New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [3.X] Extra attacks, natural attacks, AoO

Shadow Pounce from the Telflammer Shadow Lord and Crinti Shadow Marauder (Shining South) gives you a full round attack every time you move using an ability with the teleport descriptor (including all those cheap low-distance teleport X/day items in magic item compendium). You can usually rack up 3-4 full rounds per round (more if you use the teleport weapon enchancement and stab yourself mid-full round).

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneKionchi View Post
    Shadow Pounce from the Telflammer Shadow Lord and Crinti Shadow Marauder (Shining South) gives you a full round attack every time you move using an ability with the teleport descriptor (including all those cheap low-distance teleport X/day items in magic item compendium). You can usually rack up 3-4 full rounds per round (more if you use the teleport weapon enchancement and stab yourself mid-full round).
    Works best with Jaunter and Blade of Orien levels.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Wow, unbalanced much. What class/level is that? Do you have a pg #?
    Lost Empires of Faerun 33. Sorc/Wiz 5. Close Range, Target 1 Creature/Level.

Awesome, right?

Duration 1 Round.

Of course, you could theoretically use Ocular Spell to get rid of the AoE but make it persistent, with the right exploitation of metamagic. (Not that I'm suggesting this.)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for all the updates. I've come to the conclusion that a good guideline to shoot for is 1 Feat per extra attack. With a Totemist, it seems like anything less then 1 attack for every soulmeld (every 2 levels) is a waste. For example:

A Kobold variant Barbarian 1/Totemist 2 gets:
    • 1 primary (normal) attack from armor spikes.
    • 2 claws from race.
    • 1 bite from race.
    • 1 tail attack from Draconic Tail feat.
    • 4 claw attacks from Girallon Arms bound to Totem chakra.
    • 1 extra attack once per day from Whirling Frenzy.
    • Pounce from Lion Totem variant.

That's 10 attacks at level 3, with one open feat. (I suggest Aberration Blood, so that you can pick up Inhuman Reach and then Deepspawn, or Improved Unarmed Strike, Prehensile Tail, and Multiweapon Fighting. If you think 10 attacks is enough, then pick up Touch of Golden Ice to add Dex damage for every attack, or some sort of Fear or other battlefield control related combo).

I would never suggest such a build in a real game (unless you're playing with a Batman Wizard). But I hope this thread proves why I so often rail against Improved Cleave and Weapon Focus.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Just thought I would mention, Anthro Giant Squids also have a Natural Bite attack.

EDIT: Funnily enough... I'm playing an Anthro Squid Totemist. He's got 13 natural attacks :)
    Last edited by Fluffles; 2010-02-16 at 09:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

A Kobold variant Barbarian 1/Totemist 2 gets:
    • 1 primary (normal) attack from armor spikes.
    • 2 claws from race.
    • 1 bite from race.
    • 1 tail attack from Draconic Tail feat.
    • 4 claw attacks from Girallon Arms bound to Totem chakra.
    • 1 extra attack once per day from Whirling Frenzy.
    • Pounce from Lion Totem variant.

That's 10 attacks at level 3, with one open feat.
    I don't think the 2 racial claw attacks stack with the 4 from Girallon Arms. Doesn't Girallon Arms overlap the 2 racial claw attacks?

Question: if this kobold had Threefold Mask of the Chimera bound to his totem chakra, would you stack his racial bite along with the bite+bite+gore from the Chimera? Or would that be another "overlap"?

As much as I love MoI, I *really* *really* wish they'd cleaned up and clarified how their natural attacks work with other natural attacks.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

If you already have two claws, then Girallon Arms only give you two more. The Chimera bite probably doesn't stack with the racial bite, just cause you can't really use your regular face with the overlap face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Updated. Thanks.

Anything else I missed? I know that there are a ton of grafts I haven't cataloged yet. Is anyone familiar with them?
    Grafts you say? I wouldn't call myself an expert but they are a favorite subject of mine.

Aboleth Grafts:
    Aboleth Tentacle graft replaces an arm but for someone without a claw/slam attack it adds a natural attack. Aboleth grafts only work on Scum and others mutated by an Aboleth though.

Fiendish Grafts:
    The Clawed Arm, Flexible Arm, and Sting Tail Fiendish grafts all make natural attacks that are "in addition to your normal attacks." Sounds ripe for abuse.

The Fiendish Jaw gives you a gore attack.

The Grappling Tentacle improves your grapple and can be used for a natural attack.

The Long Arm gives you +5 ft reach and a natural attack.

The Trampling Leg gives you.... a Trample attack.

Illithid Grafts:
    The Goring Horn gives you a natural attack (and improved bull rush.... for 8k?)

Grasping Mandibles gives a bite attack that lets you start a grapple as a free action if you hit.

Raking Tentacle gives +5ft reach and a natural attack but cant be used for weapons.

Rending Claw gives a natural claw attack.

Weapon Graft is interesting as it allows you to turn a manufactured weapon into a natural weapon by permenantly grafting it onto your arm.

Maug Grafts:
    Rollers give you a trample attack but remove your legs entirely.

Yuan-Ti Grafts:
    Serpent Arm allows you to make a bite attack with your arm (True Ogre from Tekken 3?)

All those are from the 7 page graft section in Fiend Folio. I'll check Lords of Madness and Libris Mortis for more later and post again. Also it should be noted that most of those grafts do not specifically call out that they replace a limb rather than merely adding a new one. So a liberal interpretaion would allow you as many natural attacks as your WBL (and imagination of where to put all these arms) allows you.

Edit: Libris Mortis had the following Undead Grafts that add natural attacks:

Mummified Hand gives you a slam attack that 3/per day delivers mummy rot.

Skeletal Hand gives you a claw attack.

Zombie Arm gives you a slam attack.

Libris Mortis and Lords of Madness also had some grafts that could be used for attacks but they weren't called out as Natural attacks so I skipped over them.
    Last edited by Xenogears; 2010-02-16 at 10:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    So a liberal interpretaion would allow you as many natural attacks as your WBL (and imagination of where to put all these arms) allows you.
    Easy. You graft an arm on top of another arm. It's like an arm-stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Easy. You graft an arm on top of another arm. It's like an arm-stack.
    Hmmm. I was thinking the Odopi from either MM3 or Fiend Folio. Its a ball of arms with eyes in the palms that rolls around killing and eating (apparently there is a mouth at the center of all those arms...) everything.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see War Mind PrC on your list, Person Man. At 5th level, any attack (even opportunity, cleave, etc.) can simultaneously target all creatures in two adjacent squares within his threatened area.

ETA: Hm. I've committed threadomancy. How do I avoid doing so while still contributing to this list, which is a sufficiently useful resource that people refer questions to it?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2010-10-21 at 10:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I don't see War Mind PrC on your list, Person Man. At 5th level, any attack (even opportunity, cleave, etc.) can simultaneously target all creatures in two adjacent squares within his threatened area.

ETA: Hm. I've committed threadomancy. How do I avoid doing so while still contributing to this list, which is a sufficiently useful resource that people refer questions to it?
    You (and anyone else) can send me a Private Message through the "User CP" at the top of your screen.

Thanks for the addition. I've corrected the list.

Mods, if you believe that it's reasonable, I would ask that you not lock this thread. I've noticed that I can't edit my original posts on a few of my older resource threads that are locked. Don't know why. But if it can be avoided somehow, I would appreciate it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Additional update. Race: Warforged. Slam attack.

Edit: Doh, didn't realize this was a necro. Oh well, it's at the top anyhow, and it's useful.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-10-21 at 01:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Goblin

Tribal Protector fromSword AndFist at level 2 grants you Wild Fighting,which is additional attack at cost of -2 to allattacks this turn.

EDIT: Sorry, didint realize this was a thread necromancy.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2013-03-06 at 11:39 AM.