New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Fixed that for you?
    Okay but seriously I want to know too.
    Revivication through kissing? The proposal is because he's so straitlaced he'll only kiss a wife.

Or maybe he's just too awkward to just ask for a kiss. This way he'll get the kiss without needing to ask for it specifically.

Seeing as he'll instantly become alive again and his wife will (still) be dead, he's instantly a bachelor again. That sort of cleverness is Hussifistic.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2012-04-03 at 12:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

10 days!! The internet will go mad. also what ever server he uploads act 6 act 3 to will surely be brought down.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Well Tumblr just taught me something interesting..

April 13th is John's birthday.

Hussie plans an update on April 13h.

April 14th is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the titanic.

John is on a very big boat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

LET IT SINK! LET THE LIFEBOATS SPONTANEOUSLY COM BUST! DIE SHIPPING DIE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't a shipping wall i'm talking about. This is a real, physical, golden boat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh...crap. Nah its a bit too unrelated.
    A little condescending

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Oh...crap. Nah its a bit too unrelated.
    I really don't think you can ever make that statement about Homestuck with a straight face.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Well Tumblr just taught me something interesting..

April 13th is John's birthday.

Hussie plans an update on April 13h.

April 14th is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the titanic.

John is on a very big boat.
    also note that 4/13 was when Homestuck started. (well it was like 4/10 or something but Hussie didn't like making every page flash and so redid them).
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

While that would be pretty crazy, I suspect not. If any giant ship is going to encounter trouble, it'll be the Condesce's battleship, since the pattern for Act 6 appears to be "Beta Kids during the main sections, Alpha Kids and Trolls during the Intermissions", and Intermission 2 just ended.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Orc in the Playground

Or Hussie will just sink the Dirk/Jake ship...
    Remember: Canon is what is used for shooting holes in ships.
    I don't know if we're doing intros here. Hi, I'm Mizzim (or Miranda, or some other derivation thereof) and ridiculously obsessed with Homestuck.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and
    "tics" meaning "little insects"

11. - Top - End - #671
    Banned

Oh my god, this is so adorable.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mizzim View Post
    Or Hussie will just sink the Dirk/Jake ship...
    Remember: Canon is what is used for shooting holes in ships.
    I don't know if we're doing intros here. Hi, I'm Mizzim (or Miranda, or some other derivation thereof) and ridiculously obsessed with Homestuck.
    ===> Retrieve Arms from Chest
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ===> Retrieve Arms from Chest
    Don't be ridiculous. Your arms are in your BACKPACK, right next to your BLACK LAPTOP.
    (guess I'm doing one of these, then?)
    Your name is MIRANDA, or MIZZIM. You like WEBCOMICS, but also enjoy reading BOOKS. You are obsessed with BRITISH TV, despite being American. You really wish that MAGIC WAS REAL, but have a feeling that you'll be disappointed. You have a tendency to ship kismesissitudes, such as in DOCTOR WHO and X-MEN, but you also hope that some of your favorite potential matespritships from HOMESTUCK and VARIOUS FANFICTIONS come true. You despise BAD GRAMMAR AND/OR SPELLING, but most of the time won't call it out. You wish that you were better at typing these RIDICULOUSLY LONG INTRODUCTIONS, and would like to conclude by saying that all of the different ROLE AND ASPECT TESTS have given you different answers, so if someone could provide a good one it might be nice.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

You made my smile so much bigger by actually doing it. xD

...should I do one too?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Orc in the Playground

Sure! :D
    They can only get more hilarious as more are made.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

I finally got why I disliked Dirk.

He is dave 2.0. Thats the most important part.

Whilst all the other Alpha characters have different feels, different characters and different abilities then their predecessors, Dirk feels like nothing more then a more powerful and more annoying Dave.

Hes also much more powerful then the rest of the alphas

Whilst dave had occasional speed boosts Dirk can sustain it permanently.

While this is similar to what Bro had, bro was both a guardian (So its alright for them to be badassier then the kids), and knew how to use it without looking like a dumbass.

He used it to toy with dave as he wasn't actually trying to kill him. And when he fought Jack the first time, he attempted to out-speed him. Jack had teleportation so they where matched. The next time, he used cal as a distraction and then fought with him. This worked better as he also had davesprite support.
    Dirk on the other hand, used it pointlessly. Why distract the brute when you could have chopped him into soufflé 20 times over? To show off?

His robots are insane and could very simply replace all the characters (Except for dirk. He SPARS with his bots).

He also plays an annoying puppet-master
    It was alright when Jade was the one with the knowledge and more power then the rest of the kids since she wasn't this grating.
    She HELPED everybody else, not messed around with them because she was a jerk. He toys with english pointlessly.

Also he looks stupid.
    A little condescending

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Sure! :D
    They can only get more hilarious as more are made.
    Your name is EMILY LORN, or sometimes LIX LORN, or any of a dozen aliases. You're heading slowly towards your TENTH SOLAR SWEEP, and are a LITTLE WEIRDED OUT by that number. You LIVE ON THE INTERNET, between computer games, forums, and webcomics, favourites of which involve HOMESTUCK, XKCD and KEYCHAIN OF CREATION. You identify WAY TOO MUCH with Eridan's constantly failing search for redrom, due to UTTERLY HORRENDOUS ROMANTIC LUCK. You have the BEST MOIRAIL EVER, but let's not dwell on that. You like roleplaying games and have a NAUGHTY STREAK at least a mile wide. You are a brony, a gamer, and consider yourself an AUTHOR, albeit relatively lapsed.

Your main homestuck self insert, and the pesterhandle you use to be OOC is rainbowDreams. Your quirk means that your state of mind can be determined by the quality of your grammar.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

I finally got why I disliked Dirk.

He is dave 2.0. Thats the most important part.

Whilst all the other Alpha characters have different feels, different characters and different abilities then their predecessors, Dirk feels like nothing more then a more powerful and more annoying Dave.

Hes also much more powerful then the rest of the alphas

Whilst dave had occasional speed boosts Dirk can sustain it permanently.

While this is similar to what Bro had, bro was both a guardian (So its alright for them to be badassier then the kids), and knew how to use it without looking like a dumbass.

He used it to toy with dave as he wasn't actually trying to kill him. And when he fought Jack the first time, he attempted to out-speed him. Jack had teleportation so they where matched. The next time, he used cal as a distraction and then fought with him. This worked better as he also had davesprite support.
    Dirk on the other hand, used it pointlessly. Why distract the brute when you could have chopped him into soufflé 20 times over? To show off?

His robots are insane and could very simply replace all the characters (Except for dirk. He SPARS with his bots).

He also plays an annoying puppet-master
    It was alright when Jade was the one with the knowledge and more power then the rest of the kids since she wasn't this grating.
    She HELPED everybody else, not messed around with them because she was a jerk. He toys with english pointlessly.
    That's sort of the point, though. Where Dave acts badass to cover his insecurity, Dirk really thinks that he's all that. AR has called him on it a couple of times; remember the sequence when Dirk is all "I can run my dreamself and my real self at the same time because I'm just so awesome" and then AR was all "Dude you just wasted like twenty minutes staring into space for no reason you're actually kind of crap at multitasking"?

Dirk's problem is that he thinks he's this grand puppet-master, and that everything he does is an intricate and beautiful plan that will lead to inevitable victory, but there are already cracks forming in the facade, and he can't just make everyone do what he wants.

He and Dave are superficially the same, but they're actually almost exact opposites.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    That's sort of the point, though. Where Dave acts badass to cover his insecurity, Dirk really thinks that he's all that. AR has called him on it a couple of times; remember the sequence when Dirk is all "I can run my dreamself and my real self at the same time because I'm just so awesome" and then AR was all "Dude you just wasted like twenty minutes staring into space for no reason you're actually kind of crap at multitasking"?

Dirk's problem is that he thinks he's this grand puppet-master, and that everything he does is an intricate and beautiful plan that will lead to inevitable victory, but there are already cracks forming in the facade, and he can't just make everyone do what he wants.

He and Dave are superficially the same, but they're actually almost exact opposites.
    Which kind of makes sense, if you consider each Kid's relationship with their guardian.

Bro was really All that. All the Guardians were badass, Dave is raised by Bro, so he's riddled with Insecurities. Everything he does, he thinks Bro does better, Bro is at once his role model and his tormentor. Dave's only response is to never let it show, to adopt the attitude of "Yeah, my Bro is more awesome than I am, but I'm too cool to care", which is a lie. He DOES care, and it's constantly eating away at him. He's built his entire persona around his Bro's values, one of which is to not show anything.

Dirk, by contrast, had Dave as a distant figure, a celebrity from the past he claimed as his brother. He didn't grow up with Dave mocking his puppets through several layers of ingenious irony, with an adult Dave beating the **** out of him in order to keep his skills sharp, or sneakily replacing his completed homework with SBaHJ comics about multiplication. Instead, all he has is pictures of Dave posing with famous filmstars, wearing his distinctive shades, probably giving some sort of Ironic thumbs-up. Dave, who battled against the Batterwitch and exists only as a role model. As a result, his thought process is 'Yeah, our situations are different, but in the end I'm a lot like Dave". And so, rather than Insecurity, you get Overconfidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

This still isn't enough to really convince me.
    Oh noes he wasted 20 minutes! Thats not really enough to balance out everything else.
    A little condescending

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

This still isn't enough to really convince me.
    Oh noes he wasted 20 minutes! Thats not really enough to balance out everything else.
    Balance out what exactly? Power and fighting prowess is not exactly a determinant of character potential. Given his circumstances, the honed skills make plenty of sense. And the arrogant posturing in fights? You use Bro as an example but Bro is simply not Dirk. Bro was born on an earth that was not under the direct control of the Condesce and had years to mature. On the other hand we have Dirk, who likely grew up in a completely manner.

The 20 minutes example wasn't an example of a weakness balancing out his strengths. It was to show that Dirk is not nearly as in control as he likes to believe and the other characters are beginning to call him out for it. I wouldn't be surprised if all of his manipulations turned and bit him in the ass further into the session. And in his own twisted way he does think he's helping the other kids. He's doing it in a very roundabout way and thinks very little of their personal input regarding his 'aid' but he is not doing any of it simply because he is a jerk.

Honestly, I don't really like Dirk either; he's an overbearing string puller who thinks himself more capable than he really is. He may have good intentions but I simply hate the way he acts.

So nobody is trying to convince you to like Dirk but I think the explanations provided by BRC and Friv are perfectly valid and reasonable justifications for why and how Dirk turned out the way he did.

(And no, his robots could not replace the other kids. The robots would probably be better at fighting, but again, that is not the end all be all of character design.)

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, none of this addresses my main issue:

He is Dave 2.0. Better, stronger smarter.

Im not arguing that its not logical. Im arguing that I dislike the character.

I don't have the same issues with any of the other characters, even Roxy, who is the most similar to her mom in interests.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-04-07 at 03:56 AM.
    A little condescending

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think of Dirk as being like Dave at all, to be honest. He looks kind of like him and has the same irony thing, but he's really much closer to Rose than he is to Dave.

Dirk is all about understanding people and manipulating, or at least feeling like he is- which rather tallies with Rose's fascination with psychology.

Thematically, I'm pretty sure that Dirk and Dave will have what is basically inverse character arcs. Dave's arc was about learning that he isn't just his brother and that he's awesome on his own merits. Dirk's arc, methinks, will be about how he's not as awesome as he thinks he is.

And I'm not just pulling this out of nothing. If we look at the two Knights that we've seen, they've both had insecurities and had an arc about overcoming them.

Dirk, however, is a Prince. And the other Prince we've seen, Eridan, mostly had an arc about not being as cool as he thought he was and being thwarted at every turn. And there are even parallels in their pre-Sburb characters- Eridan was making a bid to get Feferi, and he was the most powerful of the trolls at the start except possibly Vriska, due to his access to the Ahab's Crosshairs. Dirk is bidding for Jake, and he's the most powerful of the Alpha kids, although that does seem to be for innate reasons rather than just access to better weapons, but even then, it could be argued that, like Eridan, he inherited his ancestor's tech; everything in his room is something we've seen Dave use before, more or less.

I would not be surprised if Dirk and Eridan had a similar storyline. That said, I like Dirk, and I rather hope that he doesn't do the full Eridan thing, because that would be bad.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2012-04-07 at 08:06 AM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #684
    Banned

I'm glad we're having this discussion about Dave and Dirk.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't be ridiculous. Your arms are in your BACKPACK, right next to your BLACK LAPTOP.
    (guess I'm doing one of these, then?)
    Your name is MIRANDA, or MIZZIM. You like WEBCOMICS, but also enjoy reading BOOKS. You are obsessed with BRITISH TV, despite being American. You really wish that MAGIC WAS REAL, but have a feeling that you'd be disappointed. You have a tendency to ship kismesissitudes, such as in DOCTOR WHO and X-MEN, but you also hope that some of your favorite potential matespritships from HOMESTUCK and VARIOUS FANFICTIONS come true. You despise BAD GRAMMAR AND/OR SPELLING, but most of the time won't call it out. You wish that you were better at typing these RIDICULOUSLY LONG INTRODUCTIONS, and would like to conclude by saying that all of the different ROLE AND ASPECT TESTS have given you different answers, so if someone could provide a good one it might be nice.
    ...Yeah, I kind of had to do that.

You are Arrghus, or, occasionally, thousandViewpoints. Your interests include FICTION of all kinds, from WEBCOMICS to SHAKESPEARE. You occasionally enjoy CRACKING JOKES, but more often end up the STRAIGHT MAN than not. You have a STRONG CREATIVE URGE, and constantly play out new ODD FICTIONS in your head and occasionally THE INTERNET. You study to be a MATHEMATICIAN, and additionally squeeze in ARTS OF A MARTIAL INCLINATION as well as COUPLED DANCE among your many PASSIONATE INCLINATIONS. Your MENTAL FACULTIES fluctuate heavily, at times you are a PRINCE AMONG MEN. Other times, your inability to operate effectively fills you with a RAGE you've struggled to master.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

Meh, tenses. One thing I won't worry about most of the time. :P
    Hm. Has anyone found a good role/aspect test? Or blood test?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Banned

No, but I found a better version of a previous picture. I did find a birthday Role thingy.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Orc in the Playground

Ooh, preeeeeeety. The Sylphs and the Rogues look epic, even if the Rogues aren't canon.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Very nice update to those class/aspect hoodies.

Also, mizzim, I think you have started a trend that I wish to take part in.

Your name is Friv Yeti, generally Friv for short. You are a huge fan of FANTASY and MYSTERIES of all kinds, even those that you realize are KIND OF CRAP, as long as they're fun. You spend a lot of time thinking about HOW THINGS WORK, and gather vast amounts of NEARLY USELESS TRIVIA on nearly every subject imaginable. You happen to think that the Internet is the GREATEST INVENTION SINCE THE PRINTING PRESS.

You have a lot of friends, and shift between spending lots of time with them and becoming a bit of a hermit. You're also prone to wanting to be a WHITE KNIGHT, riding up and fixing everyone's problems for them, and get kind of depressed when you can't find a way to productively help out.

when you're not dabbling in MUSIC or spending a lot of time running various ROLEPLAYING GAMES, you prefer to work on your WRITING. At your best times, you combine the three together, but more often you just putter aimlessly from one thing to the next. Truth be told, it leaves a bit of a VOID in your life, but overall you're pretty happy.

Your Pesterchum handle is cynicalOptimist and you tend to accidentally hit backslash instead of enter.\
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-04-09 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Adding paragraph

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

*amused by the new trend*

Your name is MUSASHI, or MU for short. You absolutely adore ROLEPLAYING GAMES and SCIENCE, to the point of needless egregious nitpicking whenever fictional events stray too far away from reasonable suspension of disbelief. You are most CREATIVE when imposed a strict set of boundaries, and would DRAW and WRITE more if your excess artistic freedom weren't oppressing you so much.
    You are frequently prone to ANGER and can be a bit of a WITCH at times. By the way, you are also working hard to ensure you would not spout SWEARS quite as much. Because you have forgotten what is the fine line between acceptable insults and obscene threats, you can be unintentionally whimsical in your choice of vocabulary. FRACKING filters.

Your Pesterchum handle is redactedImposteur and type li%e this.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode