Default The CHALLENGE!

Ladies and Gentlemen!
    Introducing!
    The incredible!
    The fantastic!
    The glorious...
    CHALLENGE

The simple rules of the CHALLENGE are as follows:

• Each week, starting the week after you accept the CHALLENGE, you are to upload six pictures drawn by yourself. Preferably on each day, but since not everyone has daily access to a scanner you can also upload them in bunches. Sunday is the deadline.
    • The picture needs to be more than a doodle. This is the only quality regulation there is, apart from your own conscience.
    • Anyone is free to enter the CHALLENGE.
    • If you fail the CHALLENGE your name is officially announced in this thread.
    • Pictures are uploaded wherever you feel comfortable, provide a link when you enter the CHALLENGE.
    • The CHALLENGE continues for as long as there are participants.

Current participants:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rockbird - 5 weeks
    Fraudman - 5 weeks
    IncoherentEssay - 5 weeks
    Jessicat
    Concrete 1 week
    Fritzell 1 week
    Glass Mouse - 5 weeks
    HellfireLover
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2010-11-23 at 09:44 AM.

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE!

i would enter this, but neither do I have access to a scanner, nor can I draw fast
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

3. - Top - End - #3

I'd enter this.
    Except, i can't draw worth squat .
    Therefore, is it possible to substitute stuff like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

in the place of drawings? Would be 6 different figurines in the place of 6 drawings.

Is that one good enough for the CHALLENGE?
    Or is the CHALLENGE strictly for drawings?
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-14 at 01:33 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

What does THE CHALLENGE actually contain? Is there a theme? A specific topic per CHALLENGE? And where does "doodle" end?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's no theme. The intent is simply to encourage us to draw. And sculptures would certainly work too, if you think it reasonable yourself.

The CHALLENGE is a question of endurance!

As for the definition of doodle...
    Weeerll, it's not particularly strict. It's more or less meant to mean that if you feel that you've spent enough effort on the picture that it's not a doodle you made off-hand, it's fine. As a strict rule it's really meaningless, but that's not the point

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!

6. - Top - End - #6

Alright then, i'm in.
    I'll probably update in a single batch around thursday/friday. I assume we put them up wherever we normally put up stuff, and then post a 'done' notice in this thread?
    Though since i keep my stuff here on these forums, a separete 'done' note would be kinda unnecessary .
    The first deadline would be next weeks Sunday, correct ?
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll just link that thread in the op, and you're in!

First deadline is Sunday the 24th, yes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to get my stuff together to get up a sketchbook first, but I might be able to make the next deadline.
    Don't put my name up just yet, though. I don't want public humiliation if I'm slow about making an online sketch book
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbird View Post
    I'll just link that thread in the op, and you're in!

First deadline is Sunday the 24th, yes.
    So the next deadline would be the 31st right? And the first day of the next Challenge is the 25th right? Just trying to understand that. I can't do it this time, but I'd like to try the next round.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    So the next deadline would be the 31st right? And the first day of the next Challenge is the 25th right? Just trying to understand that. I can't do it this time, but I'd like to try the next round.
    Yes and no. The next deadline is indeed the 31st, but the CHALLENGE doesn't end with each deadline. There is only one CHALLENGE, which is to keep going for as many weeks as you can. The deadlines are used as progress markers, if you will.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm attempting a "draw every day" movement. I'm in. Do I just post them here?
    Vote if you roll 20s! Help me put my graphic novel into print.

So make the Bad Horse gleeful
    Or he’ll make you his mare….

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Preferably you'd set up a gallery somewhere else (I use DeviantArt). Things might get a bit cluttered here otherwise . Just provide a link to wherever you choose to upload the pictures.

13. - Top - End - #13

Hmm. I has a deviantart. That could work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Yes and no. The next deadline is indeed the 31st, but the CHALLENGE doesn't end with each deadline. There is only one CHALLENGE, which is to keep going for as many weeks as you can. The deadlines are used as progress markers, if you will.
    Based on that, I think sooner or later everyone will mess up. Nobody has that kind of time where they can create a brand new piece of art every day and put it online as well as handle the responsibilities of real life. I think you need to rethink that bit.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, i believe the IRONMAN-elements of the challenge are half the point really. It's something of a (potentially quite short-lived) 'just one more week' challenge.
    I do agree though that a more readily achievable 3-4 would go a long way towards wider participation. Besides, squeezing out 6 works/week is going to burn through creative juices something fierce. The risk of falling into a mass-production routine, and the resulting drop in quality are a considerable downside to an otherwise self-improvement focused effort.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-16 at 03:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Essay's got it right. Yes, eventually you'll fail. When that happens to me what I'm going to do is note how long i kept it up and then start right over! As for burning through creative juices... I guess it might, depending on how exacting a standard you keep yourself to. The intention isn't for you to create a finished, polished piece of fine art every day. Rather it's about having made something every day. When i originally discussed the idea with my friends it was actually 7 pictures a week (one a day), i reduced it to six so that we'll have some leeway.

I'll keep it as it is for now, at least. If it turns out that 6 a week is too much we'll deal with that then.

On a personal note i think it would be reasonable for IncoherentEssay to do less that 6 a week since sculptures seems like they'd take longer to make, but that's something i leave up to him.

EDIT: But that gives me an idea... Perhaps it could be done as follows: When you enter you decide how many works a week you think you can manage, and as long as you keep that number up... It's worth considering. Hmm...
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2010-10-17 at 04:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Maybe a sort-of sliding scale would be a good option?
    Start off at 6/week. If you fail to meet that, drop down to 5/week for the next week. Fail that and its down to 4/week, and so on, until finally dropping ou completely if 1/week is not met. A 'rankings' of sort would be kept in the 1st post for how many/week each participant is at.
    Maybe have the option to go back up when 4 deadlines have been met in a row? So people would naturally stabilize at the pace they can keep. Also means people can cope with any RL schedule shifts without dropping out entirely. And if someone feels like 6/week is easy-mode, they can keep going upwards to the pics/h bracket .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I would participate, but I'd honestly appreciate a few theme challenges - it would help me avoid getting in a rut, style-wise.
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I have been a nonproductive slob for too long now...
    I'm joining.
    *Determined-face*
    My deviantart.
    Last edited by Concrete; 2010-10-19 at 04:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireLover View Post
    I would participate, but I'd honestly appreciate a few theme challenges - it would help me avoid getting in a rut, style-wise.
    Well this wouldn't be too hard to organise. Every week someone can suggest a theme and you can do a drawing on it. Or ten drawings. Whatever you want. :D

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I don't want to make any mandatory theme weeks I can sure sympathize with wanting more inspiration.

So let's do it like Jessicat said and take turns suggesting something. This weeks almost done, so who's got an idea for next week?
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2010-10-20 at 05:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

All right! I've been working towards this CHALLENGE since I first posted here, so better make it official - I'm in!

For themes, maybe we should just start at the top of the list?
    So, the first to suggest a theme (for next week) would be.... Rockbird
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right, do you have a gallery i can link?

The only problem with going down the list is that not everyone on it is actually on these forums. But apart from that... Let's see, think, think...

The theme for next week is... food. Foodstuffs, chefs, meals, hunting, it's all good. As long as it's relatedly to food.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

I've just been told I'm no longer required at work, so I'm definitely in. Various media. I have a (neglected) devart account, will link to it later.
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Eep! That was as late as I could get it.

I've started a sketchbook here.

I kinda feel like, dunno, cheating, since I count my comic pages among the week's 6 and then won't post them (I work with a buffer, and the most recently drawn pages tend to be very spoiler-y).
    I hope the fact that three comics do indeed show up on my comic's homepage is enough proof that I continually work
    (if not, then... uh, I guess I've already lost the challenge. Please be merciful.)

The theme sounds cool. I'll try to use it next week.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd love to join, but it's rare for a piece to take me only one day to finish. =C
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

aaand by this point we can certainly call the first week done, no matter what funky time zone people are in.

It is my unfortunate duty to say that...

Jessicat, you failed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Jessicat, you failed.
    Haha! Perfect link!

Sad about Jessicat, though. But didn't we do the "if you fail one week, you can try the next one, just at a reduced goal", or was that just an idea?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was an idea, and a good one. But i kinda feel that it takes away from the whole thing; it's not supposed to be forgiving .
    On the other hand, there's nothing stopping her from signing up again, she just won't get a fancy "1 week" marker in the listing in the first post .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I picked a new place to post my entries:Here
    Last edited by Concrete; 2010-10-30 at 08:53 PM.