New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Sneak Attack and Eversmoking Bottle questions

Suppose a Dark Creeper (FF) pulls out an Eversmoking Bottle in a room full of enemies.

Since vision is totally obscured by the Bottle, do enemies lose Dex bonus to AC? (Dumb question, I know, but AFB at the moment.)

Does the Dark Creeper take any sort of penalty to hitting enemies in the fog using only his Blindsight?

If the Bottle is still expelling smoke, does the center of the spread move with the Bottle? Does it move if the Bottle has finished expelling smoke?

Simple questions, but any help (and sources) would be greatly appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sneak Attack and Eversmoking Bottle questions

I believe they retain Dex to AC, as they are not blind and the Dark Creeper is not invisible, but I could be wrong.

The Dark Creeper takes no penalty for using blindsight, because it's cool like that. It'd be a very different story if he had blindsense.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    I believe they retain Dex to AC, as they are not blind and the Dark Creeper is not invisible, but I could be wrong.
    They are actually blind, assuming they rely on standard sight as their means of seeing; that's what 'vision is totally obscured' means. Treat the area covered by smoke as if it were in total darkness - basically, unless you have some alternate sense to compensate (like the mentioned critter's Blindsight) you treat everything and everybody as if it were invisible to you. (Invisibility is defined as 'visually undetectable', btw - it's not just the magical effect of being invisible, the same rules cover any situation where you can't see something.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, well then. Good to know. Thanks for the correction.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

To answer your second question, blindsight bypasses concealment, therefore you would be able to pinpoint targets as well as sneak attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)