New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Rorik glanced at Adelbert, as if only just noticing his existence.

"Hvem er han?" he asked to his lieutenant.
    "En sydlig hvalp. Kelda beskyttede ham."

The Jarl looked curious for a moment. "Later," was all he said to Adelbert.

One by one, the Ravenskirders were sidling out of the chapel, still looking petrified of the rough mob that surrounded them. Costin looked like he had taken a blow to the head, and Adelbert recognised another one of his attackers on the road, now unarmed and looking rather the worse for wear.

The dark-haired woman approached the Jarl and said something in her harsh language, pointing towards the chapel. Rorik shook his head, gesturing towards the assembled raiders behind him.

Turning to his followers, he raised his voice to address them. "Leave these ones be," he said, "but take what you like from the rest. In the morning we march!"

A great cheer went up from the hill-men, who began dispersing into the streets with wild whoops and shouts. Adelbert heard the splintering of wood as a door was kicked in, and frightened female voices rose from inside.

Rorik murmured something to his red-haired lieutenant, who strode after the looters with a somewhat more purposeful gait. As the other Norscans gathered round him, the Jarl turned back to Adelbert.

"Arne, Asgeir, hente brænde," he said, and the two fair-haired men split off to head into the village. "So, Empire man," he said. "Where in this town do they keep the liquor?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert caught Kaja's eye and nodded at Cezar, quietly urging the boy to stick by the pries for the moment. Then he shot a malicious glare at Costin.

"Jarl Rorik, there is a bunkhouse here. If anyone has drink he will. This way my lord," he turned and walked slowly in the direction of Costin's bunkhouse. "There!"

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Good," said Rorik, clapping Adelbert on the shoulder hard enough to hurt. "Follow."

The look of sudden comprehension on Costin's blood-streaked face was replaced by one of sudden panic. Stumbling out of the shadow of the chapel, he trailed after them at a cautious distance. Kaja also seemed unhappy at bwing left behind: wriggling away from Cezar, he ran to catch up with Adelbert.

Reaching the bunkhouse, Rorik went straight for the ale barrels. Breaking one open, he plunged in a cup and took a sip, before spitting it onto the floorboards.

"You drink this swill?" he asked, before turning to the dark-haired woman and beginning to issue more commands. The few hill-men who had followed them immediately moved to obey, picking up the heavy barrels and hauling them outside. Costin clutched at his hair as one by one, they began to break them open and pour their contents into the marsh.

"What - what are you doing?" he said, scrambling to the water's edge. "No, you can't - that's my livelihood!"

"My men will drink themselves blind on your livelihood if I don't stop them," said Rorik. "Keep the spirits," he said to the dark-haired woman, "but set a guard."

She nodded, and set out to explore the rest of the bunk-house. "Hey," she called out, "there's a big horse back here."

"Kill it and roast it for the men," Rorik called back. "It's been a hard march, they'll want some good meat.'

"Please, sir, I beg of you," grovelled Costin, clutching at the hem of Rorik's cloak. "Don't kill my horse. He's been with me since he was a little foal, I couldn't bear it, sir, please!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

The Painford Road
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo was sat up straight, staring westwards. "Shh... Listen!"

A pause.

"Didn't you hear that? A horn! That came from... The marshes? From back towards Mirino?"

OOC: Does Ludo recognise the horn as mirinoan? Did we hear a nekheharan horn in the tomb?

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "If you want to take his watch, that's fine with me," he said to Elsa.

"Shh... Listen! Didn't you hear that? A horn! That came from... The marshes? From back towards Mirino?"

"I didn't hear anything," he said, craning his neck towards the swamp and listening for a second horn. "Are you certain it came from the marsh? I can't imagine anyone getting men through there."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-06-21 at 11:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert was too worn and frightened to speak or do much, but he did hold Kaja's hand in his own (good) hand. He did look alarmed at Rorik's mention of the horse - and Costin's lie.

"Jarl Rorik I beg of you... Magnus, that horse belongs to a comrade of mine I was to meet in Painford; Brother Cezar, the priest of Morr can vouch he was with the party I road in on. If you check the bags you will find tools blessed by the priest of my goddess and a lute belonging to my friend. I... I have some knowledge of healing and if your men need help I would see to them to pay you for your mercy and justice."

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    A look of irritation crossed Rorik's face. "I don't care which of you it belongs to," he said. "It's good meat." He paused, and narrowed his eyes at Costin. "You thought you could lie to me?"

"No!" gabbled Costin, backing away and pointing at Adelbert. "No, he's the liar! I've had that horse since I was a boy!"

Stepping forwards, Rorik caught Costin by the scruff of the neck. Dragging him through into the bunkhouse's muddy yard, he threw him down in front of where the dark-haired woman and two of the hill-men were trying to bring Magnus under control. Adelbert noticed that the horse was unladen - the Ravenskirders had clearly stashed his stolen goods somewhere else.

"Call it," the Jarl commanded, as Costin picked himself up out of the slimy mud. "Let's see if the beast is as fond of you as you say."

The men struggling with Magnus backed off. Looking nervously left and right, Costin tentatively extended a hand towards the horse.

"Here... here boy," he began. "There's a good horse... remember me?"

Ears flat against his head, Magnus backed away. The hill-men laughed as the expression on Costin's face turned increasingly desperate.

"Now you," said Rorik, propelling Adelbert forward alongside Costin with a forceful push.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #788

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Surveying the theft Adelbert was nearly as angry as he was terrified, but only nearly. He tentatively approached the horse palms out, expression hopeful. "Good boy Magnus, good horse."

He suddenly wished he'd spent more time with animals and less with books. Or even books about animals. He could list the names of every horse the companions of Giles le Breton had ridden at the Battle of Châlons but somehow that knowledge seemed of little help in this situation.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Snorting and lowering his head, Magnus did a skittish little shuffle before slowly moving towards Adelbert. One by one, the heads of the raiders standing around the muddy yard turned to stare at Costin.

"Now, look, that doesn't mean anything... he's probably got an apple in his pocket, he loves apples..."

One of the hill-men knocked the blabbering innkeeper to the ground, where he sprawled wheezing in the mud. Rorik loomed over him.

"You little weasel," he snarled, drawing his sword. "This how you respect your betters in the marshlands, hey? Lying to their faces?"

"Please! Please, no!" shrieked Costin, scrabbling away through the mud. "You swore! You swore you wouldn't harm me!"

Rorik stopped. "You're right," he said, lowering the blade. "And unlike you, little man, I'm a man of my word."

There was a long pause, as Costin stopped his futile attempts to flee.

"I didn't say anything about protecting you, though." Rorik turned to Adelbert, holding out his sword hilt-first. "This man tried to cheat you, Empire man. What do you want to do with him?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #790

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber
    Spoiler
    Show

Adelbert had gone very pale but with an effort he turned to Rorik. "He should... in my country we would put him on trial Jarl Rorik." He took hold of the sword, trying not to vomit. "But this is not my country." He turned to Costin and glared, taking a step forward, sword in hand. "My belongings Costin, where are they?"

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Rogar's shack," stammered Costin, raising his hands in supplication. "We stashed it all in the chest in Rogar's shack." Beaten, kneeling, caked in mud, he had lost all composure and dignity. "Please," he sobbed, "please, don't kill me."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #792

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert let him cower for a moment. "Jarl Rorik... this man does not deserve a clean death." He turned to Costin and pointed the sword very close to the man's forehead. "Herr Costin, you have have one chance of living; I do not know what has become of my companions. You will come with me to Painford. Should my friends live I will let you free to live as a beggar on the streets, all that you own lost. Should they be dead..."

He paused and smiled darkly. "I shall turn you over to the witch."

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Costin only whimpered. Seeing judgement apparently passed, Rorik reached over to take back his sword.

"Nobody's going to Painford," he said. "Not unless I allow them to." He sheathed the sword again. "No-one leaves this village tonight."

At that moment, Magnus whinnied and reared, the whites of his eyes showing in sudden panic. The hill-men shouted and backed away, unwilling to be brained by the horse's flailing hooves.

The cause of Magnus' distress was immediately apparent - the wolf had prowled into the yard. Its muzzle was red, its fur flecked with human blood, yet it still looked at Magnus with a vaguely hungry expression.

Rorik called out to it in his own tongue, as if its appearance were no more alarming than Ludo's dog. Unclasping his cloak, he threw it towards the wolf - it landed rather awkwardly over the animal's head.

The wolf hardly seemed to react at all. Shrugging its shoulders under the heavy cloth, it slunk into the lee of the building, dragging the cloak with it. The hill-men looked away as a series of gristly cracking sounds cut through the air, the shape beneath the cloak shifting and flowing in an unnatural fashion. If it weren't for Adelbert and Kaja standing between Magnus and the gate, the horse would have bolted - as it was it stamped and pranced madly in place, trying to get as far away from the thing beneath the cloak as possible.

At last, the figure beneath the cloak stood up. Though the lower half of her face was still painted with the blood that had smeared the wolf's snout, Adelbert immediately recognised the face of Kelda Wave-Born. The shock of her transformation was almost enough to distract him from the fact that, apart from the cloak, she had returned to human form without her clothes. It didn't seem to bother her too much.

There was an exchange of words between Kelda and the dark-haired woman in the Norse tongue that seemed like a friendly contest of taunts. Rorik cut in, pointing to Adelbert.

"Hakon says you wanted this one spared. Is it true?"

Kelda nodded, her eyes fixing on Adelbert's. The vision of the wolf, staring into his face back in the shack, immediately swam back to the forefront of his mind. "Yah," she said, "It is. I saw this one months ago, on the desert road. He is not from here."

The dark-haired woman snorted. "This much we know already," she said.

"He was travelling with others. One of them was a wizard woman," said Kelda. "A real wizard. She made the spirits of the air obey her."

Rorik looked round to Adelbert, suddenly interested. "Is this true?" he asked.

Costin, meanwhile, obviously thought he had just heard Adelbert's claim about the witch of Painford irrefutably confirmed. Still sprawled in the mud, he gaped in terror at his would-be-victim.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-21 at 07:08 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #794

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    To the part of his mind that wasn't gibbering in fear it struck Adelbert as utterly typical of his luck that a naked blonde woman would be interested in him solely because he knew someone else.

Most of the rest of his mind was gibbering in fear. He performed a painful half bow and looked at the shapechanging warrioress.

"Kelda Wave-Born speaks the truth," Adelbert admitted. "And even if you did it for another I won't forget you saved me Kelda, or the debt I owe you." Though I will try very hard t forget those noises you made as you changed.

He turned to Rorik. "Yes, Jarl Rorik, my companion is a wizard. Should all be well, she will be on the way to Painford, or already there now." He hesitated and glanced again at Kelda, before admitting: "She has already taken service with another."

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Another?" said Rorik. "Who?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #796

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert grimaced and wished he'd bit his tongue but he couldn't back out now. Besides it would not be a secret much longer if Sforza was moving to war. "The Tilean, Jarl Rorik."

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Rorik's face darkened. He gave voice to a guttural string of Norscan words that Adelbert could only assume were curses on the name of Sforza and all his kin. He hadn't expected Rorik to be happy, but this level of animosity seemed exceptional.

"Circumstances can change," said Kelda, her tone of voice seeming calculated to soothe Rorik's dark mood. "She must be bored, sitting on her arse in Last Water."

"Yes," said Rorik, seizing on the idea as it was offered. "Yes, you're right. Get your hands off that horse!" he shouted to two off the hill-men who had begun creeping back towards Magnus.

"My apologies, friend," he said to Adelbert. "You are not one of these marsh rats; you should be treated honourably. You may take your horse and whatever else you wish from these vermin." He looked Adelbert in the eye. "And you will carry my compliments to your wizard friend, yah? Tell her she should look for me in Savonne when this is over."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-22 at 06:27 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #798

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert glanced uncertainly at Kelda wondering just what going on behind those eerie blue eyes.

Turning his attention back to Rorik, he bowed. "Thank you Jarl Rorik. Kaja, follow me, and bring Magnus."

He made his way towards Rogar's shack. His arm ached and he'd have to treat it soon but he didn't want to linger here and wait for Rorik to change his mind.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Bugbear in the Playground

Scribes 0 - Others 3

Spoiler
    Show

Ludo & Viggo - Timesplit

Spoiler: Ludo & Viggo
    Show

"We could have just left... We could have just left." Viggo gave that some serious consideration. "Yes, you're right. We could have. But how many times do we walk away eh? What if next time, Sieghard isn't there and whoever decides they want us dead doesn't feel like letting us just walk away?" Viggo had a quick scratch at his head "As long as folk think we're an easy target, well, we are."

Viggo stood up and moved to kick a loose stone. "We can't just be as bad as them Ludo, we have to be worse. Folk have to be scared of the consequences. Bullies don't just stop bullying Ludo, they keep on until they're put in their place. That's what we did here today." It sounded almost as if Viggo was trying as hard to convince himself as much as he was the Halfling.

Painford Road

Grunting with exertion as he manhandled the boat into position, Viggo promised himself that from now on he would give swamps a very wide berth.

"Hey, Viggo, nice job guiding us. You do have your uses."
    The young lads mouth flapped open and his stumbled somewhat, his clumsiness allowing water to lap over the top of his boot. Even that was not enough to dampen his spirits, he puffed out his chest and grinned broadly. "Why thank you Elsa, thank you very much!" Flushed with pride it felt odd getting praise from the flame haired sorceress. Odd and yet surprisingly satisfying!, "I do try!"

When Sieghard finally allowed them to stop their weary traipse, Viggo was about to try and lighten Ludo's mood by playing him a few cheery tunes on his flute when the Halfling sat bolt upright. "Mirino?!" Viggo exclaimed with incredulity, once Ludo had told them what he'd heard."That's a bloody way off! Isn't it more likely to be whoever was roaming around with torches the other night?"

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard nodded "Most likely." Turning to Elsa, he asked "Sforza didn't mention anything about marching, did he?"

"We'll move a bit further into the forest in case they do come this way," he said after some thought. "Whoever they are, they aren't likely to stray too far from the road."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    As Adelbert prepared to leave, Costin tried to creep away in the other direction. One of the hill-men spotted him and arrested his progress with a hard kick to the stomach, leaving the innkeeper doubled over in the mud.

"Don't forget this one," the hairy man said, forcing Costin to his feet. Stepping forwards, the dark-haired woman took charge of the captive, driving him after Adelbert as the scribe headed off towards Rogar's shack.

The bodies of the men who had died in the doorway were still lying where Adelbert had last seen them, forcing him to pick his way over their tangled limbs as Kaja waited outside with the horse. Heading over to the chest, he found it locked. The Norscan woman stared meaningfully at Costin until he produced the key.

Inside were all Adelbert's stolen possessions - his sword, his armour, his boots, Sieghard's effects, Viggo's lute. Carefully unpacking them from the large chest, Adelbert discovered another, older layer beneath - perhaps the remaining belongings of whoever had been the last person to fall victim to Costin and Rogar's scam.

There were a few layers of folded clothes - a coat, two tunics, a spare pair of breeches - that looked as if they had once been quite fine, but were now badly moth-eaten. There was a rosewood box full of tall wax candles, a rusted pair of manacles, and a brass-rimmed magnifying glass of the sort Adelbert had seen in the hands of some of his more well-to-do peers back home. Finally, there was a thick book, bound in calfskin. On its front, the symbol of an owl perched atop a set of scales had been painstakingly etched into the leather.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #802

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Truthfully Adelbert would have been happy to forget about Costin but his unwillingness to kill the man meant he was stuck with him. It was a relief to find the manacles and he clamped them, none too gently, around the man's wrists. He trusted the dark haired woman to keep guard for now - not that he had much choice.

The candles and magnifying glass surprised him, and he reverently placed them next to his own recovered belongings. Then while Costin was under guard he carefully and painfully undid his sling to inspect the damage and make sure the arm was properly set. He wrapped up again; his knowlege of healing helped but he'd need to see a proper healer soon

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Healing check: (1d100)[19] vs. 46

The book he saved for last, hesitant to touch it. He cleaned his hands on the old clothes before lifting it out and, with a whispered benediction to Verena, opening it.
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-22 at 11:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    [B]Turning to Elsa, he asked "Sforza didn't mention anything about marching, did he?"
    "Not directly, no," said Elsa with a worried look, "but he implied that was a possibility."

She agreed with Sieghard that it might be best to get off the road.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

ELVS

Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't hard to find a sheltered spot some way off the road that nevertheless gave a good view of the approach. Viggo found a leafy hollow that looked like an excellent spot from which to keep a watch, the tangle of trunks and roots surrounding it fit to conceal a small regiment.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The book was written in Classical - but in the modern form that was favoured in the schools of the Tilean city-states. It opened with a dedication to Verena, followed by pages of meticulously copied scripture. The Sword and the Scale, the strictures of Caccino - the vellum pages were covered with passages of Verenan lore.

The second half of the book was written in a less formal hand, and appeared to be full of notes. From what Adelbert could discern from a quick skim-reading, the book had belonged to a travelling priest of the goddess, and these were his case notes. He had travelled from town to town and village to village, acting as a judge to settle disputes and an investigator when the guilty parties could not be brought to heel.

The writing ended some way before the end, leaving a sizeable portion at the back blank.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #805

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Very carefully Adelbert tucked the book under his good arm and called Kaja in to help him load up Magnus.

"Costin, how long have you and Rogar had this book?" Adelbert asked, voice dangerous.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "What?" said Costin, disoriented and panicked. "I don't know. Years, must be." He squirmed in the Norscan woman's grip. "I don't know everything he stashed in there."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #807

BlackDragon

Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show

Adelbert looked at him silently for a long moment, enough to make him squirm, then turned away to speak to Kaja. He smiled at the boy, wearily.

"You've been a brave and smart lad my boy and I'm glad I've got another pair of eyes I can trust on the road."

He showed the boy the book he had recovered. "This is from an adventurer, just like us, and a priest like Im going to be. You aren't the only one who could do with more schooling. Well, we better go, the road is waiting. If Costin looks like he is about to run throw something at him."

The initiate led the horse by the reins and tied the manacled Costin to the saddle. Then they were off.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "You're a fool to let this one live," said the dark-haired woman, stepping out of the shack as Adelbert made the final adjustments to Magnus' harness. "He already plans to strangle you in your sleep."

Looking round, Adelbert found himself looking straight into the Norscan's eyes. She was no older than Kelda, with the same piercing blue irises - though her face was paler and more serious. Her cloak was pinned across a shoulder with a brooch of silver knotwork, the twists of metal woven into the shape of a raven on the wing.

She stepped forward, Costin cringing involuntarily at her approach. "If you'll take my advice, you'll kill him and drop his body in the marsh. Then ride through the night." She looked up at Magnus, who snorted irritably in reply. "A wise man would be far from here before morning."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #809

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert glanced at her doubtfully. "I will be far from here. Your sister in arms Kelda might have saved me but I've no doubt she'd skin me without a care if it got my friend the witch to Rorik's court." He shivered at the thought and glanced at Costin, then back at the stranger.

"Why do you care what becomes of me dark haired one?"

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "My name is Sanne," the woman said. "Your safety is your own concern, but I'd rather you didn't cost the boy his life too."

She squinted at Adelbert, as if trying to read words written on his skin. "I think it was fate that brought you here. Or perhaps that brought us to you. A great change is coming, and you will be a part of it." Looking down, she stepped back. "Travel safely, Empire man. Watch that one."

Pointing her knife at Costin one last time for emphasis, she slipped off back into the dark.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb