New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Terrible subversions/ Parodies.

Heinlein accidentally made the Starship Troopers book fascist. He was later sorry for doing that when he realized what he was doing...
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-04 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Getting back to the actual OP...

Judge Dredd, the Stallone version. Okay, it ain't actually a bad movie, just flashy and dumb, but it missed the point of the comics, which actually are an examination of pseudo-fascist cop movies. Hence, it is a bad subversion.

Actually bad movies which are supposed to be clever? Sucker Punch, hands down.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Black Sheep. One of the worst Zombie Parody movies I've ever seen. Actually walked out of my friends house who was showing it as a movie night.
    See I don't get this one, it was a decent comedy I thought and captured New Zealand pretty well, it was just excessive enough to work.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    But there were some actual funny jokes in that 3.5 hours. I don't think I have ever laughed at an F&S movie.
    The only times I laughed during those whole 3.5 hours were shots of the horrible CGI spaceships* and I think maybe one other time and I forget what.

*Yeah, I know the the special was made on a very limited budget and those were the best effects they could get, but still, the images of the spacecrafts were laughably unrealistic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    Oh but on topic: what Soras said--truly great parodies feel almost/actually loving. They aren't just saying "look how dumb this is," they are poking fun at the foibles of a beloved property/genre.
    Which is why Young Frankenstein is a good parody, and Epic Movie (or Meet the Spartans, or Date Movie, or Scary Movie 3/4...) is not.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    I think you're taking it a bit too seriously and are a bit too defensive of anime. More to the point given the nerd generation that the majority of futurama's writers came from they were most likely parodying anime that they grew up on rather than what is around right now. Just like the video game segment wasn't about Gears of War and Wii Sports, but was about games that were far older. It is an episode about the past and silly things that come from it.
    Well I didn't think that much of the other segments either, real diminishing returns that episode... how yes I'm almost certainly biased.

I'd say if you want some sort of she-hulk woman who defeats people in a single punch then she should look the part and be muscular enough to actually do said punching. There are muscular women out there hollywood simply doesn't hire them. Either that or have the slim waifs use fighting styles that emphasize speed and mobility due to their massive lack of muscle mass, and just generally try to not be hit during the fights.
    A reasonable idea but perhaps a little easier said then done. Depending on the specifics involve you could quickly start talking a fairly limited spread of women with the above average height, mass, and shoulders to pull off that look. She Hulk even by comic book's exaggerated standards is an exception.

Also your last bit largely describes waif-fu pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Heinlein accidentally made the Starship Troopers book fascist. He was later sorry for doing that when he realized what he was doing...
    Umm when and where, just curious?

It would be hard for the movie to actually be farther from the book. No rather that would probably be better. It possibly the worst possible "parody" because it essentially lies about its material's point of view and entire operating methodology by going almost exactly opposite of it.

In the movie the drill sergeanant throws a knife through someone's hand and spouts Full Metal Jacket all over again. In the book while the drill instructor does break an arm at one point its mostly by accident and treated as such, and he actually stops to explain and educate on why he does things he does, and why the military in general does things it does.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-11-04 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Decided I didn't need the rant I had

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

For another example, while the movie version is basically brainwashing the entire planet toward military service, the book uses a multiple amputee with the crudest possible prosthetics as the greeter at the recruiting station, to scare away most recruits.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well I didn't think that much of the other segments either, real diminishing returns that episode... how yes I'm almost certainly biased.
    I thought it was fairly mediocre as far as futurama too but not because it poorly researched, just so of short on the funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    A reasonable idea but perhaps a little easier said then done. Depending on the specifics involve you could quickly start talking a fairly limited spread of women with the above average height, mass, and shoulders to pull off that look. She Hulk even by comic book's exaggerated standards is an exception.

Also your last bit largely describes waif-fu pretty well...
    Given how often hollywood finds women several standard deviations from the norm when selecting for other attributes I don't think it would be too hard. Now it would be difficult to change the overall culture of Hollywood to make it happen but we're just speaking on broad practicality here.

Then again there is also the option of just giving women guns. The great equalizer.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The subversion I've always loathed was The Cold Equations. In order to subvert the "Science always saves the day!" trope of contemporay science fiction, the author set up a situation so contrived that, not only would preventing the girl's death be extremely trivial, the sort of mission described in the story would nearly always fail due to elementary engineering. Besides that, there was enough explicitly-identified junk in the ship to make up the 40-80 kg of mass that the girl took up.
    Also, if the ship really was carrying the exact calculated amount of fuel to make the trip given its precise measured mass, then it's too late for ejecting the girl to do anything, because the ship already burned extra fuel taking off with her on it.

And of course, even if they let the ship crash, the speed of impact would be a few m/s at most. You know, because adding a single human's mass onto a starship results in a comparably minuscule change in how the physics play out.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-11-06 at 08:03 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

That's quite true, but trivial. If they calculated the fuel so precisely, then the ship would be guaranteed to crash. It is a physical impossibility to keep your engines on such a tight tolerance that 80 kilos of mass on a ship large enough to walk around in would be fatal.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Can I name a certain internet reviewer who's not funny or insightful?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

RedLetterMedia?

*awaits flames*

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Erik von Nein View Post
    RedLetterMedia?

*awaits flames*

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Can I name a certain internet reviewer who's not funny or insightful?
    Well if it's BB he doesn't do parodies or subversions. He just reviews things and you don't like him. I don't think it's at all relevant.

Mind you if it's someone else who does parody and/or subvert things then by all means lay into them.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Well if it's BB he doesn't do parodies or subversions. He just reviews things and you don't like him. I don't think it's at all relevant.
    Aw, come on! He incorporates parody in his reviews. He totally "mocks" and/or "riffs" the films. That should count!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Fallbot View Post
    Your Highness, a high fantasy 'parody'. The one and only time I've considered walking out of a movie theater.
    That was pretty terrible. I only got through the first third of it before I gave up.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually enjoy BB.

His skits suck, but I do enjoy him reviews. Mostly because he reviews things I never heard about.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Might I ask who BB is?
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    Might I ask who BB is?
    Blockbuster Buster. He reviews stuff on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. Personally I've watched a few of his episodes and I don't find him all that funny or interesting. But I figure, hey, some folks do and he isn't actively wrong or dumb like other reviewers I've glanced through.

Dr. Epic however seems to hate his guts with a passion that is both disturbing and confusing when pointed at a rather harmless internet reviewer. I've seen him bring up his hatred of the guy for absolutely no reason and just rant about how horrible he is. Don't know why exactly, but then I've more or less stopped trying to figure Dr. Epic out.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly think he gets better over time.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Isn't the author a guy who suggests fascism as government and suggests mass family orgies?
    The man wrote also Stranger in a strange land. Just saying.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    The man wrote also Stranger in a strange land. Just saying.
    Yes.

Yes he did.

Also: Sue me but:

I don't think SpaceBalls is a good parody. Very few of the jokes actually satirize Star wars, and most of them are crude and juvenile.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think SpaceBalls is a good parody. Very few of the jokes actually satirize Star wars, and most of them are crude and juvenile.
    I still find SpaceBall sufficiently funny and discretely good (some gags are absolute masterpieces, but on the whole the film's quality is frayed), but yeah, crude jokes are not strange to Brooks. When there are too many, it becomes annoying.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-07 at 05:26 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

24. - Top - End - #54

Spaceballs is one of Brooks' worst but I wouldn't call it terrible. I find it perfectly watchable, and with a few really cool ideas and gags. Overall it seems to be his least deliberate film, with jokes drifting in and drifting out with no real rhyme or reason. "We've been jammed" is still great though.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Spaceballs is one of Brooks' worst but I wouldn't call it terrible. I find it perfectly watchable, and with a few really cool ideas and gags. Overall it seems to be his least deliberate film, with jokes drifting in and drifting out with no real rhyme or reason. "We've been jammed" is still great though.
    It's still leagues above that animated cash cow of a show G4 slapped together to make a quick buck.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Honestly I'm not a fan of the more blatant sexual humor. But I burst out laughing at "It's Megamaid! She's gone from suck to blow!"

I kind of like the throw every joke you can think of in style of the movie. While I'll admit it's no Blazing Saddles, or Young Frankenstein I still think it's pretty funny.

Actually, me and my brother still sometimes joke about "Preparing to fast forward" and "When will then be now?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spaceballs is not a good parody but it is still a pretty funny comedy.

"How many A**holes we got on this ship?!"
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Who made that man a gunner!?"
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I'm of the category that believes Robin Hood: Men In Tights is a superior comedy to Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs. I love that film. And I think it's definitely a fantastic parody - the tagline says it all. "The Legend Had It Coming". It does a fantastic job of taking off so many of the Robin Hood cliches, especially Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Also: Sue me but:

*sues*

Seriously do you think there were some jokes they missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    I'm of the category that believes Robin Hood: Men In Tights is a superior comedy to Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs. I love that film. And I think it's definitely a fantastic parody - the tagline says it all. "The Legend Had It Coming". It does a fantastic job of taking off so many of the Robin Hood cliches, especially Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves.
    Besides their Robin Hood can speak with an English accent.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-11-08 at 01:22 AM.