New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Walking the Way: A Swordsage's Handbook [Under Construction again]

Don't untyped bonuses stack? They shouldn't be considered from the same source since it's 2 different classes...
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

As they are both a class feature and named the same, they count as the same source.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, if we're going by RAW, you can't qualify for both at the same time.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-08-07 at 09:28 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #64

MonkGuy

Facepalm.

Moar derps
    This is what I get for posting in a minmax thread without being a rules lawyer.
    Dang, so swordsage doesn't really get anything of note from monk.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

The bonus feats, save bump and access to some nifty feats (Sun School and I think reaping talons) are a good trade off IMO
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marcielle View Post
    Dang, so swordsage doesn't really get anything of note from monk.
    Bonus feats that you don't have to qualify for. Excellent for, say, Combat Expertise without 13 int or PA while dumping strength.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

7. - Top - End - #67

MonkGuy

... MONKS GET POWER ATACK?
    (or did you mean some other PA?)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Just call me Dusk

9. - Top - End - #69

MonkGuy

Thank you. This would be downright NASTY if Shocktrooper didn't require BAB +6.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

What?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

MonkGuy

Gives you 2 prereqs for shocktrooper just in time for you to take your next feat, only thing you wouldn't have would be BAB requirement. But you probably knew that so I am assuming youre confused as to why I think it would be powerful. I don't really. I just thought it would be really cool. It's really a shame monk is one of the few melees who can't make full use of this. Also. THREAD DERAILING ALERT.
    Lol.
    Last edited by marcielle; 2011-08-08 at 03:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Gives you 2 prereqs for shocktrooper just in time for you to take your next feat
    At level 2?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

MonkGuy

This thread is gettin derailed fast so I'm just gonna concede for whatever comes after this lol

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

This thread is gettin derailed fast so I'm just gonna concede for whatever comes after this lol
    I meant, you get the prerequisites for the feat (aside from BAB) at level 2. You don't gain another feat at level 2.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

MonkGuy

I know, but like I said, I'm just gonna concede at this point.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137260
    Latest form(that I know of) of the 'get every level 9 maneuver build'.
    Thought it would be worth digging up since it uses mainly swordsage as the base.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm adding a section on multiclassing now.

17. - Top - End - #77

Lizardfolk

Do you need anything written for it?

I've written up some incomplete notes that I just never got around to finishing. I also wrote up a multiclassing section for the Crusader Handbook, some of which might be portable/helpful here.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Prestige class:

Revenant Blade (five levels, Player's Guide to Eberron)
    You need: three feats, 5 BAB, few points in class skills, Valenar elf.
    You gain: full BAB, decent skills, 3-4 floating feats you don't need to qualify for from a short list, class level as competence () bonus to hide/move silently, ability to treat each end of Valenar Double Scimitar as two-handed weapon.
    Cons: aside from slowing IL/maneuver progress, Valenar Double Scimitar isn't a school weapon for any school by RAW.
    Best used by: TWF/critfisher. Double weapon is a good option even before capstone, since you can use it for TWF with boosts and full attacks or as a two-hander for strikes.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-08-09 at 01:06 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Prestige class:

Revenant Blade (five levels, Player's Guide to Eberron)
    You need: three feats, 5 BAB, few points in class skills, Valenar elf.
    You gain: full BAB, decent skills, 3-4 floating feats you don't need to qualify for from a short list, class level as enhancement () bonus to hide/move silently, ability to treat each end of Valenar Double Scimitar as two-handed weapon.
    Cons: aside from slowing IL/maneuver progress, Valenar Double Scimitar isn't a school weapon for any school by RAW.
    Best used by: TWF/critfisher. Double weapon is a good option even before capstone, since you can use it for TWF with boosts and full attacks or as a two-hander for strikes.
    I'm certain I've written stuff up on prestige classes on this, but this will be added, although why is an enhancement bonus bad? Is that because it doesn't stack with invisibility and items?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah ... for skills, Competence is the "bad" bonus. Enhancement bonuses to skills are very rare, and therefore awesome.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Yeah ... for skills, Competence is the "bad" bonus. Enhancement bonuses to skills are very rare, and therefore awesome.
    Ah, right, it's competence bonus. I was just thinking "the same type as magic items give" and wrote enhancement.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Ah, right, it's competence bonus. I was just thinking "the same type as magic items give" and wrote enhancement.
    Ah. Yeah, in that case it's worthy of a frowny face.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Ah. Yeah, in that case it's worthy of a frowny face.
    I thought competence stacked and enhancement doesn't and it comes on items?
    That's why a belt of Giant's strength and Bull's strength don't stack.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I thought competence stacked and enhancement doesn't and it comes on items?
    That's why a belt of Giant's strength and Bull's strength don't stack.
    You're thinking of circumstance bonuses. Those stack as long as the bonus doesn't derive from the same circumstance.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

How soon will Stances be up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

So can you combine Raging Mongoose with Diamond Nightmare Blade and get 6 attacks with it at x4 damage for each attack that hits, for a TWF?

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Umaril View Post
    So can you combine Raging Mongoose with Diamond Nightmare Blade and get 6 attacks with it at x4 damage for each attack that hits, for a TWF?
    No. The rumor that Dancing and Raging Mongoose can be used without a full attack (which I helped prolong ) is negated by the following line from the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.
    But even if that weren't the case, combining Raging Mongoose with a standard action strike wouldn't let you use the strike multiple times. It would just let you use the strike once, then make additional attacks that don't benefit from the strike's special text. (This is how Snap Kick works. Unlike the Mongoose boosts, it's an explicit exception to the rule I quoted above.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Darn. Oh well. It can still be combined with another boost once you get dual boost, like inferno blade right?

29. - Top - End - #89

Yup, that's the point of Dual Boost.

You can even use both those boosts, then spend your full-round action on Time Stands Still.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umaril View Post
    Darn. Oh well. It can still be combined with another boost once you get dual boost, like inferno blade right?
    Or Divine Impetus but yes, they work together just fine.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!