New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] To dance for the fairies...

Guible

Small Magical Beast (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 6d10+6 (39 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), climb 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 20 (+5 dex, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+6
    Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d4+1) or bite +11 melee (1d3+1)
    Full Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d4+1) and bite +6 melee (1d3+1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Charm, embrace, improved grab, insidiuous movement, psi-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Darkvison 60 ft., low-light vision, resist nature's lure, scent, shifting shades, telepathy
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 21, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18
    Skills: Bluff +13, Climb +12, Hide +14, Intimidate +12, Listen +10, Perform (dance) +13, Spot +10, Swim +8
    Feats: Combat Panache, Force of Personality, Iron Will, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Plane of Faerie or any forest
    Organization: Solitary, Mates, Family (3-6), Spunk (10-20)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: Standard (gems only)
    Alignment: Often Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 6-8 HD (Small), 9-16 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: +5 (cohort)

A creature zips in with incredible speed, all long and sinuous fur that shifts shades with the surrounding light level. A guible appears, at first, much as an extremely lengthy snake covered in liquid fur. However, the head is unlike any snake, being a cross between a mouse and a fox, with enormous, soft eyes that likewise shifts between dark and light. Their snout is long and filled with tiny tearing teeth. Sprouting from the forehead are mobile, two foot-long whiskers that dip forward, ending in what seems as a large drop of beaded dew that never quite falls from the tip. The tail ends in a bushy, flowing tuft that hides the strong, bony edge that grows along the ridge. Prehensile knobs ring the very end of the tail, and are used to grasp and manipulate.

Guibles are creatures both incredibly dangerous yet fascinating. Those within the Material Plane are said to have escaped originally from the Plane of Faerie where they were bred to be the entertainers and playthings of the Unseelie Court. Despite their wish to flee their masters, they possess much of the same deadly humor of the fey, though rarely wish to do actual damage to those they amuse themselves with unless greatly angered or insulted.

Guibles often live within the more beautious areas of the forest where water, rock, and plant meld together. They are particularly attracted to gems and crystals. In particular they enjoy hanging polished amber from the boughs of flowering trees. Others prefer chipping away the stone from around crystals within caverns hidden behind waterfalls.

Guibles weigh some 50 lbs. and measure around 10 feet in length, though often remain partially curled up to decrease the apparent size. They speak fey, though often speak with others mind to mind.

Combat
    A guible does not welcome battle, instead attempting to charm and fascinate, causing its victims to perform to its amusement. If infuriated or forced into battle however they attempt to trick their victim as much as possible, always startling them with their unpredictable attacks with tail, bite and mind.

Charm (Su): A guible can attempt a melee touch attack against a single being within reach with the whiskers atop its head. The being must succeed on a DC 17 will save or become Charmed as the Charm Monster spell. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Fey Mind: A guible gains skill points as if they were a fey.

Embrace (Su): A guible deals 1d6+1 points of damage with a successful grapple check. The victim must succeed on a DC 17 will save as the guible numbs its victim's mind to the pain and instead fills them with a sense of joy. If the victim is numbed it does not realize it has been harmed. A guible may use its slam attack against any creature within five feet even while grappling without taking a penalty to its attack.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a guible must hit an opponent of any size with a slam attack. If it wishes it can instead attempt a melee touch attack, dealing no damage. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can embrace. A guible uses their Dexterity modifier in place of strength to make grapple checks.

Insidious Movement (Su): A guible's movements are incredibly eye-catching and mesmerizing. As a move action a guible may dance, requiring any creature within 5 feet to make a Will save (DC equal to the guible's Perform check) or become Fascinated. Unless the guible does actual damage, no action it performs is considered to be hostile for the purpose of breaking the trance. A guible can select a single creature within ten feet to meet eyes with. The guible gains a +2 bonus to its check against this individual.

Resist Nature’s Lure (Ex): A guible gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey.

Shifting Shades (Ex): A guibles coat and eyes alters their shade and lightness in a split instance, granting a +6 racial bonus to hide checks.

Psi-like Abilities: Continuous - Danger Sense; At Will - Detect Hostile Intent; 3/day - Modify Memory (DC 18), Read Thoughts (DC 16). Save DC's are Charisma-based.

Telepathy (Su): A guible can communicate telepathically with any creature within 30 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the guible if it wishes - no common language is needed.

Skills: A guible gains a +6 racial bonus to climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-02-19 at 04:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [Creature] To dance for the fairies...

Strategic suggestions:

Have one of these guys dancing in some forest clearing, moonlit area; some nice place for it to be found. It'll twirl and wind about, maybe crooning, and acts completely unhostile. Once they are hypnotized the second comes and nuzzles their legs, making sure to tap them with their antennae. Again, acting completely unhostile, but cute and playful.

Once the whole group is Charmed it may wrap about one of the players, tickling them with its fur, and they'll think nothing of it. Once the player collapses from damage they could manifest Modify Memory to make the other players think the guy simply lay down to rest.

Or maybe they'll make one think that another of the players struck him for no reason whatsoever. Something along those lines.

Half the group should be down before they know what is happening, and even those that are left are still Charmed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

How cute. And evil.

...Why is a group of ten guibles called an "Orgy"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    How cute. And evil.

...Why is a group of ten guibles called an "Orgy"?
    Was using the original meaning, basically a party.

However, maybe I should change it...

How about a 'Spunk of Guibles'?
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-02-19 at 04:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Spunk sounds better..
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rama_Lei View Post
    Spunk sounds better..
    Aye, and doesn't bring to mind other variations of meaning

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Err...maybe not for you. Some of us are lying in the gutter, you know.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Err...maybe not for you. Some of us are lying in the gutter, you know.
    *helps Demented to his feet and gives him a few bucks to go buy himself a hot meal*
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-02-20 at 10:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

*Spends a few bucks on booze, begins drunken commentary*

I really like these, but some of their abilities seem only tangential to what you're trying to do with them. Fey Mind and Resist Nature's Lure make sense for the concept, but seem a bit unnecessary - if you wanted to streamline it a bit more, I could certainly see those being removed without doing any harm. I could also see giving them a synergy ability, improving their powers based on how many there are.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    *Spends a few bucks on booze, begins drunken commentary*

I really like these, but some of their abilities seem only tangential to what you're trying to do with them. Fey Mind and Resist Nature's Lure make sense for the concept, but seem a bit unnecessary - if you wanted to streamline it a bit more, I could certainly see those being removed without doing any harm. I could also see giving them a synergy ability, improving their powers based on how many there are.
    Resist Nature's Lure possibly, but they were hurting for some skill points.

And do you mean that once you have alot of these fellows together they get bonuses and the like?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

This is so cool

I don't know about synergizing with each other. The more of them there are, the more saves the party is going to have to make anyway, so I don't think it would be necessary.

Also, you say that,
    Despite their wish to flee their masters, they possess much of the same deadly humor of the fey, though rarely wish to do actual damage to those they amuse themselves with unless greatly angered or insulted.
    So, to clarify, your "Strategic Suggestion" is probably only for adventurers who, say, blew up the tree that these things were living in, or something. Otherwise, you suggest that they normally don't harm other creatures. Just toy with them like normal fey and probably make them do stupid stuff.

Also, barring actually changing their type to Fey, I'd suggest keeping the Fey Mind ability; for the skill points as well as for the flavor.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Stuffs:

Races and Monsters:
    Kobork | Diverion | Tori | Zodiacal Hydra | Grecklerot | [Unnamed] | Faddle | Träumen

Feats:

Expand Wild Shape | Psionic Void | Quick Grab

Spells:

Ethereal Anchor | Twist Fate | Ghost Instrument

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calver View Post
    So, to clarify, your "Strategic Suggestion" is probably only for adventurers who, say, blew up the tree that these things were living in, or something. Otherwise, you suggest that they normally don't harm other creatures. Just toy with them like normal fey and probably make them do stupid stuff.
    It would all depend. They probably couldn't care less if you blew up a tree... unless perhaps one of their kind was harmed in the process.

But keep in mind that the players could always meet an evil fellow who likes to go a bit beyond pranks in some manner...