New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Batman

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

biggrin The Batman

WOW. This was like Naga-Brave and the bold.

This was the most positively loveless show I have seen.

Its all so...commercial, and EXTREME! And bluegh.

There is no passion, no love in this show. The animation has a very ugly quality to it (How proportions kind of shift....Its very off-putting) and wow is this commercial (Yes I know all Batman is commercial but this was more-so).

I can just see a bunch of corporate board members sitting around a table going:

"Alright. Freeze. How can we make his toy sell better? I know! Remove all traces of that stupid "Characterization" (Makes the toys sell worse) remove that OLD design and replace it with an EXTREME "Freeze attack using bad guy of the month" type design! And lets see what we can do with Harley Quin!"

All villains feel like their made to make their toys sell better. And thats OK in terms of character design but they retain not even the spirit of any kind of Batman incarnation. They have no soul. You can just replace their names with:

"Plant Bad guy, Freezing bad guy, Hulk Bad guy, Bird Bad Guy, Fire Bad guy" and feel no difference.

And Im sorry if you liked this show. Maybe you can point me towards some better episodes?

And there is a smiley on top to spite Dr.Epic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Batman

Hey, I loved this show when I was younger! Not as much as Batman: TAS or Beyond but I still watched nine kinds of crap out of it! How dare you have a different opinion from me !
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-09 at 12:00 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Because IM CORRECT! MY OPINIONS ARE THE BEST! ANYBODY WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS AN IDIOT!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

On a note actually related to the show, I think it became really good in the third season. Once Doctor Hugo Strange showed up, it got awesome. And I liked the Joker's design. And I'm pretty sure from what I remember Robin was pretty awesome too
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-09 at 12:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe. I didn't watch season to season. I just jumped around to the episodes starring my favorite characters.

And the Harley episode.....Yeaaah.....Mad Love it aint. I don't care how much times you mention the word "Circus" or "Nut job" this was so random.

And I didn't think the show was bad. Merely soul-less.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    And I liked the Joker's design.
    You're a bad person and people say bad things about you.

Anyway, I can respect it for wanting to try some new designs and concepts with the Batman mythos and trying a different visual style from the amazing BTAS, but the end result? Maybe it got better, but I didn't make it through the first season. Hey it won 6 Daytime Emmys so someone must have liked something about it.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2012-10-09 at 04:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

While nowhere near as iconic as later and earlier designs, as a character, The Batman's Joker worked well as the Joker.
    What I didn't like were the tiny 'ears' on the Batsuit.
    They are really part of his iconic silhouette. Taking them away didn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    While nowhere near as iconic as later and earlier designs, as a character, The Batman's Joker worked well as the Joker.
    What I didn't like were the tiny 'ears' on the Batsuit.
    They are really part of his iconic silhouette. Taking them away didn't work for me.
    Curiosly enough I don't really like the massive pointy ears in some designs like in Arkham city/asylum the best design in my opinion being from B:TAS and Young Justice.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, it got ...better... towards the end. Not as good as any Batman cartoon in about 20 years before it, but still it managed to be vaguely entertaining towards the end.

The only thing I can really say I liked was Robin with a jetpack. I mean I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Robin with a jetpack and it's usually one of the best things about him just because of how FUN it is(and that, unfortunately, most of those things tend to be badly written).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

And to be honest as a kid:

It did its job. I was sort of in the age period when BTA was long off air, and I thought the exact thoughts the Board members wanted me to think:

OH WOW! This mister Freeze looks so much cooler then in that crappy old cartoon! Im going to buy his action figures!

I feel ashamed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    And to be honest as a kid:

It did its job. I was sort of in the age period when BTA was long off air, and I thought the exact thoughts the Board members wanted me to think:

OH WOW! This mister Freeze looks so much cooler then in that crappy old cartoon! Im going to buy his action figures!

I feel ashamed.
    Which is weird, because I was still playing with my movie era and BTAS era toys. I mean why would I buy THEIR joker, when MY BTAS joker wasn't broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

They where made before I was born!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

WOW. This was like Naga-Brave and the bold.

This was the most positively loveless show I have seen.

Its all so...commercial, and EXTREME! And bluegh.

There is no passion, no love in this show. The animation has a very ugly quality to it (How proportions kind of shift....Its very off-putting) and wow is this commercial (Yes I know all Batman is commercial but this was more-so).

I can just see a bunch of corporate board members sitting around a table going:

"Alright. Freeze. How can we make his toy sell better? I know! Remove all traces of that stupid "Characterization" (Makes the toys sell worse) remove that OLD design and replace it with an EXTREME "Freeze attack using bad guy of the month" type design! And lets see what we can do with Harley Quin!"

All villains feel like their made to make their toys sell better. And thats OK in terms of character design but they retain not even the spirit of any kind of Batman incarnation. They have no soul. You can just replace their names with:

"Plant Bad guy, Freezing bad guy, Hulk Bad guy, Bird Bad Guy, Fire Bad guy" and feel no difference.

And Im sorry if you liked this show. Maybe you can point me towards some better episodes?

And there is a smiley on top to spite Dr.Epic.
    Okay, one question: who the heck is this Dr. Epic guy you mentioned in your last line? He one of the super villains on the show?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Curiosly enough I don't really like the massive pointy ears in some designs like in Arkham city/asylum the best design in my opinion being from B:TAS and Young Justice.
    Perhaps, but the little nubs were a step too far in the opposite direction in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I'm gonna borrow this.

PS: Anyone else remember the horrible penguin episode?

They where made before I was born!
    And now I feel old.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2012-10-09 at 11:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Perhaps, but the little nubs were a step too far in the opposite direction in my opinion.
    I agree, there should be some sort of balance for the length of Batman's ears.

^Probably not the weirdest thing I've written on this forum >_>
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PS: Anyone else remember the horrible penguin episode?
    .. Wich one ? You may have to narrow it down.

(... By wich I mean you may have to narrow it down to a series first.
    Has there even been ANY good episode involving the Penguin ? (even in 'almost got him', wich is an excellent episode from TAS, his role got to be the lamest.
    Only time he had a half decent design was in second part of TAS, were he was just a fence and mobster, and then he appeard maybe ONCE)

I'm not blamming The batman for what they tried to do with the character (yes even the stupid martial arts and the kabuki twins (wihose design i actualy kinda liked by the way, they were nicely menacing and creepy). It failed but it's not really an easy character to work with.

And speaking of villain hard to work with, a lot of The batman redesign were kinda meh, but I will give the series credit for managing a decent job on the riddler.

Remove all traces of that stupid "Characterization"
    .. well it was kind of stupid, really.
    I mean what kind of logic is "my wife is dead, wahhhh, now I'm going to freeze you all" ? The crimes he commit don't seem to fit the supposed motive, I never really bought it.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-10-10 at 08:41 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean what kind of logic is "my wife is dead, wahhhh, now I'm going to freeze you all"
    I was about to save my wife but then you stopped me from doing so! Then turned me into a monster never capable of feeling warmth or even emotion!

I will murder you for doing this to me! And I will do anything to save her (Once he finds out she's alive but sick)!

It was also the execution. The way he talked, the framing, was also very excellent.

Also: The Penguin had a good episode. Where he tried to end his villainous ways, but hated being treated like a sideshow attraction.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-10-10 at 09:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The action itself was decent. I wouldn't put this show in the same lines as TAS or JLU or Brave and the Bold, but it was fun enough to watch as long as you weren't trying to hold it up to the pedestals of the other versions.

There's still quite a few facepalm moments though. Way too many episodes involving Penguin. Mr. Freeze is closer to the Joel Schumacher version than anything else. And Poison Ivy is a teenage girl? Really? That doesn't come off as creepy?

But I will say that the show's version of Clayface was done very well, as were a few Hugo Strange episodes that I can remember.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Clayface was awesome in this show.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I thought The Batman vs. Dracula was awesome.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Also: The Penguin had a good episode. Where he tried to end his villainous ways, but hated being treated like a sideshow attraction.
    Other fairly good Penguin Eps:

The one were he steals the super military helicopter and unknowingly blinds Batman, who at the time is going around as Bruce Wayne.

The one were Two-Face Kidnaps himself from the hospital while there putting him in for surgery to keep the Harvey Dent side form suppressing him, Penguin is one of the guys **** Grayson's Robin and Batman suspect initially.

And the one where he's bidding on the Video Hugo Strange is Auctioning off reveling Bruce Wayne is Batman.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I liked it better in the early seasons; the retool to bring things closer to the "standard" Batman depiction felt kind of sudden and forced. In particular:
    • The subplot of Batman slowly coming to trust Batgirl as a partner is leapfrogged by introducing Robin and having Batman trust him instantly.
    • Did you really need to replace Clayface with a different guy? This show's version of Clayface was one of its best characters.
    • I liked Detective Yin. Granted, I liked Batgirl too, and you'd have to introduce Commisioner Gordon along with her (at which point he would overshadow Yin).
    • Gordon sets up the Batsignal even though he already has a more reliable way to communicate with Batman.

I liked that future episode with all those homages to the comics, movies and The Dark Knight Returns.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I thought the first season was wobbly, the second was pretty solid, the third was wobbly again, and I gave up in the fourth. It was at its best when treading new ground, and at its worst when holding to old stereotypes.

The animation style also took some getting used to. Was never really a big fan.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I liked it better in the early seasons; the retool to bring things closer to the "standard" Batman depiction felt kind of sudden and forced. In particular:
    • The subplot of Batman slowly coming to trust Batgirl as a partner is leapfrogged by introducing Robin and having Batman trust him instantly.
    • Did you really need to replace Clayface with a different guy? This show's version of Clayface was one of its best characters.
    • I liked Detective Yin. Granted, I liked Batgirl too, and you'd have to introduce Commisioner Gordon along with her (at which point he would overshadow Yin).
    • Gordon sets up the Batsignal even though he already has a more reliable way to communicate with Batman.

I liked that future episode with all those homages to the comics, movies and The Dark Knight Returns.
    I liked the later seasons just cause it was nice to see it a bit more modernized, and I liked seeing Nightwing and Tim Drake as Robin. I love Tim Drake, and I think **** is at his best as Nightwing.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

...Batman has a "Fire bad guy"?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    ...Batman has a "Fire bad guy"?
    Yes. FireFly.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes. FireFly.
    You mean the guy in the battlesuit that later in the series gained actual powers but was overloading so that they had to use liquid nitrogen to defeat him?

I could be wrong about that last bit but i think that was the gist of it...

Oh and they're using that same character as a villain in the new Arrow series I think sometime next year...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Any incarnation of The Joker not being voiced by Luke Skywalker is an inferior one. I don't care if KMR was nominated for an OSCAPOPAP.

By the way, does nobody remember the toys which would react to the 'Bat-Wave' appearing on-screen? Just me?
    How did you have that image on standby......

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Also THIS show was the reason the Joker didn't apear in any more JLAS.

So not only is it BAD, but its also limiting other AMAZING shows potentials.