New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons of Dredmor

Hah. Was on floor one. "Ooh, a Mysterious Portal, this looks interesting."

Step inside, end up in a weird place. Look around a little.

>Megadeath

Back away quickly. Look for a way out. Fail to find one. Kick one monster to death successfully, then get two-shotted by a Preserved Witch.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Hah. Was on floor one. "Ooh, a Mysterious Portal, this looks interesting."
    Oh, yeah, those are a huge risk to go in at low levels. You need a really safe/OP build and a few levels to get through them early.. on the plus side, they're considered 'Level 0', so the monsters don't have the depth-based extra HP they would have if you met them on their native floors. On the downside, you still run into Floor 8 or deeper monsters :( On the *way* up side, tho, Mysterious Portals almost always have a 10+star value item or two in there. If you actually make it through to the other side, picking up that loot can get you pretty well set for the next five dungeon levels.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Good to know! This time I'm tempted to try goofing off with an omni-crafter. It sounds utterly unviable, but we'll see. Took Golemancy and Artful Dodger for my "maybe these will let me survive a while" skills.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-11-03 at 01:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Good to know! This time I'm tempted to try goofing off with an omni-crafter. It sounds utterly unviable, but we'll see. Took Golemancy and Artful Dodger for my "maybe these will let me survive a while" skills.
    It works, actually, it just needs a stupidly painful number of levels to get all the skill levels. And you're kind of at the mercy of the bookcases to give you some useful recipes.. I'd probably do something like Alchemy/Tinker/Smith (Wandcraft not worth it, unless you want to be a Mage and use its ridiculously good Encrusts)/Perception/Clockwork Knight/Rogue Alchemist/Weaponskillofchoice (one of the defensive ones; Maces or perhaps Unarmed for the on-demand shove. Alternately, Psionics, because Psionics.) Once you get one of the craft trees completed (would recommend Smithing for first max), you can actually get in a pretty good place; there are pretty powerful craft recipes now, and Encrusting makes a reasonable substitute for good artifact rolls.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Multicrafting is actually really viable, with every possible crafting skill, Clockwork Knight, Rogue Scientist, Perception. Perception made up like every one of my first five levels (EYE BEAAAAMS) and I'm pretty much untouchable due to armor. I haven't even poked half the others. Alchemy's good for getting salt for Coral Wands though.

Incidentally, I was wondering about a potential "totally invincible" build. I was thinking like Mirror Shield, that one buff from Magical Lawyerything, and then maxing block from armor and stuff to get 100 Magic Reflect and Block (Or dodge or counter...), and become basically untouchable.
    Last edited by Todasmile; 2012-11-03 at 02:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Theme: "Barbarian Hero"
    NTTG: Yes
    10/15 levels: 15
    Difficulty: Dwarven Moderation
    Voting for: "Ew, ew, keep it away" and "They called me mad!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, I'm changing my vote to Dwarven Difficulty after busting out Dredmor again... if we want some good stories, we'll really need to get past Floor 1 reliably. (maybe I should just play better, but running into traps will be the death of me). Either that, or on Rogue difficulty, a death doesn't count unless you're at least level 3.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Todasmile View Post
    Incidentally, I was wondering about a potential "totally invincible" build. I was thinking like Mirror Shield, that one buff from Magical Lawyerything, and then maxing block from armor and stuff to get 100 Magic Reflect and Block (Or dodge or counter...), and become basically untouchable.
    100% Block won't make you invincible. It's close, but you still take some damages from blocked hits.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Hey guys! Decided to make a post here because I managed to beat Lord Dredmor for the first time yesterday. Better yet, my final hit was done with the Killing Blow skill, because wha's the point of winning, if don't do it in style?

I'm currently screwing around with the idea of making a new skill using my zero modding experience. Metalmancy! Should be fun, as long as I don't destroy the game while building it...
    Awesome avatar was by kpenguin. Until Photobucket decided to kill it. Whoops. New avatar isn't by kippy.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I may be playing this game wrong, I just stack passive boosts until I become something resembling invulnerable.

Speaking of passives and invulnerability:
    Vegan > Vampire

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Hey guys! Decided to make a post here because I managed to beat Lord Dredmor for the first time yesterday. Better yet, my final hit was done with the Killing Blow skill, because wha's the point of winning, if don't do it in style?

I'm currently screwing around with the idea of making a new skill using my zero modding experience. Metalmancy! Should be fun, as long as I don't destroy the game while building it...
    monkeyboyinc! You are alive! And posting using that avatar!

Obviously, we must duel each other.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm, thinking of trying out a ranged character(leaning more towards crossbows), and I'm just wondering; do the "X% chance to proc on hit" effect crossbows?

Take the Assassination skill for example: Do any of it's skills, Blackjack/Venomous Infusion/Sneaky Shiv/Et tu?, effect crossbows? If not, which ones do and which don't, and why?

It would seem strange if ranged attacks didn't proc on hits, because crossbows don't get bonus damage from Melee Power(whereas throwing does).

Edit: Also noticed this on the Berseker Rage page:

Buffs you with Melee Power +5 Critical Chance +100, which goes away after your next melee or thrown weapon attack. The Critical Chance bonus also applies to all crossbow attacks while the effect is active, making every shot a critical hit.
    This cannot be right; a free +100 constant crit chance with crossbows, assuming you don't throw/melee?
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2012-11-03 at 06:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    Hmm, thinking of trying out a ranged character(leaning more towards crossbows), and I'm just wondering; do the "X% chance to proc on hit" effect crossbows?

Take the Assassination skill for example: Do any of it's skills, Blackjack/Venomous Infusion/Sneaky Shiv/Et tu?, effect crossbows? If not, which ones do and which don't, and why?

It would seem strange if ranged attacks didn't proc on hits, because crossbows don't get bonus damage from Melee Power(whereas throwing does).

Edit: Also noticed this on the Berseker Rage page:

This cannot be right; a free +100 constant crit chance with crossbows, assuming you don't throw/melee?
    Well, I assume it's a glitch. Like how Unarmed combat gives bonuses to crossbow damage.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I assume it's a glitch. Like how Unarmed combat gives bonuses to crossbow damage.
    That entire Wiki is extremely outdated, I'm afraid. It was a glitch, and it has since been fixed. Shame, really. I planned on exploiting that to no end against Lord Dredmor.

After a bit of testing, I can confirm that none of the Assassination skill special attack things work on Crossbows or thrown weapons. The passive bonuses, such as the extra critical change, still apply, of course, but overall, Crossbows and Assassination doesn't mix very well.

Curiously, the Venomous Infusion skill still applies the extra damage, but doesn't give the debuff to the target. The number of attacks where the buff still applies, however, does still decrease.

Also, the wiki page is outdated, yet again. The Venomous Infusion skill now lasts 6 attacks, and has a cooldown of 36 turns.
    Last edited by MBI; 2012-11-03 at 07:53 PM.
    Awesome avatar was by kpenguin. Until Photobucket decided to kill it. Whoops. New avatar isn't by kippy.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post

That entire Wiki is extremely outdated, I'm afraid. It was a glitch, and it has since been fixed. Shame, really. I planned on exploiting that to no end against Lord Dredmor.
    Ah, to be honest, I'm kinda glad; saves me from the temptation of choosing something out of character for an obviously-not-intended advantage. I think I heard that the "Unarmed skill increases ranged weapon damage" bug was fixed a while ago, too. And gods help you if you try and use that wiki for crafting recipes.

If that wiki and the other one(the wikia one) are both out of date, is there any other source of information on DoD that's more up to date?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, to be honest, I'm kinda glad; saves me from the temptation of choosing something out of character for an obviously-not-intended advantage. I think I heard that the "Unarmed skill increases ranged weapon damage" bug was fixed a while ago, too. And gods help you if you try and use that wiki for crafting recipes.

If that wiki and the other one(the wikia one) are both out of date, is there any other source of information on DoD that's more up to date?
    Oh dear. I appear to be being quoted faster than I can edit my posts.

I'm afraid I know no place which has more up to date and complete info on the game. Hell, even the modding Wiki doesn't acknowledge the existence of the Wizardlands DLC. Sorry.
    Last edited by MBI; 2012-11-03 at 07:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Hahaha, eye lasers are so fun. Zapping things forever.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Hahaha, eye lasers are so fun. Zapping things forever.
    Agreed. Eye lasers were part of my winning build against Dredmor.

Also, easy mode is ridiculously easy. I'm actually at floor 6 right now with the character I used to test Assassination + Throwing Weapons.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

So, what's the best mace? So far it looks like the Mace of Windu, but there might be some clockwork monstrosity I haven't seen yet. The Flail of Pleiades is less epic than it sounded, although I can almost make it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

So, what's the best mace? So far it looks like the Mace of Windu, but there might be some clockwork monstrosity I haven't seen yet. The Flail of Pleiades is less epic than it sounded, although I can almost make it.
    Flail of Pleiades was the strongest in vanilla, bar Mace of the Misunderstood Warlord. Mace of Windu is one of the best (ever since RotDG, I think, though it might be since You Have To Name The Expansion Pack), but it's been outclassed by a few since.

Sharur, 40 crushing damage, 100% chance on hit of Crushed Bones. Dwarven Atom-Smasher, 40 crushing/5 transmutative and a big cloud of radiation on hit. Asgaardian Stormhammer, crafted, 16 crushing/8 piercing/8 voltaic, 3 hyperborean and 3 voltaic resist. The Kronghammer, meanwhile, has 24 crushing/5 blasting/5 righteous/5 conflagratory, and an exploding bolt of fire on hit.

Yeah, there's better.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Flail of Pleiades was the strongest in vanilla, bar Mace of the Misunderstood Warlord. Mace of Windu is one of the best (ever since RotDG, I think, though it might be since You Have To Name The Expansion Pack), but it's been outclassed by a few since.

Sharur, 40 crushing damage, 100% chance on hit of Crushed Bones. Dwarven Atom-Smasher, 40 crushing/5 transmutative and a big cloud of radiation on hit. Asgaardian Stormhammer, crafted, 16 crushing/8 piercing/8 voltaic, 3 hyperborean and 3 voltaic resist. The Kronghammer, meanwhile, has 24 crushing/5 blasting/5 righteous/5 conflagratory, and an exploding bolt of fire on hit.

Yeah, there's better.
    Hahaha, impressive. Are those craftable?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Hahaha, impressive. Are those craftable?
    Asgaardian Stormhammer can be smithed. Dwarven Atom-Smasher, likewise, but it'll take one (two? I forget) Bolts of Mass Destruction, vodka and, hardest of all, a hammer. That last one is easy if you start with communism. Otherwise, well, good luck finding one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm kind of disappointed with the damage capabilities of Promethean Magic. Sure, a few Fireballs do wonders at clearing out a section of zoo, but at ~16 MP (out of my 80ish at the moment) they're too expensive as a daily driver, and Dragon Breath deals less damage than just whacking things with my sword. At this point, it feels like letting the Wyrmling take care of everything is far and away the best strategy...

I had maxed out Promethean on my dead build, now I've only got it at Fireball. Tactical Pyre was all right when I had it, and Infernal Torus just made me almost kill myself trying to escape its area every time I used it. My other skills are Archaeology 2, Magical Law 1, Ley Walker 5 (why is the capstone so MP-costly?), Artful Dodger 1, Blood Magic 1, Magic Training 2. I've just cleared the Monster Zoo on floor 3, as well as five Wizardlands for floors 1 and 2. Not too sure where to go from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed with the damage capabilities of Promethean Magic. Sure, a few Fireballs do wonders at clearing out a section of zoo, but at ~16 MP (out of my 80ish at the moment) they're too expensive as a daily driver, and Dragon Breath deals less damage than just whacking things with my sword. At this point, it feels like letting the Wyrmling take care of everything is far and away the best strategy...

I had maxed out Promethean on my dead build, now I've only got it at Fireball. Tactical Pyre was all right when I had it, and Infernal Torus just made me almost kill myself trying to escape its area every time I used it. My other skills are Archaeology 2, Magical Law 1, Ley Walker 5 (why is the capstone so MP-costly?), Artful Dodger 1, Blood Magic 1, Magic Training 2. I've just cleared the Monster Zoo on floor 3, as well as five Wizardlands for floors 1 and 2. Not too sure where to go from here.
    Funny thing about Ley Walker 5; last time I played using it(before the last two DLCs, so quite a while ago), it actually took no mana, so the only limit was the cooldown of 3 or 4. Nigh-infinite escape mechanism? Yes please!

Also funny, this was on my "Kill EVERYTHING with FIRE!" build; Unless they've nerfed/changed things, between Blood Mage, Magic Training and Ley Walker, mana was essentially infinite. When I got some mana-regen equipment I could essentially spam Obvious Fireball to my hearts content without running out of mana.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... Gonna need some practice before I can make the skillset I have in mind...
    Someone give me some ideas for some abilities I can make to practice!

26. - Top - End - #86

Well, I would either get Magic Training or Magical Law from here. MT for just flat-out buffing your fire spells and reducing their cost, ML for a grabbag of useful powers. You might particularly appreciate the option of transforming fire resistant enemies, to compensate for the main weakness of your build (only 1 real damage type). Artful Dodger can also be an option - especially if you feel that 100% dodge could be possible with your gear - but with teleportation you should be able to get out most melee situations if things go bad, so physical defences aren't extremely important for you.

27. - Top - End - #87

So I tallied the votes.

NTTG
    Yes - 10
    No - 0

Difficulty
    Dwarven - 7
    Rogue - 3

Levels:
    15 - 10
    10 - 0

Themes:
    "Keep It Away" 4
    "Physics Crying" 4
    "They Called Me Mad" 3
    "I Am Iron Man" 2
    "Darkness" 1
    "Bacon" 1
    "Pets and Other Minions" 1
    "Self Inflicted" 1
    "This is Halloween" 1

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Asgaardian Stormhammer can be smithed. Dwarven Atom-Smasher, likewise, but it'll take one (two? I forget) Bolts of Mass Destruction, vodka and, hardest of all, a hammer. That last one is easy if you start with communism. Otherwise, well, good luck finding one.
    Hammer's craftable, it's a low-level Smithing requiring a stick and an iron ingot. Might be a hidden recipe, but I know I've got it in my craft book. The more annoying part is that the weapons you mentioned are all Smith level 7 requirements, IIRC, which means you either need to pick 2 skills to craft them (Smith+ Clockwork Knights/other mod-skill with craft modifiers) or get really lucky in the deep dungeon and find the Diggle God statue that gives extra crafting skill.. and if you're relying on that, you have better odds of finding the weapon in a Brax shop/Uber-chest/as an artifact reward from something than getting that statue.

Explosive Symbol and Pyre were my mainstays last time I did a Promethean-centered build. Much more efficient damage than Fireball (Infernal Torus isn't bad, but if you plan to use it regularly you need to prioritize Fire resist on your stuff.) Obvious Fireball went through like five nerfs since first launch of the game- it hasn't quite been beaten into unusable, but it's pretty hard to make it your primary spell now.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Whoa! The game sure does like springing Evil Clones way out of their depth. They were what killed me both times I went into a mysterious portal, and now a level in a Wizardland spawned two of them. I high-tailed it out of there after one of them OHKO'd my wyrmling...fortunately, they didn't follow me. What floor do they appear on as routine enemies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Whoa! The game sure does like springing Evil Clones way out of their depth. They were what killed me both times I went into a mysterious portal, and now a level in a Wizardland spawned two of them. I high-tailed it out of there after one of them OHKO'd my wyrmling...fortunately, they didn't follow me. What floor do they appear on as routine enemies?
    I don't actually remember seeing them outside the Wizardlands. Basic strategy against them is to not summon them in the first place. Just remember the shape of the room with the lever and you'll do fine. They're really not worth sighting at low levels, since they only give 180-ish exp each.