New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite science fiction device (that isn't a weapon)?

Might just be my bad joints talking but would love some cybernetic implants or nano-infusion for bad joints.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Cyberdecks.

A Quantum Harmonizer. (Not sure what it does, but man does it do awesome stuff when you stick it in someone's Photonic Resonance Chamber)

An Electronic Thumb

A Voight-kampff machine.

Whatever tech it took to be able to have streetdocs able to perform perfect plastic surgery in one hour or less.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Give me the miracle machine or desirovac. Maybe Pym particles, it's a tough choice.
    Last edited by Dorath; 2017-07-30 at 08:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

*the total perspective vortex

*any device by which something we would consider "supernatural" is harnessed and controlled like any other phenomenon (proton packs and other ghostbusting equipment, the sunlamps and other troll hunting equipment from The Troll Hunter, Hex the arcane computer fron Discworld, the No Chambers from the Dune series, etc) or mass produced as if it were an ordinary thing (the gag factory from Roger Rabbit, the mass manufactured bound-demon powered watches from Discworld, etc)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

biggrin Re: What's your favorite science fiction device (that isn't a weapon)?

Holodeck.

Not only can I now have sex with celebrities or fictional characters, but I can turn any tabletop rule set or Larp rule set into an immersive experience. It could also be used to learn a skill from a vastly knowledgeable tutor that would normally cost large amounts to hire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Holodeck.

Not only can I now have sex with celebrities or fictional characters, but I can turn any tabletop rule set or Larp rule set into an immersive experience. It could also be used to learn a skill from a vastly knowledgeable tutor that would normally cost large amounts to hire.
    You'd also die horrifically when the safeties malfunctioned and the tutor turned murderous.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Holodeck..
    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    You'd also die horrifically when the safeties malfunctioned and the tutor turned murderous.

Judging by how troublesome and dangerous the holodeck seemed to be, episode after episode, Starfleet personal must've been really dependent (addicted?) to it.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Tutor wouldn't turn murderous. The holodeck malfunctions had characters like Moriarty loaded and running at the time. Already evil, murderous people. Tutor, in the event of malfunction, would continue to tute.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *any device by which something we would consider "supernatural" is harnessed and controlled like any other phenomenon (proton packs and other ghostbusting equipment, the sunlamps and other troll hunting equipment from The Troll Hunter, Hex the arcane computer fron Discworld, the No Chambers from the Dune series, etc) or mass produced as if it were an ordinary thing (the gag factory from Roger Rabbit, the mass manufactured bound-demon powered watches from Discworld, etc)
    Laughter Energy from Monsters Inc. would be awesome too. Then again, I fear we would spawn a new cross-breed of environmentalists/SJWs attempting to police over what kind of jokes bring the less pollution
    I would fear more for my safety during Kinky Time, to be honest. You don't want a murderous Black Widow at the worst possible time
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    .Judging by how troublesome and dangerous the holodeck seemed to be, episode after episode, Starfleet personal must've been really dependent (addicted?) to it.
    You mean you wouldn't?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    ...You mean you wouldn't?

A luxury once tasted becomes a necessity.

They are substances and activities that I do not try for fear of my liking them too much.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Tutor wouldn't turn murderous. The holodeck malfunctions had characters like Moriarty loaded and running at the time. Already evil, murderous people. Tutor, in the event of malfunction, would continue to tute.
    That town in Voyager. The Irish one. I can continue with other examples, because there are several.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

12. - Top - End - #42

A luxury once tasted becomes a necessity.

They are substances and activities that I do not try for fear of my liking them too much.
    Malfunctions or not the holodeck's still safer than cocaine
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #43

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Malfunctions or not the holodeck's still safer than cocaine
    I'm a part of a group of responsible holodeck users...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    Ahem.

Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

15. - Top - End - #45

That town in Voyager. The Irish one. I can continue with other examples, because there are several.
    Please do, because Voyager was terrible. Anyway, what were the details of that town? Wasn't there some sort of monster or something, and not just "simple idyllic town becomes murderous for no reason?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Please do, because Voyager was terrible. Anyway, what were the details of that town? Wasn't there some sort of monster or something, and not just "simple idyllic town becomes murderous for no reason?"
    Wasn't that the one where they were ALL sentient holograms and the people disappearing/being "snatched by a monster" were just disappearing because the power was failing?

17. - Top - End - #47

Flumph

Yes.

With all the doors locked.

Forever.

Now, obviously the best science fiction device that is a weapon is the Lazy Gun.

Spoiler
    Show
    There had been eight Lazy Guns. A Lazy Gun was a little over half a meter in length, about thirty centimeters in width and twenty centimeters in height. Its front was made up of two stubby cylinders which protruded from the smooth, matte-silver main body. The cylinders ended in slightly bulged black-glass lenses. A couple of hand controls sitting on stalks, an eyesight curving up on an other extension, and a broad, adjustable metal strap all indicated that the weapons had been designed to be fired from the waist.

There were two controls, one on each hand grip; a zoom wheel and a trigger.

You looked through the sight, zoomed in until the target you had selected just filled your vision, then you pressed the trigger. The Lazy Gun did the rest instantaneously.

But you had no idea whatsoever exactly what was going to happen next.

If you had aimed at a person, a spear might suddenly materialize and pierce them through the chest, or some snake's spit fang might graze their neck, or a ship's anchor might appear falling above them, crushing them, or two enormous switch-electrodes would leap briefly into being on either side of the hapless target and vaporize him or her.

If you had aimed the gun at something larger, like a tank or a house, then it might implode, explode, collapse in a pile of dust, be struck by a section of a tidal wave or a lava flow, be turned inside out or just disappear entirely, with or without a bang.

Increasing scale seemed to rob a Lazy Gun of its eccentric poesy; turn it on a city or a mountain and it tended simply to drop an appropriately sized nuclear or thermonuclear fireball onto it. The only known exception had been when what was believed to have been a comet nucleus had destroyed a city-sized berg-barge on the water world of Trontsephori.

Rumor had it that some of the earlier Lazy Guns, at least, had shown what looked suspiciously like humor when they had been used; criminals saved from firing squads so that they could be the subjects of experiments had died under a hail of bullets, all hitting their hearts at the same time; an obsolete submarine had been straddled by depth charges; a mad king obsessed with metals had been smothered under a deluge of mercury.

The braver physicists--those who didn't try to deny the existence of Lazy Guns altogether--ventured that the weapons somehow accessed different dimensions; they monitored other continua and dipped into one to pluck out their chosen method of destruction and transfer it to this universe, where it carried out its destructive task then promptly disappeared, only its effects remaining. Or they created whatever they desired to create from the ground-state of quantum fluctuation that invested the fabric of space. Or they were time machines.

Any one of these possibilities was so mind-boggling in its implications and ramifications--provided that one could understand or ever harness the technology involved--that the fact a Lazy Gun was light but massy, and weighed exactly three times as much turned upside down as it did the right way up, was almost trivial by comparison.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Ahem.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's made the connection between Wikipedia and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I for one have a hankerin' for some of that delicious....

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Interocitor?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

I for one have a hankerin' for some of that delicious....

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not sci-fi anymore.

(I know of a webcomic artist, thunt, who claims to live almost entirely off Soylent, so as far as I know it's not some sort of elaborate prank.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not sci-fi anymore.

(I know of a webcomic artist, thunt, who claims to live almost entirely off Soylent, so as far as I know it's not some sort of elaborate prank.)
    It's every bit as much still science fiction as the Hoverboard, the Everlasting Gobstopper, and any number of other fantastical items and devices whose names have been co-opted by unrelated mediocre products of unrelated mediocre companies.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-08-06 at 08:46 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

The magical ovens and the like that poof out a nice meal out of just some pill or undefined goo. Like, it turns into an actual meal. ... I know, it's some heavy 60's sci-fi dreaming, but damn it, it's so cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #54

Chimera

It doesn't shoot, it doesn't kill, it doesn't maim. And it's crap against wood. But a sonic screwdriver is definitely something I wish I had.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    It doesn't shoot, it doesn't kill, it doesn't maim. And it's crap against wood. But a sonic screwdriver is definitely something I wish I had.
    I have yet to see it drive a screw.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

The Ark from Tuf Voyaging.

Spaceship with FTL drive and artificial gravity, larger than the city I live in and equipped with all of the necessities and pleasures for a crew of thousands.

AI control assist capable of making it operatable by a single person.

Vast genetic library of every organism known to mankind at time of construction. They even recreated at least one dinosaur species.

Cloning vats to produce those organisms, with a psychic leash to keep them from harming crewmembers. The cloning vats have a time-dilation feature allowing their occupants to be brought to adulthood in seconds, or mass produce and deliver organisms to a planetary surface.

A vast menu of modifications which can be installed in any organism created.

Basically, yeah. I and my loved ones could go exploring all across the galaxy, petting elasmosaurs in our olympic sized swimming pool and seeing what's out there from a position of safety.

The story has it having been built as a weapon, but it's clearly a versatile and useful tool independent of that and I would give any two non-essential organs or limbs to get my hand on a single cloning tank, let alone the whole package.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #57

Chimera

I have yet to see it drive a screw.
    IIRC, he's mentioned putting up cabinets, so it should be a feature.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Fellas, fellas you are all missing the greatest invention in the history of science fiction.

Spoiler: Boom
    Show
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

The T-Gun, from EGS.

Despite having gun in the name, it's not a weapon.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    The T-Gun, from EGS.

Despite having gun in the name, it's not a weapon.
    Yeah, but it also explicitly is magic.

Magic through the lens of scientific study and application, but still magic. Magic which can choose to stop working because it, as a person, does not feel like playing nice with human beings demystifying it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.