New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (Best of the Thousand) [Semi #1]

367, because I'm reading about the Order of the Stick, not some B-list paladin antagonist. 464 was good for what it was, but 367 is about the point in the story where Elan becomes more character than caricature, and I find myself invested in his success.

I also highly suspect that both the wildcards will come from the other half, but that's just a suspicion at this point.
    Last edited by Mordae; 2015-10-19 at 07:20 AM.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (Best of the Thousand) [Semi #1]

Great selection, representing a wide array of the Giant's abilities and why the OOTS is so great.
    Still, it's a shame I can't vote for 449 and its Ghosts-martyrs.

I'm gonna go with 90, even though I'm pretty sure it won't win. But I think it best represents the goofy and very funny early strip that made so much people fall in love with the strip. Also, no such great comic should bow out with not a single vote to its name...
    Last edited by nogall; 2015-10-19 at 09:22 AM.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My little baby is all grown up! I'm so proud!

Thank you, Porthos, for taking so good care of it. Who knew that little idea I had would someday reach the Best of the Thousand! Beautiful.

As for my vote... I would say it's a tough call between 298 and 367. Both have laughs, plot advancement and character development. But 367 wins it because Thog.

I'm happy to take part on the Awards, one last time, before it enters hibernation. Thank you all.
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Voting for 367. It's hilarious, and it and 464 are easily the best of the bunch. I disagree with 464 on religious and philosophical grounds, so 367 it is.

5. - Top - End - #35

Innocent Man.

I love watching Nale panic and squirm.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

No contest. 464.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

#367 please. None of the others strike me as finals material.
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm happy to see both 367 and 464 ahead (didn't count though, impressions could be misleading). I think the final winner will be picked from the lower half of the BoT line-up, and I think I do prefer the philosophical implications of Miko's end, so I'll vote for 464 without too many thoughts at the moment.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think other people have summed up my reactions and reasons fairly well, so I'll just leave it at the fact that it's no contest and 464 is the best of the bunch.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Sad that 301 didn't make it this far....464 for me.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

I find it a mildly amusing coincidence that the Stick Awards and the Ultimate Linear Guild Tournament will be ending at roughly the same time. I didn't plan it that way--I couldn't, since the total number of matches and Phases in the ULGT wasn't fixed (pairings are determined by the outcomes of previous pairings).
    Then again, there always seems to be some voting process going on in the OOTS forum. Before the ULGT, there was the Best OOTS Book tournament, the Favorite Relationships Tournament, Oppyu's giant tournament of characters, the favorite OOTS member tournament, and the favorite goblin from strip one, panel one tournament. So, maybe the fact that two voting events are ending within a couple weeks of each other isn't that strange.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I find it a mildly amusing coincidence that the Stick Awards and the Ultimate Linear Guild Tournament will be ending at roughly the same time. I didn't plan it that way--I couldn't, since the total number of matches and Phases in the ULGT wasn't fixed (pairings are determined by the outcomes of previous pairings).
    And here I thought you had a byzantine and complex masterplan benefiting the Linear Guild itself to cause it to turn out this way.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

464: Not For Everyone
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Then again, there always seems to be some voting process going on in the OOTS forum. Before the ULGT, there was the Best OOTS Book tournament, the Favorite Relationships Tournament, Oppyu's giant tournament of characters, the favorite OOTS member tournament, and the favorite goblin from strip one, panel one tournament. So, maybe the fact that two voting events are ending within a couple weeks of each other isn't that strange.
    Gents, this simply means that we need to have a new thread:

The Ultimate Decide on the Next Voting Contest Tournament!
    Suspiciously normal.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

464 - Not for Everyone

Besides Soon's speech about redemption*, I think the line "Have you been less hasty [...]" is very powerful. Had Miko been less hasty, the plot would have ended so much more time ago that I wouldn't even known OotS existed in the first place. Had she been less hasty in executing Shojo, she wouldn't have fallen. Had she been less hasty in jumping to conclusions, she wouldn't have, well, been Miko.
    Also, the first thing that she asks Soon is whether she did the right thing and Soon is there to thank her. She still feels she is special, and that's part of the reason of her falling: being a Paladin has nothing to do about you, it's about others.

*EDIT: Which with I agree almost completely: substitute society, or better yet, the ones you wronged, for Twelve Gods and I'm good with it.
    Last edited by Pyrous; 2015-10-20 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Conveying your feelings in the 1st try apparently is Not for Everyone either...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I suppose I'll vote for 367, pretty much entirely because Elan is a more central character than Miko and it marks the beginning of his character development.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-10-21 at 12:10 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So it's gotta be either 367 or 464. My first instinct was 464, but after thinking it over, 367 is a much better representative of the comic's first half- voting 464 would really just be stacking the deck in favour of the second half.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Lots of good ones, but I'll go with 367.

Still, I have the feeling the Semi #2 will dominate this final.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Sad that 301 didn't make it this far....464 for me.
    Bah, you're just biased in favor of non-humanoids.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-10-21 at 02:37 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Bah, you're just biased in favor of non-humanoids.
    Friggin' food monsters.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Best of the Thousand has a much bigger draw and an impressive number of votes. For lesser rounds, the 15 votes amassed by 367 would be sufficient to win. Now, it's dwarfed by the 21 votes held by 464. Add in the handful of votes for the dark horse candidates, and there are 40-ish total votes cast.

I would, however, like to revise my previous hypothesis that both the wild cards will come from the bottom half of the draw. It seems highly unlikely that there will be 3 of the 4 with 16+ votes.
    Suspiciously normal.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post

Thank you, Porthos, for taking so good care of it. Who knew that little idea I had would someday reach the Best of the Thousand! Beautiful.
    Nazzo!!!!!
    You're certainly a welcomed guest in this thread!
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-10-21 at 02:42 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I gotta go with 464 for the musing on the nature of redemption, both in and out of DnD context, as well as the emotionally powerful speech that humanizes Soon and marks an emotional send-off for a character who represented a major driving force in the plot-- better than she deserved, I'm sure many people thought. The page, like redemption, is a rare and special thing.

It also sets up for one of the best uses of dramatic irony in all of webcomicdom, when Tsukiko decides Miko wouldn't be a very powerful undead anyway.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The gF View Post
    It also sets up for one of the best uses of dramatic irony in all of webcomicdom, when Tsukiko decides Miko wouldn't be a very powerful undead anyway.
    Mostly because she would be two undeads, probably. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post

As for my vote... I would say it's a tough call between 298 and 367. Both have laughs, plot advancement and character development. But 367 wins it because Thog.

I'm happy to take part on the Awards, one last time, before it enters hibernation. Thank you all.
    So glad to see you here at the end of all things of the Awards.

Couldn't have done any of this without you. I truly thank you for starting all of this and allowing me to continue on in your stead.

---

Enough mushy stuff, on to my vote!

Poor 298. I always new it was going to be a weak link (the voting during the 200s was... interesting), but it's sad to see it get obliterated like this. But not sad enuf for me to vote for it.

Tiny bit surprised that 90 received one lone vote, but I suppose it's the mood of the board right now. Well that and it simply can't compete with some of the others.

In the end, 464 is simply too powerful. I don't entirely agree with the point that Soon made there (and, indeed, I think it might be overbought into by the forum at times), but that really does show how well it was written, I suppose.

And with that.....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

464 - Not for Everyone is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Thousand tournament!

367 - Innocent Man is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 15 votes and 200 - The Confrontation is holding down Wild Card spot #2 with 4 votes.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE THOUSAND TOURNAMENT
    ......... (Semi-Final #1)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we continue the Best of the Thousand tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-10-22 at 03:03 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Poor 298. I always new it was going to be a weak link (the voting during the 200s was... interesting)
    Oh, don't be coy, Porthos. You've got feelings to share. Out with them, then!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wow, the best of #1000 has gotten a massive turn out! Even Nazzo returned just in time.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Oh, don't be coy, Porthos. You've got feelings to share. Out with them, then!
    The Belkar fans really didn't turn out as expected, for one.

This is also right around the time I realized that having just one strip out of every ten move on in voting could be.... problematic for some strips.

This will be addressed if and when we ever get to SA III (which won't be for a good while).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    The Belkar fans really didn't turn out as expected, for one.

This is also right around the time I realized that having just one strip out of every ten move on in voting could be.... problematic for some strips.

This will be addressed if and when we ever get to SA III (which won't be for a good while).
    Noooo.

<chants> Do it again! Do it again! Do it again!!!

I'm voting for S.A. III right after this ends. OK, maybe we can have a blank week in-between.

Besides, I do agree with what Soon says to Miko. I only disagree that redemption is not for everyone: it is, it's just that not everyone can reach it. Indeed, as he says, if you don't recognize your mistakes and wrong-doing, how can you obtain redemption?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Laurana View Post
    Noooo.

<chants> Do it again! Do it again! Do it again!!!

I'm voting for S.A. III right after this ends. OK, maybe we can have a blank week in-between.

Besides, I do agree with what Soon says to Miko. I only disagree that redemption is not for everyone: it is, it's just that not everyone can reach it. Indeed, as he says, if you don't recognize your mistakes and wrong-doing, how can you obtain redemption?
    I don't think Soon is saying that there are some people who the cosmic forces of the universe will not allow to the chance to be redeemed, no matter how hard they tried, at least not per se. My understanding is that he's suggesting that, in practice, not everyone is capable of doing the incredibly hard work of redeeming themselves, and not everyone lives long enough to be granted the opportunity of redemption. Similarly, some might simply have sinned too much and too often to realistically have a shot at redeeming themselves before it is too late. Belkar might be a case in point there - if he were to live to a ripe old age, I'd bet on his redemption, but given the way things are today, I wouldn't.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.