New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

Hmm. There was a solution here, and it was fortunately one Charlotte knew.

Let's see... Staff pass?
    Charlotte scans the stage for the nearest staff member who looks preoccupied. "Stephanie, if I distract someone can you grab their pass as well?"

Quest object obtained. It's time for the trading sidequest!

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

2:00 minutes.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #453
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Hmm. There was a solution here, and it was fortunately one Charlotte knew.

Let's see... Staff pass?
    Charlotte scans the stage for the nearest staff member who looks preoccupied. "Stephanie, if I distract someone can you grab their pass as well?"

Quest object obtained. It's time for the trading sidequest!
    "What? Uh, yeah," said Stephanie. If she was smarter or less drunk she'd have added 'but that's risky and we don't have much time', but she didn't. "Who? Why? This isn't good enough?"

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

There are people on the stage you can try to distract. There are about 10 milling around at the moment. They're mostly young staffers and assistants, primarily male, only a couple women, all between the ages of 18 and 35 more or less.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

"This says 'Press', miss. We trade it for 'Staff', and then trade Staff for notes~" It's a beautiful plan. Laid out, straightforward, and by Jove it is actually within Charlotte's purview! She is on top of the world, or at least she is on top of the stage, controlling the slight nervousness that would turn it into the deck of a ship on a roiling ocean. People were easy, people, because you just stood there and you were one of the people. But a person, they were tough, they paid like, attention and stuff. It was a weird sort of backwards thing, reverse agoraphobia, and who would be afraid of backwards sweaters? That was silly.

Charlotte looked troubled, but thr was okay. Trouble is trouble is trouble, and weren't they looking for it? Well, either way the staff would be, and they would see it on her face and know "here was trouble", and she would ofxorse let them deal with it, it was their job, non? Striding, pacing, stepping, leisurely - a gait that didn't look like she knew what she was doing, no Monsieur, that would be bad, a hesitant gait of a child bowing to authority was what this was. And with it she closed the distance to a bored or angry looking man with the hunched neck of a computer worker and the pinched face of someone whereas perhaps too hard, too close to his clipboard and didn't want any flustering.

There is just the barest tinge of fear, a sort of thrill, as Charlotte looks for his badge, decidedly does not look for Stephanie, and begins to borrow a minute of his time. He's mortal, after all, would he even miss it, if traded?

"Excuse me, sir, um... Can I have a moment?"

6. - Top - End - #456

Stephanie gave Marchy a sidelong look. This felt vaguely unnecessary and she was going to have to improvise something, but the troubled thoughts were distant and hazy. Easier just to let the people who knew what they were doing do what they were doing.

She stood by, looking vaguely nonplussed, waiting for an opening or for things to start making sense.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte ended up selecting one of the random male staffers. He was reading something on his iPhone when Charlotte came over, and he looks vaguely annoyed that he's being interrupted. It must have been an interesting article.

He glances at the phone before clicking it off and looking at Charlotte, at which point his expression suddenly softens noticeably. "Oh, sure miss what did you need?"
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-08-30 at 12:54 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

8. - Top - End - #458
    Banned

"Oh, I'm sorry! It's just... Well, maybe it isn't important..." She holds the press pass clutched between both her hands, head bowed and lip lightly clenched between her teeth.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

A brief look of annoyance passes over his face again, before he wipes it away and puts his smile back on. "Well, miss, if you didn't need anything, now isn't a great time. The speaker is supposed to arrive in just a couple minutes. But, if you'd like, I'll be happy to meet you a bit later and buy you a drink. My name's Rich. What's yours?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #460

If there was a distraction for a lift being made here, Stephanie wasn't seeing it. She was getting nervy about the time, so she grabbed Marchy's wrists and checked them for a watch, feeling a little too drunk and a little too rushed to ask the time like a normal person, or remember that Marchy didn't have a watch.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Stephanie needs to try harder
    Seriously though, that was my Derp. I could have sworn I'd typed up exact posture and suggested dice rolls and they just aren't there. So.

Attempt to get Staff Guy to be more actionable, by holding an object that is obviously the focus of things and not addressing it verbally: get him to ask about it.

Show him press pass with face that looks a lot like his own but is not.

Awkwardly converse about how weird it is tat someone who looks so much like him is here working press.

Short (he's on the same timetable we are, so our stress is his stress), plied by a pretty girl, confused as to why there is a pass with his face and irritated by how unhelpful Charlotte is being, giving an opening where Stephanie should be able to close in, possible grab for his pass, and easily play it off as drunkenly looking for her friend if that fails.

Except not only am I having trouble writing this as an IC post, but he gummed the works by being all direct and smooth-operator-y. So I'm passing Thigs around in my head an trying to shake Chryssie loose, so I can focus. It's slow going. So I'm here, but I'm unable to write effectively. Plan to edit in post if I can figure one out.

"Oh, um..." She says, her face growing dusky, "Charlotte, sir. And..."

With a boldness partially spurred by this delicious sickly-sweet warmth in her belly, Charlotte reaches out and grabs the man's presumably visible staff pass by a corner. "Will you have time? Stage working is time consuming, non?"
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-08-31 at 05:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

[It also occurs to me that you have neither asked for a roll nor done anything explicitly requiring one yet, though you are definitely wasting time.]

The man grabs back his badge when Charlotte tries to take it, then realizes that recoiling from her like that probably didn't look very good, puts that same smile back on (it looks incredibly fake at this point, which is sorta pitiful) and says "Oh, I uh, I'm sure I'll have time later. We can watch the fireworks together, if you'd like." He beams even more widely and more falsely.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #463
    Banned

Screw you, browser!
    "Ah, the fireworks? Non. My companions will be doing business, then." Carlotte manages to blurt out. "But perhaps if you are good, I will find you after~?" The friendly lilt to her voice hides a sense of unease. Rich may be just a lovelorn sap, but he was starting to creep her out...

His pass was too secure for a switch, and the one she held she had not even looked at. For a moment Charlotte wonders if he is drunk enough not to notice her trying to swap cards, but then realizes it is she who is tipsy, and giggles. No, this won't do. She cannot get the card, and neither can Stephanie, now. Unless she has magic... Does she use magic to steal? Does Stephanie even steal? Is that not against the grain for her? Hmm.

Head abuzz with questions she wouldn't remember in an hour, thoughts alight with intoxication, Charlotte turns to leave with what she hopes a practiced grace, and not the clumsy, wobbly pirouette she fears it truly is.

14. - Top - End - #464

Stephanie continued to trustingly wait for the shoe to drop. This was a complicated con.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

At about this time, you notice what could be described as a ripple in the crowd about 100 yards away. It seems to be that same flock of reporters, and striding confidently in the middle is a tall woman with white hair. You recognize her from the television before, and Rose had told you enough before her departure that you're sure this is a near-perfect copy of Rose's mask. Or perhaps that Rise's mask is the copy of this woman.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande manages to get lost in between their contacts and the stage. This may have had something to do with the fact that she was under a lot of stress. After all, this was a job that she'd managed to land a vital part in, despite the fact that she hardly felt qualified next to Stephanie, who could probably do the whole thing solo. And there was the fact that the random members of the crowd tended to look at her with a curious expression. What did she look like to them? A dark-skinned girl still in her twenties? Or had she aged? Did the suit look impressive to them, or was it merely a dirty hand-me-down from days gone by? After all, if faerie magic could make Stephanie look like a normal girl, it could make a fine suit look awful.

The fact that the field was full of smells - packed picnics, stale and fresh alcohol, sweat and mosquito repellent and cologne - didn't help her sudden burgeoning headache either.

And neither did one Kevin Michaels, who had a very embarrassing middle name, something of a post-college-life-crisis, poor taste in drinking buddies, and a propensity to hit on anyone who looked vaguely female and looked to be out of high school. Now, to his credit, it was his friends who talked him into giving a smooch to the classy broad in the business suit who looked rather spacey. It was, however, entirely his idea to try and go french with it. After all, he was irresistible, and quite drunk.

The next half-a-minute is a tangle of business suit, t-shirt, and a man who vaguely, deep within his mind, understands that forcing his tongue into this woman's mouth was not the best idea that he had ever had, but cannot explain why.

The next half-a-minute is Kevin's drinking buddies trying to apologize, using vaguely misogynistic language, not that the classy broad seems to care. She is having a bad day and she's upset and Kevin Michaels has just made it worse. She actually snarls at him, then bites her lip and furiously power-walks off. This ends up on Facebook, much to the consternation of Kevin's parents, who have not quite gotten used to their son's partying lifestyle.

So it is that as Marchande finds Stephanie, she is frazzled, very upset, and starting to realize that the shadow of a headache that she had a few minutes ago is blossoming into an actual headache. "Where's the pass?" she barks. "I thought... never mind. I have the notes, you have you. Let's slip around. And... good luck, okay?"

Those last words are rather at odds with the rest of her speech. Almost tender. If it weren't for that twinge of jealousy at how little luck Stephanie would probably need, with all her super-archeologist skills, it wouldn't have been almost.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Glamour to use Favored Fate on Stephanie. Not Beneficent Fate, because that would royally screw her over if pickpocketing turned out to be an opposed roll.

Query: is Companion's Boon obvious in its use?
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2012-09-01 at 11:31 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #467

[I can't imagine how it would be obvious in it's use, or at least not in a way that's not covered by the Mask.]

Stephanie, seeing Charlotte return empty handed, quickly grabbed the press pass back off her and and handed it right across to Marchy. Whatever plan Charlotte had made hadn't gone through, that was okay, but they didn't have time to discuss it.

She'd been too focused on watching for Charlotte's opening to pay attention to the muffled shout and the sound of someone being slapped behind her. Even so it had sorely tested her willpower and she'd been just about to turn around and blindly hurtle herself into the situation when Marchy managed to come back, looking irked. Stephanie winced a little, seeing some of the headache she'd endured yesterday on Marchy's face.

"Thanks," she said. Her mind was moving too fast, amidst the pulsing glow of the alcohol, to pause and reflect. But she was feeling fantastic. The world was making sense right now. This was how it should be.

She stepped into the crowd and vanished.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [I can't imagine how it would be obvious in it's use, or at least not in a way that's not covered by the Mask.]

She stepped into the crowd and vanished.
    [No, there's no obvious sign unless you make one on purpose.]

Stephanie has no trouble sliding through the crowd. The reporters and Karl earlier had done it in a sort of half-forceful, half-skillful way, never offending anyone as long as they didn't bump into the person more than once. By contrast, Stephanie simply slides through the people, more like moving through a forest and stepping around the trees.

[i.e. dex 5/stealth 3 means you don't need a roll to get where you're going without bumping into anyone. Stephanie is in whatever position you'd like her to be in.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #469
    Banned

Charlotte, for her part, merely harrumphs when stephanie grabs the pass without so much as a merci, but breaks Ito and sidles a fit of giggles when doing so rushes the euphoria to her head. She still has half a bottle, or... Well, some of a bottle. She never started measuring. But she also is beginning to realize she can't think clearly.

And then Marchande was off, too, and it was catch-up, catch-up or be left behind!

20. - Top - End - #470

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    [No, there's no obvious sign unless you make one on purpose.]

Stephanie has no trouble sliding through the crowd. The reporters and Karl earlier had done it in a sort of half-forceful, half-skillful way, never offending anyone as long as they didn't bump into the person more than once. By contrast, Stephanie simply slides through the people, more like moving through a forest and stepping around the trees.

[i.e. dex 5/stealth 3 means you don't need a roll to get where you're going without bumping into anyone. Stephanie is in whatever position you'd like her to be in.]
    First things first.

Stephanie quickly found the idiot who'd kissed Marchy and stole his wallet.

After that would position herself close by the Speaker.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

First things first.

Stephanie quickly found the idiot who'd kissed Marchy and stole his wallet.

After that would position herself close by the Speaker.
    [Because Stephanie is drunk, you'll need to actually roll (with the alcohol penalty, depending on how many drinks you decide Stephanie has had up to this point.) Dex+Larceny. On the up side, if you blow it, that will definitely get you the willpower.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #472

[Because Stephanie is drunk, you'll need to actually roll (with the alcohol penalty, depending on how many drinks you decide Stephanie has had up to this point.) Dex+Larceny. On the up side, if you blow it, that will definitely get you the willpower.]
    [I would argue that even making the attempt is worth the willpower. Stephanie's vice is all about taking stupid, unnecessary risks. If I actually have to get caught in a pickpocket to recover a single point of additional willpower then that sets an enormously high bar for willpower regains in the future. The Virtue and Vice chapter specifically argues that vices are "[A]ctions that pose some risk to the character... Fulfilling vices therefore offers small rewards that are easy to come by"

Two successes, off five dice. Also he's going to be at least as drunk as I am.]

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

[I would argue that even making the attempt is worth the willpower]
    [The fact that the attempt required a roll gets you the willpower, sure. If it hadn't posed any risk and was automatic, even while drunk, I think it would not.]

Stephanie swipes the guy's wallet. Sadly, he's only got $23, a single twenty and a few ones. He also has his bus pass in there, so now he probably will have to walk home.

Having completed her small diversion, Stephanie then slips closer to the speaker, who is now about 50 yards from the stage and basically in a little bubble surrounded by several reporters.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #474

[The fact that the attempt required a roll gets you the willpower, sure. If it hadn't posed any risk and was automatic, even while drunk, I think it would not.]

Stephanie swipes the guy's wallet. Sadly, he's only got $23, a single twenty and a few ones. He also has his bus pass in there, so now he probably will have to walk home.

Having completed her small diversion, Stephanie then slips closer to the speaker, who is now about 50 yards from the stage and basically in a little bubble surrounded by several reporters.
    [Sounds fair]

Stephanie's first act was to look for where the Speaker might be concealing her notes, if it was obvious at all. Chances were it wouldn't be, but knowing where all the pockets were was important.

She held the knife she'd borrowed from before in her sleeve. This was going to be a complete 1066-style cutpurse. When Marchy told the Speaker she'd lost her notes, the speaker would reflexively reach for her pocket to check. Stephanie would step in, cut a hole in her pocket, grab the notes through it, and step back. The hole in the pocket would explain to the Speaker how she'd lost them, and also stop Stephanie's hand getting in the way of hers.

It'd have to be quick and it'd have to be perfect, but this seemed like the best way to pull this off. She waited for Marchy's distraction.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-02 at 09:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

It is rather difficult to cut through a crowd backwards, and then forwards again, without being spotted. This difficulty is increased when one is wearing a rather conspicuous suit and smells faintly of cheap beer, so Marchande lets the speaker do most of the work for her, simply falling naturally into the wake she leaves.

She waits for the proper moment. Then, trusting in Stephanie, she kneels, pulls the fakes out of her breast pocket, and rises with a panicked expression. Here goes nothing. "Miss Speaker! Miss Speaker! Your notes! You dropped your notes!"

Her voice is young, eager, the voice of someone eager to please. She'd seen enough naive young fools like that to know how they acted. What ho.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Charlotte doubletake's at Marchande's kneel-and-rise. She's far enough away not truly hear her words, but the tone, the look. It hits home that maybe, just maybe, Marchande will be fighting her canine nature the rest of her life, and even little things, things both humans and dogs do, would be painful reminders.

Stopped like a still-life flower amidst the time lapsed crowd, her heart breaks. She turns to Kalina, and draws what comfort there is in the emotionless void of another of the Lost.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly for Charlotte, the angelic Kalina is not present, having been taken some distance away by Karl, in order to avoid making another scene.

Meanwhile, the human Kalina starts a bit at Marchande's actions, and pulls open her jacket, attempting to reveal an inner pocket with the notes tucked inside.
    [This would be Stephanie's chance, otherwise fake Kalina will notice that her notes are still on her person.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #478

Sadly for Charlotte, the angelic Kalina is not present, having been taken some distance away by Karl, in order to avoid making another scene.

Meanwhile, the human Kalina starts a bit at Marchande's actions, and pulls open her jacket, attempting to reveal an inner pocket with the notes tucked inside.
    [This would be Stephanie's chance, otherwise fake Kalina will notice that her notes are still on her person.]
    [In which case I need a penalty,
    Or bonus, in your magnanimity.]

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

[In which case I need a penalty,
    Or bonus, in your magnanimity.]
    [Dex+larceny, drunkennes penalty applies, you get a +1 bonus for being in great position, extra -2 because it's an inner pocket and relatively high up compared to pants. So, you end up at drunkenness and an extra -1.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #480

[Dex+larceny, drunkennes penalty applies, you get a +1 bonus for being in great position, extra -2 because it's an inner pocket and relatively high up compared to pants. So, you end up at drunkenness and an extra -1.]
    [Dex+Larceny-2+Favoured Fate(4)+Willpower(3). If this is Opposed, I use Night's Subtle Distractions (no cost, outdoors at night) which doubles any environmental penalties (such as from the crowd's noise) or, if there are none, inflicts a -1 penalty.

Total pool 12

5 Successes! If I get an exceptional success bonus I also steal her watch.

EDIT: Raises to 7 successes if Marchy uses Companion's Boon.]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-04 at 02:50 AM.