New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kimboat
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before but in comic 9 Roy refers to him as "V-Man". Maybe this was before the Giant wasn't sure about the gender issue.
    It's always amused me that people take this to be evidence. It's a nickname. In college I had a friend called Verity who was nicknamed "V-Man", and she was not only most definitely female but also drop-dead gorgeous into the bargain. ;)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

V always struck me as female- maybe more of a tought girl at some points, but still a girl. Here's a big piece of evidence (from comic number 3)

Haley: So, the Boots of Speed were totally powerful, but they were, like, lime green.

V: Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced.

That is not the kind of statement a guy makes.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

V has always struck me as male, not female. And in reading the strip, even with the stated "V's gender is ambiguous and YOU SHALL NEVER KNOW BWAHAHAHA", I continue to think so.

No particular reason, that's just the way the character strikes me.
    Legacy of the Bieth - my B/X D&D campaign setting. Abbasid/Almoravid North Africa, spaghetti westerns, and Roadside Picnic.
    LotB tumblr and Google Plus campaign page

Awesome

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Not that it matters, but he's probably male. Why? Well, besides the fact that female characters in the comic are drawn in a very feminine way, even when in robes, he has a male name.

Vaarsuvius.
    "All empires fall. You just have to know where to push."
    ~Lord Jierdan Firkraag~
    The Dragon's Lair - my D&D Source

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

So, it's well-discussed that Rich has deliberately created a gender-neutral character in V. The only question is whether V, as a dynamic character, will eventually have its gender-neutral assignment revised.

Actually, I take that back. Whether a confirmed gender assignment occur isn't the only question -- another other big question is what sort of gender will be assigned if/when such an event occurs. I'm of the opinion that this possibility is a distant, distant one, simply because the gender-neutral conceit is a fun one for V, and not likely to run dry anytime soon.

I would guess that if a gender is assigned, and that if it is chosen from the standard male/female paradigm, that the choice will be male. I make this guess merely based on the thought that for many characters, name is predictive of identity, and V's name ends in a Latin masculine convention. Certainly, I doubt that whatever language V was named in has the same conventions as latin, but the choice of the name was made by someone whose primary language is one with heavy subtextual Latin influence. Thus, it seems likely that even if V was generated with the intent of being gender-neutral, the inherent associations of the name used to identify this character may be considered indicators of subconscious authorial proclivities towards a masculine destiny.
    DM of the World of Koarch at Myth-Weavers

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost every strip I percieve V to be male.
    And the Giant wants us to view V as gender neutral. It makes a more interesting character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod The Giant
    V always struck me as female- maybe more of a tought girl at some points, but still a girl. Here's a big piece of evidence (from comic number 3)

Haley: So, the Boots of Speed were totally powerful, but they were, like, lime green.

V: Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced.

That is not the kind of statement a guy makes.
    That's not exactly that kind of statement a girl makes, either. That's the kind of statement a sapient, anthropomorphic thesaurus makes. And it's kinda hard to tell whether V's being sarcastic or serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nothing I can phrase in any non-inchohate manner, but my overall impression is that V is female. Maybe it's his/her emotional sensitivity of Haley's comfort around him. Thin leads, but that's where my money would go.
    The plural of 'moron' is 'focus group.'

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have always, even before realizing that it was up for debate, thought that V was female, due to the way that (s)he interacts with Haley.

That said, I don't think it really matters, or that it will be revealed anytime soon, since one of V's defining traits is to be gender-ambiguous.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishi
    That said, I don't think it really matters, or that it will be revealed anytime soon, since one of V's defining traits is to be gender-ambiguous.
    Which is one of the reasons he/she/it is my favourite character. I doubt I'd like Vaarsuvius as much if I knew his/her/its gender.
    A rainstorm of needles, huh? I have an idea...let's make it rain blood instead.

Please click my dragon eggs so they can grow big and strong and DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!

...I mean...be your best friends. ^^;

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

Other characters in the comic seem to think he's male, too.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html
    ~Lord Jierdan Firkraag~

12. - Top - End - #162

But other characters (e.g. Nale) think V is female. You'll need better evidence than that.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

/Quote/"That's not exactly that kind of statement a girl makes, either. That's the kind of statement a sapient, anthropomorphic thesaurus makes." /End Quote/
    Not sure how to do quotes...I suck at computer literacy. Anyway, please allow me to LOL! Next time I roll character, I'll apply the Anthropomorphic template from Savage Species to an Awakened thesaurus construct---then I can REALLY throw the book at the bad guys!
    Oh, and my opinion of V's gender changes from strip to strip. I think that Rich's choice to make a gender-uncertain character in the first place is six shades of AWSOME. You'd never see something like that on the comic strip pages of the newspaper(at least, not in most places in America)! Thanks Rich, keep keep the mystery alive.
    Edit: Okay, I now figured out how to "Quote" but still I don't know how to do so retroactively in the "Modify" text box. Can it even be done?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

there's a tiny little "Quote" written by the post header, that's how you quote a text

V... I don't think V would ever be sarcastic with Haley, at least hir's not shown such behaviour yet.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Well despite it being a nickname and Sir Norbert knowing a girl called 'V Man' (I still think that's a little pecular) my own humble opinion is that for the first few comics, Rich thought of V as a guy.

After a while he started playing up the femininity a bit, the whole prissy elf thing, and then thought, 'hey, I never did say that he was a guy', and started this whole vagueness to add depth to the character.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Works the same for me, I like it \o/

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

Women are drawn in a very feminine way even sticky, even in robes. V is not.

His name ends in -us

Other characters refer to him as a "he".

Everyone knows male elves might look feminine, and not the other way around ::)

As evidence goes, it's suggested he's a "he". If for any reason one might want to think otherwise, it's not a crime. Strips where there is confusion about it have been fun.
    ~Lord Jierdan Firkraag~

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Bother reading the whole thing and you'll see that the name termination isn't even closely linked to hir gender.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would say male, because only one character has reffered to V as "she" so unless every character is wrong, Id say male.
    Click for spoilers on my site!

Uber cool "dire piano" avatar by Mr.Saturn!

I'm apparently a Neutral Good Human Druid (3rd Level) good ol' tests.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

MALE!

Stop making me say "her" at times; V is a fe- I mean er... V IS A MALE!

Varsuuvious (sp) was obviously a male before The Giant found a joke to pimp!

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kimboat
    Well despite it being a nickname and Sir Norbert knowing a girl called 'V Man' (I still think that's a little pecular) my own humble opinion is that for the first few comics, Rich thought of V as a guy.
    Maybe I should add that my opinion is the same as yours :D but I do want to emphasise that we really don't know! So when someone comes out with "I'm sure he's male" or "I'm sure she's female", I like to make a couple of points on the other side to keep the balance ;) It's tremendous fun how long this has been spun out for and I want it to keep going... so long as it IS revealed at the end.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think V is female because of certain subtler reasons rather than obvious traits people think of as masculine, which are probably stereotype-influenced. Don't let stereotypes cloud your vision-they don't apply to everyone. I'm female and I have lots of traits you would probably say are masculine.
    私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
    Watashi no hobakurafuto wa unagi ippai desu.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

So I think she's a girl. Why? I just kinda get a vibe from V. This and her analysis of Belkar's mind (lust or hate), leans toward her being a girl. All who Belkar had lusted after where girls so V should be too.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Male!

1. The name clearly hints towards male. The roman -us indicates masculinity.

2. Both of V's linear guild opposites are male.

3. There are several references to him as being male. In #306, the wizards refer to him as "he" and in #9, Roy calls him "V-Man".

This is the hard evidence. I don't want to examine his behaviour in detail and analyse how certain traits are male/female. There are no unequivocal hints towards V being female but several towards him being male. I have yet to see an argument that is better than "V's behaviour looks kinda female to me".

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Silkenfist View Post
    Male!

1. The name clearly hints towards male. The roman -us indicates masculinity.

2. Both of V's linear guild opposites are male.

3. There are several references to him as being male. In #306, the wizards refer to him as "he" and in #9, Roy calls him "V-Man".
    Dattebayo!(You Fail It!)

Counter point 1. V is Elven. So roman naming indications does not necessarily apply. (My name's Jack. Confused people calls me Jackie. So... Name =/= gender)

Counter point 2. Roy's counter part is half-orc, Durkon's counter part is female.

Counter point 3. There are comics where V is referred to as a she ;
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan View Post
    Male
    Roy (#9)
    Elan (#87)
    Nale (#252)
    2 Azure wizards (#306)

Female
    Potion seller (#135)
    Dwarven assassin (#240)
    Sabine (#252)

Unclear
    Horse valet (#173)
    Belkar (#177)

Score: 4-3-2

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

V was referred to only as male for quite a long time. Leading me to believe that the only reason the joke is even in existant is because some people somehow thought he was female.

It's kind of how like the word Gay originally meant "Happy", but because of a sheer number of idiots thinking it meant "homosexual" even the official definition changed.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by President Legos View Post
    So I think she's a girl. Why? I just kinda get a vibe from V. This and her analysis of Belkar's mind (lust or hate), leans toward her being a girl. All who Belkar had lusted after where girls so V should be too.
    There's no evidence that does lust after . The Event, as V calls it, was caused by alcohol. V's rationalization of it is as bad as 's logic in 406.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    There's no evidence that does lust after . The Event, as V calls it, was caused by alcohol. V's rationalization of it is as bad as 's logic in 406.
    Alchohol, helping men get laid since 1234 B.C.. Seriously though, I agree, a feminine male would certainly appear female under the influence. Once a friend of a friend got so drunk he couldn't tell the difference, and was hitting on everyone, males included.

The next day was fun, since he did not remember anything.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    V was referred to only as male for quite a long time. Leading me to believe that the only reason the joke is even in existant is because some people somehow thought he was female.

It's kind of how like the word Gay originally meant "Happy", but because of a sheer number of idiots thinking it meant "homosexual" even the official definition changed.
    While I will agree that 123( the one scene in the Inn with the orbs) strips is a long time. But they have referred to V as a male only a few times. And only seen clearly in 2 strips. as noted back on page two by Wrecan.

Though wiki is well... Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay
    The word did not change that simply.

30. - Top - End - #180

MindFlayer

My pet theory involves an absent-minded player and a sadistic GM

player:
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin