New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1395
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Raw figures, though, don't always tell the whole story. The calibre of the opposition faced by Klose- and the tally he racked up against them- isn't really comparable to that faced by, say, Muller. Klose scored a hat-trick against a Saudi Arabia side that just rolled over and asked to be kicked as soon as they saw who they were up against in 2002, for instance. He scored three against England and Argentina this time round, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that those were brilliant defensive displays by the opposition.
    Are you saying that the other players never gutted weak defences? That is the JOB of a striker. You're trying to diminish his record for ... doing what he's meant to?

There's also the matter of goals per game to take into account. Muller amassed his tally in two world cups, Fontaine in just one. And I don't think anyone in their right mind could begin to compare Klose to Pele.
    And those first two players weren't consistently capable enough to make it in more world cups. Being a flash in the pan doesn't make you a good player. I don't need to compare Klose to Pele - if Pele can't score more goals then he doesn't deserve to be placed higher.

Klose is a good finisher, but he's only ever been a goal-poacher who's needed to have opportunities created for him, while most of the others towards the top of the list were capable of creating chances themselves. He deserves his place in the pantheon of successful World Cup goalscorers, no doubt, but I don't think he really deserves to be at the top of the list.
    Receiving a pass and scoring is not goal-poaching, it is earning your goal as much as anybody else.

Crafting your own chances might seem a lot more impressive to the spectators, but being perfectly positioned and seizing on the ball when it falls to you requires excellent timing and initiative, not to mention patience - something which other strikers will typically lack.

Klose deserves to be at the top every bit as much as those other strikers. They all had their grandeur and their pratfalls. Picking him apart and enshrining the others isn't productive if you actually want people to keep playing soccer.

Note that I am not saying that we should simply pedestal strikers who can nail the sitters but are otherwise useless (I'm looking at you, Rooney) - simply that if someone claws his way up through the ranks then he deserves to have done so.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, come on now. Is Klose one of the most successful international strikers of recent years? Yes. Is he one of the greatest players of all time? No, absolutely not.

Are you saying that the other players never gutted weak defences? That is the JOB of a striker. You're trying to diminish his record for ... doing what he's meant to?
    So beating Saudia Arabia 8-0 would be just as impressive an achievement as beating Italy 8-0, then?

And those first two players weren't consistently capable enough to make it in more world cups. Being a flash in the pan doesn't make you a good player. I don't need to compare Klose to Pele - if Pele can't score more goals then he doesn't deserve to be placed higher.
    Fontaine's international career was ended by injury before the 1962 World Cup, so he never got the chance to play at more than one. Muller's career began in the aftermath of the 1966 Cup, and retired after the victory in 1974. In neither case is that "not being consistently capable enough".

I mean, just compare the goal returns to caps for these players:

Muller 68 from 62 games
    Fontaine 30 from 21
    Pele 77 from 92
    Klose 52 from 101

I can't see how we can look at that return and argue that Klose was the most capable of the lot.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2010-07-11 at 07:58 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, come on now. Is Klose one of the most successful international strikers of recent years? Yes. Is he one of the greatest players of all time? No, absolutely not.
    He's not the greatest player of all time, no.

He is, however, one of the best WORLD CUP players of all time. Maybe you haven't noticed, but it takes nerve to play in a World Cup and many accomplished strikers can't handle it.

Klose can. He doesn't get phased by it and plays consistently in the high-pressure games. That is what's impressive here.

So beating Saudia Arabia 8-0 would be just as impressive an achievement as beating Italy 8-0, then?
    Depends on the year

Honestly though, like I already said - scalping a weak defence is a key part of being a striker. You cannot fault the man for actually doing his job just because you don't want him on the pedestal.

Fontaine's international career was ended by injury before the 1962 World Cup, so he never got the chance to play at more than one. Muller's career began in the aftermath of the 1966 Cup, and retired after the victory in 1974. In neither case is that "not being consistently capable enough".
    The man that falls to injury does not deserve to go further. If you push your body too hard, or if the fates curse you, then you're gone. It's as much your fault as anyone else's.

Which also covers Mullers timing, incidentally. Luck is an integral part of playing soccer. You can't rail on one player for having it when nobody would turn it down.

I mean, just compare the goal returns to caps for these players:

Muller 68 from 62 games
    Fontaine 30 from 21
    Pele 77 from 92
    Klose 52 from 101

I can't see how we can look at that return and argue that Klose was the most capable of the lot.
    Most capable in every international? No, probably not.

However, I'm going to say this again:

Klose is a World Cup player, first and foremost.

Dragging in performance over goals in Euro and friendlies and what-not aren't relevant, because this is about being one of the best World Cup players. Which Klose is/was.

Klose is equal to Muller, only just worse than Ronaldo and better than Fontaine or Pele, in terms of being a World Cup striker.

That's where he stands and that's where the legacy he leaves will remain. The man is done with the game and he earned what he achieved.

Give it up. His career is finished.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blas_de_Lezo View Post
    I know it, it's the surrender of Breda!!

The Dutch like to surrender without fighting through history, but spaniards prefer enemies with honor like Germany who fought until the last second.
    If that were true, how come we were ever victorious with anything?

Of course I am rooting for my home country bigtime here. I hadn't expected Spain to be honest. Netherlands vs Germany has become such a classic kind of match that both of them in the finals of the World Cup has become notorious to see, and Germany was steamlolling all over its opponents. I imagined that if Germany had won, the Dutch players would have needed a big boost in confidence (prolly some speech emphasizing they had already beaten the big Number One, Brazil, which has only happened once before in 1974). Sure, Spain is no quadraplegic dwarf, so it will still be something.

If the Netherlands wins though... I will definitely have the best 20th birthday gift ever, as the World Cup will be handed out on that very day.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

On the Muller/Pele/Close topic, a fact that bears consideration is that during the former two's careers, the World Cup consisted of 16 teams, while for Close, it was 32.

Therefore, Pele and Muller played against better teams on average. And, not to disparage Close's performance, but a goal againt Australia isn't worth quite the same as a goal against Italy. Yes, I know, a goal is a goal and all that, but ... Italy is Italy. Even when it fails to advance beyond the group stage.
    Last edited by Lin Bayaseda; 2010-07-11 at 11:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Bayaseda View Post
    On the Muller/Pele/Close topic, a fact that bears consideration is that during the former two's careers, the World Cup consisted of 16 teams, while for Close, it was 32.

Therefore, Pele and Muller played against better teams on average. And, not to disparage Close's performance, but a goal againt Australia isn't worth quite the same as a goal against Italy. Yes, I know, a goal is a goal and all that, but ... Italy is Italy. Even when it fails to advance beyond the group stage.
    They not only played better teams, but with less teams, there were less games, so they had less chances. If we took away half of Klose's games, would he still be near the top

Go Tigers!

7. - Top - End - #1297

Well...I'm with Holland. They beat Denmark, so they better win!

EDIT: and the best player ever was Peter Schmeichel.
    Last edited by Miklus; 2010-07-11 at 01:17 PM.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Wait, did I miss the new rule where the team with the most yellow cards wins the match?

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    They not only played better teams, but with less teams, there were less games, so they had less chances. If we took away half of Klose's games, would he still be near the top
    Fun fact- tree structures, such as an elimination tournament, grow in height logarithmically to the number of nodes.

This means that in order to have twice the number of teams, each team that makes it to the finals needs only play one more game.
    Last edited by fknm; 2010-07-11 at 02:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Dwarf in the Playground

What a "not very interesting to watch" first half.
    Last edited by Rhydeble; 2010-07-11 at 02:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree, this half was totally dull. And what's with all of the dirty playing??

12. - Top - End - #1302

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    What a "not very interesting to watch" first half.
    I blame Spain. They where everywhere, ruining the dutch play. But they failed to produce anything themselves.

I suppose the same argument could be made for Holland. But I think Spain is mostly to blame.

A quick goal is needed in the second half, or this will go to penalties, I think.
    Bad to the Bone!

13. - Top - End - #1303

Both teams seem content with a penalty shootout. They should give the cup to Germany. That would show them.
    Bad to the Bone!

14. - Top - End - #1304

Looks like I'm going to win my bet. I bet the Dutch would get finished with the penalties. They always lose with the penalties. I'm saying Spanish 4, Dutch 2. When they have to shoot penalties.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

This has been a rather ridiculous final so far, indeed. The Dutch didn't play the offense well enough and the Spaniards were too quick to fall down. Such a shame, really, for all those who had expected a grand game.

16. - Top - End - #1306

I'm not having much fun for a world cup final. That could easily just be because I was woken up to see it. But it is not particularly exciting.

Go Netherlands I guess.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Poor game overall.

Can we just switch the Final and Third Place games in the books? That was a much better game.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's dumb, but traditionally, the 3rd place games are often better than the finals.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

FINALLY.
    That is the most boring final I've ever seen. Yesterday's game was SO much better.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2010-07-11 at 03:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

No...
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    FINALLY.
    That is the most boring final I've ever seen. Yesterday's game was SO much better.
    Definitely.

It's also pretty lame that Spain has won all of its matches with so little goals at all.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry.

PS: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Nooooooooooooooooo! Nooooooooooooo!!!
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Dwarf in the Playground

that referee really needs to look up the off-side rules.

the goal wasn't offside, but the pass before that WAS. And now I'm going to leave the forums before I say stuff that attracts a certain never-sleeping mod.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

The team I dislike from the start always wins the World Cup ...

Congrats to Spain, I guess. Don't think for as much as a second that I'm in any way happy with the result.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Here is the real hero of the world cup
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Orc in the Playground

NOOO!

This makes what, the third time Holland have come so close yet so far?

Oh well, I've had $50 riding on both Holland and Spain to win this thing since the start of the tournament so I'm not TOO disappointed.

WW Games I have won:
    Spoiler
    Show

Day of the Dead 2 - Doctor
    Monster Mash III - Zombie Alpha

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Avatar courtesy of the wonderful Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You know who is the true winner here? that goddammed octopus
    with our backs to the wall

For those about to rock,we salute you!

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Well, so we won. Go us, I guess. Now, to ready myself for a month of uninterrupted not hearing about anything other than this...

(I'm one of those odd Spanish that dislike soccer, yes )

30. - Top - End - #1320

Sigh. The teams were rather closely matched, I suppose. And both sides did commit a lot of fouls, but I feel the Netherlands were picked on more than Spain...oh well. It wasn't the most exciting game, but you could see that both sides were putting in a ton of effort.

However, I'd like to see how FIFA justifies the exclusion of technology now, after the winning goal of a World Cup Final was the result of an offside pass.