New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crossovers that are totally wicked

One of the few cases where you would cheer on the Reapers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by NNescio; 2012-04-14 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Could you tell me why you'd cheer on the Reapers then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Not without SERIOUS buffing on the part of the Reapers. As they stand, they are heavily out-gunned.

ME is epic in scale, but in comparision WAAAY low tech compared to everyone else. For a kick off, their ships have got minimal defences against energy weapons, and they are SERIOUSLY out-ranged by pretty much everyone (max range of only tens of thousands of kilometers); and the only FTL they could out-run is Star Trek (though to be fair, nearly EVERYONE can do that...!) In terms of weapon energy output, the ME universe is just not in the same order of magnitude. (Remember, their biggest GUNS only fire at 1% the speed of light, which is 50 times less than the Enterprise D's sublight cruising speed...) And in terms of sensors, Mass Effect's are far inferior to those in most sci-fi, especially something like Star Trek where they're practically magical.

Now, to be fair, on a ground war, the fight would be a bit (a lot) more even (and outright curbstomp the other way on the Star Trek races, like as not!)

I love the ME universe, but it is harder sci-fi than a fair chunk and is overall lower-tech compared to a lot, for all the larger scope of the conflicts.
    That's part of what makes it interesting, really. You're right, if the Federation catches the Reapers in space, then the battle is short, unless the Reapers jump to FTL quick. Which they might. But they lose the element of surprise, because the Federation has heard weirder things than "fleet of giant muderbots". If Reapers are reported in, Starfleet will react, unlike the Citadel Council in Mass Effect.

But if they make it a ground war, then there's trouble. With the Husks it'd be like a Borg invasion, except with giant walking Reapers for support. And no one in Trek is really that good at ground war. So the Reapers' best bet is to hit a homeworld like Earth or Vulcan first. Pretty much the ME3 plan, just in Trek. The problem is, of course, that Trek has seen it all, so again, a rallying cry for help with giant murderbots will likely be answered fairly quickly. Some Klingons might even look forward to it.

It could make for an interesting story, at least. Trek should win this one, yes, especially if its own superbeings get involved, I'd think both the Borg and the Q would be annoyed at the Reapers messing with evolution, but Starfleet would have to re-learn ground war really, really fast to minimize casualties. This could get ugly.

Although the 40k crossover could be fun just for the apathy of it all. I mean, more giant murderbots that want to clean out the galaxy of advanced life? Yeah, that's nice. So... are you the yellow murderbots, the red murderbots or the murder-cyborgs again? Sorry, I lost track. You aren't the chaosbots, are you? Really don't like those...
    Last edited by McNum; 2012-04-14 at 06:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Could you tell me why you'd cheer on the Reapers then.
    See those white, fluffy, cabbit-like creatures? That's their homeworld*, and those things are worse abominations than the Reapers.

(*Artist's interpretation.)
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    That's part of what makes it interesting, really. You're right, if the Federation catches the Reapers in space, then the battle is short, unless the Reapers jump to FTL quick.
    Trouble is, in sci-fi you can't take ground without starship cover... Especially not the Reaper, since they can't hide their destroyers or cap-ship groundside. And stationary Reapers (because a Reaper moving on the ground is as stationary as it gets) are trivially easy targets. Magic Federation sensors would quickly allow them to find out the Reapers have a controlling signal - and assuming they couldn't technobabble a jamming field in the first place - it's then a trivial matter of shooting all the Reaper ships from orbit, where they don't even have the limited defense of manouverability. I mean, thy're hundreds of meters tall, even the small ones. You just can't miss with the sort of targeting systems the Federation have (not to mention in Star Wars, or B5 (who also being lower-tech, actually would be a much more even match, aside from the aforementioned "Reapers still all get murdered by energy weapons."))

The Reapers might win a few ground battles early on, but they would be massecred in the war overall. (Note that their reliance on control signals renders them just as vulnerable as the Battle Droids in Star Wars, once you know their secret.)

The Reapers only hope is that they can come in quickly and quietly enough to start adapting Federation technology (which is way beyond their level of advancement), at which point it would devolve to a weaker form of the Borg verses Star Trek.

No defense againsy energy weapons is just a massive, crippling vulnerability in sci-fi, and it's compounded by the fact if you look at the sort of numbers given for most sci-fi weapons (e.g. Star Trek or Star Wars), the Reaper are unlikely to even be able to get throught the shields of their enemies.)

It doesn't matter how cool your sailing-ship armada is, if the other guy is using guided missiles, you're gonna get sunk.

You know how in sci-fi, there's the thing where the humans run into some aliens and get curb-stomped to start with, because the aliens have technology that's way beyond them? It'd be like that for the Reapers, with the problem that they are far more vulnerable, being overly centralised.

The Reapers are a "bully" fleet, best optimised to dealing with larger numbers of lower-tech enemies (not unreasonably). Against something higher up the chain than them, they're just out of their league.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The gap between Reapers and Trek isn't that big. Sure, Trek has some advantages, like teleporters and burst firepower, but there are a lot of Reapers, and Reapers are shielded too. As I see it, the Reapers have two advantages themselves.

Firstly, as you said: brute force. When they arrive, they arrive by the hundreds. No one on the sane side of power has an easy time with a couple of hundred Reapers touching down on a planet. Yes, they're not hard to hit, but there's still a difference between hitting and killing. We know from the games about how hard a Dreadnaught hits (main gun can deliver 38 kilotons every 5 seconds) and 4 Dreadnaughts to 1 Capital Reaper is an even fight. A Reaper, in other words, can take a hit.

Secondly: Indoctrination. Basically, showing the Borg a few new tricks. The nasty thing about Reapers is that they're infectious. Sure, the giant cuttlefish are scary, but it's the tiny ones that are nasty. Even a dead Reaper can still infect people. So even if the trek tech can't be copied easily by the Reapers, they can go after the eternal security hole in any technology: The user. That was how Sovereign planned to access the Citadel, before Shepard stepped in, after all. The right person in the right place can do a lot of damage. Especially in a fleet that uses vocal commands for auto-destruct. (Talk about an unnecessary security hole...)

But again, I like this paring because it has potential for a nice story. I want to see Picard encounter Sovereign and see if he can out-Shepard Shepard in talking to it, I want to see Reapers land in Trek San Fransisco, and, of course, I want a big space battle. Reapers vs. Star Trek? It has potential for all of that. I agree that it'll end with the Reapers defeated, but getting there will be a fun tale.

I have a pretty good idea on how this would go, really. Sovereign acting as vanguard scouts out the galaxy, reporting back to the main fleet every so often. Now, a ship that size will trip an alarm at some point, and a ship will be sent out to investigate. And what's the first thing Starfleet does when it encounters unknowns? Hail it. And that would be where things start to go bad... Sovereign just needs to put on a friendly face and a sad story about being the last of its kind. Reapers are manipulative and patient, after all. But basically, if the Trek ship sends over crew, the Reapers gain sleeper agents. Even if that means Sovereign is taken out and the wreckage examined.

See that's the downside of having seen it all. You aren't properly scared of it anymore.

7. - Top - End - #157

See those white, fluffy, cabbit-like creatures? That's their homeworld*, and those things are worse abominations than the Reapers.

(*Artist's interpretation.)
    Could you elaborate on what they are and exactly how ambominable they are?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They've got big teeth...

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Mass Effect/WH40K/Star Wars.

Discuss.
    Shep ; "The Reapers are coming to end the galaxy, High Lords of Terra!"
    HLoT ; "We dismissed those claims. Especially since the Reapers are now painted red. And crashed into Armageddon."
    Shep ; "..."

Vader ; "Join me and together we will rule the galaxy as father and So-."
    Shep ; RENEGADE INTERRUPT "My father's dead."
    Vader ; "No, I am your father."
    Shep ; "WHAT?"
    Mordin ; "He seems to be the correct biological age to be your parent, judging by human social sta-"
    Shep ; "I get it, professor."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    The gap between Reapers and Trek isn't that big. Sure, Trek has some advantages, like teleporters and burst firepower, but there are a lot of Reapers, and Reapers are shielded too. As I see it, the Reapers have two advantages themselves.

Firstly, as you said: brute force. When they arrive, they arrive by the hundreds. No one on the sane side of power has an easy time with a couple of hundred Reapers touching down on a planet. Yes, they're not hard to hit, but there's still a difference between hitting and killing. We know from the games about how hard a Dreadnaught hits (main gun can deliver 38 kilotons every 5 seconds) and 4 Dreadnaughts to 1 Capital Reaper is an even fight. A Reaper, in other words, can take a hit.
    And therein lies the problem. That is NOTHING. It's barely two-and-times a modern nuke. In Star Trek they're using anti-matter warheads. The difference in numerical power output is just not even the the same order of magnitude. FTL aside, the Star Trek ships are literally fifty times faster than the Reaper's GUNS (let ALONE the Reapers), with vastly more weapons range.

Reaper shields are kinetic barriers, which are of no protection against phasers (which have a range, on a Galaxy-class of 300 thousands kilometers, about thirty times the range of the Mass Effects "tnes of thousands.")

A photon torpedo is, according to the Trek data, releases about 690 GIGAtons, which is so far beyond the 38 kilotons as to be astonishing. (And remember, most starships can cheerfully take isolated torpedo hits without blinking.)

(To say nothing of the calculated energy releases in Star Wars, whihc are even bigger numbers.)

While on the ground, the Federation are arguably less of a threat than modern infantry (except for their energy weapons, rendering barriers and shields useless), the starship side is such a massively overwhelming advantage that it renders the point moot.

Probably the most decisive advantage is the Star Trek scanners, which are excellent (unlike their military...), which would grant them a massive advantage in recon, which is one of the more important aspects of warfare.

One other point of note is how relativistically close ME fleets fly, making them a highly dense mass of targets, meaning that an area attack (or sustained phaser attack) will hit multiple targets.

Anyway, we're side-tracking the thread a bit, so I'll lay off.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-04-15 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Redundancies ahoy!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    YES! Go Reapers Go! Kill Them all! Those little bastards deserve everything they get!

and yes, if your wondering why, watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica and you'll soon understand…
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

I cannot believe I haven't thought of this yet but:
    TF2/Portal/L4D/Half-Life. Better yet it could happen!
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

TF2/Dr. McNinja.

Even more fun, this actually happened.

Dr. McNinja faced off against Saxton Hale.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #166

BardGuy

Not exactly a crossover, because they take place in the same universe canonically, but recently I was talking to a friend about how Valve could fix their problems with everyone wanting Half Life 2: Episode 3(or Half Life 3) and Portal 3. After the ending of Portal 2, where Chell
    Spoiler
    Show
    is on the surface
    they could make a game to satisfy their stated desire for more multiplayer driven titles by making a co-op game where Chell and Gordon Freeman team up. I mean sure, they're something like 200 years apart, but the only source we have of that in game is Glados, who isn't exactly the most trustworthy.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If I remember correctly

Spoiler
    Show
    Chell was actually created to appear in Episode 3 and they used her in Portal becasue it was a natural fit.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel stupid for not having thought of this before.

Shrek and Princess Bride.

Shrek basically IS Fezzik down to wearing the same clothes and working for a little while for a short tempered shortarse. Of course he would be doubling as Westley.
    Puss in Boots is Inigo Montoya
    Lord Farquaad doubles as Prince Humperdink and Vizzini
    Fiona is Buttercup..kinda
    ...mixing up the plots would probably be the easiest match up in this thread yet.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

The Dresden files (book series) and Anita - Vampire Hunter (PRE-pron! the early books only!)
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I feel stupid for not having thought of this before.

Shrek and Princess Bride.
    I would watch this Crossover for many reasons.
    I should point out however, that Princess Bride was likely an influence on Shrek in some way.

...mixing up the plots would probably be the easiest match up in this thread yet.
    There are some parts that don't directly gel, but they would be funny as a result. IE-Watching Farquad talk about getting rid of the storybook characters while Humperdink talks about starting a war with the neighboring nation. And watching both of them plot for who actually gets the throne when Fiona/Buttercup are gone... Yeah, this is working for me. Totally.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    I would watch this Crossover for many reasons.
    I should point out however, that Princess Bride was likely an influence on Shrek in some way.

There are some parts that don't directly gel, but they would be funny as a result. IE-Watching Farquad talk about getting rid of the storybook characters while Humperdink talks about starting a war with the neighboring nation. And watching both of them plot for who actually gets the throne when Fiona/Buttercup are gone... Yeah, this is working for me. Totally.
    you're right of course..so many scenes seem just lifted from princess bride.. like the moment when they have to find a way to get in the castle to stop the wedding...

better yet, have the 2 casts meet and follow each their own plot..and then squabble over who's better at it, who's getting in the way, who's spoiling who's plot, compare costumes and make a general mess of it.
    I'd love to see farquaad and fiona face the bishop of Snooze
    "mawwage.."
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-05-01 at 01:22 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    The Dresden files (book series) and Anita - Vampire Hunter (PRE-pron! the early books only!)
    Also, the Dresden Fillies.

Dresden Files/MLP: Friendship is Magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

There are just certain things which can crossover with pretty much anything and still work to some extent.

Doctor Who

Kingdom Hearts

Capcom VS

My Little Pony

Marvel or DC comic-verse

24. - Top - End - #174
    Colossus in the Playground

So, here I was sitting at lunch, eating Indian Food. Vindaloo. From there my thoughts went to Red Dwarf. And from there to "Holy crap, that show is actually very similar to Futurama."

Which would make a funny crossover.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Also, the Dresden Fillies.

Dresden Files/MLP: Friendship is Magic.
    Brain Bleach, please?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kingdom Hearts/M.L.P. Friendship is Magic/pokemon

It turns out you can catch heartless ponies in pokeballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Doctor Who/Dresden Files!
    MLP/Warhammer 40K!
    Red Dwarf/40K!
    Doctor Who/Red Dwarf!
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

If this was already mentioned, I apologize.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

Personally, I'd like to see someone take the OP-ness of the DC Universe (say, the core Justice League members) and throw them into the OP-Grimdarkness of the WH40k setting.

Superman: xeno, but human-looking. If he can dodge the Inquisition's Ordo Xenos, he'll be one of the Imperium's weapon of mass destruction. Downside: a lot of space battles can't rely on there being a yellow sun nearby. And Emperor help the Imperium if Chaos turns him.

Batman: can't see him being useful anywhere except for recon and tactics. Peak human-level ninja skills don't really cut it in WH40k unless Bats starts augmenting himself with all the toys from the Mechanicum, turns himself into an Astartes, etc. Plus, who doesn't want to see Batman as a pre-Heresy Alpha Legion or Night Lords Space Marine?

Flash: useless in space. Marginally more useful on the ground for scouting and precision-bombing. Not sure how the Speed Force fits into the setting and how it interacts with Warpspace.

Martian Manhunter: xenophobia is a bitch. Also, J'onn's vast psychic powers makes him vulnerable to Chaos possession. I've a funny thought that the Martian, being green, will be hailed as the Orks' prophet and inadvertently starts the biggest Waaarrrghh! the galaxy has ever seen.

Wonder Woman: definitely adopting the Sororitas and teaching them the ways of the warrior women of Themyscira, although they can probably teach her a few things as well. Power armor on Diana is useless, but she'll most likely take to their weapons in an instant.

Dr. Fate: a sorcerer and an avatar of the Lords of Order. Except, there are no more Lords of Order and a bucketload of Chaos instead. WH40k is not a very nice place to be for Dr. Fate. Maybe the Thousand Sons will try to take him to their side.

Green Lantern: His power ring may very well not be the most powerful weapon in the universe anymore, but it's still very flexible. Emotion in this setting is the domain of Chaos, and while GL draws from Willpower, presumably the most pure and balanced in the emotional spectrum, his ring could be a deadly weapon against Chaos.