New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VtM LARP

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default VtM LARP

Help please. Need fun character ideas. Never Larped before. Never played vampire the masquarade before. Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.

Anyways, I think I want to play a strong social character who has a lot of control. But I wouldn't mind being a slump in combat either. Can you even optifu a larp game?

So I need tips on character....Can start as an old japanese vampire?

I need tips on larping. Although this is less urgent as the first day is just chargen day.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: VtM LARP

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Help please.
    Will do what I can.
    Need fun character ideas.
    Again, will do what I can.
    Never Larped before.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Never played vampire the masquarade before.
    Again, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.
    There are, in fact, multiple editions. Some are better than others.
    Anyways, I think I want to play a strong social character who has a lot of control.
    Something with Dominate or Presence would do you well in such a situation. Ventrue, Toreador, Tremere... even Malkavian or Presence-focused Brujah.
    But I wouldn't mind being a slump in combat either.
    Easily doable. Again, Disciplines can play a big part in that.
    Can you even optifu a larp game?
    Oh, yes.
    So I need tips on character....Can start as an old japanese vampire?
    Well, vampires don't happen too often in Asia, because of the Kuei-jin, but perhaps your character was Embraced after immigrating to the Western world?
    I need tips on larping. Although this is less urgent as the first day is just chargen day.
    Like what?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-01-07 at 12:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

I dont know man! I've never done it. Nervous. Give me whatever you can. Even an example char would be awesome.

Edit and i love optifu, so feel free to give it your all if you want :D
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-01-07 at 01:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I dont know man!
    No problem.
    I've never done it. Nervous.
    First step? Calm down.
    Give me whatever you can.
    Sure thing.

How you play the game will have some dependency on what faction you're a part of; for a Camarilla vampire (which is what I'll assume you're playing), you're on the bottommost rung of a vast and ancient pyramid scheme, whose higher-ups are insane serial killers long-detached from their humanity.

It's a big corporation, but the only room for advancement is that which you make for yourself; after all, your superior's probably not going to give up his chair willingly, and he's probably capable of holding that station for eternity.

Another thing to keep in mind: money is no longer an issue for you. Favors are the currency of vampires.

Another thing to keep in mind: you have a shot at immortality. Never, ever throw that away capriciously.

Conversely, you'll also want to remember your Beast. Remember, it's always there, and even the slightest instance of being insulted, threatened, or humiliated will make it want to lash out, and when it does, there won't be a single thing you can do about it, and it'll be you that has to deal with the consequences later.

Another little tidbit of advice: just because they're there doesn't mean you have to adhere perfectly to the stereotypes. A Ventrue who is master of the boardroom can be fun, but so is one who hits the karaoke bars at night. A Brujah biker who rages against the machine can be a fun sight, but you could also surprise everyone by being a computer whiz.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Question: Are you using the Mind's Eye Theater rules or the table top rules for VtM? Answering this question will have a serious impact on optimizing your character.

Mind's Eye Theater uses a system of traits that describe your character. The actual descriptions don't actually matter, what matters is how many traits you have for your phyical, mental, and social categories. Skills are really only useful retesting failed challenges.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Another little tidbit of advice: just because they're there doesn't mean you have to adhere perfectly to the stereotypes. A Ventrue who is master of the boardroom can be fun, but so is one who hits the karaoke bars at night. A Brujah biker who rages against the machine can be a fun sight, but you could also surprise everyone by being a computer whiz.
    Quoted for Truth. I once played a Brujah psychiatrist (of Freud's era with the LSD as treatment type stuff). He had a tweed jacket with elbow patches. He was very Brujah in his mindset, but in a different way. Revolutionary ideas about how vampires should resolve problems by looking at themselves rather than focusing on others. He had patients from all clans and factions, even a werewolf and a mage. Kept his humanity very high, using violence as a last resort, even if he's attacked first.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This thread is relevant to my interests. Seriously, a vampire LARP has been something I have always wanted to try. OK not always, but close enough.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-07 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I am currently playing the Brujah Primogen with a VtM Larp troupe. I am extremely social. Having merits that help you such as Sanctity(from the Sabbat guide) makes it so everyone seems to think your an okay person. Enchanting Voice, and even Prestigious Sire can be helpful in making that smaller first impression a bit bigger.

It doesn't really matter too much if your playing the Old WoD or the New WoD, just have fun! I prefer the Old WoD, personally.

Clans in the old WoD that are socially based or have some sort of social Discipline: Brujah(Presence), Toreador(Presence), Tremere(Dominate), Ventrue(Dominate, Presence), and Malkavians(Before the "Infection" they had Dominate, now they have Dementation).

Out of all the Clans there, I would suggest Toreador as a first. Crafters and Critics. The Toreador are the Social Dominators of the Kindred world. Most of the Harpies(Those that monitor social standing and status of the Camarilla) hail from Toreador.

The Tremere at least from what we play with, have a very fine tuned structure(I used to be a member of the Camarilla Fanclub when they were a Non-Profit.)

If you Really want to be a Truely Dominant Vampire over all the others, the Ventrue are the self-proclaimed "Kings" of the Camarilla(Hardestadt was the creator of the Camarilla, bringing the idea to the other clans for its unity against the Inquisistion.)

The Brujah, are numerous amongst the Kindred and hail from all walks of life, and are known as the "Warrior-Scholars." They can be great combat or social as well. They do have a tendancy to fly off the handle however with the Beast(they take Self-Control penalties when dealing with a Frenzy.)

Let me stress this as well, the most Non-Combat Disciplines can be some of the scarriest in combat or avoiding combat! Animalism is a prime example, there are a lot of creative things you can do with it.

Going along that lines, Nosferatu and Gangrel both have Animalism, which can be useful for spying. Something that Nosferatu excel at is gathering information for sale to others. Gangrel are not so much into dealing with other Kindred, but making sure that they are known as the rulers of the Wilderness(anything that isn't a city usually is where they roam.) However, a social minded Gangrel or Nosferatu can be very useful.

In the end it all comes down to what you feel. I suggest reading the Clan entries to get a bit more feel and flavor.

And I ramble on...

9. - Top - End - #9

Update

I'm playing a toreador, his art is martial arts and assassination techniques. He basically has two sides to him, one the assassin the other, the social elite.

Besides presence and celerity how should I build him?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hang on, doesn't that mean he gets paralyzed whenever someone fights well?
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Hang on, doesn't that mean he gets paralyzed whenever someone fights well?
    Or if they try and assassinate him. I can see this going well.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Update

I'm playing a toreador, his art is martial arts and assassination techniques. He basically has two sides to him, one the assassin the other, the social elite.

Auspex to spot traps and hidden defences
    Obfuscate is going to be pretty vital to
    And either Animalism or some Merit that means animals won't freak out around you or you're going to set off every gaurd dog in the world
    And yes you may bliss out against highly skilled opponents
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2011-01-09 at 07:48 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Update

Side note: This particular concept gets played pretty often. The term I have heard applied is Warreador. Depending on which group you are playing in, you may be looked down on by all other toreador as a poseur. Certainly, I would not play that concept in the Camarilla fan club unless you are ready to take heat for it.

Play what you want, but be aware that you are not the first person to think of that and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan, unless you have already talked with the other toreador players and you know they are cool with it.

14. - Top - End - #14

I would say he'd be facinated/paralyzed while watching a beautiful fight/assassination. Since most aren't, I'm not too worried.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    Side note: This particular concept gets played pretty often. The term I have heard applied is Warreador. Depending on which group you are playing in, you may be looked down on by all other toreador as a poseur. Certainly, I would not play that concept in the Camarilla fan club unless you are ready to take heat for it.

Play what you want, but be aware that you are not the first person to think of that and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan, unless you have already talked with the other toreador players and you know they are cool with it.
    They're cool with it and haven't heard of it before. Guess it depends on the group. Cause some of them have played for years.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

They're cool with it and haven't heard of it before. Guess it depends on the group. Cause some of them have played for years.
    Good. I'm glad you can play what you want. I just give the warning b/c I have seen new players get reamed out on their first night for certain concepts, and I try to prevent that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I would say he'd be facinated/paralyzed while watching a beautiful fight/assassination. Since most aren't, I'm not too worried.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a 'beautiful' fight ?
    IMHO Martial Arts are your characters chosen art form. Any highly skilled martial artist will be a living work of art that your character is most able to appreciate.
    Certainly most GM's when faced with this character type have, in my experience, expected characters to make Self-Control rolls in these kinds of situation.And yes its fairly common and yes I've played it myself ( Sir Giles de Mornay, Toreador Knight in a Dark Ages game) and yes I've got fascinated by an opponent.

and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan,
    And this, so very much this.
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2011-01-09 at 07:58 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #18

Suppose I'd better subscribe to this thread... the ST's been hinting that he wants to get a LARP together...

See, I've never LARPed before, but it does sound fun.

19. - Top - End - #19

about the martial art thing: its a very specific...way of killing that he thinks is beautiful. Someone would have to study his crime scenes and then become very good at it themselves to make him drool over it. He's had decades of practice from his mortal life's job in the police.

Also, I hear we can buy up to 8th generation. That's really important right?

20. - Top - End - #20

It's about as important as you want it to be. 8th-generation is pretty nice; it does put you at an advantage. Lower generation means you can disregard a Dominate from someone of higher generation. Lower generation means you have a larger blood pool and can spend more blood in a round.

You just gotta watch out for diablerie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi! I live and breath White Wolf LARP (well not really, but I know just about all the rules and stuff for Mind's Eye Theatre).

Alright, let's get started! I can't really explain all of the mechanics so if you need something explained, please stop me.

Help please. Need fun character ideas. Never Larped before. Never played vampire the masquarade before. Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.
    Kind of a big deal, if it's the latest then it's going to be Mind's Eye Theatre revised.

Can start as an old japanese vampire?
    Only problem is that Kui-Jin (vampires from the East) are from that area and Cainites (vampires you play) never really infiltrated the area aside from some Ravnos, Gangrel, Selubri, and a Giovanni branch. Kui-Jin and Kindred don't mix. Might I suggest instead going with the Middle East area? You have a similar problem with Assamites, but it's not as big of a deal and could make a cool background.

I need tips on larping.

Here's the best I can do:
    1) Keep IC and OOC seperate, it's live action and everyone's playing a character. You can be shouting at eachother or trying to kill eachother, but at the end of the day you're both nerds who have a cool hobby.
    2) Don't try to win. Try to tell a good story.
    3) Motivations. You're character, when you create him, must want something whether it's a primogen spot, the prince spot, to become an Archon, or to just be the power behind the throne--you need goals to create conflict.
    4) Background and personality. The character is not you and should have different mannerisms. LARPing, expecially Theatre Larping is half improve acting.

I dont know man! I've never done it. Nervous. Give me whatever you can. Even an example char would be awesome.
    If you want to give the character creation rules your ST has given I can start you creating a character mechanically. People on here have already been a good help with the fluff aspect.

This thread is relevant to my interests. Seriously, a vampire LARP has been something I have always wanted to try. OK not always, but close enough.
    /plug
    If you're over 18 I'd recommend either the Camarilla (organization I'm a part of) or One World by Night (Not a part of but heard good things about). They're both global organizations that play a global chronicle (for instance, I live in Salt Lake City and my character trades emails with the prince of New York. We also have global conventions and stuff).
    /plug

Depends on XP. However, general advice on building a character is this: take max flaws and negative traits, get as many traits as possible, and a win all ties as soon as possible (for physical combat). For a ninja like Toreador (it really is a wareador) you'll want to cap out you physicals, and get advanced celerity asap. Also getting second basic presence and first basic auspex asap would be good too.

In terms of combat also, staking is bad-ass. I recommend getting the archery ability.

I'd recommend, with six freebie points, to get second basic obfuscate as well for that concept.

Also remember, you'll want a lot of mental traits. Remember, it's not about what you find beautiful, it's what's on the other person's sheet. For instance, you might find martial arts beautiful, but unless someone has expression 3, you're not mesmerized. But if you fight a tzimisce... well... yeah get ready to be in awe at body crafts. Similarly, you'll want expression in fighting and kill etc for it to be beautiful. Weird, but that's how it works.

Gen is weird. In some cases it matters--in others it doesn't. Here's the big thing for the social aspect, 8th gen is an elder, which are looked more highly upon and more is expected from. 9th and 10th are ancilla who are the big movers and shakers. 11 - 13th are neonates do most of the dirty work.

If you're new to the setting, I'd highly recommend a neonate as less is expected from and you can get away with more. Also note that elders are diablorie bait, especially if everyone starts with the same XP. If you get a win all ties and some a good number of traits, specialities, and weapons, you can fight some weaker elders (i.e. elders without win all ties).

However, powerwise, being an elder is almost always better. The lower gen you have, the better you are. Elders get access to sick good elder powers, more traits, higher ability caps, and can spend more blood a round.
    Last edited by Semidi; 2011-01-10 at 08:32 AM.
    Praise Caine! Hail Sabbat!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I played in and ran VtM LARP games for 5+ years. In independent, small organization and large orgnizations (one world by night).

If there is one thing that people neglect in LARP it is traits. Max your traits as soon as possible. Then as some one else said for physical combat get win on ties as soon as possible.

Traits are king. I watched an Elder Ventrue with loads of Presence/Dominate, but low triats get his butt kicked by a Nosferatu with Might and Swiftness...because of traits.

Along the same lines, Learn what the Negative traits of the weapons your enemies are likely to using.

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

I've also witnessed a Neonate Brujah throw an Elder Ventrue through a wall before. In the Larp based system its really all about the RPS(Rock Paper Scissors.) If you get your Celerity to Advanced you have a Bomb(New symbol to throw in besides the RPS) and a WaT(Win all Ties.) With Celerity it is Dexterity based, so you'll want to make sure to buy enough Dex related traits to keep you going in combat. If you plan on Staking other Vamps, then make sure to take Medicine as an Ability(it will allow you to retest a failed staking challenge after the inital attack.) If you feel you are going to be heavily combat oriented, be sure to get in good with either the Ventrue or Gangrel for Fortitude. A great Discipline for resisting damage, and at Elder levels(IF you can find that powerful of an Elder) you can almost shrug off everything. As well as being an Elder yourself, Presence at Elder levels can save a room from breaking out into all out brawling.

Speaking of Newbies coming in and getting over ran by the Veteran players, it can and does happen, but just remember that its all a game. Recently, my group had a new Giovanni enter the city, and we have a Samedi that is played by a veteran character and is apt to releasing the Spirit Slaves of Giovanni. So he kinda walked down a path he didn't know would get him messed up.

Honestly Auspex is more of an Investigative power, which can be used cleverly. I'd suggest also getting I believe its the First Intermediate power of Dementation(if you can survive a Malkavian breaking your mind.) for Eyes of Chaos, when activated for a Scene you can not be Surprized in any form(including combat) if you think its going to happen(good way to play off paranoia.)

The taking of max Flaws/Negative Traits(Generally 7 flaws and 5 negatives) is a way of minmaxing your toon. But it may not be the most fun you can get out of a character. A good storyteller will find a way to mess with those flaws you took. We just got over a batch of people that all decided to take Hunted as a flaw. Not fun for a city of new people with Enemies much more powerful than them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Along with motivation, have a reason to talk to people more than once. This is one time when having a dorky compulsion to tell everyone you meet about your passion is a good thing. It provides oil to the LARP machine. You have to throw out the "vampires are cagey and let slip nothing, ever" part of the tabletop rulebook, or you stand around bored for hours.

Being a Toreador, you have an excuse to be led around and introduced to the rest of your clan. Take it, both in and out of character. OOC, you'll get to know people's faces and learn the local criteria for your highly subjective clan weakness. IC, connections are currency; have something juicy to offer to them, and do the research on good gifts as soon as possible. Oh, and remember your clan credo: Never bore. Toreadors are not permitted to be dorks. Polish your martial arts routine until it does not bore. Toreadors do not want to be presented with something they can see on the Discovery Channel "warrior secrets" programs.

Stupid LARP Tricks that aren't actually stupid at all. Read them. The Toreador section is one of the weakest, so add onto that with the Ventrue's subsection on the manipulation of same.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Along with motivation, have a reason to talk to people more than once. This is one time when having a dorky compulsion to tell everyone you meet about your passion is a good thing. It provides oil to the LARP machine. You have to throw out the "vampires are cagey and let slip nothing, ever" part of the tabletop rulebook, or you stand around bored for hours.
    I second this. Being a loaner who cares little for the company of others may be a good concept, but in a larp a DM is not going to hold your hand and drag you into the plot.

Also, (after being introduced to the prince) talk to:
    1 The Primogen of your clan
    2 The Sheriff
    3 The Scourge
    4 The keeper of Elyseum.
    Offer to work for them until 1-2 of them say yes. As a new player with a physical character, you want to be someone's flunky, or you will have difficulty getting involved in plots. If there is a bad guy in the city, it is MUCH more common for the sheriff and 2-3 of his guys to go deal with it quietly than for him to walk into the main room and say "does anyone want to help fight an X?" Also, status is everything, and you usually get status by helping powerful people.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2011-01-10 at 11:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

ClericGuy

I second this. Being a loaner who cares little for the company of others may be a good concept, but in a larp a DM is not going to hold your hand and drag you into the plot.

Also, (after being introduced to the prince) talk to:
    1 The Primogen of your clan
    2 The Sheriff
    3 The Scourge
    4 The keeper of Elyseum.
    Offer to work for them until 1-2 of them say yes. As a new player with a physical character, you want to be someone's flunky, or you will have difficulty getting involved in plots. If there is a bad guy in the city, it is MUCH more common for the sheriff and 2-3 of his guys to go deal with it quietly than for him to walk into the main room and say "does anyone want to help fight an X?" Also, status is everything, and you usually get status by helping powerful people.
    The proper order of Introduction should be:
    1 Primogen of the clan
    2 Prince of the City
    3 The Keeper of Elysium
    4 The Sheriff

Traditionally, you'd call up or contact your Primogen who would contact the Prince, Keeper, and Sheriff. You'd be introduced during Court and thus acknowledged. A good Prince NEVER lets anyone know who or if there is a Scourge.

Also remember that some of the Listed Authorities find it quite rude if you just walk up to them and introduce yourself. They having much more Status than you can have you running up a bounty of Boons before you know it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krotchrot View Post
    The proper order of Introduction should be:
    1 Primogen of the clan
    2 Prince of the City
    3 The Keeper of Elysium
    4 The Sheriff

Traditionally, you'd call up or contact your Primogen who would contact the Prince, Keeper, and Sheriff. You'd be introduced during Court and thus acknowledged.
    Varies based on city.

A good Prince NEVER lets anyone know who or if there is a Scourge.
    That depends on who the Scourge is. A suitably frightening Scourge can play "bad cop" to the Sheriffs "good cop" and can keep problems out of the city just by being adequately feared.

Also remember that some of the Listed Authorities find it quite rude if you just walk up to them and introduce yourself. They having much more Status than you can have you running up a bounty of Boons before you know it.
    Bonus! From the perspective of a new player, owing boons to city officers is a good thing. It gets you involved in the game, and makes everyone less likely to kill you (if you kill someone who owes boons you usually have to pay back those boons yourself.)

The real threat to a new player isn't in being used as a pawn by city leaders, it is in sitting around the hosts living room for 2 months waiting for something to happen, then quitting because it never did.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2011-01-10 at 12:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

What's a scourage?

What's a delaibre (sp?) The things that go after elders?

One more point to keep in mind, half the group are newbs. I want to dominate (have them owe me favors whatever) every way I can.

Keep in mind, though he is an assassin on the side, it is more human assassination. He is more of a charasmatic art dealer. In fact, he may keep his secret obsession/art a secret. But basically he wants to have his hands in everything, all sorts of business, police, FBI, vampire business. ETC. Possibly even starting a spy network. He wants to control things from the sidelines is his ultimate goal.

Sorry I'm not describing him very well. But he is not a warreador.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

What's a scourage?
    Scourge is an old vampiric political office. It is basically the guy the prince appoints to patrol the borders and exterminate anyone in the domain without permission. It may be a secret office, but it may also be public, granting the status *feared*.

What's a delaibre (sp?) The things that go after elders?
    Diablerie, or amaranth, is the act of draining another vampire's soul, thereby killing them and stealing some of their generation if they are stronger than you. People who do this are diablerists.

30. - Top - End - #30

Scourge is an old vampiric political office. It is basically the guy the prince appoints to patrol the borders and exterminate anyone in the domain without permission. It may be a secret office, but it may also be public, granting the status *feared*.

Diablerie, or amaranth, is the act of draining another vampire's soul, thereby killing them and stealing some of their generation if they are stronger than you. People who do this are diablerists.
    So anyone can? Even I? (steal souls)
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-01-10 at 01:53 PM.