New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A120: Yes, Change Shape does not affect a creatures type and subtypes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I know, it just seems a bit of a stretch to play it like that. It feels like the ranger should either have favored enemy Humanoid (human) and Animal or Humanoid (shapechanger) to effectively combat this particular type of menace. I guess it's gonna be up to the DM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q121: When a character gains a particular bonus feat, but they already have that feat, do they get to choose a different one, or is it wasted?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A121 Unless otherwise specified in the description, you don't get to choose a different feat if you already have it. You could ask the DM if he would let you retrain the old one but that's outside the RAW, so...

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q122: Can a Half-Elf choose human or elf traits or are they limited just to half-elf traits?

6. - Top - End - #366

A122: They can select both Human and Elf traits:

Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Q123

Is the x2 cost multiplier for cold iron weapons applied before or after the 300 gp premium for masterwork weapons. (ie: does my MW cold iron daggers cost 304 GP, or 604 GP?)
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-14 at 01:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A104: It's always 300 and 150 gp, regardless of what you are making.
    A123

See A104 above, it's always 300gp

Edit:

To quote the SRD

To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield, see Equipment for the price of other masterwork tools) and a Craft DC of 20.
    The masterwork-part of your weapon does not depend on what you're making, it's just a 300gp ingredient
    Last edited by Haron; 2011-11-14 at 03:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haron View Post
    A123

See A104 above, it's always 300gp

Edit:

To quote the SRD

The masterwork-part of your weapon does not depend on what you're making, it's just a 300gp ingredient
    A 123
    Actually, to quote the SRD;
    Weapons made of cold iron cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts (not counting masterwork costs)
    According to this text, he masterwork component of the weapon is calculated separately, so it would be 304.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Q124 How possible is Barbarian/Rogue to sneak up behind an enemy in full-plate armor then sneak attack them with a Greataxe?
    Last edited by Razanir; 2011-11-14 at 08:42 AM.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

A124: That depends entirely on the barbarians Stealth modifier and his victims Perception modifier. However, there is no rule that prevents him from trying it and if his Stealth roll is higher than the victims Perception roll, he can do a sneak attack.

The Shadow, Improved Shadow, and Greater Shadow armor enchantments can give him a +5, +10, or +15 bonus to his Stealth checks.

If he uses mithral full plate instead of normal masterwork full plate, the armor check penalty to Stealth checks is reduced by 3.

Also, heavy armor only limits the Dexterity modifier that can be added to the characters Armor Class. It does not limit the Dexterity modifier for Skills, so everything that improves the characters Dexterity, like a Cat's Grace spell or gloves of dexterity also improves the Stealth modifier.

Barbarians and rogues are not proficient with Heavy Armor and you take the Armor Check Penalty to all attack rolls and Skills that include movement unless you have learned the Feat Heavy Armor Prodiciency. This is even the case if you have mithral armor.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-11-14 at 08:55 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q125 does an enchantment on a weapon with the blocking quality increase the shield bonus?

Q126 errata says that none of the weapons with the 'monk' descriptor from the newer books give the monk proficiency in these weapons unless descriptions says otherwise but does the unarmed fighter variant gain proficiency with them?

Q127after a quick look it doesn't seem like any of the new weapons state that monks are proficient with them does this mean that the monk hasn't gained any weapon proficiency since release? (this is bordering on a complaint rather than a question feel free to ignore it)
    Last edited by share and enjoy; 2011-11-14 at 09:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

A125: No, the bonus is always +1.

A126: The term "Monk Weapons" is not defined. It could either mean weapons that a monk is proficient with, or weapons that a monk can use with flurry of blows.
    My personal view is that it probably means the weapons that monks are proficient with, but the rules don't clearly say that.

A127: Yes, it probably means just that.

14. - Top - End - #374

R126: "Monk Weapon" actually is defined as any weapon a Monk can use when making a Flurry of Blows attack. Monks are not necessarily proficient with all monk weapons:

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Errata, Monk Weapons
    Q: If a weapon is specified as a monk weapon, does that mean that monks are automatically proficient with that weapon?
    A: No. It means that they can use this weapon while using flurry of blows.
    By raw, the Unarmed Fighter variant does gain proficiency with all of these weapons:

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD, Unarmed Fighter
    An unarmed fighter is proficient with all monk weapons, including exotic monk weapons.
    R127: Yes, this appears to be the case by RAW. However, I would consider it completely reasonable(over-reasonable?) to give the Monk proficiency with all Monk weapons, since that is one of the few things they get over other classes(and Monk weapons are rarely anything special anyway).
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2011-11-14 at 11:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

A124: That depends entirely on the barbarians Stealth modifier and his victims Perception modifier. However, there is no rule that prevents him from trying it and if his Stealth roll is higher than the victims Perception roll, he can do a sneak attack.

No. In pathfinder, by the RAW, Stealth does not make your foe lose his DEX, thus no sneak attack. Well, you can sneak into a flanking posn, and you get flat-footed at the start of a round before your foe Init has gone, but Stealth does not grant sneak attack.

Now, there’s a Paizo Blog where they discuss changing the definition of Stealth, etc to allow this. But they are discussing a RULE CHANGE, not a FAQ. Thus even the blog makes it clear that under the RAW, stealth does not grant Sneak attack. Only Invisibility, ( + flanking or flat-footed. )

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

It's the same limitation that apply to a rogue in leather armor.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Q128:Snatch/Deflect Arrows says it can be used on "ranged" attacks. Does this means it can be used on bullets (Ala FFT Blade Grasp) ?

Q129: How is the damage for throwing a ranged attack back from deflect arrows calculated?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-11-16 at 07:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Q128:Snatch/Deflect Arrows says it can be used on "ranged" attacks. Does this means it can be used on bullets (Ala FFT Blade Grasp) ?

Q129: How is the damage for throwing a ranged attack back from deflect arrows calculated?
    A128
    Yes you can for most types of bullets, it's under "firearms" in the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    Deflecting and Snatching Bullets: The Deflect Arrows feat and the Snatch Arrows feat can be used to deflect bullets, but not pellets shot from a scatter weapon. Neither of these feats can be used to deflect siege firearm attacks.
    A129
    Couldn't find a specific rule for this, but seeing as the feat mentions that you "throw it back", I'd say that you treat the projectile as a thrown weapon.
    @RndmNumGen: Good catch.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-11-17 at 12:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

R129: You can't throw bullets, arrows or bolts back:

Instead of knocking an arrow or ranged attack aside, you can catch it in mid-flight.

Prerequisites: Dex 15, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may choose to catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it. Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back as an attack against the original attacker (even though it isn't your turn) or kept for later use.

You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat.
    You can catch projectile weapons, but you can only throw back things such as javelins, darts, shuriken, etc.
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2011-11-17 at 11:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q130: If someone is struct with a disease (onset: immediate) multiple times in rapid succession, does the onset ability damage/other effects take effect multiple times? (please cite source, I can't find it)

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

A130: I don't see any reason why. You already are afflicted with the disease and you can have a disease only once, it doesn't stack. Catching a disease while already having the disease would mean that the second time nothing happens at all.

22. - Top - End - #382

Daemon

A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison, in the case of multiple exposures, if they happen in the same round. In the case of multiple doses you only roll to save once, and increase the DC of the save by +2 for every exposure.

If a character is bitten three by a critter with and infective bite, the DC to prevent getting sick would be the base DC +4.

I have not got time to look it up atm, but I believe it is under poisons somewhere.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q131: If a weapon effect activates on the threat of a critical, can it still apply to creatures that are immune to critical hits?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison [...]
    What? No they don't, poisons follow completely different rules. Where did you read that? You can't contract a disease more than once, you're either infected or you're not, there are no other effects if you're exposed to it again until you get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    Q131: If a weapon effect activates on the threat of a critical, can it still apply to creatures that are immune to critical hits?
    No, since you don't threaten a critical on any number against a monster immune to crits.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q132 If being reincarnated into a creature that usually has racial hit dice (such as bugbear), you don't gain those, right? In fact if I understand it correctly, it's more like a polymorph spell, you just look the part and your racial modifiers change.

Q133 Are there any official rules for haggling?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A130: I don't see any reason why. You already are afflicted with the disease and you can have a disease only once, it doesn't stack. Catching a disease while already having the disease would mean that the second time nothing happens at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison, in the case of multiple exposures, if they happen in the same round. In the case of multiple doses you only roll to save once, and increase the DC of the save by +2 for every exposure.

If a character is bitten three by a critter with and infective bite, the DC to prevent getting sick would be the base DC +4.

I have not got time to look it up atm, but I believe it is under poisons somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    What? No they don't, poisons follow completely different rules. Where did you read that? You can't contract a disease more than once, you're either infected or you're not, there are no other effects if you're exposed to it again until you get rid of it.

No, since you don't threaten a critical on any number against a monster immune to crits.
    This is a RAW Q&A. Can anyone answer the question asked (Q130) using the RAW?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    This is a RAW Q&A. Can anyone answer the question asked (Q130) using the RAW?
    Well as far as I know, it's not spelled out specifically in the rules (I couldn't find it either and I've looked on several occasions). But as far as I know, you can't contract any particular affliction more than once at the same time, onset is irrelevant. There are exceptions such as poisons which have special provisions written in the description to point out how the effects stack (but you don't take damage multiple times from poisons either).

The way we handle disease is, you have to roll one save for any one particular source. If you make the save, you can can ignore that source from then on but you're still liable to get it from a different source (such as when there's several creatures attacking you), if don't make a save then you're infected and that's basically that, until you're cured, any other sources of the disease have no effect.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Q134: Do crafters half the cost of the material for a weapon, armor, or shield, if they are creating the weapon themselves, instead of simply buying it?

Example: A crafter wants to make an adamantite weapon. The item cost modifier is +3000 gp.

Would the crafter halve the adamantite cost after gp calculations thus meaning +3000 go is the base price, or would buying the weapon instead of crafting cost an extra 6000 gp instead of 3000 gp?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Q135: Eidolons are Outsiders, and the Detect Magic spell can detect outsiders... What is the caster level/spell level used to summon them and therefore determine the strength of the magic?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

30. - Top - End - #390

Daemon

A130 by RAW Okay. I did some scouring of the rules, and this is what I came up with. It appears my recollection was erroneous (Sorry) as the rules regarding poisons do not extend to disease or other afflictions.

In the example given in the original question, when you are exposed to infection you roll to save. If you are so unlucky that you contract the disease, you do not need to try and save against contracting it again, as you already have it. If you have a cold, you have a cold. You cannot logically have it twice at the same time.

Now, in all fairness RAW does not explicitly state whether or not you can contract the same bug more than once at the same time. However, while it might make sense to vary the initial saving throw according to levels of exposure it makes no sense that the disease should be more violent because of this.

So basically Yora is right. In the case of the common cold, once you've caught it your body builds immunity to that specific bug, so you cannot be afflicted by it more than once.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-11-21 at 09:46 PM.