New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Honestly, I've never really gotten the appeal of truly grimdark MLP fics. It just seems to completely contradict the fundamental concept of the Ponyverse as being one where love and friendship will always come out on top in the end.
    Honestly I agree but some fics that are dark are actually pretty good. Also it depends on what your definition of Grimdark is.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Honestly I agree but some fics that are dark are actually pretty good. Also it depends on what your definition of Grimdark is.
    Well, Dark is when there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Grimdark is when that light is red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I have nothing against Dark in MLP fanfiction per say; between Discord, Chrysalis, and what we know of the Season 3 Villian, I'd say there's plenty of dark already in the show's cannon. The key difference I see between Dark and Grimdark is the former keeps to the concept that, no matter how bad things may get, love and friendship will triumph in the end, whereas the latter tends to be much more cynical and depressing, which I feel runs counter to the basic themes of the show.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I would suggest that anytime one's conversation could be accurately described as "blabbering" there's probably a high chance one is annoying somepony else.
    But the trick is that one conversing is often unaware that such a conversation is surpassing the abstract word count border into the territory of blabbering, which is often just an oversight due to enjoying the topic of conversation moreso than the receive is, so one has to take into account if the person they are talking to enjoys the topic chosen or if another topic is indeed necessary to shift into.

Cute comics (...)
    The one with Cadence getting caught making the funny face is my favorite. I may be slightly biased on that opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post

Or an oncoming train.

Alabenson's above definition is the one I use to separate Dark and Grimdark. I'm not a fan of Grimdark myself. Sometimes it gets too close to that "Uncanny Valley" resemblance of certain real life events I've seen.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #65

I have nothing against Dark in MLP fanfiction per say; between Discord, Chrysalis, and what we know of the Season 3 Villian, I'd say there's plenty of dark already in the show's cannon. The key difference I see between Dark and Grimdark is the former keeps to the concept that, no matter how bad things may get, love and friendship will triumph in the end, whereas the latter tends to be much more cynical and depressing, which I feel runs counter to the basic themes of the show.
    Under this criteria, I believe that Fallout: Equestria itself qualifies as Dark, seeing as it is to me a story of hope and recovery for a broken world, whereas Project Horizons just has the broken world.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I just about tolerate Dark - and that's not MLP-specific, that applies to Nanoha, Naruto and Harry Potter fanfic as well - but grimdark is where I draw the line. I've read a few fics that started out fairly bright and dropped into fairly grim territory (The Empty Room I think is the most notable contender), but that managed to hold my interest, and it did have a mostly positive ending.

(Related note, I think EQD grimdark/dark tags are more helpful that FiMs' merely [dark] because there is a gradient.)

I will just about tolerate grimdark if there's humour (or really black humour) as a major component; someone did a Mass Effect entitled the Butcher, in which Shepard was a literal sociopath nutcase. I likened it to a trainwreck - it was horrible (the situation, not the writing!), but you couldn't look away. But that is very much the exception to the rule.

Generally, I'd prefer to be amused by comedy (though I don't mind a bit of Shakespearian tragedy now and again to sharpen the contrast, Chengar Qugarth's Winningverse springs to mind as managing to be consistently hilarious while dealing with some rather seriously messed-up ponies).

There are also those fics where the protagonists are the bad guys, and that is generally okay too, if done well. (One outstanding sorta example from Naruto is Nugar's Lie series, in which Naruto (and Sasuke and Hinata, and most of the other characters they meet and... infect) are really quite a horrible bunch of ruthless individuals (to their enemies, like "real" ninja), but are also freakin' hilarious. (In particular Lie Sasuke is my favourite Sasuke portrail in any medium.)

7. - Top - End - #67

Oh and in honor of National Judgement Day: One more closing political add for the race for best princess

Spoiler
    Show
    Celestia says she is best pony, but do we really know how she's been ruling Equestria?

In the past two years, Equestria has been rocked by disaster. Parasprite swarms, repeated destruction of Ponyville, assaults by dark supernatural forces.

35% of the royal budget goes towards rebuilding the damage caused by HER STUDENT. Another 57% is earmarked for her RAMPANT CAKE LUST.

It's time for a change
    payed for by the committee for Woona is Best Princess.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-11-06 at 04:39 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

In that case I disagree that Fallout Equestria or even Fallout in general is grimdark. In general yes the world sucks and awful things happen that make you doubt the possibility of a light at the tunnel. But in Fallout (Equestria or otherwise) the world begins to show signs of improvement as evils are ended, wrongs are righted and hope begins to shine. If it was truly grimdark then the most that could be accomplished is a temporary respite.

True Grimdark usually involves unbeatable forces that will eventually consume everything you hold dear no matter what you do. Lovecraft and Warhammer 40k spring to mind when I think of Grimdark.

Edit: Pikied' by Balmas
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-11-06 at 04:44 PM.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Under this criteria, I believe that Fallout: Equestria itself qualifies as Dark, seeing as it is to me a story of hope and recovery for a broken world, whereas Project Horizons just has the broken world.
    I think I am wonder why they chose Fallout as crossover, the world maybe broken but it can be repaired and will become better than the previous world.
    - Before Nuclear War, world is totalitarian, overpopulated, and Retro Technology cost more materials than the one we use today.
    - After Nuclear War, the world is actually much more better thanks to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vault Dweller and the Chosen One.

Still Fallout Equestria might be darker than Fallout (More graphic description of wound and really show how it horribly the world is).
    Spoiler
    Show
    But Lil' Pip saved the world.

Here's more Grimdark
    - Dark Sun
    - Warhammer 40k
    - Drowtales (well, it depends on whether you pick Tek'liath or not)
    - Shadowrun
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Is this the explanation I get of who those ponies are? Heh. I was thinking more single line description plus existing picture, maybe a seperate line for what the hell the guild of chains is. Still, I recall stumbling across these hijinks whilst trying to figure out what/who/etc Midnight was.
    Oh yeah, no, that's as totally intentionally planned on my part and not serendipity brought about by cleaning out my notebox. Psh. As if we would even suggest I'm not some kind of mastermind. Puh-lease.

>_>;

Midnight is the Haremizer Bazooka, right? Who was it weilding the bazooka?
    Talespinner;
    Spoiler
    Show

This is Talespinner right? Red/Black stripey mane, dark orange/red coat? Bit hamtastically nefarious?

Faithful Song?
    Spoiler
    Show

Is this about right? A one line summation would be useful.

Also, vaguely urban, manehattenish noiry setting?
    "about" he says, after diving for relevant info.

Yes, those are the ones. Although I think TaleSpinner goes more for in distinct Asian/Persian heritage, and less squinty evil.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    LOL

way to take the silly option and ramp it right up to batbleep crazy 8)
    It's less crazy than you'd think, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I fixed it.
    Sigh. XD

Dark is hard to describe except by allusion. Dark humor, dark twists. The otherwise hopeful and positive story of Big Mac being eaten by the apple clan after an accident so he would always be with them, a part of the family forever, that was dark.

Grim is gritty. Noir is usually grim, because things don't get better without effort. Fallout is grim, because life sucks and people's re content to be better than the next guy, but you can fix it. It's uphill, but the struggle matters.

Grimdark is both, plus more than the sum of its parts. It is dark for the sake of being dark. Grim without redemption. In Grimdark the struggle actually doesn't matter, not narratively. It is cruelty for amusement. Any redemption or salvation on ye part of the characters runs counter to the setting, and is usually squashed when an author realizes it is there.

Fallout equestria is more grim with some dark, do you could say it is grim and dark, but not Grimdark. WH:40k is Grimdark because things don't get better, there is very little net positive, the closest to good you get is a murderer with an agenda instead of without one, and the best a hero could achieve is not to make the weld better but to possibly keep his small corner from getting worse.

Grimdark games are for when I want to make my DM cry. But they aren't fun. I'd rather play a game of joy and hope and regain all my willpower, rather than dominate a rube and only get the one point.

RAMPANT CAKE LUST
    yes

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That's not true. Ino totally lost a fight to Sakura early on during Chuunin exams! She even got to monologue and everything.
    Oh! my mistake.
    They never did anything except lose in unimportant fights to other (often minor) characters.
    ...and IIRC, they BOTH lost that fight. Even when Sakura got a CMoA, she lost.

Re: thread image.

My ballot only has "Trixie" and "The Great and Powerful Trixie"
    I rigged it!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Please note that "first page" and "new thread" shoutouts are Minor Spam. Posts of that nature will be issued Warnings and deleted accordingly. It doesn't matter what else you put in the post. Making mention of "new thread smell" or "first page!" or how cool it is to be on the first page, will result in a Warning (or Infraction) and a deleted post.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Oh! my mistake.
    They never did anything except lose in unimportant fights to other (often minor) characters.
    ...and IIRC, they BOTH lost that fight. Even when Sakura got a CMoA, she lost.
    Ehh, I tend to ignore pre-time skip Sakura. Otherwise, I just make myself get headaches from the amount of times I bang my head on the wall.

Oh and in honor of National Judgement Day: One more closing political add for the race for best princess

Spoiler
    Show
    Celestia says she is best pony, but do we really know how she's been ruling Equestria?

In the past two years, Equestria has been rocked by disaster. Parasprite swarms, repeated destruction of Ponyville, assaults by dark supernatural forces.

35% of the royal budget goes towards rebuilding the damage caused by HER STUDENT. Another 57% is earmarked for her RAMPANT CAKE LUST.

It's time for a change
    Spoiler
    Show
    Woona claims that she can fix the problems Celestia has made.

But can she?

Woona has supported her relative on all points of forign relations, in that there are none. None of Woona's plans have addressed the currant issues of he day, in that they consist of a crayon drawing saying "Cuddlepiles and Huggies". Who can lead Equestria in this dark time, with threats such as the Griffons or Boffenspark lurking in the shadows? Who can be brave enough to make sure that threats like the Everfree Forest are tamed?

Silent Night is the answer.

With over fifty years of experiance in maintaining a non-prophet organization dedicated to helping the unloved, the unprotected, and the unliving, Silent Night is prepared to use his home-grown roots and values to protect Equestria from falling to those who would with to see it distroyed. With a long history of positive relations with other countries and a history of successful ventures in the private sector, who would you prefer to take control over the Equestrian goverment?
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-06 at 06:59 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last edited by Topaz; 2012-11-19 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Updated Savage Worlds link
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Right I define GrimDark as well situations like 40K. Things are overblown messes where the heroes are just as bad as the villains and even when times were good you were liable to be killed horribly. Or the heroes never really had a chance in the first place, no matter how powerful or capable they may seem. So Project Horizons is pretty much GrimDark.

Dark is a bad situation. Perhaps even a horrible situation. But heroes exist. The chance for things to get better exist, even if this hero ends up failing. Perhaps no one wants anything to change but basically even can be triumphed over and things can get better, even if they are likely to get worse instead. Fallout Equestria and even Silent Ponyville fall in this.

Spoiler
    Show

It's time for a change
    Pony Elections
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ponies of Equestria need to see past the stagnant two pony system that has ruled since this great nation's founding. Ponies need a caring ruler, a loving ruler, who is both modern and humble.

Princess Cadance is willing to get down and dirty in fixing this country's economy and from her humble beginnings as a mere foalsitter is well aware of issues that plague all classes of society not like Celestia and Luna who've never missed a meal in their lives. Cadance has also served in the military when fending off the Changling Invasion.

In 2012 give the Love Party a chance to shine.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Ehh, I tend to ignore pre-time skip Sakura. Otherwise, I just make get headaches from the amount of times I bang my head on the wall.
    And therein lies the problem :P
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Another funny Derpy Comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Two-Face

It fits the punny nature of pony names, and means more when you consider "experiments" that the Simic are known for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Sivnica Bountbreaker o.o (I have no idea what I am talking about)
    Thank you for your input. ^^

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Sometimes I wish the fandom wasn't so fixated on Fallout: Equestria. It's not the end all, be all fanfic. I feel sad that fics like Dangerous Business and Tales get swept under the carpet so quickly.

Project Horizons is just beating a dead horse at this point.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Sometimes I wish the fandom wasn't so fixated on Fallout: Equestria. It's not the end all, be all fanfic. I feel sad that fics like Dangerous Business and Tales get swept under the carpet so quickly.

Project Horizons is just beating a dead horse at this point.
    I didn't like Dangerous Business that much really. I'm not sure what you mean by Tales.

Lost and Found is another really good one and I did like some Conversion Bareu stories.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #81

It's a Dangerous Business is one of the best Slice of Life adventure fics in the fandom. It's just lesser known.

What is this Tales you speak of?

YES. I now have the best looking wallpaper ever.

Be warned, desktop shots are usually large images.
    Spoiler
    Show

Note the pony bin icons and recycling bin. This change pleases me.

Seriously, abso-friggin-lutely amazing. Default background from now on.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

22. - Top - End - #82

I didn't like Dangerous Business that much really. I'm not sure what you mean by Tales.

Lost and Found is another really good one and I did like some Conversion Bareu stories.
    I never liked the Conversion series, it just...did not click for me. I understand why some would enjoy it, but I did not.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Wait a minute. I just realised that I'm more than part way through what amounts to not one request, but two to three disguised as one, and only one of the three ponies I've even met.

I am a sucker, apparently.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. And given that the request wasn't explained that thoroughly, the catch is that the concept has mutated from cross contamination and unfamiliarity. Guess thems the breaks, Siuis.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a Dangerous Business is one of the best Slice of Life adventure fics in the fandom. It's just lesser known.

What is this Tales you speak of?
    Well, give it a read. You won't regret it. (It is based on S1 canon, so any discrepancy with S2 is forgivable. I think it makes the story stand out all the more.)

Tales

Some other misc fanfics which I feel didn't get the attention it deserves: (it's a long list. In no particular order, here's a few.)
    Heart of Gold, Feathers of Steel
    Beyond the Wall
    The Glass Blower
    Pipsqueak Valiant's Adventure
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-06 at 08:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    One Muffin with the strength of 1000 apples... sounds like a delicious superhero.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's time for a change
    Spoiler
    Show
    And when the Changling invasion began, our Princess Celestia was right there on the front lines fighting back!

paid for by the committee of "Hey, guess which woobie missed the whole thing?" committee.
    [/QUOTE][/SPOILER]

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, Apples really can undergo stellar fusion.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Crazy Pony Genetics Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crystal Ponies
    A. Mutated Earth Ponies
    B. Subtypes of Ponies
    C. Product of extensive mixed marriages between Earth Ponies and Unicorn after founding of Equestria (ALA Elderscrolls Bretons, looks human but have magical affinity).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #88

To brace ourselves for next sunday.

Spoiler
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

so moonstuck apparently ended. what am i going to fill my time with now? >.>
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Well, give it a read. You won't regret it. (It is based on S1 canon, so any discrepancy with S2 is forgivable. I think it makes the story stand out all the more.)

Tales

Some other misc fanfics which I feel didn't get the attention it deserves: (it's a long list. In no particular order, here's a few.)
    Heart of Gold, Feathers of Steel
    Beyond the Wall
    The Glass Blower
    Pipsqueak Valiant's Adventure
    Well I gave it a chance. It was alright. I really disliked how Celestia was portrayed. Overall though I can see why it's mostly been forgotten. It's short and memoir style doesn't make for a dynamic read if you know what I mean. It's like reading, well memoirs. There isn't much tension to be had.

I'll give some of those a try as well, though if I remember correctly Heart of Gold, Feathers of Steel is actually pretty popular as is.

Anyways I think Fallout Equestria became so famous and popular is because it lends itself well to write your own fic in the same universe. Also it is really well written and exciting to read while managing an amazing blend of dark, hope, tragedy, and atmosphere.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show