New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Does Rich Burlew read TvTropes?

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Devising a plan where you benefit even if the plan fails? I'm fairly certain that's older than media. The very first people with any intelligence must have been doing that even before the first caveman started painting on cave walls. Such plans were probably in existence before the invention of language.
    I do know this, as i mentioned.
    My question is: does the practice to call this kind of plan in fiction "Xanatos Gambit" comes from TvTropes or had already been used before.
    Between the first season of Gargoyles in 94 and the beginning of TvTrope in 2003, how was this kind of plan called?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I do know this, as i mentioned.
    My question is: does the practice to call this kind of plan in fiction "Xanatos Gambit" comes from TvTropes or had already been used before.
    Between the first season of Gargoyles in 94 and the beginning of TvTrope in 2003, how was this kind of plan called?
    I have no idea. TvTropes doesn't really enlighten, all it mentions is that it was named after David Xanatos from Gargoyles (a pretty good cartoon I haven't seen in a long time). Google returns 33,000 results for the term, compared to 30,400 for lampshade hanging or 136,000 for hang a lampshade (although these results seem to be mostly about hanging actual lampshades rather than a figure of speech) and a mere 7,990 for Cerebus Syndrome. I'm going to hazard a guess that TvTropes did not invent the term.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably by a whole variety of names, even if it's just something as mundane as a "win/win situation". I don't really understand this apparent need to give storytelling techniques individual buzzword names. Being able to convey an idea is far more important than knowing the "proper" name for it.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-02-25 at 01:28 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Isn't D&D enough, then? That line of thinking can get a little weird...

Hey kids! Do YOU use the same deodorant as The Giant?
    ... You do realize there are millions of people who wear a certain brand of shoes because their favorite sports star does, or uses a particular shampoo because their favorite actress does, or wears a particular piece of clothing because some hot model does? Yes it can seem kinda creepy and weird, and The Giant isn't really that famous, but seriously I wasn't talking about anything that extreme. People like to know that other people are into their hobbies. It's nice to know that you're not the only one who managed to waste hours of your life editing TvTropes. For a lot of people, for whatever reason, it's even better to know that someone famous and powerful or someone you look up to shares their interest. That's a bit different from wanting to know what deodorant The Giant happens to use.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, if it turns out Rich is perfectly well enough to use a computer but he's spending his time reading TVTropes instead of making OotS, there's surely gonna be a backlash...
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Man, if it turns out Rich is perfectly well enough to use a computer but he's spending his time reading TVTropes instead of making OotS, there's surely gonna be a backlash...
    Lol. Seriously though, making those comics isn't as easy as it looks. I have no idea what's up with The Giant beyond the rumors that he's ill, but browsing websites is much easier than editing full color comics. He could very well have one of those setups where the computer plugs into his Tv and he has like a remote thingiy to navigate the web more easily from the comfort of his couch.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I believe it does. TVTropes is a huge meme factory.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Xanatos Gambit is one of a very few original phrases from TV Tropes. Another part of why the idea that the Giant reads TV Tropes is so unconvincing: everything he's referenced is a reference to something else that's well known. If he was going to reference TV Tropes he would say "Crowning Moment of Awesome" or "What Do You Mean It's Not Symbolic".
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I think Xanatos Gambit is one of a very few original phrases from TV Tropes. Another part of why the idea that the Giant reads TV Tropes is so unconvincing: everything he's referenced is a reference to something else that's well known. If he was going to reference TV Tropes he would say "Crowning Moment of Awesome" or "What Do You Mean It's Not Symbolic".
    Here is the OP:
    Does anyone know if he does? Because it seems he's taken every fantasy "trope" and either parodied it or "lampshaded" it. OOTS also seems to be the Wiki's favourite thing since Mystery Science Theatre.
    The question is whether he reads TvTropes. He's obviously never referenced TvTropes directly. I'm under the impression The Giant is not fond of those sorts of references, so the fact that he does not make them means nothing.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2010-02-25 at 06:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I read the OP. But I also read the posts in between this and it, and it's clear there are many people to whom it is not obvious; it is to them I respond.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    If he was going to reference TV Tropes he would say "Crowning Moment of Awesome" or "What Do You Mean It's Not Symbolic".
    Maybe some of the strip titles would fit?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe some of the strip titles would fit?
    If they do, then none of the "Tropers" here have put any forward. The closest I've seen is "Because Good Is Dumb", which as mentioned earlier is a direct quote from Spaceballs.

What wasn't mentioned earlier was the word "Because" in that quote, which I don't recall seeing whenever someone here mentioned it in relation to TVTropes. I may be wrong on that point, but if TVTropes called it "Good Is Dumb" and not "Because Good Is Dumb" then that's the final nail in the coffin of the argument that the title in question is a reference to anything other than Spaceballs.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

If they do, then none of the "Tropers" here have put any forward. The closest I've seen is "Because Good Is Dumb", which as mentioned earlier is a direct quote from Spaceballs.

What wasn't mentioned earlier was the word "Because" in that quote, which I don't recall seeing whenever someone here mentioned it in relation to TVTropes. I may be wrong on that point, but if TVTropes called it "Good Is Dumb" and not "Because Good Is Dumb" then that's the final nail in the coffin of the argument that the title in question is a reference to anything other than Spaceballs.
    I have to agree that none of the titles appear to be from TvTropes, although I didn't check all 704.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

A wizard did it may be a reference to the trope. Or to Xena's guest appearance on The Simpsons (hey, I remembered it, why shouldn't Rich?)
    The most disturbing thing about it: If it is a reference to TVTropes, it's a trope-pun.

Of course the strip in question is about so much more than just that.
    Last edited by Zea mays; 2010-02-26 at 08:44 AM.

All numbers are grammatically correct

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    A wizard did it may be a reference to the trope. Or to Xena's guest appearance on The Simpsons (hey, I remembered it, why shouldn't Rich?)
    The most disturbing thing about it: If it is a reference to TVTropes, it's a trope-pun.

Of course the strip in question is about so much more than just that.
    That's a common one though, it could be a reference to the Simpson's episode, but it could also be a reference to Sarda from 8-Bit Theatre, another popular Webcomic. I'm still leaning towards "he must have visited TvTropes at least once or twice", but I claim no knowledge.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

That's a common one though, it could be a reference to the Simpson's episode, but it could also be a reference to Sarda from 8-Bit Theatre, another popular Webcomic. I'm still leaning towards "he must have visited TvTropes at least once or twice", but I claim no knowledge.
    IIRC, Brian lifted that joke from the Simpsons' episode in question. To quote South Park, "Simpsons Did It."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I don't normally like to read or respond to threads, but this one is something that I can definitively answer in one post, so why not?

Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website.

No, I do not read it regularly. Most of the few times that I have ever visited the site came as a result of someone linking a trope that they feel I have used in the comic, and I followed the link so that I may understand what their criticism/point is.

No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas, as has been claimed, and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

As far as some of the specific points being argued in this thread:

1.) I've taken film and literature classes; I knew what a trope was before 2003. I acknowledge that the word has become much more commonplace since then, possibly as a result of the site, and that I may have felt more comfortable having Elan use the word in relation to story structure as a result of seeing it bandied about the internet.

2.) The term "Cerebrus Syndrome" was coined by Eric Burns of Websnark, who has published several reviews of OOTS strips over the years and of whose blog I was an avid reader in the days before it dried up and blew away. You will note that I contributed art to the man's wedding proposal several years ago. If TV Tropes is using that phrase, it's because Eric invented it.

3.) "Lampshade hanging" is one of several terms that mean the same thing; the Turkey City Lexicon (which I have read) uses the term "Signals from Fred". I could have had the hobgoblin lean in with a telephone and say that Fred was on the line, which was my first instinct, but if I had, I don't think anyone would have understood it. At any rate, I'm pretty sure I heard the term elsewhere, but I can acknowledge that I may have read it in the work of someone who was, themselves, referencing TV Tropes (such as another webcomic artist). So I can give you that this one may be indirectly caused by the site.

4.) I love the Gargoyles cartoon, but to my knowledge I've never made any reference to Xanatos.

5.) "Good is Dumb" is from Spaceballs. Geez.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Glad to have that officially sorted. I'm a little more surprised than I probably should be that the Giant knows this site exists. Happy, though.

Since he apparently read this whole thread, maybe I should have taken the time to shamelessly self-promote this declaration of the troper hivemind. Ah, well.
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-03-04 at 05:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I don't think I have ever been happier to see the Giant's answer on a topic.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    Or to Xena's guest appearance on The Simpsons (hey, I remembered it, why shouldn't Rich?)
    That wasn't Xena, that was Lucy Lawless.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

That's a common one though, it could be a reference to the Simpson's episode, but it could also be a reference to Sarda from 8-Bit Theatre, another popular Webcomic.
    We know for a fact that Rich read 8-Bit Theater, because Rich did a guest comic for 8BT once.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I don't think I have ever been happier to see the Giant's answer on a topic.
    I'm glad he posted, too.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a feeling I'll be quoting it at some point in the not-so-distant future.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-03-04 at 08:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

The OP's question has been answered. Can we send this thread back to the oblivion where it deserves to be?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess we have an answer. He knows of TvTropes, but does not read it regularly and does not take ideas from it, which was pretty much what I thought. I guess this thread is over.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2010-03-04 at 10:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

BlackDragon

Even with Word of God giving the answer, I doubt this question is dead in the water...somebody will come up with it again.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Even with Word of God giving the answer, I doubt this question is dead in the water...somebody will come up with it again.
    which is why we'll use this thread to quote his answer. Sound good?

but yeah, with word of God this thread is over.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad to see Giant's answer to the question as well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

And now it's turning into a "Me-Too" thread...

Oh Mods of our fathers - close this thread. We beseech ye!

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    And now it's turning into a "Me-Too" thread...

Oh Mods of our fathers - close this thread. We beseech ye!
    I agree with this guy. I'm glad we got an answer, but do we really need to hear everyone gloat about how they were right? The thread no longer serves a purpose.