New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXX

Gnoll Cave

Marty turns to Drift and opens his mouth as if to thank him and then falls silent. The half-elf's breathing was labored. He could barely breathe much less talk anymore. His blood flows out of his chest and onto the blanket. The half-elf coughs once or twice but makes no other sound. He couldn't think much. He wondered if he'd ever escape. Or maybe he would just sit here for eternity. He tries to remember...something. He had recently used it! A ruler...no. A rover....No, that made no sense. A Ringo...definitely not. A bingo? No...What did he have?! It started with "R"...what wsa it? It could get him out! Just....need....to....think. But it was so hard! He could barley breathe. He couldn't even feel the blanket! Grendar's whip delivered a devastating blow indeed.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Above the Sea

The Captain gives Eadin a bit of a wry smile before looking back at his crew. "Unfurl the light-sails! We have ourselves a wind to ride!" He shouts. As soon as the order begins, the deckhands begin rushing about. Eadin will feel a shudder as the ship's engines lower down to minimal levels, but the ship's sails suddenly spring to life. Instead of normal cloth, they appear as golden fields of energy caught between the masts. With a lurch, they catch the wind and currents, pulling the ship along above the sea.

The Captain gives Eadin a deep bow. "If you'll excuse me, I have a few matters I need to attend to. At this rate, we'll be there in a couple hours." He informs her before heading to the chart-room.

On his way there, and out of Eadin's sight, he frowns and reaches up to touch the tattoo over his heart. Fortuna was a cruel mistress, and even though she granted him favor with Eadin's presence, he knew that she'd curse him with bad luck soon. It was how she worked.

And he wouldn't have it any other way.

About a half hour later, if Eadin is looking over the side of the ship, she'll spot a rather large and dark form deep within the sea, quickly catching up towards them with a hostile intent.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Above the Sea

The ship sure impresses Eadin. It's nice to be at sea again like this, like at home..
    She sighs, home is here now.

She nods her head to him. "Alright, Captain. I will see you later." And she turns back to the sea.

Being a goddess herself, Eadin will know well enough each god has his cruel streak. He may get some bad luck from the Goddess of Luck, but he also has the protection of the daughter of the Sea God, and a goddess herself. And that's a valuable thing to have at sea. Maybe as important as luck.

And then there's the thing coming toward them.
    At first, she'd suspect it to be the Kraken, father's pet.
    But he would never approach her like this, and he dissapeared along with...
    No, this thing is hostile.
    "Captain! I think we're under attack." Eadin will try to use her power to slow the creature down, pushing a flow of water from under the creature to push it above the water. Get a better look.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drychalk- The Storm

"It's smart people talk fer, hhsh, the mechanical whatsits a' necromancy, sweetcheeks." The necromancer explains, wiping the visor of his suit to clear away the fast-accumulating soot from the storm. "But seein' as ya don't even know what the damn name means, I'm gonna, hhh, go ahead an' put this in layman's terms. Some damn ghost broke the Veil 'tween here and here-after an' now everythings ****-up with nothin' keeping the dead out an' the living in. That, shh, simple 'nough?" Man, unwarranted self-importance, patronizing tone and sleazy nicknames all in one explanation. This guy is going for a record on being a massive arse ain't he?

Gnoll Encampment

The other gnoll stepping forward with an arrow notched nearly makes Kale's heart miss a beat, a reminder of how easily this could all go wrong. He hadn't even considered that Korlak might be able to defer the fight to one of the lesser gnolls... Although that might have something to do with Kale not knowing what 'defer' means in the first place.

But no, in the space of that missed heartbeat Korlak waves the other gnoll aside and accepts, forestalling disaster for a few seconds more... Or at least trading one crisis for another, one that Kale can handle, one he has a fighting chance against. That is, if you can even call fighting a bigger and more skilled opponent "a fighting chance".

Taking a deep breath and making a silent prayer to the elders, Kale charges, drawing back his pick for an overhead strike and at the same time using his arm to guard his face, well aware that the greater reach of the gnoll's whip would mean suffering at least one attack in order to reach his target.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-05-20 at 04:48 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Nexus] Outside XXX

[Gnoll Battlefield]

AM4 is fortunately able to decipher the intended meaning of nods. Turning to face Kremiir again, raising a hand just as the lightning hits and forces the robot a step back.

However, the electricity itself seems only beneficial to AM4 as it runs through the bronze plates and wheels to the machine's crystalline heart of Ethereal Mineral.

"Order accep-pted"

The machinaton says as another beam of energy springs from its palm. This time with enough power to send a strong human in seizures and into unconsciousness, if not into a temporary coma.

Kremiir is not a human, however, and the Ethereal energy is largely magical in nature. A wizard could easily be protected against the bulk of the force, if not the electrical part as well.

(Sorry if I write confusingly. ^_^' The beam is roughly 70% magic and 30% electricity. If Kremiir is protected against magic, it is probably not too powerful. If not, then feel free to have it miss. )
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    Up In the Air

Well, hes holding onto her tighter than strictly necessary. He smiles. They are. Warm and soft too. He then frowns. He doesn't like humans? Why? Kestrel...you're not imperfect...you're a beautiful creature.
    She laughs a little, "thank-you, but you misunderstood. I merely meant that I'm not much of a dragon at all."

They begin to spiral down to a large grassy hillock. "We have cause to not like humans. They tend to-" She pauses as they touch down gently, and she releases him, hoping her tight grip around his waist hadn't left any bruises on his soft skin. "-attack dragons on sight, on my world."

As she folds away her wings, she walks past him and they brush gently against him, smooth and soft. Was the purposefully done?

An overhang in the hill sits before them. It doesn't look like much from the angle they're at. And actually, it isn't very much at all... but a small portal stretched over the mouth, which leads to an extensive series of caves.
    Last edited by orb_of_blood; 2012-05-01 at 01:38 PM.
    Thank-you Ceika so much for my awesome avatar!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Grassland]

Grantz lies down on a bed of grass as his summoned Pyro Jacks keeps watch.

"Is this new land truly barren? I've not met anyone in the days I woke in this new world. Well at least I'm not alone. Hua Po!

From his forehead an ember rose and a Hua Po appeared. He made some Idle talk with his demon companions. Hopefully he'll meet other beings soon.
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orb_of_blood View Post
    She laughs a little, "thank-you, but you misunderstood. I merely meant that I'm not much of a dragon at all."

They begin to spiral down to a large grassy hillock. "We have cause to not like humans. They tend to-" She pauses as they touch down gently, and she releases him, hoping her tight grip around his waist hadn't left any bruises on his soft skin. "-attack dragons on sight, on my world."

As she folds away her wings, she walks past him and they brush gently against him, smooth and soft. Was the purposefully done?

An overhang in the hill sits before them. It doesn't look like much from the angle they're at. And actually, it isn't very much at all... but a small portal stretched over the mouth to an extensive series of caves.
    Pyrus is not bruised. Oh...Well. Like you said, you're not much of a dragon. I don't understand why anyone would not like dragons...on my world they were awfully eccentric. Then they went extinct. The once mighty dragon's children are nothing more than fat lizards on my world now. He looks over at the hill. Is that the way?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

[Rolling hills => Lairan dragon caverns]

She bristles a little at his comparison of lizards and dragons, almost comments, but wisely manages to swallow her pride for the moment and let the analogy pass. Now is really not the time.

"Yes, that's it." She leads the way into the portal, emerging into a small cave mouth. There are seven small passageways leading off deeper underground, big enough for humanoids to walk comfortably through. Each glows a different color. Pink, green, blue, silver - and some small flashes of electricity from this one, gold and entirely illuminated, black - completely darkened, and ordinary. Then there's the large tunnel, straight across from the entryway. This one emits a red glare, and insane temperatures.

While most look empty, there are three creatures present and can be heard. Quiet giggles and the sound of splashing water from the blue cave, rustlings from the plain, and the sound of something very, very large moving in the large tunnel. It's this one that Kestrel heads towards.

"If the heat is too much you can stay and I'll bring him here." She offers (assuming he followed her in), lowering her voice to try and keep her siblings from hearing. It's echoey however, and the giggles and rustles stop very, very suddenly.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon Caverns

Pyrus frowns a bit. No...I'm pretty much used to high temperatures. I have to excavate in deserts often after all. Um... What was that giggling? The young man then lets out a sneeze! Achoo! Gah...sorry...must be allergies. He almost drops his glasses but catches them.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-01 at 02:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon caverns]

"No-one was giggling." She tells him, more sharply than intended. But a confrontation with Misha was nothing to desire, especially when you're a human.

A movement to the side, ever so slight. She twirls, dropping a hand to the glittering blade at her hip, and snarls at the darkness. Too fast to be seen, a small brown blur whips back down the plain tunnel and vanishes.

The growl doesn't fade. Kestrel's uneasy here, worried about Pyrus' safety. She hadn't felt the presence of her sisters...

"Good, glad you don't mind the heat. Follow me." She turns and walks briskly into the heat and glare.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon Caves

Pyrus follows Kestrel closely. He's slightly afraid. He swore he heard giggling! He reaches for her hand. Are you sure? I'm sure I heard a giggle...Coming from over there. You sure?
    He looks a little nervous.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lairan dragon caverns]

Kestrel takes his hand, and pulls Pyrus into the tunnel after her.

For a moment the heat is near overwhelming. Kestrel feels it too, and soon her hair is matted, and her skin shines. "Draaxar?"

The tunnel opens into a huge cave. The rocks glow red where he's scorched them with his breath. Despite the size of the cave, there's little room for him to pace. Yet he does so as well as he can, his claws striking sparks when he slams them down, and he turns every few small steps, leaving coils of his insanely long, fire-red tail behind him.

He spots her. "Well?" He snaps.

"Uh..." Ever since her little sister had been stolen away, she was never sure what to say to him. "Reporting in? I wanted to introduce you to-"

"Yes, yes, another of your pets." He truly couldn't be less interested in either of them, resuming his pacing again.

Kestrel is left speechless, wondering what to say.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Draxxar's Cave

Pyrus speaks out. I'm not a pet...Er...Hello? I'm Pyrus Mr. Dragon thing...uh...wow...you're big.
    Pyrus ogles the might dragons size for a minute. Nice to meet you?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lairan dragon caves]

"Not a pet?" He ignores Pyrus completely and looks to Kestrel, who's still struggling to find words. "The child denies it. Or perhaps you brought it as a gift, then? A new guest to ease my troubles?"

His tail creeps towards Pyrus.

He means to kill him! She realizes with horror. "No!" She steps in between the thick red thing and her human. Her human. "He is a pet. 'My' pet." It's the only thing she can think of to say that will spare him a rather cruel fate. If he's a pet, he's safe.

Draaxar withdraws and laughs. It's a cruel laugh, deep and menacing, accompanied by a flash of huge white teeth. "I wonder, will the human deny it now? Would he meekly submit, or does he have something to say?" He's addressing Pyrus directly, challenging him.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Draxxar's Cave

Pyrus frowns. He was no pet! Though...what else could he call himself. He was a slave. By his own will though. Was he a slave? As much as he didn't want to submit to Draxxar, he didn't want to be eaten either . He looks down shamefully. I...I am hers...She owns me. I am her possession. not yours. Hers. He scoots closer to Kestrel. She was his shield it seems. Now he just wanted to leave, to run to Kestrel's arms and hide.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-02 at 02:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lairan dragon caves]

Draaxar scoffs at the reply, and resumes his pacing. "Weak."

Kestrel hesitates a moment. It may not be the best idea here, but he was scared. Anyone could see that much. If Draaxar questions me, I needn't answer. He isn't my father. She slips a claw into his hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze, pulling him closer and (if he allows) even curls into his arms, a type of embrace.

"Don't be afraid." She whispers, her lips next to his ear. "He won't hurt you, not while I'm here. Trust me, please."

The red dragon snarls. "You admit to being her pet. So what does that mean? That you are given free range of my caverns? That you mingle with my apprentices? That you sleep in my niece's arms?" He really doesn't sound too pleased with any of that.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Draxxar's Cave

Pyrus accepts her embrace gratefully. He whimpers softly at Kestrel. Kestrel...I want to go...please... Pyrus was afraid. At first he was somewhat interested in the dragon. Now he was just afraid of the mean and cruel dragon. He doesn't turn to Draxxar, but speaks softly. I'm not weak! It's up to her what I do. I'm hers. She owns me...
    He lets Kestrel hold him. He needed the contact. Pyrus had grown up in an isolated area. Not too many people there. He always thought it was like living in a box...living in the middle of the desert had its pros and cons. Mostly cons though. He liked Kestrel. She was the first female he knew other than his sister. He liked how she touched him and held him softly. Kestrel? He whispers. Please...I don't want to be here...not anymore....d-don't. Please...I'm scared...
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-03 at 08:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Thessaloniki- APC

Narahar starts muttering in Abyssal. This time, however, his individual magical effect does not trigger, so this isn't a spell. Anybody who knows the language of the demons will hear Narahar asking Dalachrech to accept his soul, smite his killers and plague their nights with fleas and bedbugs. Petty, yes, but Dalachrech can be petty.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lairan dragon caverns]

Draaxar is somewhat appeased by the answer. At least he won't be causing too much trouble then. His keen dragon ears had not failed to pick up the humans whispers to his niece. He was frightened, then?

Good. He was less troublesome when frightened. And if he could scare the small human even more, all the better. “Kestrel, I would talk to the human alone. Wait in your cavern.”

She snarls and clutches him a little tighter. “No. I'm not leaving him with you.”

“I will not hurt him. However, if it seems as though he's making my apprentice insolent, well, then he's a threat, isn't he?”

Kestrel doesn't move, remaining completely silent with her arms still around her human.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Lairan Dragon Caves

Pyrus whimpers. He did not want to be alone with this dragon. But he didn't want Kestrel to get in trouble for him either. Kestrel...I can talk to him for a minute...Then I'll come back. Ok?He doesn't leave her embrace though.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

[Gnoll battlefield]

Kale:

Kale may believe Kordak has more skill, but if so, he's entirely wrong. He's leader of the pack purely by intelligence and age. As the eldest and smartest of his siblings, he finds it incredibly easy to manipulate them to keep the rest of the pack in check. He has never truly had to fight anyone, and the whip at his side is a weapon of cowardice due to its long reach and speed.

Which is why the elf's charge frightens him so. That, and the sudden horrendously loud explosion of noise as the gnolls begin to whoop and chatter in their guttural language.

He's coiled, and he'd been prepared to pounce and meet Kale with fangs and claws. But before the miner has even covered half the distance between them, he finds himself flying to the side in a sudden, badly misjudged leap, slamming into the ground, and rolling a ways. He stands quickly, ignoring a jab of pain up his forepaws. Muddy snow has matted into his striped fur, and falls from him in clumps as he hurriedly resumes the previous defensive stance.

This time, this time I'll meet him. He's an elf. An elf. Like... like Sleet. His eyes flick momentarily to the bound, white-clad woman, and the thought only makes him more uneasy. Truly, elves must have an inborn knack for causing hyenids trouble. His paw finds the golden handle of the gleaming black whip at his side.

--------
    AM4:

Kremiir casts his eyes upwards and thanks Andaress when the energy wave hits. It's already been stated, although not in this section so it's worth repeating, that the first spells the gnoll-mage uttered were protective. The magical section of the wave does very little other than break over his wards.

However, said wards have already withstood several attacks and been partly eaten away. Some of the energy cuts through and the mage finds himself knocked to the ground, a vaguely circular patch of fur on his left side blackened and burnt from the electrical jolt. “Grrr! Roww-riff!” He howls in gnollish as pain jolts through his side, a curse certainly not fit to translate to common while on PG forums.

The fall and mini-fit probably gives AM4 time for another action before true retaliation.

-------
    Marty:

“Shut up!” Hisses Drift as Marty tries to speak. “You want to draw their attention?”

Yeah, like that's a possibility. All eyes are locked on the fight before them. In fact, if Drift wasn't so worried about Sleet, and now Marty as well, he'd probably try to steal away. As it was however, he can't do much for the half-elf. Except... wait a minute! They're sitting next to a cleric!

He turns to Sleet instead and discreetly saws through her bonds. “Do you have any healing spells left?”

No, she can't. Otherwise she would have healed herself by now. And yet... she hesitates than nods once, slowly. “Two. But Kale will need them.”

The look he gives her couldn't be more hateful.

The small spark of guilt it causes is enough to make her reach over and press a hand to Marty's uninjured face. “Andaress hear me. Cure moderate wounds.” There is little chance that that's enough to heal him very far (if indeed he accepts it at all – though I can't see why he wouldn't), but the knitting together of a few deep cuts and the sealing of major blood vessels may be enough to draw him back from death's door.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Marty

Marty was dying. He couldn't breathe. Why? I can't breathe...his lungs were filling with blood. The crimson liquid dripped out of his mouth as the half-elf coughed. He almost closed his eyes....embrace the dark...Then a touch. A soft one. He He gasps in could barely feel it softly touch him. He gasps in pain. A rib poked out of his chest. Then he was healed. The elf's flesh stitched back together. His internal bleeding was mostly stopped and a few broken ribs fixed. He groaned. A rib still sticked out and his foot was untouched by the magic however.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2012-05-04 at 11:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Thessaloniki - APC

Oh lovely, a curse. I imagine Teq's going to have some trouble sleeping after this battle.

The giant doesn't understand, however, and merely smiles grimly at the triplet's suggestion. "Clever. Let's do it," He says, grabbing the muttering priest and attempting to twist his arms behind his back. Once that's done, he'll drag the servant of Dalachrech out and around the APC, headed toward this bunker they're supposed to assault.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #265
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnoll Encampment

Well, Kale wasn't expecting... Whatever that was. From the miner's perspective it almost looked as though Korlak was chasing his own tail. As deadly serious as this whole crazy situation was, it almost makes him laugh, mental image of the hulking hyena-man running in circles like some oversized dog.

Like some oversized dog he's going to have to put down.

And just like that it ceases to be funny, It has to be done. It's either Korlak or everyone else. And if someone has to die, it's better that it be a murderous, worthless scumbag like Korlak.

Closing the last few feet between him and his quarry in one last burst of speed, Kale swings, putting all the momentum of the charge and his own considerable strength into the blow as he brings the pickaxe crashing down towards Korlak's shoulder.

Fields

Well, there's nothing the severely injured battlemage can really do about the approaching spidermine, except perhaps aim one last weak, spiteful kick at the horrid device as it crawls closer. Other than that he's helpless except to watch... Which perhaps isn't as helpless as it might be for any other creature, considering that whatever he sees, his brother sees as well.

Take for instance the flashbang hurtling towards the second battlemage. Eyes closed and enmeshed in casting, he would normally be taken off guard. But once again his allies save him from being taken unawares, the mental warning giving him just enough time to cancel out of his previous spell and instead tele-jump a few feet away, clapping hands over ears in the process.

Even from that distance he can still see the flash through his eyelids, hear the nervewracking screech of the detonation, but the brunt of the attack is avoided. Having to teleport away did disrupt his casting and prevent him from finishing the second half of the spells he was chaining together though, so he begins again, backing away from the fight and the crazy bomber as he chants the syllables of the second spell once more.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest to Plains]
    Antera the scorpion-lady and her companion come out of the forest and onto the plains; Antera clatters along on her many legs, carrying the bulk of their bags and stuff.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    [Forest to Plains]
    Antera the scorpion-lady and her companion come out of the forest and onto the plains; Antera clatters along on her many legs, carrying the bulk of their bags and stuff.

Riding atop her back was Carolyn, the young, precious maiden. She was about seventeen, and very very pretty. She sat silently, scratching at her arm.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Nexus] Outside XXX

[Gnoll Battlefield]

AM4 breaks into a carefully-paced run, almost a march, as Kremiir falls. If the distance is short enough, the robot will stop momentarily, but will punch the Gnoll with strength just above the peak of human ability.

Had AM4 been in full repair, attacking a fallen foe would have been impossible. The time bought by the damages is balanced by a screech as the machinaton's shoulder joint is knocked further out of order, however.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quinsar View Post

Riding atop her back was Carolyn, the young, precious maiden. She was about seventeen, and very very pretty. She sat silently, scratching at her arm.
    The scorpiongal looks a few years older. She glances back at Carolyn.
    You alright back there?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Carolyn grinned and slid forward on her back, wrapping her arms around the scorpion girl's waist for a "better grip."
    I'm fine, especially with you.

Carolyn set her chin on the other girl's shoulder, relaxing.