New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Andromeda: To Boldly Go

At this point I'm glad I pre-ordered just so I can get in there early on and see what the fuss is about. Since I usually like games that review around a 7 to 8 better than the 9s and 10s, the scores don't bother me. I find it far more interesting really, since a lot of them are saying things I've found true of Bioware games for years (flat writing, overreliance on chosen one plot lines etc) or else simply make no sense - the kvetching about Andromeda not being particularly imaginative. Given how blatant the game is about being essentially a soft reboot of the entire series, the fact that Andromeda is the Milky Way all over again should hardly be a surprise. I'm not sure why anybody would have entertained a different notion.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The game reviews are coming out and they are in the 6/7/8 range, averaging about 7.5.
    Huh, that's a lot lower than I expected. I mean, I might be pessimistic about the game, but that's because of my personal tastes for the most part, which aren't common. I figured they'd easily be getting their usual high marks from people who actually like the big open-world stuff.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Finally decided that this squeaks onto my "play at launch" list. Just. Mainly because I'm really itching for a shooter and I'm finishing out Hollow Knight exactly as the game releases.

Hopefully I won't wind up regretting it.
    Honestly the gameplay itself is really fun, its just the facial animations and the dialogue/VA in some places that are problematic. The story is standard Biowarefare so if you like the story in any game they've done before this you'll probably like the story in this game. A good game to compare it to would be DA:Inquisition. It has that same story feel and the open world areas feel similar, if more refined, to the areas in Inquisition.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Gamestop released Andromeda early, so my brother is building his Ryder right now. I have to wait until Green Man Gaming coughs up the keys for my PC version, but I can wait.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Huh, that's a lot lower than I expected. I mean, I might be pessimistic about the game, but that's because of my personal tastes for the most part, which aren't common. I figured they'd easily be getting their usual high marks from people who actually like the big open-world stuff.
    Fun fact about critics: they love to nitpick. A game that's completely perfect, save for one flaw, will probably rate lower than a consistently good game that's never perfect.

Personally, I find critics rarely have opinions that correspond with my own tastes, and when they do it's likely either by chance or because the game was "objectively" (insofar as that's possible) phenomenal or terrible.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

So here's a thought: this is one-way for humans, but an Asari or Krogan? They could easily have family in the Milky Way live to see them leave and come back.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Fun fact about critics: they love to nitpick. A game that's completely perfect, save for one flaw, will probably rate lower than a consistently good game that's never perfect.

Personally, I find critics rarely have opinions that correspond with my own tastes, and when they do it's likely either by chance or because the game was "objectively" (insofar as that's possible) phenomenal or terrible.
    Oh, I agree about the latter (not so sure about the former). I tend to just ignore reviews and scores altogether, personally, since like you I've never seen a reviewer whose tastes closely correspond to my own. But I'm still at least vaguely aware of how they operate from when I used to pay attention to them, and a big-name company putting out a new entry in a much-praised franchise like this tend(ed) to get a lot of easy 9s more often than not. And given how most people react to the sort of things they're changing relative to past entries, I wouldn't expect those to drag the scores down.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #848
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Go any evidence to back that up? Because it sounds completely untrue to me.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

My personal 'theory' - although that sounds awfully strong, guess seems more appropriate - about game critics is something like this. Most genres of game are subtly annoying. Because games copy each other like no tomorrow, you're gonna see the exact same set of annoying features in multiple games/ These annoyances slowly accumulate, particularly if you have to play the damn things all the time, and write/record/edit thoughts about them, all to a deadline so that the raging horrorshow that is the internet can shred your every thought in a punctual manner. So after about ten billion hours of playing ten million very similar hoover up all the icons on the map games, one that's a little less polished, with just a few extra annoying parts is gonna be very annoying indeed.

For a person who plays a smaller number of games, doesn't have to mainline the things, and is there for their own very personal reasons, I suspect this sort of genre fatigue is a lot less of a problem. If I decide I've gotten what I want to out of a game after 20 hours and never beat the thing, I can still come away satisfied.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    My personal 'theory' - although that sounds awfully strong, guess seems more appropriate - about game critics is something like this. Most genres of game are subtly annoying. Because games copy each other like no tomorrow, you're gonna see the exact same set of annoying features in multiple games/ These annoyances slowly accumulate, particularly if you have to play the damn things all the time, and write/record/edit thoughts about them, all to a deadline so that the raging horrorshow that is the internet can shred your every thought in a punctual manner. So after about ten billion hours of playing ten million very similar hoover up all the icons on the map games, one that's a little less polished, with just a few extra annoying parts is gonna be very annoying indeed.

For a person who plays a smaller number of games, doesn't have to mainline the things, and is there for their own very personal reasons, I suspect this sort of genre fatigue is a lot less of a problem. If I decide I've gotten what I want to out of a game after 20 hours and never beat the thing, I can still come away satisfied.
    True. I also tend to judge games on how many hours of enjoyment I get out of them. I'm sure when I eventually play this one I'll get my money's worth. That doesn't mean we have to ignore flaws if they're there though. I want the next installment to be better after all.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Honestly the gameplay itself is really fun, its just the facial animations and the dialogue/VA in some places that are problematic. The story is standard Biowarefare so if you like the story in any game they've done before this you'll probably like the story in this game. A good game to compare it to would be DA:Inquisition. It has that same story feel and the open world areas feel similar, if more refined, to the areas in Inquisition.
    It being like Inquisition is what I'm afraid of.

I'm hoping the difference in core gameplay and setting (I like Sci-Fi better than Fantasy) will make up the difference and get me past the MMO feel that Inquisition had. We'll see. I've got it downloading right now.

On the reviews, I think it's pretty fair. Based on the reviews I've read:

1) The open world stuff is decent, but other recent open world games do it better.

2) The character animations are passable, but better is expected of a AAA title.

3) The plot is okay, but it's standard Bioware fare and isn't anything remarkable.

4) The game doesn't really innovate in and of itself.

All of that results in a "Meh" from the reviewers. It isn't a bad game, so it doesn't get a low score. It isn't knock your socks off either, so it doesn't get a super high score. That results in the game getting a load of 6s, 7s, and 8s.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So here's a thought: this is one-way for humans, but an Asari or Krogan? They could easily have family in the Milky Way live to see them leave and come back.
    The trip is 600 years. A round trip would be at least 1200. Asari live 1000.

Round Trips are Krogan only, and why would they want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Spamalot in the Playground

Even assuming their tech could make the trip back (it can't - see below), 600 years each way is long even for Asari. Krogan might live long enough to go back, but they were pretty lucky to even make it on the away trip. (I mean, in-universe they were lucky - from a metapopularity/marketing standpoint, there was no way in hell Krogan would be getting left behind.)

To elaborate on that tech point:
    Spoiler: state of the Initiative
    Show
    When Ryder's Ark arrives - the only one to do so - the Nexus is so starved for power that they immediately plug Hyperion's core in and start siphoning juice from it. Given the desperation in Andromeda, there's no possible way they could spare the resources to outfit the ships for a return trip. The only real way to move up that timetable would be to incorporate Remnant tech, and that would mean settling and studying.

And speaking of Andromeda Krogan:
    Spoiler: Genophage Things
    Show
    They used the 600-year trip to Andromeda to make a dent in the genophage through a combination of gene therapy and their own mutations - the same kind of mutation that led Mordin and Maelon to modify the genophage prior to ME2. This drastically increased their birthrate from one in one thousand ("Like gardening!") to four in one hundred - still very low, but no longer a race-wide "perpetual twilight" of decline, especially since there aren't as many merc bands or clan rivalries in Andromeda for them to run off and die in either. They can just focus on things like growing crops and breeding, just like Wrex had wanted in ME1.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm kinda raging at the character creation already.

There are decent looking presets that I would love to modify and make my own.

Except...you can't. There's "preset with no changes" and "custom". And Custom brings up a hideous version that looks nowhere near as good as any of the presets, which would force me to spend ages with the sliders which I'm terrible with and SHOULDN'T HAVE TO MESS WITH BECAUSE THATS THE POINT OF MODIFYING A PRESET.

It's a massive oversight that I'm certain wasn't missed in any of the previous games. What the hell, Bioware?

Edit:

Nevermind. It's just that the UI is HORRIBLY unintuitive.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2017-03-21 at 12:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm kinda raging at the character creation already.

There are decent looking presets that I would love to modify and make my own.

Except...you can't. There's "preset with no changes" and "custom". And Custom brings up a hideous version that looks nowhere near as good as any of the presets, which would force me to spend ages with the sliders which I'm terrible with and SHOULDN'T HAVE TO MESS WITH BECAUSE THATS THE POINT OF MODIFYING A PRESET.

It's a massive oversight that I'm certain wasn't missed in any of the previous games. What the hell, Bioware?

Edit:

Nevermind. It's just that the UI is HORRIBLY unintuitive.
    You definitely couldn't modify the preset Shepard in the first two games. I don't know if you could in the third one because by then I was resigned to using the default.

16. - Top - End - #856

There's some terminology confusion happening here. "Default" is the initial face of Ryder/Shepard, the one that you see in the promo material. These are typically based on real-world models, which is why you can't modify them. (e.g. default Shepard is based on Mark Vanderloo and Scott Ryder's default comes from Steven Brewis.

Presets are different - these are a series of pre-made faces that Bioware devs put together using their face creator. These all CAN be modified/tweaked; they're not based on real people. It's basically a way to throw out a series of proportional noses, eyes and the like for us to use as a starting point.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There's some terminology confusion happening here. "Default" is the initial face of Ryder/Shepard, the one that you see in the promo material. These are typically based on real-world models, which is why you can't modify them. (e.g. default Shepard is based on Mark Vanderloo and Scott Ryder's default comes from Steven Brewis.

Presets are different - these are a series of pre-made faces that Bioware devs put together using their face creator. These all CAN be modified/tweaked; they're not based on real people. It's basically a way to throw out a series of proportional noses, eyes and the like for us to use as a starting point.
    Yeah, so what was happening is that after you select a preset, it locks it in and places it as "Custom". If you go back to the presets screen and select someone, the picture changes to the preset. I was then changing tabs to modify the one I selected, but it immediately switched to the Custom one (which happened to be an ugly preset). To get it to change I had to lock in a different preset.

I wound up changing very little as the options are...pretty sparse. Then again, my Shepards were always pretty close to the default so that's perhaps not surprising.

First couple hours summed up: Gameplay good, plot baaaaad. Hopefully it'll pick up once I get into the game proper.

18. - Top - End - #858

I'll take any amount of customization over a static PC like Geralt, Link or Aloy any day. I want to be the protagonist, not merely pilot them, which is why I prefer WRPGs in general. (One reason, anyway.)

Having peeked at the romance options I restarted the game as FemRyder; it's pretty disappointing that there's only one gay male option and he's not even a squadmate. Hopefully the sequel broadens the cheesecake options much like ME2 did. As it is, FemRyder can get with nearly all the aliens on the ship (including the new one), so she's the next best thing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post

Especially since one of the the krogan companion's whole schtick is visit new places, find new things to kill.

Is it just me or does default male Sheperd look tougher and more bad ass than Mark Vanderloo, but somehow Ryder looks like a weiner compared to Steven Brewis? Maybe its just that I have a history with Sheperd being a bad ass and Ryder not so much yet.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2017-03-21 at 11:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

double post
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2017-03-21 at 11:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also Shepard has an history as a badass when ME1 starts, Ryder is a "kid" in their early 20s
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Also Shepard has an history as a badass when ME1 starts, Ryder is a "kid" in their early 20s
    Fair, Sheperd is a System Alliance command officer and SPECTRE candidate at the start of ME1, so already a certified bad ass.

Also, I'm so angry that I can't play until at least tomorrow since my copy gets delivered today, while I'm at work. So mad, so very, very angry.

Spoiler: Marvin
    Show
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2017-03-21 at 11:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post

I didn't think Krogan lived as long as Asari, after all the poetry Krogan wasn't going to live as long as the Asari he was chatting up but it would still be a fairly long time.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I didn't think Krogan lived as long as Asari, after all the poetry Krogan wasn't going to live as long as the Asari he was chatting up but it would still be a fairly long time.
    Krogans live much longer than Asari. I thought poetry Krogan was gonna die in battle.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    No, where did you get that idea? Krogan live longer than they do. The problem is their lifespan is theoretical since nobody has seen one die of natural causes, not even them.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Mass Effect Andromeda: To Boldly Go

No, where did you get that idea? Krogan live longer than they do. The problem is their lifespan is theoretical since nobody has seen one die of natural causes, not even them.
    The Krogan companion in ME:A is 1400 years old. I recall an off hand comment in ME3 that natural death for a krogan is getting eaten by a thresher maw, since it naturally causes death.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no.

Did the Andromeda Initiative check to make sure they didn't bring thresher maws to Andromeda? Those things get everywhere.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Oh no.

Did the Andromeda Initiative check to make sure they didn't bring thresher maws to Andromeda? Those things get everywhere.
    Given the in game explanation about how they seem to get everywhere, we can't be sure that they didn't come from Andromeda to start with.

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    The Krogan companion in ME:A is 1400 years old. I recall an off hand comment in ME3 that natural death for a krogan is getting eaten by a thresher maw, since it naturally causes death.
    My point exactly.

Oh no.

Even if we brought some spores ourselves though, we don't know how long they gestate. But in any event, there is something filling that niche in Andromeda at least gameplay-wise.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Whew. So I finally managed to tie my EA account to my gamertag on Xbox one after it somehow got tied to a dead account- I had no problems on Xbox 360, but the Xbox One had to be different. That took the better part of an hour, and was the conclusion of a years long struggle that began because my Sister was too eager to use the new Xbox, and tied my Xbox account to a non-existant email (And by the time I figured this out, I had used that account for years).

So, after the conclusion of this drama, guess what happens? Xbox Live is down now.

Ah, well. At least I finally fixed that conundrum.

Question for anyone else who purchased a physical copy of the deluxe edition- Did you get two identical code inserts (apart from the code itself, obviously)? I'm confused as to whether this is a manufacturer error that has given me an extra copy of the deluxe edition content, or a second code I need to enter. The EA support said the latter, but I think he was confused by my gamertag being tie to the dead account at the time.
    Last edited by Squark; 2017-03-21 at 02:08 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe