New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1436
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Hm... Well, depends, will I get two units of stone for doing both?
    Theoretically yes, but I'm not sure that having two of them will do anything more than having one.

Also keep in mind my trade treaties have all been just trade and non-aggression between the two nations involved so far. The only ones who have proper alliances with the trade also happen to be bodyguards. Then there's Razdis who are just full of bosses who would protect their kinsman no matter the cost.

Also, just leaving a message here for anyone interested in getting rid of princesses who aren't going to cause political problems with a betrothal.

Yuuhi (born in 340) isn't currently betrothed to a beautiful princess. Must be fertile for a decent period of time when Yuuhi comes of age.Would prefer humans or fae (part or full). Would prefer tall, pale people with dark to black hair genes. Would also prefer them to be genetically slender. Would prefer to create positive marriage ties to neighbours. Thank you.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an almost entirely Fae princess available who fits those criteria? I've been wanting to ally with you anyway. Don't remember if we're proper neighbors, though?

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an almost entirely Fae princess available who fits those criteria? I've been wanting to ally with you anyway. Don't remember if we're proper neighbors, though?
    We're not really. I'm quite far North while you're more central. I'm not sure about an alliance yet because your nation's not very secure at the moment and Tekorva can't really afford political wars from having to choose between its current allies and Heartwaste. It's a shame. EDIT - I only mention this because a similar thing was going to happen between Pryonia and Sympol and Tekorva. Now that would've been interesting but not really... good... When the Heartwastes is safer, I'm sure an alliance is possible but as it is I can't afford it as my own position is rather... tenuous.

We also don't have an army so if you are attacked we can't really help anyway beyond trade.

Though the fae princess sounds like a great match for Yuuhi!
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-07 at 04:09 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    And now I want to use a future great project to compile a dictionary... Public roads and widespread irrigation be damned, people need standardised spelling!

Also, a brief lapse into In Character:
    Merchants are an important part of any society. Their continual search for unending profit provides a healthy base of taxable income that those of us ordained to rule can channel towards projects for the betterment of all.
    Let us hope however that they never end up in charge of anything important...

[/divine right of kings and philosophical, semi-altruistic approach to governance.]
    All this fluffing and small inclusionary side-projects make me warm inside.

Hm... Well, depends, will I get two units of stone for doing both?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Theoretically yes, but I'm not sure that having two of them will do anything more than having one.
    Currently, there are no mechanical benefits to imports of any kind of resource (other than foodstuffs) beyond the first of the same kind. Fluff trade is completely open though. If it wasn't, I probably would've limited trade to 1/2 exports per resource, rather than 3/6.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    I'd firstly like to say that I made several errors.
    First: the only reason that I screwed with the GC was because they were killing the heartwaste for no apparent reason. About 5 seconds after I do this, I find out that they withdrew .

It's like the Egypt-Shoshone conflict all over again. (CIV 5)

Second, I saw the thread (GC), causing an unfairness.

Third, I do most of my posts directly after getting home from school, and I've been having a bad week.

I think that I'm kind of a nuisance, so I resign. Pretend that the IC post never existed. This was fun while it lasted, but I must say farewell.
    With how a lot of actions have been getting changed (like about four different but related invasions), nobody can blame you for that.

As to reading the GC thread, if you don't do it again (unless you get accepted into the GC), it's a small problem, as the most that was discussed by the point your post reflected on was public knowledge--especially the yes-no-yes-no invasion of the Heartwaste.

If you have a bad week, you can take a bit of time off if you like. In Empire, you don't have to partake every week if you don't want to. Best case result you simply miss out on the game for a bit, worst case result of still partaking while you don't really want to is it making you want to continue less and less, and I don't want to see that. I loved seeing your enthusiasm in joining the game and getting started, and it is apparent in all of your post except this one.

If you wish to instead take a different region to distance yourself from the GC, that is fine too. In that case, Region 3 will simply become an NPC nation instead. I really hope you reconsider leaving us permanently.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Questions:
    Is laying the groundwork for a new religion an acceptable Faith action? Similarly, does laying the groundwork for several new deities count as several actions if that many actions are spent on it?
    Yes. In fact, a few players have done that or are currently in the process of doing so.

The first post says "Each round in which you perform two actions related to an attribute, you may increase it by 1.". Do these actions have to be in the same turn, as that wording would suggest? So, for instance, if I were to spend four actions on Faith and one on Curiosity, would the curiosity action be wasted for allowing me to increase the stat, though presumably still counting for progress towards the project?
    The actions have to be in the same turn, yes.

Under military you say "Military 5 Special: If you have a Military score of 5, you become able to quickly take in the surroundings of your army and use it. You can spend an action investigating the terrain and formulating strategies. Anyone you attack after that action on the same turn or the next turn does not gain a bonus for defensible terrain.". Does that include if they have to go through a pass and the pass is trapped with an avalanche, for example? Or, for that matter, simply a bottleneck that they must go through no matter their tactics, though that's a less borderline case? In other words, is that only the base bonus for the terrain itself that applies, or any bonus for terrain-related reasons?
    I'm actually considering removing that one, as the bonuses for terrain are rather nebulous, and leaving it in place may result in everyone just deciding that their new region is for some reason 100% really defensible natural formations. Besides, actions that don't give mechanical benefits are great, but actions that don't give them while explicitly saying that they do are inherently bad.

Avalanches though... hmm, they may have the potential to bar troops access. Of course, since the actions take place over a long time, in that manner it makes little sense. However, I'll take a look further into it.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-07 at 07:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    It seems everyone's lexicon has one thing in common! Mountains are the BEST.
    Nonsense. They're always getting in the way of something, whether it be herds of horses, agriculture or the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    All this fluffing and small inclusionary side-projects make me warm inside.
    I have no intention whatsoever of actually writing the dictionary in question. That would be madness. However, it is a pretty good curiosity based Great Project in my mind and I'm going to need curiosity if I am to build Ashenia into an economic and cultural powerhouse.
    That, and an Ashenite dictionary will make it really easy for me to advocate the Ashenite language as a common scholarly tongue.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    In GRAND gilt text, embossed on the finest of imported leather, and covering the most delicate pages, sits the Guilder Codexicon, a big book with a lot of words that the faculty of the Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds is calling a "dictionary." Here we find some of the most brilliant entries:

Sea: Something to use to get money.
    Desert: Something to use to get money.
    Swamp: Something to use to get money.
    Forest: Something to use to get money.
    Tundra: Something to use to get money.
    Volcano: Something to use to get money.
    Mountain: Something to use to get money.

Are they obsessed? Yes. Single-minded and greedy? Yes. Are they good at their jobs? You better effing believe it, son. Now how about trading me that open jaw for some lumber?
    Ok...must...keep...up....MY TURN!

In the halls of the great Library in Kasumor, where a huge number of scrolls are kept, either ancient or new, Ignias is at work to put all those scrolls into new cotton scroll holders, to cushion any impact they might sustain. He does not mind, because despite his station, he is quite the humble man. According to himself at least. While doing his work though, he discovers an old scroll with old saying about the different kind of land and seas. Quite an interesting find, if he says so himself.

Somehow they all relate to insects though.... typical:

Sea: Good for breeding water insects.
    Desert: Not good for breeding insect, to much heat.
    Swamp: Somehow insect seem to thrive here....
    Forest: Good place to breed insects.
    Tundra: Not a good place at all for breeding insect. Bugs do not like cold.
    Volcano: FAR to hot to breed insects.
    Mountains: Beter to train riders than insects. Good place to find good flyers.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-02-07 at 08:38 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

8. - Top - End - #1328

Rough translations from ancient Hrathanesse.

Sea: Realm of the merchant's guild.
    Desert: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Land: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Swamp: Illegitamite child of land and sea.
    Forest: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Tundra: Far away.
    Mountain: Realm of the mining guild.
    Underground: Place of Refuge.
    Volcano: Pit of Demons.
    Sky: Spirit World.
    River: Realm of the merchant's guild.
    Tuor: Gateway (between land and sea).
    Hrathan: Home of the Nine Guilds.
    Other countries: Not yet the realm of the Nine Guilds.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, speaking of treasure... You want to buy some mining rights to Wyrm's Pit?
    I might very well do so... what sort of mining goes down in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    We... Are? Memes are a sign of this? The more you know...
    Yes. A Meme is a shared joke amongst a group of people, and usually refers to the internet. It is made up of two primary components: The joke, and understanding it. If you have both, then it is a meme, and more importantly, a connection to the person or community making it.

IE, I was basically just saying, "we have inside jokes already!"

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Ok...must...keep...up....MY TURN!

In the halls of the great Library in Kasumor, where a huge number of scrolls are kept, either ancient or new, Ignias is at work to put all those scrolls into new cotton scroll holders, to cushion any impact they might sustain. He does not mind, because despite his station, he is quite the humble man. According to himself at least. While doing his work though, he discovers an old scroll with old saying about the different kind of land and seas. Quite an interesting find, if he says so himself.

Somehow they all relate to insects though.... typical:

Sea: Good for breeding water insects.
    Desert: Not good for breeding insect, to much heat.
    Swamp: Somehow insect seem to thrive here....
    Forest: Good place to breed insects.
    Tundra: Not a good place at all for breeding insect. Bugs do not like cold.
    Volcano: FAR to hot to breed insects.
    Mountains: Beter to train riders than insects. Good place to find good flyers.
    PS, and the meme contiues.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Rough translations from ancient Hrathanesse.

Sea: Realm of the merchant's guild.
    Desert: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Land: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Swamp: Illegitamite child of land and sea.
    Forest: Realm of the Nine Guilds.
    Tundra: Far away.
    Mountain: Realm of the mining guild.
    Underground: Place of Refuge.
    Volcano: Pit of Demons.
    Sky: Spirit World.
    River: Realm of the merchant's guild.
    Tuor: Gateway (between land and sea).
    Hrathan: Home of the Nine Guilds.
    Other countries: Not yet the realm of the Nine Guilds.
    I lol'd right there. Pretty hard.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

We are currently setting up a new thread to continue in once we hit page 50 here. Please do NOT post yet in the new thread, as it may screw up our organization. I figure that page 50 will roughly coincide with the start of Round 4, the speed things are going. I mean, I lost my internet a little over a day ago until around noon today, and two full pages had sprung up by the time I returned! Probably a rarity, but still. At this rate, we'll need a new thread every month. Spot on, actually, as this thread will be exactly one month (31 days) old by Wednesday. 4 weeks by Sunday eve.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

We are currently setting up a new thread to continue in once we hit page 50 here. Please do NOT post yet in the new thread, as it may screw up our organization. I figure that page 50 will roughly coincide with the start of Round 4, the speed things are going. I mean, I lost my internet a little over a day ago until around noon today, and two full pages had sprung up by the time I returned! Probably a rarity, but still. At this rate, we'll need a new thread every month. Spot on, actually, as this thread will be exactly one month (31 days) old by Wednesday. 4 weeks by Sunday eve.
    Just to clarify, we're totally good with posting here, until we get the new digs?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to clarify, we're totally good with posting here, until we get the new digs?
    So long as we don't hit 50 before tomorrow. (No that isn't a challenge)
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as we don't hit page 50 suddenly and tank it.

Ninja'd by seconds.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-02-07 at 10:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    So long as we don't hit 50 before tomorrow. (No that isn't a challenge)
    I'm fine with challenging everyone to hit, like, 49 by Sunday, at the very least.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm fine with challenging everyone to hit, like, 49 by Sunday, at the very least.
    Your wish is my command.

TIME FOR MORE MEMES.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Your wish is my command.

TIME FOR MORE MEMES.
    Short back and forths like this work too

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Short back and forths like this work too
    Yup! There's a Dilbert comic I remember that applies here: when talking about his company, he says, "I wonder why there are no laws against what I do for a living."

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

The Royal Council of
    Raaneka
    Regions 11, 11b & 12, Zap Dynamic
    Last Updated: Beginning of Round 15 (401-405)

The Royal Council of Raaneka
    Queen Bhakti and King Tikta II Satato
    Prince Jacob and Princess Calaki Serendel
    Deep Scholars Dezarajacarita and Anagatavati
    History of Councilors
    (Please note: dates in the tree above reflect the individual's years of service on the Royal Council, not their birth/death dates.)

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy: 8
    Military: 6
    Curiosity: 9
    Faith: 1
    Luck: 5

Original Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 4
    Curiosity: 6
    Faith: 1
    Luck: 3

Total Population: 252,000
    Raaneka: 75,000
    Qarimos: 127,000
    Ayava: 50,000

Spoiler: Trade (Resources and Technology by Region)
    Show
    Raaneka:
    Resources:
    Heartwine [Great]: 1 available
    • Guilderene Bronze
    • Jeweled City Gems
    • Lyradissian Clay
    • Nyrothian Silk
    • Sulvan Mithral and Tech

Colored Sandstone [Good]:
    • Jeweled Cities Kelp-Olive Oil
    • Slca'ca Gold
    • Huroshi Alchemical Compounds

Lumber [Good]:
    • Crimar Horses
    • Grmanhili Honey
    • Solusian Glass

Berundas [Good]: not available for trade
    Need Livestock (receiving Crimar Horses for Raaneki Lumber)

Technology:
    Avian Riding (+1 Military Battle Checks, +1 Military Maneuvering Checks)
    • Maian Athletes
    • Bordeusi Project Help (Royal Palace, 2 actions)

Mithral Forging (+2 Military Battle Checks)
    • Raaneki Heartwine to Sulvan's Fury

Ignato Plate Armor (+2 to Military Battle Checks)
    • Raaneki Diplomacy Tech to Triumvirate

Raaneki Diplomacy (+2 to Diplomacy checks vs. opponents who lack Raaneki Heartwine)
    • Gifted to Lyradis, Razdis, and the Jeweled Cities
    • Ignato Plate Armor Tech

Qarimos:
    Resources:
    Ships [Good]: 1 available
    • Sympol Lumber
    • Jarrland Dyes

Spices [Good]:
    • Domhan Lumber
    • Guilderene Crops
    • Raaneki Berundas

Elephants [Good]:
    • Grmanhili Iron
    • Lyradissian Bricks/Pottery
    • Triumvirate Fish and Goats

Jeweled Cities Pilots (gift)
    Need Lumber (receiving Lumber from Sympolemou and Domhan Abhaile)

Technology:
    Ocean-Faring Ships
    Aerial Naval Carrier
    • 3 actions toward the Celero project help

Printing Press (+1 to all Diplomacy checks)
    • Gifted from Sulvan's Fury

Ayava:
    Resources
    Scholars [Good]: 1 available
    • Raaneki Berundas
    • Genivanan Osuro Mirc
    • Alydaxian Artifacts

Mushroom Trees [Good]: 2 available
    • Estglaz Silver

Cave Cats [Good]: 3 available
    Need Light (Receiving Berundas from Raaneka)

Technologies
    None

Spoiler: Politics
    Show
    Spoiler: Declaration of the Royal Council of Raaneka
    Show
    To all the citizens of our domain, we bid you welcome!

The realm of Raaneka grows, and takes into its consideration many old alliances. Our glory is restored to an age undreamed of, and still the horizon is far away. May all who have eyes to see or ears to hear know that Lomadi and Ujval Devdano, masters of Raaneka, do claim themselves Queen and King of the Diarchy of Raaneka.

That we might live in harmony with our new kin, may rule of law be shared by regents of each province of the realm. In the 381st year of the common era, we announce the birth of the Royal Council of Raaneka. May six councilors serve from each province in the realm. From the Diarchy of Raaneka, Queen and King shall always serve on the Council, and shall be joined by the remaining four matriarchs and patriarchs of the Adite-Devdano dynasty. From the Principality of Qarimos, may the Princess and Prince of the land be joined by advisors elected on merit, as is their custom. From the new realm beneath Raaneka, may they elect six officials however they should choose, but may they accept the friendship of House Satato, who is eager to learn more of the ancestors.

We decree this with the full authority won with peaceful words by Aditi and Devdan, may they return in our greatest need. We ask for the blessing of the Raaneki, different in culture and race but united in history, fellows for the rest of time.

Your humble masters,

Lomadi and Ujval Devdano
    Queen and King of Raaneka
    Bright Glory, Dark Wine
    First Vintner of Raaneka
    Mistress of Trade
    Wisdom and Generosity

Jacob and Calaki Serendel
    Prince and Princess of Qarimos
    Music and Flexibility

Dezarajacarita and Anagatavati
    Deep Scholars of Ayava
    Kindle Excellence

• Founding member of the Dawn League
      • Envoy to the Union of the Northwest
    • Queen Anguri Adite was Cousin to the Jeweled Cities
      • Former Childhood Warding Tradition with the Jeweled Cities.
    • Lord David Satato married to Lady Uristine of Razdis
    • Dacari Devdano is married to Edwyrd Jarrow of Jarrland
    • Bhavi Asane, noblewomman, married to Anton of Solus
    • Sir Bapa Adite was friend and fellow hunter to the Na'nuk of Wenyavuk
    • Old marriage ties with Bordeux

Spoiler: Military
    Show
    Raaneka (10 max):
    1 Aerial Unit
    1 Land Unit
    1 Naval Unit

Qarimos (5 max):
    1 Aerial Unit
    2 Naval Units

Ayava (5 max):
    1 Aerial Unit
    2 Land Units

Agents:
    The Fellows (Keyword: Investigation)

The War Doctrine of Queen Anguri Adite
    Raaneka excerpt from the Scrolls of Prowess
    Fellows excerpt from the Scrolls of Prowess

Spoiler: Map of Raaneka
    Show

Thanks goes out to Aedilred!

Raaneka
    The Painted Diarchy
    Region 11

Queen Bhakti and King Tikta II Satato
    Roll of Names for the Adite-Devdano Dynasty
    Aditi-Devdan Family Tree

Region Details

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Full many a wonder is told us in stories old, of rough, color-slashed ranges, of wide blankets of wine dark berries, of sorrowful losses, of a bold and noble folk. Hark, and recall the glory of Raaneka, the painted lands.

The terrain of Raaneka was seen by few enough, but known by many in fable and tale. Who could look upon the Painted Coast, that riot of colored stone which fell from vibrant, seabound peaks to dappled-sand shores, and not pause with teary eye? How else might Bandar of Many Colors, that sea port of old, have been raised?

And rising into Raaneka, what soul would not be stirred by the Berrylands, from which the sweetest wines still flow? Who could not craft the sacred ink from the emerald berry, or the sable, or the scarlet flowerberry, and be not moved?

And high in the mountain passes, what soul has not wished for the solace of the Miracle Pools, those healing hot springs? What man or woman abed has not wished for the cleansing minerals of that elusive water?

Great Projects:
    The Kindred Stadiums, home of the Raaneki Games.
    • The Wave Stadium, overlooking Bandar Harbor for the Mock Naval Battle of the Raaneki Games.
    • The Great Stadium of Sarab, housing all other events of the Raaneki Games.
    • Raaneka Racecourse, stretching from Bandar to Sarab by means of the Painted Coast, Lower Berrylands, and the Sarabi Steps.

Projects:
    Golden Berunda Statue, Stadium Plaza, Sarab

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Raaneka excerpt from the Radurjic Codex
    Raaneki excerpt from the Bestiary of Telluris

Hearty humans dwelt in that land, with sharp and mirthful eyes. They recorded joy and sorrow both upon their flesh with the sacred inks of the Berrylands. Upon their arms, and legs, and bodies they enshrined memory and oath with pride, and often walked unclad (or near enough) that all might see that pride displayed.

Their braided hair reminded them of the virtue of fellowship, and the community they dearly loved. They made a pact to that end when well and truly grown, after 16 years of life, and their first tattoo was a reminder of that pact. Would they live for themselves, serve others in bold and mighty ways, and live in freedom all their days? Or would they seek out marriage, raise a family, and act as leaders of their community? Honor might be found on either path, and though there was little shame in changing paths in life, such a decision was grave indeed, and was not made in haste.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Berunda excerpt from the Bestiary of Telluris

What resources might the Raaneki coax from their beautiful and fruitful land? Most famous by far was Berryland wine, how varied, how subtle, how sublime! Alas, that same terrain that yielded their greatest treasure was their greatest challenge, for what livestock could they find among such endless brambles and vines? Alas, the Raaneki must needs trade for this abroad.

They cleared forest land for lumber to win trade and prosperity. They mined the colored sandstone of their land, a luxury for all ambitious builders of the world.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Example of a Raaneki Fellowship Rite

And religion, that ancient rite, was found amongst them too. Those daring and clever ancestors of each family line were raised as exemplars in death. Their wisdom trickled down from the firmament for long years after their death, and guided the Raaneki to harmony, the joy of fellowship, and the glory of stunning vistas and new scenes. Some few of them worshipped the Lord of Fire, and their worship was welcomed but unvalued by those who held their ancestors in higher esteem.

Spoiler: Technologies
    Show
    • Acrobatic Saddles*
    • Athletics*
    • Berunda Riders (+1 Military battle checks, +1 Military maneuvering checks)
    • Falconry*
    • Good Roads*
    • Horse Jumping*
    • Kites*
    • Permanent Skin Dye*
    • Revelry**

*Fluff only/not tradeable.
    **Mandatory

Spoiler: Heraldry Roll
    Show

Lady Aditi and Lord Devdan

House Adite

House Devdano

House Satato

The Principality of
    Qarimos
    Region 12

"Music and Flexibility"

Prince Jacob and Princess Calaki Serendel

Region Details

Show
    Hark now, ye listeners gathered near, to tales of windswept adventure, of the ancient bond of blood, of memories long-hidden in the mists of time. Such was the song of Qarimos by the sea, an ancient land of sun-parched plains, where majestic beasts walked abroad, and where ancestral ties brought those long-sundered closer together.

Those dry lands to the south, where no tree could be found, they were full to bursting with treasures and wonders alike. The Glass Hills rose in jagged terror betwixt Qarimos and the Berrylands of Raaneka, an ancient scar of mighty battles. So say the legends. And high in the barren land, what traveler would not marvel at the Flower Lakes, inconstant jewels upon that scrubby plain, that wax in rain, and vanish in sunshine, and burst with their namesake but once each year?

But first of all the treasures of Qarimos was Stormgate, relic island of their mythic past. When the Sea People came from the depths, they took that island for their colony and their bulwark against this new world above. There they met the ancient Raaneki of old, and made a new people. Their doughty spirits guard that sacred island still, against all who would profane their puissant memory.

Projects:
    Granaries

Show
    Tikta Satato, Prince of Raaneka, was ever a seeker of unseen shores and unthought wisdom. It was this spirit-fire that sent him on his quest, a quest to learn what he could of the people that became the Raaneki. It was this spirit-fire that uncovered a link with the folk of the sea. The ancient Raaneki spread south into the lands of Qarimos, and there met the Sea People and made a new kindred, Il-poplu Tal-bahar in their own tongue.

And in the harbors of cosmopolitan Melytis, long rival of princely Qarta in the Glass Hills, who could gaze at Raaneki and Qarimosi together and not find semblance? Though the sea’s bounty did make its people taller, and the Raaneki had hair in many strange colors, still the same flash of the eye, the same olive flesh! The tongue of the sea folk rolled like the tide. Raaneki twisted like vines upon a trellis, yet even here there was kinship. Long sundered, they welcomed each other as brothers and sisters.

Show
    Though the land was barren and Qarimos had need of lumber, there were yet things for which they might trade abroad. Most plentiful of these were its potent spices, gathered from the shrubs of the high plains and the harvest of the tides. They garnished food and strengthened drink, and some were burned in rites to the spirits. Grander than these were the elephants, which grazed from the high plains to the southern lowlands by the shore. Prized as beasts of burden and war, with peerless ivory to reap from their bones.

Greatest in the eyes of the Qarimosi, though, were their seaborn ships. Keen of prow and shaped of timbers as dark as night, they smote upon the waters with grace. Their sails were colored in the fashion of their use, white for royalty, yellow for trade, red for acts of war. These snared the winds and sped the ships with power and agility. Their holds were wide and deep, for long exploration and heavy trade. Their weapons were many, for red war and black death.

Show
    When the Sea People came up from the ocean deep, in the days before they had news of other races abroad, they saw the beasts and bounties of this world and gazed upon their spirits, aided by their gift of watersight. They passed this wisdom to their children and their children’s children, though their lineage lost the watersight in time. The Qarimosi were left with tales without vision. The tales remained but dwindled in reverence. As sure as tide returns, so too did spirit worship ebb and flow by age and by hearth. Each man and woman came to the spirits alone, and many did not speak of it.

Ayava
    Region 11b

Deep Scholars Dezarajacarita and Anagatavati

Region Details

Show
    What dream or treasure could be more sacred than memory, of fond recollection, of stirring reverie, of bold tales shared and shared again? Hark, for there were memories of tumults and triumphs aplenty in merry Raaneka, and in the land of Ayava beneath it.

In the north of Raaneka, in the 375th year of the Common Calendar, between the Mountains of Dis and the borders of Hrathan-Tour, many a wonder was found that the Raaneki had lost for long bygone ages. A hidden tunnel lead to Ayavazarmanbuh-ja, the cavernous world below the empty north. Deep down it descended, into the vaults of the earth where no light could ever breach.

First of the gauntlets traversed by adventurers from the world above was the Sea of Sunken Stars, which feeds the Miracle Pools above. These explorers came upon the sea when night shrouded Raaneka above, and it seemed measureless and black. But as they skirted its edge and the sun rose above, the very night sky it had pushed from the heavens came into view in the depths of the sea. It was upon the shores of this sea where the gnomes built their many-tiered city, Grand Delving. Here the gnomes lived, as nimble on a rock face as in a contest of wits.

Chief among the treasures of Grand Delving was the academic hall of Kevanubhadarz, called Flickerhall by those bold Raaneki explorers, in the deepest bedrock of the city. It was an academy of shadows and silence in Ayava’s heart. Many recessed lights flickered in its corridors, but the library at its nadir was black as Sableberry dye. Only with the aid of a gnome’s darksight could any tome be found. Such was their protection in those chambers beneath the earth.

Projects:
    -

Show
    This world of pressing rock was home to small and studious folk, known to themselves as Dhanazarmanoms, the guardians of memory. To the folk of the surface they were known simply as gnomes, and were a wonder unlike any the Raaneki had yet beheld. Exceedingly small were they, and those with smaller stature won greater renown among them.

Their historians told the Raaneki of a great cataclysm, of the loss of many tomes, of a long age in the dark, and of dwindling fuel for their fires. Their wide eyes learned to see in the dark, but only by light could they read the tomes they treasured. Dark and light fell out of balance, and much learning drifted back into the pages from which it had sprung. Knowledge, their child to protect and their lord to obey, its sight did fade til the Raaneki returned the light to Ayava below.

But light was not the last gift Raaneka sought to give. Tales they brought too, tales of bound tomes in distant lands, and unknown realms beyond. The sun’s light held power the gnomes could not bear, but by moonlight they schemed and dreamed and worked their way abroad. Such was their desire, to reach out and reap a broad harvest of learning.

Show
    In the world beneath our feet, there were once many fine things to be found by those with strength of heart and mind. Though gems and ore bedecked the deeps of other lands, Ayava, long a bastion of ancient knowledge, had pride beyond things of craft. They prized knowledge, and memory, and had such store of scholars as no other land had seen. On the surface world they studied only at night, but could discover much of history, craft, and forgotten mysteries by light of the moon.

But all things need meat, or graze, or something to sate their hunger, and the gnomes were no different. They harvested the mushroom trees from that cavernous city, and from those caps they made stews and pastes, grilled delicacies and folk medicine. The wood of the tree was spongy and light, though not good for construction without reinforcement.

Rarest of all gnomish resources were the cave cats, known to control even the most fickle of vermin. Though prone to mischief and not suitable as pets, cave cats hunt through scent alone, and have no need for light or darkness in their business.

Alas! Such a scholarly people delighted in nothing so much as the scripted page and the wisdom preserved within. By secret ways, the gnomes did learn the way to see in total darkness, but no writing could they spy with such sight. To read, and yay to write as well, the gnomes did yearn for light, and the fuel to keep it kindled.

Show
    And what spirits or ancestors did the gnomes know in their long and pensive seclusion? As the tomes they saved sat in the black of Flickerhall, they dreamed of protection. As their torches guttered and their candles finally flickered out, they dreamed of light.

These were their spirits. Nivertastrazreyasa, the light where knowledge is discovered, and Ayavazarmanbuh-ja, the darkness where knowledge is kept safe. When first they climbed from their warren in the north, they gazed upon the silver moon and knew it for their most fervent guardian. They called it Caradhanavabuh-ja, the holy lamp of knowledge and memory. It gave them light to learn in the dark that kept them safe, so unto it did they dedicate their study.

The Chronicle of the Painted Lands

Spoiler: Queen Lomadi and King Ujval Devdano (362-383)
    Show

Spoiler: Queen Anguri and King Krama Adite (383-401)
    Show

401-405--Defeat and Rebellion

369--Example of a Raaneki Fellowship Rite
    372--The Tale of the Very First Raaneki Games
    386--The Tale of the Qarimosi Killings
    392--Toward the Dawn, a Raaneki Historical Record
    399--Warrior Queen, Blazing Avatar
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-05-30 at 07:12 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

19. - Top - End - #1339

@lexicons I appear to have stared a meme. Oh gods.

@Zap Looks interesting so far. Nice to have you with us!
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    I helped

I have updated the Radurjic Codex. So now there's actually a bit of substance there. I sorta jumped the gun on posting it the first time I think.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

You were doing it before it was cool. *cough*hipster*cough*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright folks, as Zap was able to first exhibit:

We're looking to regularize the Region posts that you all have as your main OP for your region. There aren't any major changes, just a format that makes things easy for us and allows everyone entering an easy way to make their post have everything they need it to have, without a lot of confusion.

So if everyone could edit their posts to the format below, I would REALLY appreciate it. I changed mine over pretty easily, so it shouldn't take too much time at all. Anyone have a problem with this request?

---

Region Name
    Region #, User Name
    [Your Royal Heraldry if you have one]
    __

[Link to Original Rolls]
    (from the dice thread in Morph's first post)

Ruler Name

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy:
    Military:
    Curiosity:
    Faith:
    Luck:

Population:

Original Stats:
    Diplomacy:
    Military:
    Curiosity:
    Faith:
    Luck:

(after your first round, please list in a spoiler what the original stats of the ruler were before you update them, so that we might be able to back check for errors later)

[link to Family Tree, if you have one]

Region Details

Show
    Make a description of your region, as well as three landmarks or notable regions. Please be sure to bold the title of these 3 things.

Show
    Describe the Race of your people, and the culture or characteristics that you feel are note worthy. You can split it into different characteristics within this post as you wish, just make sure to clearly state the basics in the first couple sentences if possible.

Show
    List three major resources that your country in known for. If you have any questions about resources, send a PM to a GM and they can assist you. Make sure you do not list something magical as a feature. In addition to 3 resources, please list 1 resource your country NEEDS to import to function.

Show
    Describe you country's religion here. If you are just starting out, make sure it is one of the listed basic religions, or the Lord of Fire. Any other fluff you wish to describe toward your customs within this is fine and encouraged.

Show
    If you are just starting out, you will have no notable technologies that others do not have. However, as you country progresses in things, such as Curiousity advancements, you can list these here.

(Any other things for your country can be listed below, within or without spoilers, as you wish. )

---

Also, while I have your guys attention, make sure to Label your actions with the stat you are using for each action. That way, we know exactly what you think you should get for the round. If it's too much of a stretch, we'll likely go with what we think it should be, but it gives you folks a more hands on way to affect your nation stats.

---

Last, in your trade agreements/treaties/alliances, please have ALL THOSE WITHIN the alliance give a description of what the exact agreement is between the two nations, or give a link to the alliance details (or reference it in some way, such as "As detailed by Guilder" or something). That way, we know and you know exactly what you're agreeing to, and the deal can go through.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-02-07 at 02:21 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I helped

I have updated the Radurjic Codex. So now there's actually a bit of substance there. I sorta jumped the gun on posting it the first time I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    You were doing it before it was cool. *cough*hipster*cough*

@Zap Looks interesting so far. Nice to have you with us!
    Memes cannot be started, only copied. Or so the story goes. You still started it.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I noticed, or a couple of things.

First, where do we put population?
    Second, where do we put military units?

I would suggest population be put in bold in the People section and military units be listed as a sub-section in the resources spoiler.

Just my 2 cents.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

I had planned on starting play in the next turn, but it occurs to me that this turn is ongoing. Do I need to post right now, or is it OK for me to wait until the next turn begins to enter play?
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I had planned on starting play in the next turn, but it occurs to me that this turn is ongoing. Do I need to post right now, or is it OK for me to wait until the next turn begins to enter play?
    I believe you can start now. But your actions for this round cannot include other players if their actions don't include you.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    One thing I noticed, or a couple of things.

First, where do we put population?
    Second, where do we put military units?

I would suggest population be put in bold in the People section and military units be listed as a sub-section in the resources spoiler.

Just my 2 cents.
    Population is in between ruler current stats and original. Military you can list on your own below the other posts, or below population. Some people maintain their original posts and some people don't so that's up to the individual. Either way, Wayland will be mainly updating from your actions. Listing your military somewhere might help him, so I'd be more inclined to suggest upkeeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    You can start this round, or you can wait, as you wish. This round you'll be rushing, but you can. All your actions will be your own, but you can send actions toward other people for them to react next round, for example.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #1348

Just changed my region post to the new format.

@Rain Dragon, you might find the description of Razdissi Half-Dwarves in my people section useful for your next ruler. Shortish grey people with thick hair.

Edit: also, zabbarot, do you have any ideas for my starting a post in the Radurjic Codex thread? Something like "I am X, a half-dwarf convert to the faith. I am stationed in Razdis because XYZ. The people here believe ABC. Etc."?
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-02-07 at 04:04 PM.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Just changed my region post to the new format.

@Rain Dragon, you might find the description of Razdissi Half-Dwarves in my people section useful for your next ruler. Shortish grey people with thick hair.

Edit: also, zabbarot, do you have any ideas for my starting a post in the Radurjic Codex thread? Something like "I am X, a half-dwarf convert to the faith. I am stationed in Razdis because XYZ. The people here believe ABC. Etc."?
    I am currently doing a write up for a potential Book II for the second post. Allow me to reserve it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

Guilder
    Region 14, SamBurke

[Link to Original Rolls]

Tumberink

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy: 4
    Military: 6
    Curiosity: 6
    Faith: 3
    Luck: 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Original Stats:
    Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 5
    Curiosity: 3
    Faith: 3
    Luck: 1

Region Details

Show
    Guilder is perhaps one of the best-situated trading nations in the world. From the massive Battersea Harbor System, with dozens of natural fjords forming the basis for its docks, to the Longsight Mountains, which allow easy transport of the various goods on their slopes down to the port-based valleys, everything in Guilder is built for having people coming and going all the time. Perhaps the only drawback to the nation is the Erlstorms, completely uncontrollable magical torrents which sometimes tear and shape the mountains for days on end.

Show
    Because Guilder is a nation based entirely on ships and trade, its people began to venture far afield very early after its borders were formed. As a result, there are citizens of every type and description, even some who are not entirely human.

Show
    The Farsight mountains are rich in natural resources, for those who can make quick trips up and down to gather wood, food crops, and metals. This reliance on exports creates a massive problem, however: the vast majority of those who are raised in Guilder become the producers of raw materials in the mountains, or traders in the ports. Thus, much of the trade is used for bringing in skilled laborers and craftsmen.

Show
    There is no organized religion in Guilder, however many "worship" money in a crude way, through various pagan deities of trade, money, and power.

Show
    -Bronze-working at a basic level.
    -The Technological Institute for Brilliant Minds, a university that focuses on pragmatic sciences.
    -[Inventors] as a new Resource.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-02-07 at 04:18 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII