New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
    Fortunately, the books are awesome. Can we download a second time please - so I can have a copy on my iPad and one on my PC?
    Its a non-DRM PDF. If you can't download it multiple times, you could just email it to yourself add an attachment.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    To add to the previous question, is there some sort of offer if we purchase a PDF of a book we already own?
    I would love to be able to do something like that, but there's just no logistical way. I wouldn't know how I could possibly verify that someone had bought the book previously, considering they've been sold in comic book and game stores for years; it's not like I have a giant database of who owns the books.
    For what it's worth, there is an application on mobile called Shelfie (you can easily search for it if it interests for you; I'm not shilling here) that allows owners of physical books to acquire free or reduced cost copies of the ebooks by signing the physical copyright page.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, I bought OtOOtPCs. I'm using the possible purchase of DCF as a motivator for myself, so if I work quickly enough to satisfy my own personal standards then I will hopefully by DCF this weekend.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Question - will I need to buy the PDF for DCF in order to read the new essay? I really want to read it, so I definitely will if so.
    Eventually, when the current supplies of paper DCF copies runs out and I need to reprint, I will reprint this version—with the updated fonts and the extra essay—rather than the old one. However, we are likely years away from running out, and given that I know I've just reduced demand for the print version by putting the digital version on sale, we may never run out while the comic is still going.
    The issue I (and probably others) have is that I already own the book and don't need another copy of it, digital or otherwise - but I'd still like to read the additional essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Have you considered selling "Ten Years of Crawlin'," for a humble price? Like $1 or $2 or something? I already have all the paperbacks, so I don't really feel motivated to shell out $15 just for an article, but I'd like to read the article.
    This essentially is my perspective, and a cheap price for just the extra essay would probably work for me.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I am just going to join and repeat the chorus of "YAY!"s

. . . and then I'm going off to order my electronic pdfs!

Thanks, Giant. First, for a great artistic product that has entertained me (among many others) for several years. Second, for now making it available in electronic format.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I was actually going to ask that since they're already pdf, maybe there could be a chance to have them available to buy?
    I too would very much like to see the Kickstarter only PDFs become available for purchase. I am much more flush with money now than I was during Kickstarter, and I would love to finally have access to them!

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by durron597 View Post
    I too would very much like to see the Kickstarter only PDFs become available for purchase. I am much more flush with money now than I was during Kickstarter, and I would love to finally have access to them!
    If they ever do become available for independent purchase (which I would like, even though I participated in the KS and have access to them; I've always kind of chafed against the idea of pre-order bonuses that you couldn't just buy later on for no good reason), the most logical solution would be to wait until they all come out and compile them into a single book of extras. Or maybe add them into future books as a bonus feature. Both good options, and I'm sure I'm overlooking other options as well.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If they ever do become available for independent purchase (which I would like, even though I participated in the KS and have access to them; I've always kind of chafed against the idea of pre-order bonuses that you couldn't just buy later on for no good reason)
    I'm fairly certain the Giant said they might become available as for-sale PDFs eventually.

If I'm remembering that correctly, I'd say that this PDF experiment, should it be successful, will be a huge step in making that eventuality transform into an actuality. Or something like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, you could definitely do that, though as you say, make sure they know to look for the email immediately or they might miss it. I don't know if there's a way to retrieve a download link if they accidentally delete the email. I guess we'll all find out together when someone does it by accident.
    I was able to get my download link resent by emailing the Gumroad support people ([email protected]) They just need to know your email address and what you bought, and they can look up the rest.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    . . . and then I'm going off to order my electronic pdfs!

Thanks, Giant. First, for a great artistic product that has entertained me (among many others) for several years. Second, for now making it available in electronic format.
    Update: I. Got. Mine.

FWIW, for those who haven't received the download email (or lost it), you can click on the icon in the upper right of your Gumroad screen and download them from your bookshelf there. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I know I've gushed a lot about these PDFs but I just want to go one record that after owning them for a little over 24 hours that I have become INCREDIBLY spoiled by them. Like hugely, horribly, utterly, spoiled by them.

So much that I am barely refraining from F5ing the thread to see the announcement that the other books will be available for download Real Soon Now.

These PDFs even seem to be a better quality than the KS PDFs (and those were pretty damn good).

So. Yeah. Folks don't have to buy these right now. They don't even have to buy them next week. But please please buy them when you can. I'm gonna be real bummed if these are the only ones that ever get made.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-28 at 10:53 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    stuff
    My birthday's coming up. You could always get me a present. Not a beagle. I don't care how awesome that would be.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My birthday's coming up. You could always get me a present. Not a beagle. I don't care how awesome that would be.
    Well, I wouldn't want to keep the low hanging fruit from your friends and family. Gotta leave them some easy things to get, don'tchaknow. and ixnay on the eaglebay talk. You not supposed to know about that surprise gift. ;-)

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rich -

Thanks for doing this. I'd been wanting PDF versions of these for a very long time, and to make matters even better you did them in low-DRM format (which I really appreciate). Here's hoping the sales are good enough to get more converted over to this format (especially Start of Darkness).

Of course, having read On the Origin of PCs now and seeing Roy and Durkon's initial meeting makes strip 1000 all the more poignant and depressing. In a good way, but still...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    The issue I (and probably others) have is that I already own the book and don't need another copy of it, digital or otherwise - but I'd still like to read the additional essay.

This essentially is my perspective, and a cheap price for just the extra essay would probably work for me.
    I also would like some way to get just the new commentary for cheap. I don't need another copy of the comic when I already have the book, and the new commentary alone isn't worth $15.
    Last edited by whitehelm; 2015-08-29 at 07:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

I discovered OOTS around the time of the introduction of the Linear Guild and I've only just registered on the forum..to say THANK YOU for the PDFs. Refreshing the site in anticipation for strip 1000 over and over and over - but when I saw the post about the PDFs, I went and bought both of them before I read the strip.

And they are fantastic. Great reading quality on devices large and small. I love the extra snippets here and there, as well as the retrospective comments. Absolutely superb.

17. - Top - End - #107

....bought. Porthos, I want you to know that if I stop posting sometime soon, my death is on your hands.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

....bought. Porthos, I want you to know that if I stop posting sometime soon, my death is on your hands.
    I REGRET NOTHING!!!! allusion to recent kidnapping discussion conspicuously deleted. ;)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

I am finally capitulating and releasing digital PDF versions of the Order of the Stick books. Right now, the first two books in the series are available—Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and On the Origin of PCs. You can buy them from Gumroad, a fine purveyor of ephemeral goods.
    Thank you.

Moar pleez.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why did you reletter the old comics? I like Comic Sans!
    For the same reason I relettered Blood Runs in the Family—because they were created on an old version of Adobe Illustrator, and updating to the new one caused them to burst their balloons slightly. Since I had to touch each one manually to fix it, I decided I might as well use the current font.
    I don't really have any legacy Adobe Illustrator files to test this on, and now that you've started the conversion I doubt you'll want to keep Comic Sans on any of the comics anyway, but I think you can set your speech bubbles to use the Legacy settings for area text. It should be under "Type > Area Type Options…" You'll want the "First Baseline" drop-down menu and the "Legacy" setting.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Recreator View Post
    I don't really have any legacy Adobe Illustrator files to test this on, and now that you've started the conversion I doubt you'll want to keep Comic Sans on any of the comics anyway, but I think you can set your speech bubbles to use the Legacy settings for area text. It should be under "Type > Area Type Options…" You'll want the "First Baseline" drop-down menu and the "Legacy" setting.
    I don't use Area Type. I use the regular Type tool, then draw the balloons under it on a separate layer.

EDIT: Plus, I think that only affects the actual First Baseline value anyway.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

I already stated that I thought these were great because it lets me support the comic and allows me to read the parts that were never part of the online version.

Now that I read them, I have to thank you again. I now realize so many more things about what is going on in the current plotline than I did before. Please release the rest of them ASAP as I need to know those things that are not in the main comic. I'm one of those people who absolutely love story, and I wish to support it as much as possible. Keep up the awesome and amazing work.
    -Draz

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

Rec, is that you? I haven't talked to you or seen you in ages!
    -Draz

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

This makes me immensely happy. I've been corresponding with a prisoner who has a life sentence (not unjustifiably, but he's not a bad person, he's a good person who did a very bad thing), and since he's an avid D&D fan, I've been including a few strips of Order of the Stick with each letter, with the intent of sending him the compilation books down the road so that his cell isn't cluttered with hundreds of pieces of paper. :) I own physical copies of books 2-4, but I never bought Book 1 and I've been afraid to order him the compilation book for fear that the early commentaries might contain too many spoilers about what's coming down the road. (He just met Miko; I'm so excited about how he's going to react to the Crayons of Time lore when we get there!)

Now I can order the PDF and "screen" it for spoiler content before ordering the book for him. Not to mention get to see the bonus strips I missed out on, since I love the ones in books 2-4. So yay me. ;)

Also, my copy of Book 3 had a very sad accident with coffee syrup that ruined the first forty pages, and I lost my copy of Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales (can't remember who I loaned it out to), so I'll be excited to nab those PDFs as well, when/if that becomes possible. ;)
    Last edited by Arin; 2015-08-29 at 06:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Been reading oots since its dawn. Thanks for the years of fun and for this digital copy Giant. Just purchased.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drazsyr View Post
    Rec, is that you? I haven't talked to you or seen you in ages!
    It is indeed. I've come out of hiding to offer impotent technical advice.

Sup, Draz?

And in an effort to stay loosely on-topic, I just wanna say that it's awesome to see this webcomic available in a digital format - well, another digital format. I don't always have my books handy, but I do have my iPad with me wherever I go. I'll probably pick up a copy of Book 0 once I figure out the rest of my travel expenses for the year. Or maybe I'll just skip lunch a couple of days.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

It is indeed. I've come out of hiding to offer impotent technical advice.

Sup, Draz?

And in an effort to stay loosely on-topic, I just wanna say that it's awesome to see this webcomic available in a digital format - well, another digital format. I don't always have my books handy, but I do have my iPad with me wherever I go. I'll probably pick up a copy of Book 0 once I figure out the rest of my travel expenses for the year. Or maybe I'll just skip lunch a couple of days.
    Well its good to see you up and about.
    -Draz

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just wanted to say: Thank you Giant! I wanted to get those books since forever, but buying the print version from the US would cost me about the same amount in shipping fees again, then probably taxes and customs and whatnot, once it gets to Germany, so I'm glad I can finally get (some of) them in PDF form.

I hope you're releasing the others soon as well!

Once again: Thank you!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

THANKS, GIANT!

I've got all the dead-tree versions, most autographed by Rich, and my biggest worry was accidental food/beverage spills (like Arin above). Now I can keep my preciousessss in a safe, pristine condition! No one touches my preciousessss buts me, precious...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

+Support! Prices are a *little* expensive, a couple bucks off wouldn't hurt, but I sold all the books on Ebay for charity when I had to shift to traveling again. So PDFs of Girl Genius, Erfworld, Aaron Williams's works etc. now accompany me instead, and I support every web author in producing their material in a format that works for my life.
    Woot