New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Well the thing is that we need a route in for both migrants and caravans before summer is over (it is early summer right now), and with a giant cave spider in the caverns, we can niether farm from it nor send merchies thru it. Hence the tunnel o doom. Because if we can't farm, then we NEED the caravan for food supplies, or this fort is doomed before it begins.

The other option which I will put as secondary priority to having surface access, is to wall off a section of the caverns so we can farm from it without trouble. But again, that GCS is RIGHT nearby, and the undead yak and donkey bodies from butchering our pack animals are also nearby, and would disrupt work as well. I'm not too worried about farming once the walls are up, it is getting the walls up in the first place that worries me. I mean, we need to breach/conquer the caverns at some point, but doing it with only 4 militar dorfs, none of whome have shields or armour is quite simply folly of the highest order.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    The other option which I will put as secondary priority to having surface access, is to wall off a section of the caverns so we can farm from it without trouble. But again, that GCS is RIGHT nearby, and the undead yak and donkey bodies from butchering our pack animals are also nearby, and would disrupt work as well. I'm not too worried about farming once the walls are up, it is getting the walls up in the first place that worries me. I mean, we need to breach/conquer the caverns at some point, but doing it with only 4 militar dorfs, none of whome have shields or armour is quite simply Fun of the highest order.
    Fixed that for you. I'd happily join in the fort, but I fear my inexperience (3 forts so far, all of which have starved to death) would put a quick end to things.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So why isn't it possible to just cremate animal remains to keep them from being raised from the dead?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Fixed that for you. I'd happily join in the fort, but I fear my inexperience (3 forts so far, all of which have starved to death) would put a quick end to things.
    Generally a succession game goes until the fort is completely unsalvageable (or until everybody loses interest...) If you experience an overabundance of Fun, it's not uncommon for the next player to pick up from the same save you started from- i.e. your turn is "non-canon," though it may still be amusing for the rest of us.

Also, if you're having trouble understanding farming, the wiki article on that should be helpful.

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    So why isn't it possible to just cremate animal remains to keep them from being raised from the dead?
    Did we get a crematorium in the last patch and I not notice? I have mostly been playing adventure mode. Even if we had one though, we have nothing in the way of fuel. I brought about 20 lumber since we were embarking on a glacier, but using that for fuel seems wasteful to say the least. There are trees in the caverns, but there is also our friend the GCS down there. Half the problem is killing the damn undead in the first place. The other half is disposing of the bodies. In the test runs I did of breaching the surface, even with all 7 of us drafted, we get slaughtered inside of 30 seconds.

edit: right. Lava. I knew that. in short: too much digging between now and the fall caravan.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-13 at 05:19 PM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

6. - Top - End - #66

DwarfFighterGuy

okay. journal as well as new pics including profiles.

1st of Malachite: I have ordered the creation of a tunnel wide enough to accomodate wagons be dug through the ice to the surface. While I left the end of it unbreached, my plan is to put a series of drawbridges along the tunnel, some falling flat on the surface of the ice to crush intruders underneath their weight, others with a drop under them where we can catch invaders and use them for target practice for any marksdwarves that we have in the future. Fortifications will have to be dug as well, and I plan to set up an area that one day can house a battery of ballistae for defence of the tunnel, but for now the tunnel must simply be secure yet able to allow access to the wagons of the Mountainhome caravan.

Our current fort and the surface tunnel.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The dorfs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnoman:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Griff:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Myself:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Leecros:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Luzahn:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Schylerwalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Shpadoinkle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Shpadoinkle:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Damn it guys, I told you, I will butcher the meat as many times as I bloody will have to before I cook it, okay? Relax!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Nooo! My ear!

9. - Top - End - #69

DwarfFighterGuy

8th of Malachite: Mirgrants! Six of them. We had to game opening up the walls, but the undead reindeer had moved on to haunt other areas, and it was a simple matter to dispatch the few zombie birds that were pestering the dwarves who had come to join us. Once they were safely underground again, we sealed ourselves off.

Spoiler
    Show

2nd of Limestone. Work has proceeded apace on the expansion of the living areas, the tunnel to the surface, and most fortunately of all, farms. Sand was found while carving out the tunnel for the wagons, and farm plots were placed. Food shall no longer be a worry, but drink is another matter. Our stocks have run low, and I am worried that we will be without drink until the first harvest comes in and gives us food to brew. If the situation gets too dire, I will order the caverns opened so that we can survive on water until more alcohol can be brewed.

5th of Sandstone. A second cavern layer was breached in an exploratory shaft, this one without giant cave spiders, water, or the undead corpses that we had tossed into the first. We have struck our first metal ore: cobaltine. While it will be good for making crafts and furniture, it will be of no use for the most important of works; armour and weaponry. We have been without booze for a week now. We tighten our belts, but I have not yet gotten so thirty and desperate as to risk the cavern.

Spoiler
    Show

ooc: okay, so everyone who is posting in the thread has been named and we have plenty of dorfs left over. I am going to continue my turn tomorrow, and see if I can keep us from dieing of thirst. yeah, an undead raven got the ear early on when everyone but the miners and one hauler were on guard to fight undead while we evacuated the wagon stuff underground.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-13 at 10:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hmm, our first Metal Ore being Cobaltite is unfortunate...But i suppose we can use the crafts from it to buy more valuable materials from the traders.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, we can always use an herbalist for some interim alcohol.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Remember, we can always use an herbalist for some interim alcohol.
    On the glacier, or underground, right next to the slavering giant cave spider?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    On the glacier, or underground, right next to the slavering giant cave spider?
    We were going to get cave water anyway. Might as well grab some herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Hmm, our first Metal Ore being Cobaltite is unfortunate...But i suppose we can use the crafts from it to buy more valuable materials from the traders.
    And Cobaltite isn't a metal, it just has the character of one. It shouldn't count against us.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-14 at 10:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

DwarfFighterGuy

10th of Sandstone: Migrants. Again six. The mountainhomes clearly know that we need manpower, but with our complete lack of booze, and the water in the caverns not yet opened up, I fear that this might be more of a hinderance than a blessing, at least until the caravans come. I have ordered the bridges lowered so that they might enter, and hope that they have the good sense to get underground before the undead get to them. Alas it was not to be. Only four made it underground safely, the other two, a child and a miller. I am considering putting tunnels under the ice to all corners of our territory so that future migrants will be able to enter our fort without having to spend as much time on the surface exposed to the undead. This will also give our military the ability to respond tactically to any future threats. These tunnels will be dug after we secure our water supply.

Spoiler
    Show

21st of Sandstone: The cavern has been breached and a water supply marked off, well away from the undead and the giant cave spider webs. I have ordered it to be walled off from the rest of the cavern so we don't have to worry about dwarves coming under attack as they go to drink. Until the farms can catch up with demand, it will have to do.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

DwarfFighterGuy

2nd of Timber: Opened up the drawbridges today in anticipation of the fall caravan while work was progressing on the other bridges. Grif, unsurprisingly, was interrupted by the dead. We put an end to it quickly enough. I ordered the body tossed into the deeps and a slab carved so that the restless spirit doesn't raise as a ghost to haunt us like its body already does. I also ordered bone armour crafted, as for the time being it looks as if we will lack any proper metal with which to make it. While far from adequate, it is better than nothing.

Spoiler
    Show

13th of Timber: Finally! The merchants are here! I order our meager supply of goods moved to the trade depot so that we might finally get booze again. While the wagons are proceeding in good order to the entrance tunnel, the outpost liaison is running around in circles being chased by one of the dread zombie ravens. The caravan guards seem to be ignoring this problem, and as they are much better armed and armoured than we are, so the liaison will be on his own for the moment. And as I write this, the guards just opened up with a crossbow, so it looks like that raven is going to go down and our liaison will be safe after all.

Spoiler
    Show

The macedwarf who moves in to support the marksdwarf learns why we fear the surface as the foul beast brakes his shoulder and would have slain him outright were it not for his fellow the axedwarf. What I wouldn't give for some of that armour though. Strangely, the guards leave their fallen comrade on the field, and as I see more undead close in on him, I have no choice but to order the gates closed. I do not care to think of how we will face an undead dwarven warrior armed with the finest iron weapons and armour.

14th of Moonstone: While the trading did not go as I would have hoped, we ended up with almost 100 drinks worth of alcohol, several dozen plants that are brewable, some iron bars, a steel helm for the military, and a couple of cloth bins for clothing and bandages assuming we ever get an immigrant doctor, something I will be sure to have Gnoman mention in his meeting with the liaison. Although our "expedition leader" has mostly recovered from the shock of encountering the undead, and has been a pretty good sparring partner, we both know he is still a figurehead right now and I am the one getting all of the real work done. Once I feel that we are more militarily secure, I might hand power back into civilian hands, but for the time being, it seems as if we are bouncing from one crisis to the next with no respite. Speaking of which, as the merchants were preparing to leave, it had come to my attention that the poor macedwarf who had been abandoned on the surface had crawled his way to the entrance and was pounding on the drawbridge when the ravens finally caught up with him. Rather than let him raise as an undead horror, I immediately ordered the bridge lowered, crushing the dwarf and undead both. A slab will be erected for him. Our trade agreement with the mountainhomes is as follows:
    Spoiler
    Show

17th of Moonstone: PRAISE THE MINERS! While digging what were to be exploratory shafts for iron or other economic metals, they broke through to a third cavern layer which contained a magma pool, a shaft to the great magma sea, and most importantly of all, raw adamantine. My only worry is that we lack any strand extractors of a smith experienced enough with the crafting of arms and armour to be worthy of working such material. Even worse, we don't even have any fuel for the forges that we haven't built. I don't know if I should laugh or weep. I have ordered it to be dug out where it is safe, and a drawbridge constructed to wall off our stairways from the cavern beasts, should they grow bold.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16th of Opal. A gremlin has come up from the caverns, attacking the dwarves in the great hall. This is precisely why I ordered the bridge built. Sadly, it was still under construction and this little fiend must have slipped past. While I personally led the charge to slay the little beast, it quickly slipped back down to the deeps from whence it came.

14th of Obsidian: A terrible roar was heard from below today, a roar that shook the entire fortress from the deep diggings to the icy glacier above. A horrible beast was seen in the darkness of the cavern. I fear for all of our lives, and have ordered that layer of the caves sealed. We can't hope to defeat such a monster.
    Spoiler
    Show

25th of Obsidian: Tradition dictates that each overseer only serve a yearly term, and my year is almost up. The horrible beast is walled away from us, and our fortress is secure. Unfortunately, the adamantine ore had to be abandoned when we raised the protective bridge in the bottommost caverns. Should my successor require access to it, the levers that control it and the other bridge are all labeled quite clearly. While I do not think I was the leader that Domainstaves would have wanted were it to create great projects and grand constructions, I was the leader that we needed to found our fort here at all. We are a long ways from a year ago when we cowered in a hole dug in the ice, wondering if we would survive at all. The crisis we have faced and bested are testament to this, and while I do not think our future here will be an easy one, we at least HAVE a future. I gave us that much. For now, I shall command the Artifacts of Creation, and see who the populace wills to lead them next.
    Spoiler
    Show

ooc: okay, save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6920

and Holy beard of Armok. cavern layers ALL right on top of each other, adamantine, a forgotten beast both in the first year. This map is NUTS.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-14 at 03:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    And Cobaltite isn't a metal, it just has the character of one. It shouldn't count against us.
    I'm fairly sure that it counts as a "Metal" as far as the number of metals in an embark region is concerned. I could be wrong, i'm no master of dwarf fortress, but i guess we'll find out if we find another metal or not. In my experiences when embarking with a single shallow metal and striking Cobaltite....i don't find any other but cobaltite. I also haven't played a serious DF2012 fort yet though so that may have been remedied.

well done iyaerP, the fortress' base is set up with a huge amount of potential. If the next overseer clears out the third cavern layer and masters the power of magma it will greatly help the cause against the undead.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2012-09-14 at 04:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, again, if you're going to have the time to dedicate a few hours to the fort in the next few days, make a post stating so and 24 hours after this post I'll select a random player from those eligible. I am of course submitting myself as eligible for a turn, and the first post in this thread will be updated as turns are completed.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-14 at 04:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Okay, again, if you're going to have the time to dedicate a few hours to the fort in the next few days, make a post stating so and 24 hours after this post I'll select a random player from those eligible. I am of course submitting myself as eligible for a turn, and the first post in this thread will be updated as turns are completed.
    I am able.

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfFighterGuy

Yeah, I would have been willing to risk trying to tackle the megabeast except that it is made of stone and has webs. And with 5 total military-skilled dwarves (our 4 starters who had training and one migrant), webs would be a death sentence. Actually, now that I am not the one responsible for making sure the fort LIVES, let's give it a try ....

Oh, one thing I just noticed for whoever is overseer next, I took gnoman out of the military because he wasn't meeting witht he liasion because of training. He should probably go back in. I forgot to do that. I also forgot to give people equipment beyond their weapons once the bonecrafter finished his work as something distracted me at the time.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, ONLY CLICK IF YOU KNOW ALREADY
    Spoiler
    Show

So I decided to keep looking for some other metal in hopes that this for will be able to field more than just a pittance of a mililtary, even if that pittance CAN be armed with adamantine, and I accidentally unleashed hell. Because apparently, this world is only like 25 Zlevels between hell and the very top of our glacier. so yeah. be careful. although what ended up happening is allt he steam deamons came right after a wave of migrants, and as they were melting my dorfs, the various fires they started caused the ice ramps down into the fort to melt and then refreeze over. so I have a walled off section of the fort and the ice population just under the surface (which is also where the farm conveniently is), and the 20 someodd dwarves who got stuck down there are waging this neverending war of zombie dorf vs deamon.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-14 at 06:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, time's up (actually it was up about half an hour ago), so next turn goes to... Luzahn.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Just posting to say that this has been an enjoyable read so far and that i wish the fortress well

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer's Log, 1st Granite 102:

Bah, we're in a sorry state here. Our previous overseer has done a fine job, but this constant siege by the undead strains our resources and manpower. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done about this now, with our lack of metals.

As head smith of the fortress, our first order of business is to find something capable of arming our dwarves, at whi....

Eh? By Armok, our water source is vulnerable! Flying beasts look to be able to go over or under our walls. First order of business, set up a well.

15th Granite 102:

Our liaison from the Mountainhomes has been stricken by melancholy for some blighted reason. I suppose some dwarves can't take an environment like this, squatting in a frozen, haunted cave. Traitors.

In less grim news, our recent cave monster appears to be locked into an eternal struggle with the corpse of a migrant. I see no reason to disrupt this, though it could be worth dropping a rock on its head to plunder its silk. Monstercloth must be worth a fortune to those squishy little city-dwellers without a deathwish.

Spoiler
    Show

20th Slate 102:

We've just had a large influx of migrants, Armok knows why. We're up to 49 citizens now. Hopefully we'll have enough food to care for them. I would have left the ones who can't pull their own weights to the undead, but that would only swell their numbers.

In other news, Leecros has been possessed, and is rounding up random stones to build...something. At least he isn't impeding the new well.

Spoiler
    Show

1st Felsite 102:

Leecros has completed his project, a mudstone millstone. Well, at least it has a use and he didn't wind up killing us all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-16 at 03:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

but.....but.....I wanted to kill everyone.

24. - Top - End - #84

DwarfFighterGuy

ooooh. I just realized that the liason went crazy because I forgot to open the gates and let him out. whooops.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ooooh. I just realized that the liason went crazy because I forgot to open the gates and let him out. whooops.
    Yeah, I didn't realize how upright bridges work, usually I just use retractable. I think I ended up atom smashing the liaison, so that worked out. I may convert our entrance hall into a pit - retractable as well, so we can just shoot trapped invaders.

Now that the infrastructure is improved, I may start some more exploratory mining. Our lack of metal is concerning.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-16 at 08:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfFighterGuy

I did upright bridges, because the undead ravens that we have oh so many of will just fly over retractable ones.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer's Log, 15th Felsite 102:

We've got an elven caravan incoming. Blasted useless elves don't even have guards. Or wagons!

Well, at least it'll be easy to slay their corpses. And we can always use more cloth.

20th Felsite 102:

Well, they made it in. I suppose that will prevent war with the pointy ones, but now we'll need to actually buy their junk.

Argh! It's a...thing. Looks like a goblin. Well, let's kill it.
    (By the way, how does our zombie pit work?)

Bah. Damned elves have left. Apparently our crates have offended them. I'm debating just killing them and taking their supplies.

9th Hematite 102:

Argh! The beast has wings!? It's flown up the hole in the northeastern corner of the garbage room! I had thought that the last overseer left that there as a disposal chute. Looks like it was an oversight. Foolish.

We barricade the doors. All local dwarves are being drafted into a wall construction detail. We will seal the beast away.

Spoiler
    Show

He looks to not have come through the well; The floodgate is still intact. Will be installing a sealing mechanism over the well room door regardless.

3rd Malachite 102:

We've lost Ducim Ogbomrek to a falcon corpse. A small price to pay to secure our migrants, but a sad one. Hopefully our disposal mechanism can be constructed before he rises again.

iyaerP has fallen, alongside the worthless elves and a few recruits. we have managed to seal their remains into the farms, until they can be dealt with. A dark day for the fortress.

A surviving recruit has managed to barricade the farms from the rest of the corpses. A new passage will be dug, and our food supply remains secure.

Grif was fortunate. He wound up imprisoned by a pair of bridges, and can be evacuated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-18 at 02:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, it used to be just an open hole in the garbage stockpile that opened to the caverns, but when the forgotton beast came, I walled it off because I didn't want him flying up into it. Now that he is stuck in a neverending fight with zombies, I suppose you could re-open the wall where I had sealed it, and just put down a new pit zone and designate any corpse that you want not to come back and bother us again for dumping.

Alternatively, just make a drawbridge that raises and lowers linked to a lever that you drop corpses down onto and just atom-smash. I just did the pit to the caverns because it was convenient, and I didn't have time to make a whole new setup with zombies constantly reanimating inside of our fortress.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

iyaerP, you want a redorfing or a reload?

30. - Top - End - #90

DwarfFighterGuy

Huh. I thought I had sealed all the holes.... (scrutinizes images). Damn, I never even noticed that one.

Just redorf me. casualties are a normal part of any fort.Just don't lower the drawbridge. that would crush grif. You'll have to dig him out.