New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Varient Healing Domain (3.5, PEACH)

As it stands, I don't like the healing domain. I think giving clerics access to cure spells through a domain is much like opening bill gates a bank account and putting a fiver in there once in a while. More cash is always a bit nice, but when you have more money than you need, that little bit extra isn't going to make much difference.

So here's my proposal. The healing domain should be more about being a first aid kit, rather than a box of plasters (band-aids, whatever your regional parlance is).

Healing Domain
    Granted power: Clerics roll d10s instead of d8s when casting cure spells

1- Gentle Repose
    2- Remove Blindness/ Deafness
    3- Remove Disease
    4- Neutralise Poison
    5- Revivify (Spell Compendium)
    6- Heal
    7- Regenerate
    8- Heal (Mass)
    9- True Resurrection

The granted power averages out to about the same, however it doesn't cap its usefulness at level 5 when cure light wounds puts an arbitrary caster level cap on its bonus. Couple of spells granted a little earlier, but then other domains do much the same thing.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2009-12-19 at 04:53 AM.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Varient Healing Domain (3.5, PEACH)

I don't think mass heal should be available before level 9.

I don't really agree with Gentle Repose either but i can buy it i guess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'd give it the spell compendium spells Panacaea and perhaps Healing Lorecall. While the removes are actually also very fitting, they still have to compete for a domain slot and thus are less likely to be utilized.

Other healing spells that aren't cure X wounds may also be options, such as healing spirit(PHB2), or Darts of Life(Complete Champion). I actually find revivify to be a kind of weird option.

I do like the flavor of using d10s instead of d8s to heal with, but I don't think that's actually too much of an effect. Perhaps have it grant you the complete divine's augment healing feat? Or maybe even just grant you the same effect.

Although it looks like you're trying mostly to stick to core, which is also cool. Perhaps aid as a first level spell? Could play merry havoc with wands and the like, but aid could work at first.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis
    I don't think mass heal should be available before level 9.
    I tried to stick to core and couldn't really find anything appropriate. Alternatives in core might be Clone, though that's a little... icky. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis
    I don't really agree with Gentle Repose either but i can buy it i guess.
    My logic was that level 1 parties don't really have any way to deal with party deaths. Gentle repose at least allows you to preserve a party-member's corpse so that they can be ressurected later. While I know it's not ideal, mechanically (costs a bomb, -2 con), it is at least appropriate for RP reasons (giving them a proper burial) and has some utlity in storing food.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin
    Other healing spells that aren't cure X wounds may also be options, such as healing spirit(PHB2), or Darts of Life(Complete Champion). I actually find revivify to be a kind of weird option.
    I'm not actually very familiar with the spell compendium, despite owning a copy. I usually use it to occasionally suppliment the core spells, but I'll have a look at those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin
    I do like the flavor of using d10s instead of d8s to heal with, but I don't think that's actually too much of an effect. Perhaps have it grant you the complete divine's augment healing feat? Or maybe even just grant you the same effect.
    Using d10s instead of d8s has exactly the same effect as the Healing Domain's +1 caster level, except it doesn't stop working when you reach the cure spells' (+caster level, max X). It means that on average a level 5 cleric with the healing domain will do an extra 1 point of healing with cure light wounds than a level 5 cleirc without the healing domain, rather than exactly the same, as current.

From what I remember, the Augment Healing feat is the one in which extra effects are added, based on your domains? What was the bonus from the healing domain? I don't have complete divine on me at the moment.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Core? I'm drawing a blank. Except for the obvious mass cure critical, which doesn't help you much i'm sure

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Augment healing adds a bonus to hp healed by conjuration (healing) spells based on their spell level. Also in Unearthed Arcana there was talk about variant spontaneous clerics who if they had the Healing Domain instead of new spells added to their list they got to use d12s instead of d8s for cure spells; a +2/spell level (max +8) would be far from game breaking. d10s actually is better than +1 CL adding +1/spell level (max +4 as 5th+ level ones just repeat in mass effects) to how much you heal.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    My logic was that level 1 parties don't really have any way to deal with party deaths. Gentle repose at least allows you to preserve a party-member's corpse so that they can be ressurected later.
    By "later" you mean several levels later, right? At lower levels, It's unlikely for players to find much ressurrection magic.

This is an idea I had bumbling for an while: Make Revivify be a 3rd level spell, Rise Dead a 6th level spell, and Ressurrection a 9th level spell, and leave True ressurrection be availiable only to deities or epic level. You get a useful but not overpowered spell earlier, and more powerful later.

The granted power is good.

For the first level spell... hmm... Dunno. Vigor, maybe?

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Augment healing adds a bonus to hp healed by conjuration (healing) spells based on their spell level. Also in Unearthed Arcana there was talk about variant spontaneous clerics who if they had the Healing Domain instead of new spells added to their list they got to use d12s instead of d8s for cure spells; a +2/spell level (max +8) would be far from game breaking. d10s actually is better than +1 CL adding +1/spell level (max +4 as 5th+ level ones just repeat in mass effects) to how much you heal.
    I'm fairly sure I can say that said feat is in NWN2 and that version is recorded here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The only problem with your domain spells is that the spell level should match the domain level. Gentle repose isn't a first level spell and I don't think it should be a first level domain spell either. This is exactly why cure light wounds is the first domain spell on the Healing list. If you can find another first level spell that could substitute, then I would consider using your domain. Heck, you could even add homebrewed spells to this if you wanted. I'm just concerned about power balance. Also, gentle repose can only be cast on dead creatures. This would not exactly be my first pick for a domain spell.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-01-02 at 09:25 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think there is precident in Core for a domain granting access to a spell at a lower level than it is otherwise availible, but I might be mistaken.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I think there is precident in Core for a domain granting access to a spell at a lower level than it is otherwise availible, but I might be mistaken.
    There is. Let me go find one...

EDIT: Fire Storm
    Level: Clr 8, Drd 7, Fire 7

Hmm... could've sworn there were more.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-01-02 at 12:35 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe grant lesser Vigour as the Level 1 Spell. Not very useful at Level 1, but you can still turn it into a CLW if you need to.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You can't do spontanious casting from domain slots... unless it isn't spontanious casting and that is a property of Lesser Vigor ?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A possible domain granted power could be the ability to spontaneously convert domain spell slot into cure spells, so you could prepare more of the other domain's spells while still having more access to healing. If your going to end up playing a heal bot anyway, your effectively getting an extra cure spell each level that could always be used for the other domain.
    Help my dragons!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.