New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Star-guided blade of crimson [3.5 PrC, ToB]

The Crimson Banner Executor

"The stars have but one more battle for you. Do you wish for it to be so soon?" – Athenael Who Bleeds the Edge of Dawn, Crimson Banner Executor

The Crimson Banner are school of martial adepts that take the military precept of "know your enemy" to its ultimate conclusion. The students of the school originally practised astrology, and used it to determine what their opponents will do before their opponents decide to do it.

Their studies into fate and destiny have since advanced beyond mere astrology. The accuracy of their readings have improved a thousandfold in the century since the school was founded, and the students are taught techniques to accelerate their readings so that they can be utilised in the heat of battle. This training, combined with the unorthodox disciplines the school chooses to teach, results in a flowing combat style whose practitioners dodge blows and avoid parries with unerring ease.

However, the powers of the school have come at a price. The school's teachers were only able to achieve their foreknowledge by bargaining with an entity of unknown origin. In exchange for their combat prescience, the school must end the lives of those who have cheated their destiny and avoided their death. For this reason, the school's tutors refined their techniques yet further and trained their most trusted in the new arts. These elite were the first Crimson Banner Executors, and the Crimson Banner Masters use them to execute any who would cheat death.

HD: d8

Requirements
    Alignment: Any lawful.
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Escape Artist 4 ranks, Profession (astrologer) 4, Tumble 9
    Feats: Adaptive Style
    Maneuvers: Must have knowledge of three maneuvers of the Diamond Mind discipline, including one stance.
    Special: The character must at some point have used Profession (astrologer) to correctly determine that they would join the Crimson Banner in the future, and then proceeded to join the martial school.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Martial Lore, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble
    Skill points per level: 6 + Intelligence modifier, minimum 1.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
    1st
    +1
    +0
    +2
    +2
    Alacritous Prophecy 1/day, Panoply of Crimson
    2nd
    +2
    +0
    +3
    +3
    Mercurial Trismegistus Stance
    3rd
    +3
    +1
    +3
    +3
    Forewarned is Forearmed
    4th
    +4
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Alacritous Prophecy 2/day
    5th
    +5
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Inevitable Decree of Saturn
    6th
    +6
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Predictive Forethought
    7th
    +7
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Alacritous Prophecy 3/day
    8th
    +8
    +2
    +6
    +6
    Deadly Forethought
    9th
    +9
    +3
    +6
    +6
    Foresight Without Bounds
    10th
    +10
    +3
    +7
    +7
    Alacritous Prophecy 4/day, Crimson Dance of Mars

Level Man. Known Man. Readied Stances Known
    1st 1 0 0
    2nd 0 0 0
    3rd 1 1 1
    4th 0 0 0
    5th 1 0 0
    6th 0 1 1
    7th 1 0 0
    8th 0 0 0
    9th 1 1 1
    10th 0 1 0

Class Features
    All the following are class features of the Crimson Banner Executor.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Crimson Executors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all light and medium armour.

Maneuvers: At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, a Crimson Executor gains new maneuvers known from the Army of One, Coin’s Edge, Dancing Leaf, Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Crimson Executor levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Army of One, Coin’s Edge, Dancing Leaf, Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet the stance’s prerequisites to learn it.

Alacritous Prophecy (Ex): 1/day, the Crimson Executor can declare a combat to be preordained. The Executor must make a Profession (astrologer) check (DC 10 + character level). If the Profession check succeeds, then the battle becomes preordained, providing the Executor with a number of benefits. Whilst in a preordained battle, the Crimson Executor may reroll any damage rolls of 1 and can choose to force any opponents damage dice that rolled their highest possible result to be rerolled. Furthermore, once per preordained encounter, they may elect to have one of their own or one of their allies’ d20 rolls to be treated as a non-natural 20, or one of their opponent’s d20 rolls to be treated as a 1. This ability does not allow the Crimson Executor to reroll a given die more than once. The Crimson Executor gains an additional use of this ability per day at 4th level and every three levels thereafter.

Panoply of Crimson (Ex): At first level, the Crimson Executor gains access to the prophetic techniques of the Crimson Banner, refining his astrology until it can be conducted within a heartbeat under a starless sky. If the Crimson Executor possesses the AC Bonus class feature can be utilised whilst wearing medium armour. If the Crimson Executor possesses the battle clarity, battle ardour, battle cunning, battle skill and/or battle mastery class features, then those class features now function off her Wisdom modifier rather than her Intelligence modifier. In addition, her Profession (astrologer) checks now use double her Wisdom modifier, rather than just her Wisdom modifier, and no longer require her to be able to see the stars to function. Furthermore, the Crimson Executor may select one weapon that is favoured by the Army of One, Coin’s Edge, Dancing Leaf, Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. Henceforth, the Crimson Executor may utilise her Wisdom modifier on attack and damage rolls with that weapon, rather than her Strength modifier.

Mercurial Trismegistus Stance (Su): At 2nd level, the Crimson Executor learns how to apply the wisdom of Mercury-Hermes-Thoth to the battlefield in the form of a martial stance. They may take a swift action to lose the benefits of their current stance to gain the benefits of this one. Whilst in this stance, the Crimson Executor may use the result of a Profession (astrologer) check in place of their AC against one attack per round as an immediate free action. Furthermore, they may exchange their d20 result with that of their opponent’s in an opposed check. This stance is considered to belong to both the Diamond Mind and Coin’s Edge disciplines.

Forewarned is Forearmed (Sp): At 3rd level, the Crimson Executor’s predictions begin to become unnervingly accurate. Once per day per point of Wisdom bonus, the Crimson Executor may make a Profession (astrologer) check to gain the benefits of a divination spell. The result of the check determines the spell duplicated. If the Crimson Executor's check is high enough to use scrying, he may also cast one of detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law or detect magic. If the check is high enough for greater scrying, then the Crimson Executor may utilise two of these additional spells, and also adds read magic and tongues to the list of possible sensor spells.

Check Result Spell Duplicated
    15 or lower Augury
    16-25 Commune
    26-30 Scrying plus one ‘sensor’ spell
    31-35 Greater Scrying plus two 'sensor' spells
    36 or higher Discern location

Inevitable Decree of Saturn (Su): At 5th level, the Crimson Executor gains access to a unique martial strike much like those granted to martial adepts. This strike must be recovered and readied to use, just like any maneuver, and is considered to belong to the Diamond Mind and Coin’s Edge Disciplines.

Initiating this strike is a standard action. As part of this strike, you make a normal melee attack. If your attack hits, your target must make a Will save (DC 10 + class level + Wis modifier) or have their AC count as 10 against the next attack made against them.

Predictive Forethought (Ex): At 6th level, the Crimson Executor’s predictions allow her to know exactly what to expect, allowing her to prepare ahead. The Crimson Executor may now use the Adaptive Style feat to exchange her readied maneuvers in combat as a standard action.

Deadly Forethought (Ex): At 8th level, the Crimson Executor’s foreknowledge of his opponents becomes exceedingly fine, and knows where, when and how they will place themselves in combat. The Crimson Executor may take a move action to make a Profession (astrologer) check to determine the immanent positions of one creature within 60ft, providing the Crimson Executor with an insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against the target creature. The result of the check determines the size of the bonus.

Check Result Bonus Granted
    15 or lower
    +1
    16-25
    +2
    26-30
    +3
    31-35
    +4
    36 or higher
    +5

Foresight Without Bounds (Ex): At 9th level, the Crimson Executor’s predictions have reached such refinement that she may use the Adaptive Style feat to exchange her readied maneuvers in combat as a move action.

Crimson Dance of Mars (Ex): At 10th level, the Crimson Executor has discovered a means of channelling the essence of Mars and all that it represents into her fighting style. They may take a swift action to lose the benefits of their current stance to gain the benefits of this one. Whilst in the Crimson Dance of Mars stance, the Crimson Executor can take a 5ft step after every attack she makes in a full attack. In addition, every time she makes a successful attack that deals damage, her target must make a Fort save (DC 10 + class level + Wis modifier) or take 1 point of Con damage and become flat-footed. This stance is considered to belong to the Diamond Mind and Coin’s Edge disciplines.
    Last edited by Edge; 2015-04-18 at 05:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Star-guided blade of crimson [3.5 PrC, ToB]

Need to specify that "Alacritous Prophecy" only lets you re-roll a given die once.

battle clarity, battle ardour, battle cunning, battle skill and/or battle mastery class features" <- I recommend the underlined change.

More to come later... maybe...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-01-25 at 05:26 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Done and done.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, shades of the weavers from Wanted. Is there any mechanical aspect to their duty of seeking out those who cheat death? Also maybe some degree of further specification as to what that means? Does it mean Elans or undead or what?

The stance progression is strange. It looks like 1 on every odd level but then 9th is skipped. Is there some reason for that?

In general, the large number of additional stances combined with large number of additional maneuvers makes me slightly worried balance-wise. 5 additional maneuvers readied in 10 levels is a lot.

a dreadcloak gains new maneuvers known
    I presume this is from a c&p from your earlier class.

Is there a reason they require 9 ranks in concentration and tumble? I'm not sure why they have a large tumble requirement at all. And it might make more sense in any case to reduce this to 8 ranks so that people can pick the class up at 5 rather than 6 if they choose.

Under "Forewarned if Forearmed" you talk about including "sensor" spells. I'm not sure what that means. You may want to be more explicit there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hmm, shades of the weavers from Wanted.
    Not familiar with them, so I cannot comment.

Is there any mechanical aspect to their duty of seeking out those who cheat death? Also maybe some degree of further specification as to what that means? Does it mean Elans or undead or what?
    To be honest, it's just fluff that I cam up with off the top of my head as I was posting the class. Might develop it.

The stance progression is strange. It looks like 1 on every odd level but then 9th is skipped. Is there some reason for that?
    I had a reason for that, but I seem to have forgotten what it was. It might be because they get maneuver exchange as a move action at 9th level. I figured that was worth giving up a stance for at that level.

In general, the large number of additional stances combined with large number of additional maneuvers makes me slightly worried balance-wise. 5 additional maneuvers readied in 10 levels is a lot.
    It's the same progression as a swordsage, give or take a couple of things (like the missing stance). Given all the class features, I'll slow it up some.

I presume this is from a c&p from your earlier class.
    Yes indeed. Fixing now.

Is there a reason they require 9 ranks in concentration and tumble? I'm not sure why they have a large tumble requirement at all. And it might make more sense in any case to reduce this to 8 ranks so that people can pick the class up at 5 rather than 6 if they choose.
    Concentration is for the focus required to conduct their combat prophecies. Also, they require Diamond Mind maneuvers to enter, so it's an easily met requirement. Tumble is for the agility required for the school's fluid combat style.

Under "Forewarned if Forearmed" you talk about including "sensor" spells. I'm not sure what that means. You may want to be more explicit there.
    The spells that scrying and greater scrying note can be cast through the scrying sensor. Will add more detail.
    Last edited by Edge; 2010-01-26 at 02:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Edge;7769078]Not familiar with them, so I cannot comment.
    [QUOTE]

In the movie, there's a group of people who work for a mysterious higher power or something like that. They are given instruction to kill certain people whose deaths will prevent the deaths of many others.

It's the same progression as a swordsage, give or take a couple of things (like the missing stance). Given all the class features, I'll slow it up some.
    Thing is, swordsage doesn't have much in the way of class features which is why it is more ok there. So yeah, your response makes perfect sense.

Concentration is for the focus required to conduct their combat prophecies. Also, they require Diamond Mind maneuvers to enter, so it's an easily met requirement. Tumble is for the agility required for the school's fluid combat style.
    Ok. Makes sense. Still not sure why so many ranks are necessary. 8 would still be traditional.

The spells that scrying and greater scrying note can be cast through the scrying sensor. Will add more detail.
    D'oh. Should have realized that. Anyways, overall I like this class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Ok. Makes sense. Still not sure why so many ranks are necessary. 8 would still be traditional.
    With the BAB requirement of +4, swordsages can get in after level 6. The skill requirements can be met at that level. Just a means of ensuring that swordsages and warblades get in at the same level, rather than warblades getting in a level early. This is supposed to be a swordsage-centric PrC, so I didn't want warblades to be able to get in earlier. I hope that makes sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    With the BAB requirement of +4, swordsages can get in after level 6. The skill requirements can be met at that level. Just a means of ensuring that swordsages and warblades get in at the same level, rather than warblades getting in a level early. This is supposed to be a swordsage-centric PrC, so I didn't want warblades to be able to get in earlier. I hope that makes sense.
    Yes. That makes a lot of sense. And swordsage centric fits well with the fluff.