New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Halloween culture of your country?

OP here, and I can't say as I 'like' candy corn much, but it's nothing gross. It's just that, a type of flavored and hardened corn syrup. Butterscotch like flavor.

Toffee I've never tasted, but I've been told it's nothing like caramel. Caramel for apples is usually quite soft and not very chewy. More like congealed honey, and not sure how to describe taste, except it goes amazingly well with apples and brings out their flavor.
    Apparently some twits 'did' put razor blades in them, but you take one bite and know, so no one has ever swallowed one or died from them. Worst reported case was a guy who got a couple stitches in his gums.

Both though are as much 'Autumn' treats as they are Halloween though.

In my neck of the south U.S. TPing happens pretty often, but I've never heard of anyone actually being egged. Then again, TPing is mainly an ugly, if harmless prank, while egging can cause damage. Egg around here you'll probably get shot.
    Last edited by Silkspinner; 2012-10-21 at 02:41 AM.
    @}--,--'-- The Angels That Fell Sideways --,--'--{@

(Come in, Read, Critique)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I meant there was less OF the malicious stuff, like smashing pumpkins.
    Ohhh gotcha.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like butterscotch flavour, but candy corn is just kind of nasty, in my opinion. I think I said that.
    And I've never really liked candy apples or caramel apples. The flavours and textures just don't go together well for me.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Heck, isn't there some kind of television show about tossing a pumpkin as far as possible with a trebuchet before it breaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Autumn celebrations (which would be around March-May) are very local, if they happen at all. I think the town where I went to uni had an autumn festival, and they were particularly proud of the colour of the autumn leaves they got. Other towns no doubt have their own, but there's definitely nothing even close to as national nor as culturally-ingrained as the US's Halloween.
    Yeah, but those are hardly native trees.

But I said the same, except I saw this and then this. Maybe it's catching on.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

6. - Top - End - #66

Hm. Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand: yay opportunities to dress up! On the other, blegh ever-more Americanisation
    I think the problem is that Australia hasn't really developed its own traditions. We have Australia Day, and... That's about it. Even look at Christmas, we could have an amazing unique set of traditions for a summer festival, and instead we're still doing raindeer and canned snow. I'd like to see us stop trying to recreate pale imitations of the traditions of others, and start creating our own.

Oh hey, where'd this soapbox come from?

7. - Top - End - #67

BlackDragon

I'd like to see us stop trying to recreate pale imitations of the traditions of others, and start creating our own.
    Well, get going then! It's not going to happen unless at least one person starts it off...

8. - Top - End - #68

Hey, I've already declared mangoes and prawns to be the fundamentals of an Australian Christmas!
    There seems to be some small tradition of having dress-up parties for Earth Day, so there's that...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the after Christmas swim, great to do Christmas night if it's been hot all day. And there's New Years Eve when we explode the harbour bridge.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    There's also the after Christmas swim, great to do Christmas night if it's been hot all day. And there's New Years Eve when we explode the harbour bridge.
    If only you did it for real, and the Opera House as well .

I'll devise a plan to blow up that stupid eyesore called The Sky Tower up north in Auckland if you do .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

What? We would never do that!

My Blog The Level 1 GM

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In my experience there is no Halloween activity in Shanghai, or probably anywhere in China. Expats with kids might observe it, but Chinese don't. There is a push among employers of English teachers to try and get them to dress up for Halloween, but hell with that, they don't pay anywhere near enough to put up the the crap from the rest of the population to give a few kids a laugh.

In the States, I put Halloween as my favorite holiday. And why not? It's a nationally approved day for adults to dress up in crazy getups and walk the streets without people thinking they're crazy/dangerous/mentally ill. And candy. Then there's the Halloween parties where you can see other people in crazy getups, drink booze if you're so inclined, and generally have a good time. And candy.

Did I mention the candy?
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

13. - Top - End - #73

Yeah, that's part of my conflict over it: I fully support anything that formes an annual justification for dressing up and eating lollies 'til you chunder. But all the autumny stuff - the pumpkins, the apple-bobbing... other stuff - has no place in the middle of an Australian spring, especially since all those "seasonal" things are available here year-round.
    On the other hand, costumes and chocolate!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there's the 501st for costumes.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"...he needs a vacation, some time in the sun,
    Ho ho ho and a bottle of rum!"
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's part of my conflict over it: I fully support anything that formes an annual justification for dressing up and eating lollies 'til you chunder.
    Would that make you 'chunder-woman'?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

in Italy we get all Saints' Day on the 1st of November. being jewish I've had to read up on it though.. apparently the date was originally another, but it was bumped up following urging from the clergy in Ireland, who wanted it to replace the old Samhain of Celtic tradition.
    I'm thinking most of it comes down to a liturgical celebration in churches.

The next day we have all Souls' day..where people mostly take a chance to go visit the graves of dearly departed and such.. there are plenty of local traditions that include specially made cookies or cake...but those aren't all that frequently held up...which is sad, because.. cookies!

As for halloween itself.. you'll find all kinds of stuff on the television reminding us of the american traditions..mostly reruns of shows that have a themed episode (think the Simpsons' halloween episodes). there may be occurrences of children trick or treating, but it's rather sparse.. and there's plenty of dress-up themed nights in clubs and pubs..because anything which is cause for celebration brings them money so they'll ride it.
    Halloween used to be a big thing in many areas of Italy.. a little more than a thousand years ago.. all sorts of traditions about comuning with zombies contacting the spirits of the dead and so on were local things and were then either rooted out or died out naturally, replaced by all saints' and all souls' day
    there's plenty of halloween themed stuff in the shops for a few days.. but mostly the dress up and the parties and the ensuing traditions is kept for carnival, which has as many traditions and variations as there are towns in Italy..ranging from parades to a city-wide street battle pelting oranges at one another.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Candy corn sounds kinda gross...
    It is, yet for some reason everyone gives it out. :( It's even worse than the people who give out apples (really, who the hell thinks plain apples is what you should give kids on Halloween?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I think the police in Zurich tried to enforce a curfew on the 31 for people under the age of 16, or something. Because a few idiots confused "Trick or treat" with "smash windshields and break into houses".
    There are several places in the states that do this as well, as well as having laws preventing wearing full face masks on the 31st, because people would dress up and rob places. They're usually big cities, or places with bad crime rates though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Heck, isn't there some kind of television show about tossing a pumpkin as far as possible with a trebuchet before it breaks?
    Pumpkin-Chunkin': the best show the fall has. And why America is the great country it is: we build giant air cannons, trebuchets, and catapults to throw pumpkins, just for the hell of it, and the manage to turn it into a TV show.

Even knowing that Dec. is part of Australia's summer, this is SO weird to read.

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    It is, yet for some reason everyone gives it out. :( It's even worse than the people who give out apples (really, who the hell thinks plain apples is what you should give kids on Halloween?!)
    What's worse is the old people who give out pennies.

Not to be overly offensive, but just because when they were young children in 1940s does not mean they should ignore the fact that inflation exists.

Also, the people who give out pencils. Pencils! Who thinks that's a good idea?

Ironically enough, the dentist who lived in our neighborhood always gave out the best candy... full sized chocolate bars and the like. I think it may have been an in-joke with the other adults about "generating business."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    What's worse is the old people who give out pennies.

Not to be overly offensive, but just because when they were young children in 1940s does not mean they should ignore the fact that inflation exists.

Ironically enough, the dentist who lived in our neighborhood always gave out the best candy... full sized chocolate bars and the like. I think it may have been an in-joke with the other adults about "generating business."
    This is why I have always said Dentist's are evil .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

am I the only one constantly reminded about Christopher Lee's role in the remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, reading this?

(also, if I were a kid in England, I'd totally go trick or treating at his place..and expect him to answer the door dressed up as Dracula)
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-10-28 at 07:20 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #82

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Someone who wants to encourage prodding and stabbing, is my best guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It is a time for me and my brothers to feast on the hearts of our enemies.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2012-10-28 at 01:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    I would say practically non-existant in Finland, as All Hallows' Eve is pretty much considered the one day in autumn when people visit graves of the dearly departed.
    Same here in Sweden.
    In fact this was the main reason the "import" of the American tradition failed, a lot of people became downright offended of the idea to have a party on the same day they go and remember the family's dead.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-10-31 at 02:52 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given it was originally the Christian festival of All Hallows' Eve I would expect it to be celebrated most places that have a long Christian tradition...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    True, but that's not what I'm thinkign of. All the modern celebrations associated with Halloween seem to come more from the celtic festivals around that time, with some heavy changes. The disguises, the pumpkins, the ghosts... not very Christian. Sure, it's all hallow's eve here. But I've never seen a pumpkin or a monster mask in church.
    Don't be silly. This is where Halloween comes from.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Two girls dressed as zombies just scared the crap out of me.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a universal cultural thing, but I'm going out with a bunch of friends tonight to collect canned/boxed/tinned/whatever food to donate to a couple local food shares.

I was going to be Dr. McNinja, but I was lazy and I didn't get the costume together in time, so I'll be Luke Skywalker instead.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Sounds about right. There are some zombie flicks showing tonight for Humans vs Zombies and Halloween, but I don't think I'll go because I'll scare so badly I might hurt somebody. Like last time.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    After working at a haunted house, I've started to find zombie and evil clown costumes kinda hot... I'm not sure how I feel about this development.

Go Tigers!

30. - Top - End - #90

I'm not sure whether I should therefore recommend, or warn you away from, the movie Zombie Strippers