New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Keep on the Shadowfell preview characters

Scans of the character sheets from the Keep on the Shadowfell preview.
    Dwarf fighter
    page 1 page 2
    Human wizard
    page 1 page 2
    Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut
    page 1 page 2
    Dragonborn Paladin
    page 1 page 2
    Halfing Rogue
    page 1 page 2

They are not pretty, but quite ledgable.
    Before anyone gets upset, they were originaly linked over on gleemax so if WotC have a problem with it they have a funny way of expressing it.
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-05-10 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell preview characters

Yeah, I was just up at my local game store and we were going over the preview (quick-start) rules and his Dragon Born Paladin.

Its...s o...awesome...

EDIT: After reading them all, and the various powers that come at 2nd and 3rd level... I'm hooked more than before. Cure Light Wounds, Cleric Utility Power... Target regains HP as if it had spent a healing surge. Backstabber Feat (Sneak attack damage is d8s instead of d6s)
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-05-10 at 12:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Less new stuff than I expected. Overall, I doubt it'll make anyone like 4ed more or less.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Less new stuff than I expected. Overall, I doubt it'll make anyone like 4ed more or less.
    How wrong you are I've gone from simple salivating to outright drooling.
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-05-10 at 12:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric View Post
    How wrong you are I've gone from simple salivating to outright drooling.
    Just out of curiosity, exactly what have you seen there that caused this reaction? All I got from the previews Charity posted was "huh, so characters can do this and this" and the mild distaste after seeing yet another Dragonborn. Is there something in the preview that's so awesome(as the nearest gaming store is about 200 km from here, it's not like I'm going to read it anyway)?
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-05-10 at 01:00 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #6

That the system seems to keep working two levels up from level 1. Which is R0XX0RZ, considering by level three you were screwed by a Batman Wizard, en previous editions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we get our first look at Utility Powers.

Tumble, Rogue Utility Power. You shift 3 squares.

We get our first look at actual levelling, as all the pregenerated characters have rules for level 2 and 3. This also includes powers for level 2 and 3 that we have not previously seen.

Mostly, for me, it's the cure light wounds. Everyone was wondering if the healing would be completely reliant on Healing Surges... or the Cleric using your healing surges for you. Its not. Cure Light Wounds just heals you, just like a spell should. That's huge news.

From the 5 people that played the preview last night... the game runs really smoothly and it feels like you're playing D&D. That's what got them most, they felt like they were playing a streamlined version of D&D. The only complaint came from the store manager when he said that the healing surges were a little over the top... to which he retracted when I pointed to the rule that you can only use one healing surge per encounter as a Second Wind, unless you have a power that explicitly states otherwise.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    That the system seems to keep working two levels up from level 1. Which is R0XX0RZ, considering by level three you were screwed by a Batman Wizard, en previous editions.
    Then I suppose it's amazing that my 4th level wizard isn't one.
    Seriously, I understand that people like 4ed, but this demonizing of 3ed has gone a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric
    Well, we get our first look at Utility Powers.

Tumble, Rogue Utility Power. You shift 3 squares.

We get our first look at actual levelling, as all the pregenerated characters have rules for level 2 and 3. This also includes powers for level 2 and 3 that we have not previously seen.

Mostly, for me, it's the cure light wounds. Everyone was wondering if the healing would be completely reliant on Healing Surges... or the Cleric using your healing surges for you. Its not. Cure Light Wounds just heals you, just like a spell should. That's huge news.

From the 5 people that played the preview last night... the game runs really smoothly and it feels like you're playing D&D. That's what got them most, they felt like they were playing a streamlined version of D&D. The only complaint came from the store manager when he said that the healing surges were a little over the top... to which he retracted when I pointed to the rule that you can only use one healing surge per encounter as a Second Wind, unless you have a power that explicitly states otherwise.
    Good to hear, but that's hardly anything we don't know already.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to hear, but that's hardly anything we don't know already.
    Oh... if its already been shown... could you point me to the link for the utility powers? Tumble, Expeditious Retreat, Cure Light Wounds, Unstoppable... those all sound great to me.

EDIT: That comes off sound snarky... I don't mean it to be. I'm honestly curious, if you've seen this before, I'd like to see the rest of it.
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-05-10 at 01:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Tellat to the munchkin who loaded up in Sleeps, Color Sprays, Webs, and Greases. Everyone else felt COMPLETELY useless, because the guy took a done and a half tricks to get insane Init.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Then I suppose it's amazing that my 4th level wizard isn't one.
    Batman Wizard, not Wizard. There's a difference.
    HOW IS BABBY FORMED

12. - Top - End - #12

Oh... if its already been shown... could you point me to the link for the utility powers? Tumble, Expeditious Retreat, Cure Light Wounds, Unstoppable... those all sound great to me.

Tumble was in the Rogue preview. I believe Cure light was used as a demonstration of utilities somewhere. But unstoppable and Expeditious ARE new.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Tumble was in the Rogue preview. I believe Cure light was used as a demonstration of utilities somewhere. But unstoppable and Expeditious ARE new.
    Oh, I guess I missed the Rogue preview (or rather, forgot about it )

EDIT: I really like that Backstabber feat. Even though the sneak attack damage has been lessened, there are feats to help it out.
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-05-10 at 01:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Yeah, and powers. I'm still scared by the Angel of Vengeance, but with a few tweaks, a character could easily stand up to it and say "Get ovah here if ya think ye're so tough, *****!".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bonuses: One extra at-will power, feat, trained skill, +1 to fortitude, reflex and will defenses
    Humans still kick butt. Extra stuff = win.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

As it's been said, Tubmle appears in Rogue preview. Others don't appear anywhere, but, well, those are just powers. We sort of know they're going to be there and that they'll look in a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon
    Tellat to the munchkin who loaded up in Sleeps, Color Sprays, Webs, and Greases. Everyone else felt COMPLETELY useless, because the guy took a done and a half tricks to get insane Init.
    And then he gets splattered across the wall when he runs out of spells or enemies make their saving throws. Seriously, wizards can do amazing stuff even on 3rd level, but they're hardly game-breaking at this point if they aren't heavily twinked out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

So sorry to disappoint you, but what more were you expecting from the character sheets?

Anyway not long now Sam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    So sorry to disappoint you, but what more were you expecting from the character sheets?
    When I first saw this, I expected to see some entirely new powers, but most of non-utility powers are things we've seen before. Sorry if I cam out as whiny, though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Anyway not long now Sam.
    Oh, don't I know it. My game store is holding a raffle... you get one entry per book you preorder. I've got the 3 core and Keep on Shadowfell. One of the prizes is -every- 4e supplement that comes out in 2008. other prizes include dice, minis, $25 gift certificates...

20. - Top - End - #20

And then he gets splattered across the wall when he runs out of spells or enemies make their saving throws. Seriously, wizards can do amazing stuff even on 3rd level, but they're hardly game-breaking at this point if they aren't heavily twinked out.

Please, read the posts. I mentioned munchkin + Batman Wizard. What the blazes do you think he was doing, making a good backstory?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Please, read the posts. I mentioned munchkin + Batman Wizard. What the blazes do you think he was doing, making a good backstory?
    Yeah, I know you're talking about munchkined wizard. However, wizards need really heavy twinking out to be really gamebreaking on low levels, at which point it becomes more of a player problem. Now, on high levels when wizards start to dominate without even trying, things look different.
    Anyway, I belive that saying that 3ed "stops working" on 3rd level is a stretch.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-05-10 at 01:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Okay, you're right there, it doesn't stop working. Let's say it starts showing signs of stress. It actually breaks at level 7 (Or 5 with Artificers).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, you're right there, it doesn't stop working. Let's say it starts showing signs of stress. It actually breaks at level 7 (Or 5 with Artificers).
    That I can agree with. Promises of more balanced game are what keeps me interested in otherwise unimpressive 4ed.

24. - Top - End - #24

Yeah, it's one of the biggest draws, along with useful multiclassing. Personally, I think they'll make it, at least for the core. Later on, we WILL get some crap which will wreak everything up, but I believe it'll initially work.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The only thing that I do not like, is that it appears that wizards will only learn new spells by leveling. So they completely lost their "learn from scrolls and prepare what you wish" flavor. Hmm they are basically sorcerers now, but probably with even less spells known(compared to 3.5 sorcerers) as they get more levels.

Although I may be wrong, that spellbook ability seems as it could be expended in ways other then leveling.
    Characters:
    Daren (necromancer)
    Draziw Rekove (evoker)
    Arena Characters:
    BobTheFighter
    Rewop S'tniop
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

It makes sense, though. If you allow the spellbook learning gimmick, a wizard has MANY more powers than others, nulling every effort to keep the balance together. Don't tell me you'd prefer Batman Wizards again, because that's what allowing power expansion for wizards only would do.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll agree that this is interesting, but nothing wildly new. It's hard not to buy in to a bit of expectant excitement, though.

It has sort of changed my mind about my first 4e character. I was all set on adapting a drow warlord, now I think I'll go human fighter or cleric. I'll probably change my mind again when I see the PHB, though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It makes sense, though. If you allow the spellbook learning gimmick, a wizard has MANY more powers than others, nulling every effort to keep the balance together. Don't tell me you'd prefer Batman Wizards again, because that's what allowing power expansion for wizards only would do.
    A wizard would not have many more powers, he would have the same amount as others, just with ability to change some of them every day. And power of batman wizards did not came much from their ability to change their spells, it came from the power of specific spells, and the way spells worked in general.

But even if options were a big advantage, they reworked all spells anyway, so I don't think that it would have been hard to make those additional bonuses balanced (they would mostly be fluff anyway).
    Characters:
    Daren (necromancer)
    Draziw Rekove (evoker)
    Arena Characters:
    BobTheFighter
    Rewop S'tniop
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Simplicity. Why the hell make a complicated to balance system that will be broken by the first splatbook? Much better to give wizards equal opportunities to normal warriors, not extra goodies.

Else, a warrior can switch from one lifelong combat style to another. It's only fair game.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Yeah, it's one of the biggest draws, along with useful multiclassing. Personally, I think they'll make it, at least for the core. Later on, we WILL get some crap which will wreak everything up, but I believe it'll initially work.
    well we have the fluff......
    from
    EE