New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They would have starved to death from lack of divine food a looooong time ago.
    Maybe, but maybe gods are like stars. The bigger the star, the quicker they burn their fuel, the faster they die. Maybe gods of OotS follow the same rule. Strong gods need a lot of fuel to keep going and will burn out without getting more fuel. Weak gods burn their fuel so slowly that they live several orders of magnitude longer. Not that I have evidence for this, but it might be possible. Any god that decides to be a "strong god" would be unable to become a "weak one" and, thus, can't slow down how fast they burn through their power. Perhaps, if there are weak gods, they are non-senient masses of energy with no direction or purpose except to exist as a mass of energy. Without wasting energy on thought, creation, fighting, partying, etc, they would just last almost indefinitely until something triggered them to ascend or just cause them to decide to be sentient. Again, I have zero idea on how that would work, but it's interesting to think about.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2019-08-30 at 02:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I thought the devils lived in Hell and stole Hel's name to co-opt the branding, but I don't think it was established she lives there.

I can't find the strip where they say that right now but I'm looking.
    Here. Although Hel implies the opposite. Unless Loki was the one who gave the fiends the idea.

Durkon* also says at one point that he looks forword to the never ending gloom of Hel, and then clarifies he meant the place, no the goddess who he expects to be fairly chipper.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    I'm quoting him. I so wish I could find a video excerpt of the part where he says it.
    Not my favourite episode. It crammed a lot of things into to little time and explained zero of them.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-26 at 04:29 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Not my favourite episode. It crammed a lot of things into to little time and explained zero of them.
    I never watched the full episode, I just love the quote and would like to see it uttered by Seven.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Here. Although Hel implies the opposite. Unless Loki was the one who gave the fiends the idea.
    *Shrug*

Or it became a villain pun later when the devils renamed whatever-it-was-before-Hell.

EDIT: And thanks for finding that for me.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    *Shrug*

Or it became a villain pun later when the devils renamed whatever-it-was-before-Hell.

EDIT: And thanks for finding that for me.
    I thought it was either nameless or didn't exist until there were mortals to pass to it and so they copied Hel's name in the first world.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    I never watched the full episode, I just love the quote and would like to see it uttered by Seven.
    He doesn't utter it. He says it with basically the same intensity as this other gem, from a far better episode.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-26 at 04:42 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

That is certainly a possibility.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Because he wanted to see what would happen. He did it purely for the lulz. Trying to guess what she would do would spoil his fun.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1138.html

I agree with you (and others in between you and me), that puts Loki at the intersection of CE and CN according to the handy planar guide.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not sure it's quite the same. In the Sandman, the way the Endless are perceived is entirely a function of who's looking at them--so the Martian Manhunter sees something different than a modern-day Earthly mortal does, and Nada sees something else again. Dream's personality is the same in all cases, though. The belief in the Stickverse seems to actually shape how the gods look and act for everyone, so even someone who believes Thor should have ginger hair will see him as blond if they meet him, because that's the majority viewpoint over many years.
    That also happened to Jenny Sparks (of Wildstorm's Stormwatch and The Authority). The (in her words) "fishhead majority" decreed that as one of the "spirits of the century" (i.e. Jenny Sparks in the 20th Century) she had to die in dec. 31st, 1999, not dec. 31st. 2000. And so she did.

BTW, does the dwarf dogma about trees have effects on trees the way thoughts about gods have effects on gods? Would trees in the next world actually be malevolent? Or are dwarf beliefs so outnumbered by non-dwarf beliefs such as "No, they are just trees, neither evil nor good"?
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-08-26 at 04:49 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

9. - Top - End - #189

Shame indeed. Though, having read my grandmother's beginner's guide to esperanto (not the actual title) I can say with confidence that it is far too europeocentric to be easy to learn for everyone.
    Exactly. Easy is in the eye of the beholder. I studied Spanish and Mandarin for my linguistics degree, and German because I wanted to; Chinese was the easiest grammar to learn, but by far the hardest to learn to speak and write.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    BTW, does the dwarf dogma about trees have effects on trees the way thoughts about gods have effects on gods? Would trees in the next world actually be malevolent? Or are dwarf beliefs so outnumbered by non-dwarf beliefs such as "No, they are just trees, neither evil nor good"?
    Trees are not gods, so no. Although, it's possible that whichever Northern God is in charcge of trees has become a bit more vindictive.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-26 at 04:45 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    No, but it probably makes Thor like trees less, he might start zapping them on purpose if this lasts a few more millennia.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

Ok- I just had to register.

Holy Bleeping Bleep! This was a powerful one Rich! I can't WAIT to see how it turns out!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duramora View Post
    Ok- I just had to register.
    Welcome! I hope you have fun, here with the rest of us loons.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #194

Welcome! I hope you have fun, here with the rest of us loons.
    Wait we're welcoming people and not scaring them off? Well then what was last thread about? Because I was trying to scare people away.

15. - Top - End - #195

Thor: "It's time for me to put my faith in you, Durkon."

Durkon: *topples over, chips off his nose*

Thor: "Does anybody have some Gorilla Glue?"

TWO HOURS LATER

"Someone pass the glaze. The paint's chipping off Durkon again."

"His weapon's bent. Why are their weapons always bent right out of the package?"

I swear, the pre-painted stuff has no QC."
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Last panel. Neutral Evil is fotti g for a goddess of death, and disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    can someone please answer this, because i am stumped as to what a "fotti g" is?
    "fitting". It's fitting for a goddess of death to be neutral evil as death is neither good or bad. But Hel rules hel (single hockey stick), which is a place where the wicked go.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2019-08-26 at 05:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What's the deal with Esperanto?
    I think it's a song by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, and Justin Bieber?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

So Hel lives in Hel which is part of Hades and not Hell. There was also a god named Hades but he does not live in Hades because he is no longer alive.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What's the deal with Esperanto? My first conscious exposure to the words "Esperanto" and "cliché" were (different) episodes* of Tiny Toon Adventures back in the 90s, so this isn't entirely random....

* The direct-to-video How I Spent My Summer Vacation was split into episode-length pieces for airing during a later season, so I think it counts.

Esperanto was an attempt to create a single worldwide united language. It failed for the reasons mentioned in this thread - the impossibility of getting the world's population en masse to abandon their linguistic traditions and learn a new one, differences between governments and cultures, and Esperanto's eurocentric construction which made it far less than convenient for the non-Western world.

But William Shatner starred in an Esperanto horror movie, so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

20. - Top - End - #200

BlueWizardGirl

Well, that clears up Loki’s motivations (and explains why his “Vote No” speech was kind of half-assed).

21. - Top - End - #201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Esperanto was an attempt to create a single worldwide united language. It failed for the reasons mentioned in this thread - the impossibility of getting the world's population en masse to abandon their linguistic traditions and learn a new one, differences between governments and cultures, and Esperanto's eurocentric construction which made it far less than convenient for the non-Western world.

But William Shatner starred in an Esperanto horror movie, so there's that.
    Also:

(Early episodes of Red Dwarf had the signs and announcement videos in Esperanto and English).

22. - Top - End - #202
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    So does that mean that the gods can survive without worship, but worships somehow enhances or affects them anyway due to the rules of the 'verse being different from beyond the chaos?

Or does it mean that the gods have actually tied their very existence to worship now which balances out their godly power?
    The latter
    They have evolved to depend on worship
    Presumably it also makes them more powerful
    I’m reminded of a number of recent fantasy settings which have faery chaos beings as the enemy with a sub set who chose to become defined and enter the material and create the world etc. Exalted is sort of one (though the creators there don’t depend on worship it’s their servants who take over that do)
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Like the verb "to murder", which means the act of committing a murder?
    Sure, I guess. I'm not sure why you would want to place a number of crows into a mental institution, but hey, you do you.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

That's a pretty well thought out set of motivations for Loki.

I'm feeling a little nervous for Thor though.... I mean... has he READ some of the early comics? Durkon's heart is absolutely in the right place, but the Order has been fumblin', stumblin', bumblin' for quite some time now.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, neat to get some godly character development: A reminder Loki is still evil, however nice he appears, and a nice little beat about how the gods, in a way, are both bound by and rely on mortals as much as mortals are bound by and rely on them. Loki can't tell the truth because mortal perception has bound his personality to restrictions, but a mortal, Durkon, is the one who will save the world. The god/mortal relationship is a bit more even then we thought.

26. - Top - End - #206

SolithKnightGuy

Basically the entire world: This looks like it should be called "ananas".
    English: "Pineapple it is, then."

I mean, what the ****, English? They have nothing to do with pine trees.
    Yeah like those things that grow in the ground and have nothing to do with Apple trees that get called apples of the earth 🤔
    Pineapples do sort of look like pine cones however - and apple was often used for any new fruit (at least the English didn’t use it for a tuber)
    Getting back to cliched - the meaning is very media orientated
    It refers to an overused trope - the Butler did it or the bad guy is actually fighting an even badder guy so we all make friends and forget the evil he did and is still doing
    The story line has been used so much it becomes expected and so is a cliche. Which means that story line has been cliched.
    Sorry I was to lazy to add the accents 😉
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2019-08-26 at 05:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by understatement;24110756[[
    Why is it hind and hinder?
    Why is what hind and hinder? Do you mean the difference in pronunciation, [haɪnd] and [hɪndɹ̩]?
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Huh, neat to get some godly character development: A reminder Loki is still evil, however nice he appears, and a nice little beat about how the gods, in a way, are both bound by and rely on mortals as much as mortals are bound by and rely on them. Loki can't tell the truth because mortal perception has bound his personality to restrictions, but a mortal, Durkon, is the one who will save the world. The god/mortal relationship is a bit more even then we thought.
    I expect god-mortal dynamics to change significantly, should (1) the existential threat of the Snarl and (2) the fact that three colors are insufficient to contain the Snarl cease to be significant factors.

29. - Top - End - #209

SolithKnightGuy

Also in Planescape : the Norse gods dwelt together in a shared realm which sometimes was taken as the name for the whole plane. This shared realm probably explained why it was on the CN/CG plane
    Loki has a home there but he also has a domain in Pandemonium (the lulz plane of CN/CE and often associated with madness) for when his tricks get him into trouble.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh come on Loki, you're clever enough to lie in such a way that she figures out the truth!

Her spite is probably a valid concern though.