New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Le Cirque Funeste: Professor Class [Please PEACH]

I have actually been working on a feature that allows the domination of Humanoids and Monsters and bringing them into the menagerie [I cut the number of creature types down while making kits...so magical beasts don't exist in my game]

Honestly, i was halfway through writing the post when i realised i hadn't designed the critter so i went back and did that. Then the ability kind of rewrote itself.

I'm not sure if there should be 5 or 10 of the things though...it is once per year, but then again, they are very, very munchy from the setting perspective [and well above what you could summon with Summon Monster IX while we're at it]. That and combined with the 11th leve power i'm trying to work out [Taking Negative levels in exchange for respawning Menagerie creatures by having them hatch from rats or other nearby animals...]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm...I like it, so far. Although I think there probably ought to be a save against the stunning with Mezzetino's first ability. No-save stunning is almost always a bad idea, especially since Mezzetino's attack costs nothing. With that power, you could lock down pretty much any creature indefinitely.

And in the game wher I'm playing a professor, the party managed to defuse the situation, so I never got my duel...
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Hmmm...I like it, so far. Although I think there probably ought to be a save against the stunning with Mezzetino's first ability. No-save stunning is almost always a bad idea, especially since Mezzetino's attack costs nothing. With that power, you could lock down pretty much any creature indefinitely
    Still gotta hit with it; its not as if it's actually automatic...

That and i'm starting to wonder if i've failed to communicate that Puppets act like they're under the effects of the Spring Attack feat and move one at a time [actually flanking anyone with them is impossible]. It would make a perfectly sensible feat however.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Although, with Death or Pierrot, you could flank. Or just flank with a party member. My point is that usually no-save stunning is a bad idea...

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

how about shrinking the dice to 1d3 or 1d4 and using the 'effect on a maximum' thing again?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be better, but I really, really cannot agree with save-free stunning, especially since the puppets roll your ranks in a skill to attack, which means they're getting a decent to-hit bonus pretty much no matter what.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, well i'm left stuck between my hatred of multiple rolls to resolve things and the fact that you'll probably say that Dazed would be just as bad. At least it isn't D&D, so the fact that obliging a save won't mean that it would still be automatic against 2/3 of the classes...

i still like the flanked mechanic but i have the feeling that it'll make Mezzetino pretty much eternally less useful than the other two vecchi if you get a save.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you're the author, so it's your call. If you're really attached to the no-save, you can do it. I don't think it fits, but until I've seen a playtest of it my opinion is just that--an opinion.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

After having checked up on something in the MV rules, i've decided to leave it as it is save for removing the 'Ignores armour' clause.

This is singularly because i've checked up on how annoying Subdual damage is anyway and decided that it isn't really a step up.

Anyway, what do you reckon to slipping Pierot into the Crocodile's current place and moving the croc to after Clown and putting Death as the last?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm...sounds good. It'd fill up some of those ugly empty levels.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, well those two extra puppets just filled the only two dead levels that the class has ever had [I still think becoming generally better in every way was good enough for level 2; i was really only concerned with 17 and 19 which were zero sum...]

Level 2 has Little Hans, who is at best Mage Hand with a little Ranged Legedemain thrown in

Level 6 has the ability to see through the eyes of your puppets

and level 8 has the ability to have your puppets pass as humans

All useful if you think about them but nothing really to write home about.

I think 14 can be the most obvious power of all: Using dead bodies on strings as puppets. Or maybe it should be the Death-in-a-box idea instead...hmmm

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

new abilities are up for the Beast Tamer and Starn Voice has been fixed

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Just an apology: My computer bit the dust rather spectacularly [processor went and the drive literally milled itself some new furrows] so i've lost the progress i made since the last update.

I'm working on clawing together copies of my work from others; fortunately, i'm a habitual sender of things to people, and my laptop will be replaced within the week so i can begin piecing my work back together properly.

I've now seen the movie of Something Wicked This Way Comes, and read the movel synopsis. Not entirely sure what to do with the Dust witch to be honest with you. I was working on a Bard class [based on the Orkney Bards] so i might make her into soem kind of fear/longing based prestige class for his illusory and Fae attack powers [tricking pixies into shooting his enemies, etc]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Ouch...Here's hoping you manage to get your work back together...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Ouch...Here's hoping you manage to get your work back together...
    If i'm entirely honest, the most annoying thing here is that i'd started work on some illustrations to go with this lot of stuff, along with my entry for the monster competition and for a Deviantart contest. Now i've not only got to start over with that but rebuild all of my brushes and paint palette...

Damn and blast!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your idea for the Dust Witch sounds perfect. However, you might want to put her on hold and go through the novel anyway. Just for fun's sake. It's the perfect October book, and I make it a habit to read it around Halloween, along with the Halloween Tree. I think Bradbury is a fellow Hallow-phile, like me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

If only my local library service didn't suck...

REALLY can't afford to buy it now!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, well, I'm back.

What i had done towards the adventure is now completely lost but i've got the classes back on record.

Beast Tamer has a free level that i'm not entirely sure what to do with: I'm thinking that the ability to shift hit points around between himself and his menagerie might be suitable, either that or the ability to instant kill animals.

The 14th level of Professor is still missing a feature: I think that the ability to use corpses as puppets will work fine, using variants of the mechanics used in Le Choer Souille. I'll get to that in course.

The final thing of note is that my previous work on the Bard is gone. My idea is basically as follows:

A bard has a song pool with a number of tokens in it. He can use Full actions to gain more and spends them to buy effects from the Fae in the surroundings as they alter stuff in the nearby area to fit the narrative.

I'm thinking that some of these powers are going to be direct meddling [satyr pipes, pixie arrows, entangle effects etc], some more set dressing [raising platforms, clearing ground, adding bogs, cloaking things in illusions etc] and a few other things like cameo appearances by nymphs and teleport effects...

Not entirely sure how to break it down. I'd prefer that Bards had more abilities than they get to usein any given fight but i'm keen not to make the pool of such abilities too large. Perhaps a pool of them known and a limit on the number of each type that can be used in an encounter.

Anyone with knowledge of the Orkney Bards, please help with this one. I may put the development of this class in another post so that it gets a little more attention.

Thom

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Bard:
    'Bard' is actually a horribly misabuse of a technical term, but I hope we'll be forgiven; a bard is technically a musician of a very specific type who filled the role of geneology keeper and teller of the old tales in the Orkney Isles off to the north of Scotland. Similar terms can be found throughout the world of a tasked keeper of the great songs and stories; the Norse Skald, the French Minstral [little servant] and the Irish Keener [these women officiated funerary rites].

In Mecha Victoriana's world, the bard has begun to resurface as a power within the world, though for reasons slightly divorced from the D&D norms. As the Fæ began to resurface into the world, they began to take note of those who still knew their customs, because to the fæ, customs are more important than any law.

Note: This redesign is related more to making the class fit in with the ethos produced by MV and the unusual magic system present in the world rather than any comment on the balance of the original class.

Unlike the otheres in this thread, the Bard is not a Carnival class, though some of it's spinnoff classes and/or options may be related to carnival.

Bard
    {table=head]Level|Base[br]Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Defence|Special|Song[br]Pool

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Melody, Narrative Twist +1|
    11 ( 5 )

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Dressing (2)|
    12 ( 6 )

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |Conflict (2), Mæstro [1]|
    13 ( 6 )

4th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |Dressing (3), Uncanny Dodge|
    14 ( 7 )

5th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |Narrative Twist +2|
    15 ( 7 )

6th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |Dressing (4), Mæstro [2]|
    16 ( 8 )

7th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Conflict (3), Fæ Loan|
    17 ( 8 )

8th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Dressing (5)|
    18 ( 9 )

9th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Ambience (2), Mæstro [3]|
    19 ( 9 )

10th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Dressing (6), Narrative Twist +3|
    20 ( 10 )

11th|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +8
    |Conflict (4)|
    21 ( 10 )

12th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |Dressing (7), Mæstro [4]|
    22 ( 11 )

13th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |Ambience (3)|
    23 ( 11 )

14th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +10
    |Dressing (8)|
    24 ( 12 )

15th|
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +11
    |Conflict (5), Narrative Twist +4|
    25 ( 12 )

16th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +12
    |Dressing (9), Mæstro [5]|
    26 ( 13 )

17th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +12
    |Greater Fæ Loan|
    27 ( 13 )

18th|
    +13
    |
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +13
    |Ambience (4), Dressing (10)|
    28 ( 14 )

19th|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |Conflict (6), Mæstro [6]|
    29 ( 14 )

20th|
    +15
    |
    +10
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +15
    |Dressing (11), Narrative Twist +5|
    30 ( 15 )
    [/table]

Hit Dice: d8
    Class Skills: Appraise [Int], Balance [Dex], Bluff [Cha], Climb [Str], Concentration [Con], Craft [Int], Diplomacy [Cha], Disguise [Cha], Escape Artist [Dex], Forgery [Int], Gather Information [Cha], Hide [Dex], Knowledge [Any, taken Individually] [Int], Listen [Wis], Manipulation [Cha], Move Silently [Dex], Perform [Cha], Profession [Wis], Search [Int], Tumble [Dex], Swim [Str].
    Skill Points per Level: 6 + Int

Class Features:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Though not usually directly trained for combat, fifteen minutes in the proximity of Fæ leaves one with a burning desire to learn. Bards are proficient with all Simple weapons, all Martial Melee weapons and with light armour. They are also proficient with shields.

Song Pool [Su]: A Bard has limits to what he can do with his music, most of which are imposed mechanically by his ‘Song pool.’ A given Bard can store a given amount of fæ audience favour as Song Tokens, equal to his bard level + 10. If the Bard is prepared for an encounter, he begins with half as many Song Tokens as his maximum capacity, rounded down [these numbers are given in parentheses in the class table]. If he is unable to prepare, then he begins the encounter without any tokens.

Song tokens are spent to power the majority of the Bard’s abilities. They may gain more tokens through the use of their Melody ability.

Each Bard’s Song Pool abilities are tied to a particular Perform skill, usually Poetry, Storytelling, String Instruments or Singing. There are various benefits to each: Poetry and Storytelling cost the Bard 1 Song Token if he wishes to say anything outside the style of his narration [yes, this SHOULD be enforced], but leave the Bard’s hands free in order to fight.

String Instruments take up both of the Bard’s hands, making it very difficult to fight effectively but leave him able to talk. Singing suffers the same limitations as poetry/storytelling [and is even more difficult to communicate while you’re using it] but has the advantage that the bard can claim a Synergy bonus if he is also using a Stringed Intrument.

Melody [Su]: Songs are not limited to their starting potential and many of the great Orkney tales are longer in presentation than they are in any form that people would care to write down. The færies expect a certain amount of expansion in their songs and stories and reward such. A Bard may spin extra details into the song in order to please his customers. On doing so, he may make a Perform check with the Perform skill that he has tied to his Song Pool: for every full 5 points that the Bard rolls over 10 on the check, he gains one song token, as follows:

If the Bard spends a Standard action on this activity, they make the Perform check with their normal bonus. They may instead choose to take a Full action on their performance, gaining a +10 bonus on their roll for the purposes of gaining tokens only. Alternatively, they may spend a mere Swift action on performing, though this inflicts a -10 penalty on their roll.

Narrative Twist [Su]: By their simple presence, Bards distort their environment; their habit of attracting fæ creatures leads to a bizarre parody of Schrödinger’s theory of observation distorting reality to play out as their attention is drawn to aspects of the story he weaves. As a Standard action, the Bard may begin to tell his story, an act that costs him one token per turn and grants the bonus listed in the table. He may grant bonuses to a number of characters equal to his Charisma bonus at any one time, and no more than half of these bonuses may be drawn from any one of the following categories [the fæ grow bored with flat stories]:
    Boldness: Tales of courage and violence are common throughout the world and the fæ are very fond of them. The bonus applies to Attack, Damage and Fear save rolls.
    Cunning: The cleverness and tricks of mortals thrill the fæ because we come up with things that they would never conceive in their immortality. The bonus applies to Bluff, Manipulation and Disarm checks.
    Escape: Tales of escape are common, if usually part of a larger tale; the escape is key to fæ stories. The bonus applies to Defence, Reflex saves Escape Artist and Tumble checks.
    Haste: The songs include many tales of characters running to or from something. Some fæ like that kind of thing. Each +1 applied to this grants a +5ft bonus to speed and Initiative checks.
    Might: Songs that include feats of strength are as old as time itself. The fæ usually miss the fancy in them…The bonus applies to the Strength score of characters for the purposes of how much they can lift. Those affected count as having the Powerful Build feature while so enhanced.
    Wisdom: Tales of winning through understanding are well appreciated. The bonus applies on the natural dice rolls on Knowledge, Spot and Sense Motive checks.
    Sustaining this ability on subsequent rounds costs the Bard a Swift action, one token and limits his ability to communicate or act, depending on which skill is tied to his Song Pool. The bonuses may be reassigned each round as a Move action. No single character may have more than one of these bonuses at any one time.

Mæstro [Ex]: The ability of a bard is not that of an unnatural performer, but it certainly is above the limits of most normal people. At 3rd level and again at 6th, 9th, 12th, 16th and 19th levels, the Bard’s capacity for learning to performance increases again and again. Each time the Bard gains the Mæstro ability, the limit on the number of ranks in Perform skills he may have increases by one [to 4 + level at 2nd, 5 + level at 6th and so on].

Scene Dressing [Su]: It is the details that truly make or break a good story and the fæ have a strange habit of helping to make good stories; being effectively stories given life themselves, they find it almost impossible to resist. At 2nd level, the Bard gains two abilities from the Set Dressing list and gain a further ability from the list at each even numbered level thereafter.

Each ability has a cost in tokens to activate and/or maintain and wherever saves are called for, they are resolved against a DC equal to the Bard’s Perform skill modifier with the skill tied to their Song Pool. Activating any given ability is a Standard action and can effect any target within comprehensible hearing range of the Bard [30ft normally, 60ft with Loud Voice].

Uncanny Dodge [Ex]: When your core audience are fæ, you get very used to sensing what’s behind you. At 4th level, a Bard retains his Active Defence when Flatfooted or otherwise unaware of an attack. This does not negate precision damage unless the attack is stopped.

Conflicts [Su]: Convincing fæ to help you set a scene is one thing; convincing them to help you fight your battles because your characters are behaving out of order is completely another. At 3rd level, the bard gains two abilities from the “Conflicts” list and gains additional ones at 7th, 11th, 15th and 19th levels. Each Conflict has a range equal to his audible range [30ft normally, 60ft with Loud Voice] and takes a Standard action to use, which provokes an attack of opportunity.

Fæ Loan: There are many items that the Fæ use that seem to be innately magical but really function based on legendary properties of materials. The Bard gains the ability to beg and barter for these items at 7th level. This ability functions like the Big Bag’o’Guns feat, except he may request one of the following items as an action that takes 1 hour of preparation time:

Ankou Bells, Ankou Sickle, Ogre Club, Pixie Arrows, Satyr Pipes, Sith Arrows

At 17th level, the Bard may make more significant requests of more powerful Fae, adding the following items to their list, though these items require 2 hours of prep time to retrieve.

Baba Yagga’s House, Greater Ankou’s Scythe, Nächen’s Violin, Robin’s Redcap

Ambience [Su]: There is a reason that many stories start “It was a dark and stormy night.” Weather and similar conditions can really affect the mood of a situation, something that Ambience abilities are intended to pick up on. At 9th level, a Bard gains the ability to create two specific Ambience effects and gain further abilities as they gain levels.

Activating an Ambience takes a Full action and once it is in place, it remains functional for one hour, after which time it fades over a period of time, though will have completely lost its potency. The cost of an Ambience varies with the amount of time that is allowed before it activates fully. Normally, an Ambience is activated at a cost of 5 tokens + 5 per Ambience already in effect and takes 15 turns [3 minutes] to come into effect. For every 5 additional tokens spent on the ability's activation, the build up time is reduced by 5 rounds, to a minimum of 5. Further rounds may be shaved from the activation time at a cost of 2 tokens per round, to a minimum of an Instantaneous activation.

While in play, each Ambience has one passive condition that it lends to the situation, such as high winds or poor lighting and a secondary effect that can be triggered as a free action by expending Song tokens.

The most unique factor involved is that Bards are able to trigger the secondary effects of any Ambience that is in play, regardless of who triggered it. This makes duels involving multiple Bards incredibly tangled and messy, which is just how the Fæ like it. Bards do not need to be able to produce a given Ambience to be able to use it's effects, nor do they even have to be high enough level to create them themselves.

Bonuses or Penalties granted by Ambience effects are Drama based [a new unique type], meaning that they can be stacked with other bonuses without issue, but cannot be stacked with other Ambience effects.

Dressings:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Real:
    Alterations that the Bard makes to the actual environment, with the exception of the mist, are permanent, though they can be undone, either by the bard or by a little careful digging and resetting of materials. The majority of a Bard’s abilities alter or create stone/compressed earth. There are several feats that allow different compositions.

Chill Fog: Mists are a classic piece of mood setting; they’re also a convenient doddle for the fæ to conjure. A minimum of 4 tokens must be spent on activating the power, often more, with each token creating a single 10ft cube of mist. This mist obscures vision beyond 5ft; creatures within 5ft have Concealment, while everything beyond has Total Concealment. The mist must be conjured in a contiguous mass and lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Bard’s Song Pool.

Column: You create a column of material that provides cover and supports things above it. The column is 1ft in diameter and 2ft in height per token spent. Regardless of a Bards wishes, columns are always vertical and can bear a maximum of 1 tonne per 4 tokens spent before crumbling. Unlike other Real Dressings, Columns grow fast enough to be a weapon, dealing 1d3 damage per token spent, a Reflex save against the Bard’s Perform bonus negates.

Ditch: The thing about earth is, that there’s a lot of air in it, and manipulating that allows for the ground to be raised and lowered. A minimum of X tokens must be spent when activating this power, each token moves the equivalent of one 5ft cube of material. At it’s most basic, this creates a 10ft wide ditch that is 5ft deep in the centre that is 5ft long per token spent. The ditch may be widened with additional tokens, each making it either 5ft wider or 5ft deeper in a given section.

Floor: Building a tower from song is suddenly possible, although most bards use it to create bridges…You create a horizontal plain of material. In doing so, you must spend a minimum of 2 tokens. One 5ft square of flooring, two inches thick is created per 2 tokens spent. These squares are made of stone/compressed earth and must be both contiguous and may not extend more than 5ft in any direction from a support [so spanning more than a 10ft gap requires the Column power]. Floor sections have 30hp per inch and a substantial hardness of 8.

Flooring created in this way can support only 150lb per inch of its thickness; knowing this, many Bards make thinner floors in order to cause floors to collapse under people.

Raise: The opposite of Ditch, Raise creates two pieces of steep slope per token spent, to a point that is 5ft high. Additional tokens may be spent to raise the peak higher or create a raised area in the centre. For instance, a 5ft high, 20x20ft platform would cost 8 tokens [four for the core platforms and 4 for the slopes].

Spikes: Growing spikes is old hat to most fæ, most can grow either wood or manipulate stone well enough to do at least that. Spikes grown in this way cause anyone who enters the square they occupy to make a Reflex save or take 1d6 damage, as a Caltrop. Like caltrops, they must be removed with the Heal skill in order for the victim to regain full mobility. Each 5ft square grown costs 4 tokens and any spikes grown in a single action must be contiguous. Once they have gotten someone, the spikes are sufficiently broken to no longer be a threat and are removed.

Tanglefoot: Obstacles are always useful and are sometimes used to ensure that players stand on their marks. For 2 tokens, a Bard can render a 5ft square difficult terrain. A minimum of 8 tokens must be spent on this ability when it is activated and the effected squares must be contiguous.

Wall:
    A thin barrier is often useful and can be the difference between life and death. A minimum of 4 tokens must be spent on activating this power; for every 4 tokens spent, the barrier is 1 inch think [for 15 hp, Hardness 8] and covers one 5ft vertical square per token spent.

Illusionary:
    The illusions that the fæ weave are technically phantasmal and are virtually permanent as long as the Bard continues to narrate. They can be disbelieved but only if interacted with directly; mere knowledge of the falsehood of an obstacle will not prevent you stumbling on it. Illusionary abilities have a duration of 10 rounds and may be sustained, by spending additional tokens, without any tell occurring that they are illusionary. All these abilities may be disbelieved with a successful Will save, though this only allows them to be penetrated; they do not become transparent or the like.

Befuddlement: The path is not always clear but Bards know that all roads lead to adventure. By spending 2 tokens, a Bard may enchant any location where a turning can be made [such as a crossroads or T-junction]. When characters in the location choose a direction, they have a 50% chance of being subject to a minor confusion effect and taking one of the other directions at random. This never leads to backtracking and is a Charm effect.

The key to set dressing is to make people see what you want them to see, even if that’s not what’s there. For 2 tokens, a single door [4 tokens for a double door] may be added or hidden along any one wall. The details of the wall are blended with the surroundings and if a window is present in the door, it is replaced by a tainting of what was visible prior to the disguise being made.

Ghost Mirrors: Ghost mirrors are a specific kind of Phantom Wall. Each 5ft square created costs 2 tokens, though any number of squares may be created in one go. Each square holds the properties of a mirror and those looking in the mirror must make a Will save or see their heart’s desire in the mirror, becoming fascinated by it. They may test each round to attempt to break free.

Misty Barrier: Unlike the real fog that some bards can create, you create a penetrable veil of illusionary gossamer. This may look like leaves or fine silk. It grants Total Concealment to things behind it, while ironically showing glimpses of what is beyond. Moving through it is not difficult. Many bards use this to create multiple veils over corridors rather than one barrier. Each square so defended costs 1 token, with a minimum spend of 5 tokens. Unlike other powers, this ability’s effects need not be contiguous but each must be within a 30ft radius of the first.

Phantom Wall: Similar to the 4th level Arcane spell, a false wall appears featuring details of the Bard’s choice [usually made to match the surroundings by the fæ]. A minimum of 4 tokens must be spent in activating this ability, each token creating a 5ft square, which must be arranged in a contiguous pattern. Despite the name, this can be used to create floors or ceilings, with the barrier being double sided. This effect may be disbelieved if interacted with.

Veneer: Changing a few details can change everything about an area. Veneer allows the details of all surfaces in an area to be changed, though the core elements such as shape, doors and the presence or lack of floors and ceiling are unchanged. This ability costs 1 token per 10ft cube being altered and the entirety of a room must be skinned in this manner, it cannot be partially disguised. Classics include making walls look like hedges or the inside of a tent.

Attacks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are several attack modes available to a Bard, though it is worth noting that they will never manage to become artillery pieces.

Arboreal Assault: This ability only functions if a suitable tree or wooden object is available within vocal range. For 4 tokens, the tree animates and grabs a one target within 10ft of itself with a Grapple modifier of +3 per token spent. This effect halts, closing around the target, at the end of the turn, requiring an Escape Artist check DC 10 + 3 per token spend, to escape.

Bean Sidhe's Wail: Contrary to popular representations, the Wail [funerary song] of a Bean Sidhe [Banshee] is not fatal; it is a declaration that someone will die. While usually sung around the homes of warded families, Bards of sufficient skill can bring the Bean out, though it is a double edged sword. For every 10 tokens spent, all who hear the Wail have their Threat and Error ranges increased by 1. This effect lasts until someone dies who is under the effect and allows for no saves of any kind, though it affects friend and foe equally.

Brute Quake: Ogres and Giants are simple creatures and not very accurate. Not that it matters because their strikes to the ground are very useful. At least 2 tokens must be used to activate this power. Nominate a point within vocal range; from this point, an area 5ft in diameter per 2 tokens spent emerges. All within the quake must make a Reflex save, DC 10 + ½ Bard level + tokens spent, or fall prone. Subtract 4 from the tokens spent and recalculate the area of effect; those within this area suffer 1d6 damage per 5ft of the secondary area's diameter.

Gremlin Swarm: Gremlins are a common fæ type, rather a subset of fæ than a specific species. Their presence ruins large machines. The bard picks a single mechanical target of at least Large size within vocal range and expends tokens. He must make an attack roll based on BAB and Int to place the gremlins in the right place. The target either gains 2 Heat per token spent or must make a Fort save DC 10 + 2 per token to avoid malfunctioning.

Nymph Cameo: Coaxing a nymph to reveal herself from the Hedge is difficult but rewarding. A minimum of 2 tokens must be spent in activating this attack: the nymph's brief appearance takes the form of a 45° cone, 5ft in length length per token spent, which originates from any shadow within vocal range of the Bard. All within the cone must make a Reflex save, DC 10 + ½ bard level + tokens spent or be blinded for 1d4 rounds + 1 per 2 tokens spent. The bard is immune to this, as are blinded creatures; Concealment applies [auto pass].

Pixie Arrows: The fæ-craft arrows of Pixies plunge their targets into an enchanted sleep. One arrow emerges from the Bard's shadow per 2 tokens spent. Each has a Range increment of 60ft, attacks with the Bard's Ranged attack bonus and deals 2d6‡ Subdual damage. Any target dealt damage by this attack falls asleep for that many minutes or until disturbed.

Seelie Archery: There are many fine archers amongst the fæ. The archer guards of the Seelie court [pronounced “zai-LAY”] are masterful marksmen. A minimum of 3 tokens must be spent on activating this power. At the bard's command 2 arrows per token spent emerge from the Bard's shadow and streak towards the target. This is resolved as a volley of arrows against the target [2d8‡ damage, Attack of 5 + number of arrows, additional hit per full 5 the attack roll exceeds the target's Defence, 10ft target area; Range 120ft (-4 per range category)].

Thorny Bands: In tune with some horribly out of place note, a patch of grass or weed within 60ft of the Bard springs to life as a lashing, shaking beast. For one round per token spent, an area 5ft wide, +5ft per 2 tokens spent from the origin point is filled with randomly lashing barbed stems. Creatures in the area treat all squares as difficult terrain and must make a Reflex save [or attack of opportunity with a slashing weapon to cut themselves free] with a DC equal to the Bard's Perform bonus or be Entangled for the round and take 1d4 damage.

Unseelie Archery: The Unseelie, those fæ who think of humans as quaint and funny animals, are deadly archers who strike from all directions. This attack functions like the Seelie archery power, except that only 1 arrow is fired per token spent and the arrows emerge from a random liminal somewhere within vocal range of the Bard. This renders the target Flatfooted against the attack the first time they are targeted with it. [2d8‡ damage, Attack of 5 + number of arrows, additional hit per full 5 the attack roll exceeds the target's Defence, 10ft target area; Range 120ft (-4 per range category)].

Fæ Items [Fæ Loan and Greater Fæ Loan]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]
    Fæ Loan
    Ankou Bells: The bells of an Ankou are troubling in the extreme under most circumstances. When they are shaken, the sound travels oddly, appearing to the listener to be coming from a random direction around them. This has a disorienting effect on the target, causing the target to become Shaken unless they more at least 10ft towards an ally or are already adjacent to one. When adjacent to a target, they must make a Will save, DC 12 + Bard's Cha + the number of creatures within 15ft or suffer a Morale penalty equal to the number of creatures within 15ft on their attack rolls due to paranoidly watching their backs.

Ankou Sickle: The blades of an Ankou are as sharp as a winter wind and cuts to the bone. In the hands of one who can use it, this functions as a sickle with the following profile: Damage 1d6, crit 18-20/x3 and strikes as if it were natural materials.

Goblin Blades: Though retched, degenerate and cowardly, the Goblin has one core talent: they can create items of cold iron by the mere act of will; something they use to regularly threaten other fæ. When requested, the goblins provide up to three weapons of masterwork +1 quality made from Cold Iron, of the bard's preference.

Ogre Club: The clubs of the ogre are actually surprisingly well made when it gets down to it. The weapon is made of hawthorn taken from the depths of the Hedge and bound in man-skin. Hits with an ogre club deal normal damage for a club and push the target back 5ft per 5 points of damage dealt [no save].

Pixie Arrows: If the Bard requests Pixie Arrows, he finds a supply of 1d4 of them in his quiver at the beginning of each encounter. Each arrow deals Subdual damage and characters wounded by such fall into an enchanted sleep for 1 hour per point of damage dealt or until they are disturbed [physical pain], whichever comes first.

Satyr Pipes: The pipes of a Satyr are made from sylvan reeds and goblin bones. While he has them, a bard may tie his Performance to Perform [Wind Instrument]. If he does, he may spend tokens equal to the spell level to cast any of Cause Fear, Entangle, Sleep, Good Hope or Crushing Despair at will.

Sith Arrows: The Sith are nigh on an embodiment of dying. Their arrows replicate the process as well as it can be without actually killing the target. Target's struck with Sith Arrows must make a DC 19 Fort save or be affected by the spell Rigour MortisHoH.

Greater Fæ Items:
    Baba Yagga’s House: A powerful Slavic fæ, Baba Yagga is a malevolent child snatcher with a penchant for riddles, as cruel as the winter. Her house is strange sight, effectively a mech of wood on a pair of huge bird's legs. The mech can move at a speed of 100ft per action, is Huge, uses the Bard's defence, has a Hardness of 5 and 70hp. It has no weapons but can stamp on foes for 2d6+3 damage suing the Bard's base attack bonus and a strength of 22. When kneeling, no force on earth can prove that it's not just a conventional log cabin.

Greater Ankou’s Scythe: The most powerful of the Ankou breed wield scythes. These are +3 masterwork weapons and have the following profile: damage 2d4, Crit: 19-20/x5. Scythes deal piercing and slashing damage.

Nächen’s Violin: A Swedish Fæ, Nächen makes his home in rivers and lures people to their deaths with his magical songs. Any being who hears the music of the violin, even faintly [about 120ft, varies with weather], must make a Will Save DC 20 or be affected by it. Those affected while the musician is stood in at least ankle deep water are drawn towards it at half their movement rate and stand fascinated once they are within 10ft of the player. Those affected when the musician is on dry land begin to dance as per Otto’s Irresistable Dance and continue to do so until the music ceases.

Robin’s Redcap: The most warlike of the Powrie, Robin Redcap was the being that led to the racial name. he discovered that by sewing a cap from the breasts of robins and soaking it in human blood, his cruelty became amplified into brutal, terrifying strength. By donning the cap, the bard enters a state of Greater Frenzy, adding +10 to his Strength, -4 to his defence, renders himself immune to Charms and Compulsions and gains an additional attack whenever he makes an Attack or Full Attack action without penalty. On the downside, if he runs out of foes, he must attack anything that remains standing until the duration runs out; humans can only wear a red cap for about 3 minutes [15 rounds].

Ambience:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ambience effects are basically more powerful dressings and weather manipulation abilities. The ability to turn the land to mud or coat it with snow are amongst these abilities.

Blazing Noon: The light of noon is the classic set up for a confrontation. The heat of the situation spreads throughout a ½ mile radius around the target point, causing characters to take Subdual damage equal to their Hardness when they roll for initiative and 1 Subdual each time they attack.

The bard may turn a confrontation climactic by using the light of noon to cause a rise in a target. For a cost of 1 token, the bard may target an area within visual range 10ft in radius. This area much contain both an ally and an enemy but may contain more of each. For one round, the penalties applying to the targets are turned into stacking circumstance bonuses. For example, a character who is exhausted loses his general -3 and gains a +3 bonus for the round. Conditions that deny a character actions such as Staggered, Nauseated or Stunned convert to give the character Haste for the rest of the round.

Cloud of Malaise: Thick fog has a way of drowning all activity. Not just sound, but also the will to act; it carries with it a certain numbness that crushes the will somewhat. When this Ambience is activated, a thick mist rises from the ground to waist height, with thinner tendrils above that. Anyone completely inside the mist has their visual range cut to 5ft and targets within count as having concealment. Those beyond are considered to have total concealment. Above the mists, sounds are deadened and visual ranges are cut somewhat, doubling penalties for range on both.

Those within the mists find themselves robbed of their will to act whenever the plot and the bard telling it requires. For one token, the Bard may target one character within the mists with a Malaise. Targets must make a Fort save, DC 10 + ½ bard level + Cha or be Nauseated for the round, losing their Standard action.

Crashing Thunder: Have you ever noticed how thunder seems to trail in the wake of evil? There's always a stroke of thunder at the end of a big reveal. When the Bard triggers this Ambience, the sky darkens over the course of a minute and the heavens brew with storm and thunder. This has the effect of reducing the surrounding lighting to shadowy illumination within a 4 mile radius.

Once the Ambience is in full swing, the Bard may call a stroke of lightning at any time, even on other character's turns, by spending both a Song Token and an Attack of Opportunity. The lightning bolt assists the actions of one character by lending them greater Drama; enemies are blinded, solutions are illuminated, their face is silhouetted. In this way, the character [who may be the Bard] gains a +5 Drama bonus on one roll or check.

Gentle Rain: Soft rain falling on a character does little to dampen their mood over their clothes and can salve their wounds a little. The rain falls everywhere within a 10 mile radius and everyone exposed to it heals 1 point of Subdual damages each round.

When a character takes a Shake It Off action [normally recovering either their Level or Con bonus in Subdual damage] may choose to spend a Song token, causing them to regain hp equal to their Con modifier or half their level instead, whichever is higher.

Howling Winds: Heroes are often battered by fierce winds carrying spray or grit; arrows are plucked from the air and bullets go haywire as the confrontation reaches its climax and the protagonists are cut off by the sound deadening howl. On activation, this Ambience fills the area with bitter, cold winds that count as a Strong Wind, causing a -2 penalty on Ranged Attack rolls beyond 30ft and inflicting a -8 penalty on Listen checks due to it's cutting howl.

The bard has limited control over the winds, making them pulse harder against those they wish. For one token, the bard can increase the potency of the winds against one target to Severe, increasing the Ranged Attack penalty to -4 and Checking the target, holding them in place, unless they can succeed on a Fort save against the bards Perform bonus.

For three tokens, this may be increased even further to Windstorm levels, making it completely impossible to make Ranged Attacks and causing the character to save or be knocked prone in place. Those who save are merely checked in their movement.

Swirling Blizzard: You call on nature's greatest terror to bring drame to your conflict. The entire area for a mile around is filled with a bitter, swirling blizzard. The ambient temperature drops to freezing and normal snow falls in an additional 3 mile radius. All creatures within the primary area suffer a -4 penalty on Spot, Search, Listen, Ranged Attacks and each round the storm as a 50% change of extinguishing exposed flames, though not flares. All creatures within the area also have concealment [attacks against them fail on a natural 4, 9, 14 or 19]. All movement is considered to be through difficult terrain.

The bard has control over the gusts and flurries of the storm. For an expenditure of one token, he may remove the concealment on one target or increase it to Total Concealment [miss on all odd rolls] until the end of the turn.

Tears of Heaven: The entire battle for miles around is engulfed in chill rain. The rain storm extends out to 1d3 miles from the point of activation. Heavy rain inflicts a -4 penalty on Spot, Search and Listen checks as well as on Ranged Attacks. The rain also has a 50% chance per round of extinguishing exposed flames.

The water seeps into the ground, mysteriously even concrete and stone, turning it into a slippery mess. For one token, the bard may create an area of slippery mire 20ft in diameter at any point within visual range. This mire remains for a number of turns equal to the Bard's Cha modifier and requires a Balance check, DC 10 + 5 per square crossed to avoid falling over in.

Carnival Performer [Carnival]:
    Unlike most bards, who don't form allegiances, you have chosen to tie yourself close to one of the Lords of Mournful Laughter. Your decision to adapt specifically to his tastes makes you slightly more powerful within Carnival but less able to garner an audience outside it.
    Prerequisites: Song Pool
    Description: Within the confines of Carnival, you add +1 to the number of Song Tokens you accrue when you use your Melody ability [this still does not allow you to gain tokens from rolls of 14 or less, however]. Outside of Carnival, however, you suffer a -1 penalty on the number of tokens accrued through Melody, to a minimum of 0 tokens.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2009-11-23 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Updates and Ambiences
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

I know the balance on the Bard is a bit of a pickler but any comments, concerns or ideas would be appreciated.

I've done a lot of things with the classes in this thread that are new ideas for D&D so oppinions are always helpful...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I know the balance on the Bard is a bit of a pickler but any comments, concerns or ideas would be appreciated.

I've done a lot of things with the classes in this thread that are new ideas for D&D so oppinions are always helpful...
    Hmmm...well, I like it, kind of. But wouldn't you run out of song tokens very quickly, have a hard time getting more quickly enough to be very efficient in combat, and end up unable to use enough of your cool options? After all, they don't have any abilities not tied to the song pool besides Fae loan and Uncanny Dodge, do they?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't actually decided on the Ambience functions, but i can see precisely what you mean. My major concern is trying to make them viable without being all conquering...

Gets difficult to guess when they have a refillable power reserve. Tell you what; based on the current stuff, would they be better served with a faster recovery rate or reducing the cost of some of the powers?

I'm thinking recovery rate...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely recovery rate. Although, really, having some kind of base backup ability wouldn't be out of line. I'd say you could just tack on Inspire Courage and Inspire Greatness, since it has no fascinate and no spells, but I imagine you wanted something a little more mechanically unique.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose i could make Narrative Twist into a non-Song ability. That would free up a few tokens. I was going for the feel of the most gripping novels and epics where people were working cross purposes...

or maybe it could just cost 1 token no matter how great the bonus and number of targets.

My main aim is to create a terrain controller that gets around the whole 'I know this is what people would WANT to do with magic rather than just blasting things but we're still going to make it massively high level' thing in D&D.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Then, yes, a cheap or free Narrative Twist is a good idea. It seems to be the most basic Bardic Music boosting ability anyway.

I haven't yet had a chance to read over many of the specific dressings or attacks, but of the few I've looked at, the floor caught my attention. It has an eight-token minimum, which seems way too high. It's not an incredibly strong effect, after all.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Noted. I've switched it down to 2 tokens minimum in my notes and noted that each inch of floor can support 150lb so it'll need 2 inches to support a man in armour.

Instant Pit Trap.

Also, rewording the Melody ability to grant a +10 bonus on Full actions, Normal on Standard and -10 on Swift.

Should help match costs, maybe...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2009-11-01 at 06:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is cool, but not all that powerful. I'll look over the other dressings and attacks soon.

Which reminds me: You said that you needed a better name for attacks? How about Conflicts? It fits the narrative feel of the class.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Conflicts is good; another thought would be "Drama"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Conflicts is good; another thought would be "Drama"
    I'd go with Conflict, since it more accurately describes the effect.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

It's kind of bugging me, I know there's a technical theatre term for the character seeing/being affected by things in the wings but i can't remember it nor find out what it is...

Conflicts for now. [I'm loath to make changes in dribs and drabs because the commands in the table foul up every time i go to edit it...i'll make one big change once i've got the Ambiences written.]