New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Fun with Warforged

I'm interested in making a Warforged character, but I'm not sure what to do with one. Arcane casting is obviously right out, but divine is a possibility. Barbarian is a classic due to the fatigue immunity (Barb10/FB10 is great, right?).

What could I do with an awesome set of stats, 8th level with WBL plus a bit, and access to any WotC book? I'm just looking for ideas to play with. Powergaming is the norm in my group, so a solid cheese filling is always good.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Fun with Warforged

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FF fanboy View Post
    That's... wow. A little more than I need.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulwer View Post
    That's... wow. A little more than I need.
    You asked for a solid cheese filling. Wizard's char op provided.
    If you want something less powerful I'd suggest going Lion spirit totem barbain to get pounce then go bear warrior ASAP then take Frenzuied beserker, and if you DM is into awesome you can attach chains to your wrists along with great axes to swing them like a barbed devil on a charge for onwards of 500 damage with power attack/leap attack/imporved power attacki/ Shock trooper to get the penalty to AC instead of BAB.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulwer View Post
    I'm interested in making a Warforged character, but I'm not sure what to do with one. Arcane casting is obviously right out, but divine is a possibility. Barbarian is a classic due to the fatigue immunity (Barb10/FB10 is great, right?).

What could I do with an awesome set of stats, 8th level with WBL plus a bit, and access to any WotC book? I'm just looking for ideas to play with. Powergaming is the norm in my group, so a solid cheese filling is always good.
    Err, how is arcane casting right out? I'm seeing Wis and Cha for their stat penalties, Int is fine.

That said, there's some fun things you can do with a warforged psion. For one, thanks to Psionic Repair Damage, you can efficiently heal yourself. For two, not requiring food, drink, or sleep means you can do stuff like Brain Lock a guy and stand there concentrating until they're a dessicated husk. Obviously more applicable to an evil group that's not on a tight schedule, but still fun to contemplate. Throw in Psiforged Body for an 'internal' cognizance crystal that scales with your level.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Err, how is arcane casting right out? I'm seeing Wis and Cha for their stat penalties, Int is fine.
    ASF, which you need to take a feat to remove, but said feat gimps you a fair bit....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lert, A. View Post
    ASF, which you need to take a feat to remove, but said feat gimps you a fair bit....
    Why a feat? Twilight enhantment, bam, no ASF.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*shrug*

I'm just trying to get into the guys head. Most people look at the Adamantine Body feat and say "Want!" Which gives you ASF problems, even with enhancements.

He might be thinking otherwise though....

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Can Warforged get the Twilight enhancement? I don't know why, but I just didn't think they qualified.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Can Warforged get the Twilight enhancement? I don't know why, but I just didn't think they qualified.
    Their plating can be enchanted like regular armor.
    Swoop Falcon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

They can get any armor enchantment, they just need to hang around the entire time the wizard or artificer or whoever is doing it.

Also, there's other ways of avoiding the penalty. You could be a Beguiler, for example. Psion is a good choice, though. Get Psionic Repair Damage either from being a Shaper or from burning a feat and you're in great shape. Another choice is Artificer. Luckily, although Use Magic Device is important to them, it's not like that loss of a point vs if you were a human is going to matter much at higher levels once you have a lot of ranks in it. Just make sure your final Charisma does not have a negative modifier and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2008-12-27 at 01:56 AM.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm actually working on a warforged swordsage. I think I'm going to name him "Heartbreaker Series 1373."

Kudos to anyone who gets the reference.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the people in my D&D group plays a Warforged healer, but he plan to multiclass to monk because his slam attack is more effective than his other weapons.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Be a Warforged Bard. Because you can be metal.

Jokes aside, don't go Frenzied Barbarian. They're the leading causes of death and player nerd rage.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalfOrcPirate

I'm rocking the Dragonborn Warforged totemist. You lose your armor for no feat investment, along with your fortification, but retain your lovely subtype, which is described on 196 of Magic of Incarnum, and comes with cool immunities. Not to mention +4 con. the -2 to 3 stats hurts, but for an archivist it's pretty good.

The totemist can go all day. I've got the Adamantine body feat up, and my AC's 22 with soulmelds and no shield. I could go up to 24 if I wanted (took the trait that trades ac for initiative, good deal!!!). This is level 1 by the way. I had to waste feats to boost my will save, because failing a will save when you're the party tank spells party death (hey, steadfast determination ftw.)

My mental stats are straight 6s, so beware ability damage, but you're going to be a heck of a tank. Your AC and HP are in the stratosphere, you can get loads of attacks via Dragon Tail/that feat that gives you tentacles/soulmelds, and you can do stuff with party members like Dragonfire inspiration for +2d6 fire damage on each of your many, many attacks. Feats for the first few levels as a warforged will be, with flaws (without lose steadfast determination and prerequisites).

Aspect: Depends. You can boost your spot and listen high even with crap wisdom, so you can go either mind or wings. I like wings for +10 racial to jump.
    flaw: endurance
    flaw: steadfast determination (CON to WILL SAVES!)
    1: Adamantine Body
    3: Multiattack
    6: Bonus Essentia
    9:Expanded Soulmeld Capacity
    12: Double Chakra (totem)

This build will make you a combat monster. You get like 12 attacks each dealing 1d4+4 damage, which adds up quick, plus you get rend and you can grapple like a fiend. Alternatively, swap Adamantine Body and multiattack for grappling feats and you can literally grapple the tarrasque at higher levels. I threw those on so as to be completely gear independant past level 2.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't dragonborning yourself disqualify you from Adamantine Body?

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Removed due to sudden insight
    Last edited by Asheram; 2008-12-27 at 11:34 AM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    I'm rocking the Dragonborn Warforged totemist. You lose your armor for no feat investment, along with your fortification, but retain your lovely subtype, which is described on 196 of Magic of Incarnum, and comes with cool immunities. Not to mention +4 con. the -2 to 3 stats hurts, but for an archivist it's pretty good.

The totemist can go all day. I've got the Adamantine body feat up, and my AC's 22 with soulmelds and no shield. I could go up to 24 if I wanted (took the trait that trades ac for initiative, good deal!!!). This is level 1 by the way. I had to waste feats to boost my will save, because failing a will save when you're the party tank spells party death (hey, steadfast determination ftw.)

My mental stats are straight 6s, so beware ability damage, but you're going to be a heck of a tank. Your AC and HP are in the stratosphere, you can get loads of attacks via Dragon Tail/that feat that gives you tentacles/soulmelds, and you can do stuff with party members like Dragonfire inspiration for +2d6 fire damage on each of your many, many attacks. Feats for the first few levels as a warforged will be, with flaws (without lose steadfast determination and prerequisites).

Aspect: Depends. You can boost your spot and listen high even with crap wisdom, so you can go either mind or wings. I like wings for +10 racial to jump.
    flaw: endurance
    flaw: steadfast determination (CON to WILL SAVES!)
    1: Adamantine Body
    3: Multiattack
    6: Bonus Essentia
    9:Expanded Soulmeld Capacity
    12: Double Chakra (totem)

This build will make you a combat monster. You get like 12 attacks each dealing 1d4+4 damage, which adds up quick, plus you get rend and you can grapple like a fiend. Alternatively, swap Adamantine Body and multiattack for grappling feats and you can literally grapple the tarrasque at higher levels. I threw those on so as to be completely gear independant past level 2.
    Is there a soulmeld that makes you bypass DR? If not, you could get shut down, or at least nerfed, significantly by the first thing with DR/Anything That's Not Magic. Even a mere DR5 will significantly hurt, and anything with DR10 just sits and laughs at you.

EDIT: Just saw the Dragonfire Inspiration part, and I guess that could help if DI is unlimited usage.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2008-12-27 at 01:01 PM.