New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Crack Pairings VI - We've Finally Stooped to Shipping Ourselves

I think I'll take another stab at this.
    So another Miko&Durkon

Spoiler
    Show
    Durkon was starting to get bored staring at the dunes passing by and his mind wandered back to that first night with Miko after they where captured by her.

The entire order was asleep and Durkon was his sleeping pallet ready when he heard a cough from behind him.
    "I don't know if you remember me but, when I was on a mission to the dwarfen lands you saved me from a goblin attack and I would just like to thank you. So... thank you."
    "Don' mention i' lassie, I think ye thanked me enough back then." Durkon said. This made Miko blush a deep crimson, "Please do not mention that again that night was a stain on my honor, AND DO NOT THINK WE WILL REPEAT THAT, you are still my prisoner and I was young and foolish, if anything you took advantage of me dwarf. So good night." With that she stomped across camp to her sleeping pallet.
    "Oookay" Durkon said, turning back to his bed.
    "What was that all about?" Roy asked. Propping himself on his arm.
    "Nothin lad, nothin. Jus' somethin' from before I joined ye"
    "Well good night, have a nice sleep."

"Durkon... Durkon, gods man snap out of it," Durkon came out of his memories to Roy shaking him.
    "Sorry Roy, 'm jus' tired is all, won' 'appen again lad... it won' 'appen again."
    They continued there treck through the desert, the sun raising behind them.
    Last edited by Cire II; 2010-01-24 at 02:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    So how many people on this thread see mental health professionals? (I see two. )
    I see... again, it works a little differently here. They are organized in teams, and I see four members of a team - a psychiatrist, a psychologist (she sounds like Darth Vader), a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist. But they all work together.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #753
    Dwarf in the Playground

So how many people on this thread see mental health professionals? (I see two. )
    One keeps recommending the wildly successful meds, the other made sure I was progressing and now is more along the lines of what most people think of as a 'shrink', minus the couch.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed

Without improvisation, magic is inherently limited

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

The question then becomes - are we on this thread because we are crazy, or are we crazy because we are on this thread?

Or is there an underlying cause that explains both?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #755
    Banned

Yeah, i'm seeing one of those guys too.

He's supposed to help me with my variety of problems.

Such as needing to wash my hands for long periods of time. I have been known to stand there washing my hands for 15 minutes straight every time i go on the toilet.

That, among other things.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NemoUtopia View Post
    One keeps recommending the wildly successful meds, the other made sure I was progressing and now is more along the lines of what most people think of as a 'shrink', minus the couch.
    One for the medicine, both for the problems.

Or is there an underlying cause that explains both?
    Probably this.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

There is a positive correlation between creativity and mental illness. There is also a connection between synesthesia and creativity and, fascinatingly, synesthesia can (sometimes) be blocked by anti-depressants. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this field over the next ten years or so.

― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #758

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    There is a positive correlation between creativity and mental illness. There is also a connection between synesthesia and creativity and, fascinatingly, synesthesia can (sometimes) be blocked by anti-depressants. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this field over the next ten years or so.
    So we're crazy because we're crazy?

(This made perfect sense in my head.)

9. - Top - End - #759
    Barbarian in the Playground

So we're crazy because we're crazy?

(This made perfect sense in my head.)
    I suspect it's because most if not all of us are lonely people and the Internet provides a substitution for companionship.

Guys, under what circumstances do you think Redcloak, Aarindarius, and Vaarsuvius would cry, respectively? I'm trying to see how to make them react to a certain revelation in one of my stories.

Spoiler
    Show

The April Squickies Award for Best Crack Pairing Story

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Smurf View Post
    Guys, under what circumstances do you think Redcloak, Aarindarius, and Vaarsuvius would cry, respectively? I'm trying to see how to make them react to a certain revelation in one of my stories.
    Redcloak (post Battle of Azure City) would weep to see goblins needlessly slaughtered.

Vaarsuvius would weep at the destruction of knowledge or power. Seeing a library razed and burned, for instance.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2010-01-24 at 01:46 PM.

― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dwarf in the Playground

What's ironic is that people think that 'creativity/achievement in spite of illness' is a phrase meaning 'has both and managed both.' The thing with disorders is that it's a lot like other traits across humanity: it's not if, it's how much. In particular for myself, I am a chronic depression sufferer (which is unipolar?) only recently diagnosed because of how slow the decline was before the final train-wreck. Oh, and I can attest that depression directly affects inspiration to write 'that kind of love' )_)...(_(...

Having to deal with depression may or may not have any correlation with creativity, but it was only after taking anti-depressants that I was able to really let my creativity [and writing] fly beyond what many people assosciate with OCD: precisely ordered and structured things like Legos, creating 3.0/3.5 content with an extreme eye for mechanics, etc. Now I'm on a medication regimen I adhere to with religious fervor, because the correlation between medication and my feeling better/normal again is a perfect one that's unmissabe. Dry mouth is annoying, but I didn't drink enough water anyway and the toothpaste for it isn't horrid like a lot of medicinal things.

I know I'm lucky as far that goes...how many people get to be the poster model for how medication and therapy help someone? I'm just glad to be on the up-and-up and writing for real again
    Last edited by NemoUtopia; 2010-01-24 at 01:42 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

What's ironic is that people think that 'creativity/achievement in spite of illness' is a phrase meaning 'has both and managed both.' The thing with disorders is that it's a lot like other traits across humanity: it's not if, it's how much. In particular for myself, I am a chronic depression sufferer (which is unipolar?) only recently diagnosed because of how slow the decline was before the final train-wreck.
    I think the consensus is that chronic depression may be unipolar (or you may just not have had a manic episode yet), but there's no such thing as unipolar mania. But there's ongoing discussion about this.

Now I'm on a medication regimen I adhere to with religious fervor, because the correlation between medication and my feeling better/normal again is a perfect one that's unmissabe. Dry mouth is annoying, but I didn't drink enough water anyway and the toothpaste for it isn't horrid like a lot of medicinal things.

I know I'm lucky as far that goes...how many people get to be the poster model for how medication and therapy help someone? I'm just glad to be on the up-and-up and writing for real again
    I hear you. I have been committed twice over the last 15 months and have received electroconvulsive therapy in addition to medicine and counseling. And it works... I'm slowly (oh, so slowly) on my way back to normal.

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #763

I suspect it's because most if not all of us are lonely people and the Internet provides a substitution for companionship.

V had a mental breakdown when hir family was threatened. I got the feeling that s/he was about to start crying out of anguish.

Redcloak if the plan goes to naught/is FORCED to realize and face the magnitude of what he's done head-on (Xykon's "Bitch" lecture proverbially taken up to 11?)

Aarindarius when s/he learns what V did.

I hear you. I have been committed twice over the last 15 months and have received electroconvulsive therapy in addition to medicine and counseling. And it works... I'm slowly (oh, so slowly) on my way back to normal.
    Electroconvulsive therapy?!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-01-24 at 01:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Dwarf in the Playground

Either that, or my manic occurences simply don't push far enough to register as obviously having a manic episode, which is actually pretty plausible. Looking back, I think anecdotal evidence to support this would be some of the especially lucid days I had even when the fog was descending: the down factor was overpoweringly strong, but the up factor could occasionally buoy. One could also make the argument that times when I literally feel compelled to write/read/do-something are actually manic episodes, but I don't know enough to make that a statement [also: true self-diagnosis is usually inviting folly]. Certainly something I'll bring to the next session! It took me over a year to get to where I am, so never let it be said the road isn't long.

On a happier note, I have been inspired to make an attempt on my original RNG: V + V-gs. It will come later, but the second half of "Tsukiko's Ploy" shouldn't be much longer now...

[edit]
    At first, that was my reaction too. But applied mildly and only increasing the effect gradually can and has actually helped many. The horror stories exist for a reason (and are certainly inhuman occurences), but there is promise with reasonable and intelligent application...which is admittedly hard to accomplish.
    Last edited by NemoUtopia; 2010-01-24 at 02:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't, but I probably should be.

My mother and I are both synesthesic (it was weird when I first found out that nobody else associated things with colours). And being artistic and liking reading are something my mother, my grandmother and I all have in common, but none of the male members of my family are at all interested in. Coincidence?

That said, feeling depressed definitely does NOT help with artistic ability. I literally lose the ability to even think about drawing on days that I wake up feeling moody (which then gets me even more upset).

Oh, and all of my family are weird and eccentric. Except my brother, who is a typical teenager.

Aandy might cry if something bad happened to V and there was nothing he (or anyone/anything he knew) could do to help.

...Wait.
    a certain revelation
    I'm going to be wondering about this for ages now.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-01-24 at 02:31 PM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

It's not like in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest... You're taken to a small room where an anesthesiologist puts you under, and then you wake up with a headache. And you do that two or three times a week for a couple of weeks. The only common side effect is that your memory of those weeks is likely to be patchy or non-existent.

It's a good way to deal with severe depression, because it breaks the depressive mood quickly - four to eight treatments are usually sufficient. And then you add medicine and/or counseling for long-term effects. To put it into context, I was suicidal when I was brought in, and had plans for doing a shechita on myself.

My, this thread took a turn for the blacker suddenly.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2010-01-24 at 02:08 PM.

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    My mother and I are both synesthesic. And being artistic and liking reading are something my mother, my grandmother and I all have in common, but none of the male members of my family are at all interested in. Coincidence?
    What kind of synesthesia?

It's not like in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest... You're taken to a small room where an anesthesiologist puts you under, and then you wake up with a headache. And you do that two or three times a week for a couple of weeks. The only common side effect is that your memory of those weeks is likely to be patchy or non-existent.
    I'm sorry. I just have a massive phobia of people messing with my head.

And fire.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

And fire.
    Here's a good talk on the subject.

― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

And fire.
    That's just natural.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770

Here's a good talk on the subject.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at it in a bit.

Funny story with the fire phobia. When I was in elementary school, I qualified for this accelerated science/humanities program on the weekends, along with several other people from the area; almost all whom I had never met.

Two of those people who I became friends with were the boy I finally had the courage to declare my feelings towards and his twin sister.

One day, during the chemistry program, in front of all of us the instructor had a demonstration involving having us (I was about 8 or 9 at the time) light bunsen burners for an experiment; then in a later demonstration he dropped sodium into a beaker of water.

Remember what I said about my borderline pyrophobia? Well, it was full-blown pyrophobia back then. (8 years has really helped me with this).

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of synesthesia?
    I associate numbers, letters, music, names, days of the week, etc. as colours, and sometimes patterns. At least that's the only things I'm aware of. It gets confusing if you try to think about it.

For instance, 'e' is blue, and 't' is brown, but 'te' is orange.

Doesn't everyone? The thought of letting someone knock me out and mess with my brain makes my skin crawl.
    DeviantArt

22. - Top - End - #772

I associate numbers, letters, music, names, days of the week, etc. as colours, and sometimes patterns. At least that's the only things I'm aware of. It gets confusing if you try to think about it.

For instance, 'e' is blue, and 't' is brown, but 'te' is orange.
    Nah, it's not that confusing.

You think Crystal should join in on the Grubwiggler/Bozzok/Hank madness?

Or how about a Crystal/Bozzok?

Or how about an entire series answering the question: How do you rise up the ranks in the Thieves' Guild?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-01-24 at 02:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Banned

I have a deep fear of smoking.

Every time someone with a cigarete/cigar get's anywhere near me i completely freak out and lost the ability to breathe.
    I almost lost conciousness once from lack of oxygen because some jerk kept following me around and blowing smoke in my face.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iam seeing one. But it isn't helping me. Usely I write RPG rules in a schetch pad while she's talking about my many problems.
    Evil. Iam diffrent. Have a problem with that...
    My avatars
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks To Dashwood for Spider avatar.
    Thanks To Mr Saturn for Goth Man avatar.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post

Every time someone with a cigarete/cigar get's anywhere near me i completely freak out and lost the ability to breathe.
    I almost lost conciousness once from lack of oxygen because some jerk kept following me around and blowing smoke in my face.
    You wouldn't like it in my house then. My dad smokes cigars no matter how much we tell him to stop. He finally started smoking the cigars on the porch instead of in the den when one of my gerbils got sick.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    You wouldn't want to be on my schoolbus then.

And even without the smoking, it quickly gets annoying sitting with a bunch of teenagers who are talking about their... 'social encounters'. Loudly. In detail.

Every freaking day. "In the shower" seemed to be popular last month.

Or how about an entire series answering the question: How do you rise up the ranks in the Thieves' Guild?
    Does it also give us the real reason Haley left?
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-01-24 at 02:47 PM.
    DeviantArt

27. - Top - End - #777

You wouldn't want to be on my schoolbus then.

And even without the smoking, it quickly gets annoying sitting with a bunch of teenagers who are talking about their... 'social encounters'. Loudly. In detail.

Every freaking day.
    How do you think I learned about the "other" applications of the soundproofed music rooms? I'm not that depraved.

Also, have you even had someone running past you in the hallway shouting about how his nipples taste like milk duds (Exact words)?

Does it also give us the real reason Haley left?
    Yes. Yes it will.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-01-24 at 02:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, have you even had someone running past you in the hallway shouting about how his nipples taste like milk duds (Exact words)?
    What?

But how does...?
    DeviantArt

29. - Top - End - #779
    Banned

Ouch...

At least my own home is safe.
    But the moment i step outside the door...

They are everywhere!

Then there's those guys sitting in wheelchairs with oxygen tanks outside the hospitals all day because smoking all their lives have ruined their lungs.
    And they are STILL smoking

30. - Top - End - #780

What?

But how does...?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

"In the shower" seemed to be popular last month.
    Buh...? Wouldn't they get caught?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-01-24 at 02:50 PM.