New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe make him less the "action hero" and more the leader-type. Sean Connery seemed to do pretty well as he got older.
    Han Solo the grizzled Rebel leader? I'm sold.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    The question at work today was who will direct? I think either James Cameron, JJ Abrams or Joss Whedon.
    I figure if Abrams gets it he'll have both Star Wars AND Star Trek and will amass so much nerd power that he will go mad. Then only Joss Whedon will be able to stop him.
    Just remember that we're not the target audience of the films anymore. The new trilogy will be targeted, like all of the other Star Wars films were targeted, towards pre-adolescent boys. I'm not sure any of those directors will gear the films towards the target audience.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Just remember that we're not the target audience of the films anymore. The new trilogy will be targeted, like all of the other Star Wars films were targeted, towards pre-adolescent boys. I'm not sure any of those directors will gear the films towards the target audience.
    Which is why Asoka was sporting large c-cups with a tube top.....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Which is why Asoka was sporting large c-cups with a tube top.....
    And why Leia was in a bikini and loin cloth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The new movie is set for a couple decades after Return of the Jedi, so they can't exactly look for a young guy to play a character who'd be at least in his late 40's and who is not a force user. Besides, re-watch the originals. They're not exactly based on physical stunts. The most Han Solo ever did was jog and fire a blaster.

The biggest problem is that Harrison Ford has said in the past he wouldn't be interested. If he refuses, I back Nathan Fillion as the only other option.

I swear to cow, if they cast some muscled-up he-man type as Han Solo, I will spill my Doritos all over my keyboard (Yay self-satirization!).
    Last edited by JackRackham; 2012-10-31 at 04:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Well, according to her backstory, she is. Whether or not that's just an Informed Ability is another matter. Compared to other Imperial leaders, she just might be.
    In The Essential Guide to Warfare, we find out that while she was very good in tests- her results tended to rely too much on attrition.

Thus- when she didn't have large amounts of resources- she tended to do worse.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

The question at work today was who will direct? I think either James Cameron, JJ Abrams or Joss Whedon.
    I figure if Abrams gets it he'll have both Star Wars AND Star Trek and will amass so much nerd power that he will go mad. Then only Joss Whedon will be able to stop him.
    Get real! The only real options we have are M. Night Shyamalan, Uwe Boll, or Paul W.S. Anderson.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so Huey, Dewey and Louie are Han and Leia's kids, which one is a sith lord?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Ok, so Huey, Dewey and Louie are Han and Leia's kids, which one is a sith lord?
    Huey. He's the one that wears red, and we know red is evil in Star Wars lore. Dewey (blue) and Louie (green) will be jedi.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Huey. He's the one that wears red, and we know red is evil in Star Wars lore. Dewey (blue) and Louie (green) will be jedi.
    But Donald wore blue and he's a Sith!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    But Donald wore blue and he's a Sith!
    Unfortunately, Donald fell to the dark side. Not too surprising when you consider his anger.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, Donald fell to the dark side. Not too surprising when you consider his anger.
    I hope he force lightning's Chip and Dale.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
    The biggest problem is that Harrison Ford has said in the past he wouldn't be interested. If he refuses, I back Nathan Fillion as the only other option.
    Hard to see how Nathan Fillion would get cast. He has the lead role on Castle and the show is very likely to get at least one more season, meaning he'd be busy at least into mid-2014.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

It'll be nice to see to have a movie that continues the story rather than a foregone conclusion backstory.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Chainsawsuit speculates that it's all a horrible practical joke.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

I would be thrilled about someone other than George Lucas working on Star Wars ...

... if only it wasn't Disney.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i am over my initial shock...what i am concerned about at this very second is what will happen to the clone wars...i think its a fairly decent show and i dont want to see it go to Disney XD...i know Disney expressed interest in something similiar but will they make an all new show or port the current clone wars over? anyone know?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Okay guys so I found a report that this "Episode VII" will be "an original story" and explicitly not the Thrawn trilogy.

So now then under the working premise that the EU is going to be definitively shattered in tiny pieces by a superlaser as the new movies will not be adapting matierial... what's the best/most-tolerable way to go about this?

I see a range of options:

1) Blow everything down to G canon as the only canon and build from there.

2) As above but draw heavily on the old EU allowing the 'most important' characters to be rebooted as much the same characters in a new continuity.

3) Pick and choose certain EU material arbitrarily as having still happened.

4) Invalidate certain years ABY to place the new Trilogy in with only direct concflicts being thrown out (Example: Between Endor and Leia getting pregnant with Jania/Jacen)

5) Set a certain point ABY to include all material before, nothing after. Have new events unfold from there. (Ex: Post Thrawn, Post-Dark Empire, Pre-Vong, etc)

6) Screw even G canon and blow the whole thing to flinders with an Abram's Trek style reboot. (They're not planning that yet presumably but who's to say?)

Any of these can include some really meaningless statements about alternate timelines or whatever if you feel that somehow mitigates things for you. They don't for me, but certainly the EU is positively stiff with stories post Endor so theres no way to put new stories in without some kind of damage. Possibly critical.

Me I actually think I could even become a SW fan again as long as Thrawn exists, Luke marries Mara Jade, and the Solos have three kids named Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin.

So I'm leaning toward 2/3/5, clear out the detritus but recognize the EU did manage repeatedly to top its source material. On the other hand I would weep few tears for the Vong unhappening along with everything that happened after that. Lord knows those masochists along with RotS killed my personal fandom collectively.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

My issues with disney's legal department and their influence on copyright law aside, LucasFilm couldn't have gone to a better company. Worst case scenario, Star Wars only gets a little better than it was (Because nobody could make movies as bad as the prequel trilogy in that universe.) But Disney rarely goes worst case. There isn't a more competent studio in Hollywood to handle this.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    On the other hand I would weep few tears for the Vong unhappening along with everything that happened after that. Lord knows those masochists along with RotS killed my personal fandom collectively.
    Yes, eliminating the Vong could only be a good thing, IMO. I know they were trying for something different, but did it have to be Vong different?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

21. - Top - End - #201
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I would be thrilled about someone other than George Lucas working on Star Wars ...

I'm thrilled it is Disney. Like Talya said, there's no more competent studio in Hollywood to handle this.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I honestly think it's a good thing that George Lucas won't be heavily involved any more. And I think Disney will treat it with the respect it deserves.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #203

Okay guys so I found a report that this "Episode VII" will be "an original story" and explicitly not the Thrawn trilogy.

So now then under the working premise that the EU is going to be definitively shattered in tiny pieces by a superlaser as the new movies will not be adapting matierial... what's the best/most-tolerable way to go about this?

2) As above but draw heavily on the old EU allowing the 'most important' characters to be rebooted as much the same characters in a new continuity.

4) Invalidate certain years ABY to place the new Trilogy in with only direct concflicts being thrown out (Example: Between Endor and Leia getting pregnant with Jania/Jacen)

5) Set a certain point ABY to include all material before, nothing after. Have new events unfold from there. (Ex: Post Thrawn, Post-Dark Empire, Pre-Vong, etc)

6) Screw even G canon and blow the whole thing to flinders with an Abram's Trek style reboot. (They're not planning that yet presumably but who's to say?)

Any of these can include some really meaningless statements about alternate timelines or whatever if you feel that somehow mitigates things for you. They don't for me, but certainly the EU is positively stiff with stories post Endor so theres no way to put new stories in without some kind of damage. Possibly critical.

Me I actually think I could even become a SW fan again as long as Thrawn exists, Luke marries Mara Jade, and the Solos have three kids named Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin.

So I'm leaning toward 2/3/5, clear out the detritus but recognize the EU did manage repeatedly to top its source material. On the other hand I would weep few tears for the Vong unhappening along with everything that happened after that. Lord knows those masochists along with RotS killed my personal fandom collectively.
    As cool as it would be to see some of the EU material on the big screen, I really doubt it will happen. The problem is that a lot of it just isn't all that great. It's not terrible, it's just mediocre. There were really only a few books that stood out as being really good.

I think the best thing they could do with it would be to set Episodes 7+ far enough in the future that the EU material could still have happened, but there would be enough time since it happened that the world could conceivably take whatever shape they want it to take that might look nothing like the EU world. That would also help take care of having to get new actors for all the main characters if they set it shortly after RotJ.

It's also not a fantastic idea to completely invalidate the EU because if it continues to exist and evolve, they'll continue to make money off of it.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

The sky is falling! Everybody panic!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Basically this for me. Anything past 25 ABY (start of the NJO) can go, no question. I'd like to see EU canon stay the same up through 19 ABY (the surrender of the Empire and the end of the Galactic Civil War) since as I said before most of the stuff up through there is actually good, but as long as they don't screw up the high points (Thrawn, Centerpoint, X-Wing series, etc.) I could deal with a few retcons here and there.

I think I read that they're setting it 10 years after RotJ, which would put it in 14 ABY right around the Jedi Academy trilogy. The two big events in the "good" books after that are the Corellian Insurrection and Black Fleet Crisis, so as long as they just ignore those instead of explicitly retconning them that should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I think the best thing they could do with it would be to set Episodes 7+ far enough in the future that the EU material could still have happened, but there would be enough time since it happened that the world could conceivably take whatever shape they want it to take that might look nothing like the EU world. That would also help take care of having to get new actors for all the main characters if they set it shortly after RotJ.
    No. No no no no no. That's the line of thinking that got us NJO/Legacy Era in the first place, and if the movies are set after those they'll have to take all of the newer crap into account. Not a good idea at all.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post

Why? Why do you think Disney will screw it up?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
    That's a good way to put it.

I like plenty of Disney films.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I think they should release the long-awaited sequel to Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. The made-for-TV Ewok trilogy must be complete!!!

And that movie had a brutal introduction. The bad guys kill the little girl's family at the very beginning.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Well, personally, if they make Thrawn and TIE Fighter have unhappened, I'm done, as those were by far the best bits of Star Wars. (NJO and onwards is already uncanoned for me anyway, so I really don't care about that end.) They might get a pass if Thrawn (and Mara) appear in some recognisable form, otherwise: nope.

And unThrawning seems the most likely happening, because he's not a sith, and thus doesn't have a shiny lightsabre or superpowers to wave around (and thus likely to be far too subtle/different a villain to those in most other SW non-EU-or-Clone-Wars-cartoon villains.)

If they do unThrawn Thrawn, the only way they'll get any pennies from me again, like period, is if they have a serious starship battle (because I will forgive almost anything for a serious starship battle); but I'm talking like, ten-twenty solid minutes of massed starship combat, without any lightsabre duels getting in the way (because starships have been and always will be infinitely cooler than laser-swords.)

If they, as suggested above, are setting in 14ABY or thereabouts, I won't have too many problems; that, at least, would theoretically preserve all the best bits (Thrawn/X-Wing series), and I'd be grimly prepared to sacrifice Hand of Thrawn in the event that it could mean Thrawn may still have a chance to come back...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-31 at 08:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    This marks the end of fanfilms as we know them.
    Exactly. One of the best things about Lucas was he supported his fans by letting them run wild with their fandom. Fan fiction movies, shorts, artwork, comic strips, short stories and a whole lot more. As long as they did it for love and not profit he left them alone.

Disney can be like Scrooge McDuck and every evil queen in their movies rolled into one.

Oh and the first thing I ever thought of when Supernatural originally aired.

Jared Padalecki should be Luke Skywalker.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2012-10-31 at 08:44 PM.