New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How to Reliably Survive a Tornado, Pre-Epic [3.5]

Greetings and Salutations, friends! The manuscript you’ve just no doubt purchased from your local vendor (or found in his trash) is a recounting of how one can reliably survive an encounter with the mother of all foes; the dreaded Tornado.

Most balk at the idea of crossing paths with this fearsome enemy to man, and most should. Tornadoes are as dangerous as they are windy. Now, you may encounter this beast one day on a journey of your own, so it is necessary to pay heed to what it is capable of.

A Tornado is CR 10, however, it is capable of killing just about any PC that may cross it. According to the SRD:

“Those who come in contact with the actual funnel cloud are picked up and whirled around for 1d10 rounds, taking 6d6 points of damage per round, before being violently expelled”.

Falling damage may apply afterwards, which can deal as much as 20d6 damage. All things considered, one who gets sucked into a tornado can be dealt a grand total of 80d6 damage; which is not a boat you want to be in, my friend. This baby can deal up to 480 points of damage to you, which is nothing to scoff at (the odds of this are approximately 5.596 × 10^(-63)).

With the proper character structure, you will never have to worry about this absurdly unlikely event ever happening to you. Your character must own all of the following:

- 20 levels of d12 HD class
    - an effective CON of 46
    - A Potion of Aid

A Dwarf Barbarian does the trick very well (starting CON 20, +8 from mighty rage (gained at level 20), +6 from a CON-boosting item, +5 from levels, +5 inherent bonus from 5 consecutive wishes, and Improved Toughness).

On average, a d12 HD will grant you 6.5 HP. Add average HP each level (with max at first), drink your potion (get average roll), and you will have 471 HP. This means that at the very worst, you will be knocked to -9 HP at the end of your encounter (unless it picks you up again).

Now, should you expect to join a tornado-heavy game, and have drawn the ire of the cosmos, you know how to stay alive. Take that, universe!
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-11-14 at 10:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How to Reliably Survive a Tornado, Pre-Epic [3.5]

A ring of Feather Fall or the like will also help a lot, removing that pesky 20d6 falling damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Or be a Master of Many Forms 7, and turn into something with regeneration... Be sure to pick up steadfast determination (you get Endurance as a bonus feat if you enter the class right, anyway) to avoid death from massive damage!
    Last edited by ChaosDefender24; 2008-11-14 at 06:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Rope Trick

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Control Weather. Fight fire with fire.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Turn ethereal or incorporeal.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Interestingly enough, it turns out objects are mentioned nowhere in the Tornado's entry. A Necropolitan or similar undead is fine.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Control Winds will tame wicked tornadoes four levels and 10 minutes earlier than Control Weather ever will.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Cast Stormrage.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Don't tell your DM to roll for weather. No seriously! My group told me to (said it could be fun), and I rolled a tornado. I nerfed it (they are level 3) so everyone lived, but really, it was a TPK waiting to happen.

Also, by a Frenzied Berserker. When it damages you, fly into a deathless frenzy. There, you outlast the tornado.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

How about using stone shape on self? How would that affect damage?

Of course, the barbarian plan works better than spellcasting because of Concentration problems inside a 300+ km/h whirlwind!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Alter Self/Polymorph/Wild Shape/Metamorphosis into something with a Burrow speed. Cast Stone Shape to make a shelter of solid rock. Cast Meld Into Stone and wait for it to pass. Be capable of outrunning it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous_Man View Post
    Rope Trick
    2nd level spell > CR10 environmental threat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I agree that rope trick works quite well.

I think that having a dig speed and/or getting underground would work pretty well, not as easy as having the party spellcaster cast a single 2nd level spell, but still.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Cast Teleport.
    After some x length of time, the charge in the capacitor went down to 0.1e-17[mV]. After writing the answer on the board, my professor turned to the class, pointed at it, and said "What's this number?" We said "That's one times ten to the negative 18 millivolts" when he interupted us and said "Wrong! The answer is zero. If you can't accept that 0.1e-17[mV] is equal to zero, you need to change your major to math right now, or you will hate the rest of your career."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

On average a tornado deals 115.5 plus 70 falling damage. The tornado advances at 250 feet per round. Casting it and getting the party inside takes 1 round plus a round per party member. Not to mention concentration checks in high wind. The DM has a 1% chance of rolling severe weather.

And beating it with a 2nd level spell? On a 3rd level caster? Did you really prepare that in your highest level spell slot? Plus it takes 1 round per party member to enter plus a round to cast. If the tornado's that far away you might be able to run for cover or just get lucky and it won't even come for you. That hardly seems like a challenge anyway.

Psssh, how about I do it with a level 1 character, with no special prep?
    Ranger 1
    Max survival w/ 14 wis => +6 mod.
    gear: rations, camping stuff, etc.

Take a 10 on the DC 15 survival check to predict weather a day in advance. Walk 24+ miles away whenever a tornado is predicted. No special prep necessary.

With 2 levels, an 18 wis, feats, knowledge(nature) and knowledge(geography) bump you can get survival up to 18, allowing you to predict the tornado 3 days in advance.

Avoiding the tornado really isn't that hard. I think it's CR 10 when you actually defeat it or accidentally walk right into one.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2008-11-14 at 09:19 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    2nd level spell > CR10 environmental threat.

i lol'd
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-11-14 at 08:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    I agree that rope trick works quite well.

I think that having a dig speed and/or getting underground would work pretty well, not as easy as having the party spellcaster cast a single 2nd level spell, but still.
    For a Druid, that's not a problem - Summon Nature's Ally II (you'll also need Speak with Animals) can get you a Dire Badger, which has a special Dig speed - it leaves a usable tunnel. For another caster, you'll need Summon Monster III, for a Celestial Dire Badger - with the bonus that the Speak With Animals spell isn't needed, as Celestial Dire Badgers technically understand Common.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19

Stormcaster Capstone. Immune to being blown away, knocked down or checked by winds.
    But that takes so much effort to get to 15th level to beat a CR 10 challenge without trying

Stormlord is much more fun (And involves worshiping Talos for extra fun). At 3rd level storms have no effect on you (Anything thrown by them even... They somehow miss you). 6th level, you can fly during storms.

And if you want to claim these abilites don't affect tornado's, they are listed under "Powerful Storms" in the DMG, and are in the table "Wind Effects"
    Tornado, who needs to worry.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chineselegolas View Post
    Stormcaster Capstone. Immune to being blown away, knocked down or checked by winds.
    But that takes so much effort to get to 15th level to beat a CR 10 challenge without trying

Stormlord is much more fun (And involves worshiping Talos for extra fun). At 3rd level storms have no effect on you (Anything thrown by them even... They somehow miss you). 6th level, you can fly during storms.

And if you want to claim these abilites don't affect tornado's, they are listed under "Powerful Storms" in the DMG, and are in the table "Wind Effects"
    I feel not enough attention is being given to my "Be a horrid undead monster" suggestion.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chineselegolas View Post

Stormsinger. Literally dispel the tornado with your voice. And then in the next round, make it your own. >D
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Did...nobody understand the point? I...I'm...this...idfbgspkjgf

I can take "Dude, that's just not a funny joke" but, this...actually depresses me.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-11-14 at 10:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post

I can take "Dude, that's just not a funny joke" but, this...actually depresses me.
    You presented a way to survive a tornado, a task that quite a few of my friends have done, that required level 20. We decided to find much easier ways of doing it. It's not depressing, it's the playground.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.
    can i sig that? because that is just pure win...

-UGNG

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure. my subliminal messages will be spread by you forever!!!1!
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    You presented a way to survive a tornado, a task that quite a few of my friends have done, that required level 20. We decided to find much easier ways of doing it. It's not depressing, it's the playground.
    Finding an easier way to do it completely misses the idea. I was trying to provoke "lol, tornadoes".

And I wanted a way to set up a joke that involves grappling your foes and dragging them with you into a tornado as viable means of dealing damage.

You know, good old nonsense.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-11-14 at 11:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, good old nonsense.
    Nonsense? This. Is. PLAYGROUND!

Yeah, I know. Close enough.
    Last edited by monty; 2008-11-14 at 11:43 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

28. - Top - End - #28

I love to take jokes literally for precisely this reason.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway, if you're looking for nonsense, just head over to the weekly monk thread.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Anyway, if you're looking for nonsense, just head over to the weekly monk thread.
    lol, monks.
    Last edited by Vinotaur; 2008-11-14 at 11:56 PM.