New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

So, the only other thread I could find was the skyward sword thread, and I couldn't post on that without commiting thread necromacy. Either way, I'm a big fan of all the games, and pretty well versed in the lore around the series.

This thread is for theories, questions, comments or activities that are Zelda related. I can answer a lot of things, but I'm sure many other can and will put in their two cents too!

So if you like the music, the art, the game style, the puzzle solving, the plot or the characters - You're in the right place! Make sure to write in spoilers for things like plot in skyward sword, and possibly the other games. Despite what you may think, some people haven't played all the games, so be considerate!

------
    All Threads Zelda

Let's Plays:
    LaZodiac plays Skyward Sword
    Majora's Mask Point Race

Homebrews:
    Zelda D20 - Homebrew
    3.5 Edition - Legend of Zelda Classes, based on the different incarnations of Link
    5th Edition - Legend of Zelda Races

Polls:

While I appreciate what you top 2 or 3 favorites are, I'll only count the first one. So please distinguish which is your top game. Otherwise its left to me to judge which, and that's not really something I'd like to do much of!

Previous Polls:
    Favorite Zelda Game Winner: A Link to the Past

Current Poll:
    Favorite Dungeon!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-06-08 at 12:16 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

And to start things off, I just saw the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Godesses and I have to say - It was FLIPPING AMAZING. If you get the chance to see it on it's tour of the country, DO SO. You won't regret it.

For those of you who don't know what this is: http://zelda-symphony.com/

Yeah.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How different is it from the 25th anniversary cd that came with skyward sword?

Oh, and subbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    How different is it from the 25th anniversary cd that came with skyward sword?

Oh, and subbed.
    Almost NONE of it was in the CD. All new complilations themed from different games. And stick around for some encores at the end for some REAL treats. And they had a big screen up with imagry and gameplay from each game in time with the music. Very well done.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, nice! Any specific highlights?
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, nice! Any specific highlights?
    First they did an introduction medley composed of all the themese, then they did one on kakariko village, then a medley of many of the ocarina tunes.

Then set 1 was Ocarina of time, 2 was Wind Waker, Intermission, 3 was Twilight princess, and finally 4 was a link to the past.

I shall not give away the encores!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-07-26 at 12:50 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Did the introductory medley involve the Spirit Tracks theme, Dragon Roost Island, and the Dark World theme? Was one of the encores the Fairy theme, and was Gerudo Valley its own encore or part of the OoT medley?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Did the introductory medley involve the Spirit Tracks theme, Dragon Roost Island, and the Dark World theme? Was one of the encores the Fairy theme, and was Gerudo Valley its own encore or part of the OoT medley?
    Gerudo was it's own (one of the encores), Dragon roost was in wind waker at points (medley), darkworld in twight with midna's theme and some other things, Spirit tracks really wasn't in it that much, if at all. If it was it was in the opening medley. The fairy theme came in to introduce the second half before the second 2 sets.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Question on original NES gold cartridge Legend Of Zelda:

In the original NES game manual, you know those prologue illustrations that look like they're screenshots from an anime rather than just normal illustrations? Are they from an actual Japanese anime, maybe an obscure one? I've always wanted to watch that.

The reason they look like screenshots is because the background is painted, but the characters are cel-shaded. Like how cartoon/anime cels are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Question on original NES gold cartridge Legend Of Zelda:

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    In the original NES game manual, you know those prologue illustrations that look like they're screenshots from an anime rather than just normal illustrations? Are they from an actual Japanese anime, maybe an obscure one? I've always wanted to watch that.

The reason they look like screenshots is because the background is painted, but the characters are cel-shaded. Like how cartoon/anime cels are.
    They are not from an anime, just artwork for the game. The only animated series was the one on the mario brothers tv show, which had 13 episodes to it and was generally un-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    "Links"
    Thanks for the links! I may make a "link" (har har) list on the OP for all thing Zelda. Can't right now, but in the future!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-07-27 at 06:45 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've been meaning to make a Zelda Thread...

I'm curious about the whole "Time Line" thing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I still think that section should have been split off from the bad ending of Majora's Mask. Because Termina canonically dies exactly once, during the cycle that you're stuck as the Deku scrub, and LttP resembles Twilight Princess in enough respects that it could easily be TP without the guidance of the Hero's Shade. But alas, my headcanon-fu is no match for their Word of God karate.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post

Nintendo officially released a game time line in the winter, and honestly...I was less than happy with it. I was cool with two timelines...(kinda)...but three?

I would have preffered it if it was all one continuous line, but instead it splits at ocarina.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And one of the main reasons I disagree with it is Link didn't lose in ocarina. Alas, link must have defeated Ganondorf too many times for them to accept all of them as continuitous. It's still canon...just for the fact that if you died at ALL in ocarina of time, the hero defeated time would happen. But I see where you're going with that...and I'm with you. But I don't call the shots.

I personally would have liked the explination of hyrule looking so different in some games was because the flood in Wind Waker and then eventual receed of the waters reformed the world. Ah well. Still love the games.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-07-27 at 08:44 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I personally would have liked the explination of hyrule looking so different in some games was because the flood in Wind Waker and then eventual receed of the waters reformed the world. Ah well. Still love the games.
    Sadly, I don't think that would have worked, if only because the point of Daphnes' wish at the end of Wind Waker was to completely destroy the old Hyrule; that of Ocarina, minish cap, etc., so that the youngr generation could be free of the past. Spirit Tracks' "Hyrule" is explicitly a new continent, and a major NPC mentions meeting Tetra. I think the current handwave is a combo of artistic license and natural forces over several thousand years.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, I don't think that would have worked, if only because the point of Daphnes' wish at the end of Wind Waker was to completely destroy the old Hyrule; that of Ocarina, minish cap, etc., so that the youngr generation could be free of the past. Spirit Tracks' "Hyrule" is explicitly a new continent, and a major NPC mentions meeting Tetra. I think the current handwave is a combo of artistic license and natural forces over several thousand years.
    Ah yes, but they created a New Hyrule...which could eventually become similar to the old one. Haha. but yes, your point is made. I'm pretty pissed at Daphnes for doing that, either way. Though since there's two other timelines, I guess it's ok. Now they have a timeline without Hyrule or Ganondorf, a timeline that's in Hyrule and the potential for all the reincarnations to continue, and the defeated timeline, where the latest link has become "the last hero". Not to mention you could put a game anywhere in between the current ones, or pre-ocarina (or even skyward).

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They did say they were going to try and mix it up a big in future, so both the WW and TP timelines are technically open. Pre-skyward doesn't sound too likely, as it would have to eschew both the Master Sword(not forged until SS, although the Goddess Sword might take its place) and, technically, the Zelda figure (she didn't exist then, not in the capacity she took on in SS). However, the spaces between MC and SS, or MC and OoT, can all provide an opportunity to decon-recon another part of the Zelda mythos.

("decon-recon" here meaning "exploit the basic tropes for story fodder", a good example being Zelda's plot in SS)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be interested in a big story arc. Something that better made a connection between things.

So- what's everyone's favorite Zelda game...and why?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

With the arrival of Skyward Sword, I'm putting it as my favourite. It was everything I wanted it to be, even if not everyone else agrees.

A Link to the Past is a close second.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'll make a tally at the top! Just for the sake of being pointless! I'll reserve my favorite for later though. >:D

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've only personally played SS and TP, so put those as first and second, respectively. However, I've seen LPs of many others, inc. Majora's Mask, both Oracle games, and Wind Waker.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I've only personally played SS and TP, so put those as first and second, respectively. However, I've seen LPs of many others, inc. Majora's Mask, both Oracle games, and Wind Waker.
    [!!] What game systems do you have?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

[!!] What game systems do you have?
    Only the Wii, which is a quick answer for why I've only personally played those two.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Only the Wii, which is a quick answer for why I've only personally played those two.
    You can buy many of the others pretty cheap on the wii store.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well I don't have a Wii, so I haven't played Skyward Sword yet. Nor have I played Spirit Tracks or Four Swords, since I don't have any of the recent Gameboy decendants. I have, however, played pretty much every other official Zelda title.

For a favorite, I'd have to say A Link to the Past for it's great music and story, good level design, cool tools and weapons (hookshot, yo!), and awesome boss fights. Although Twilight Princess (Gamecube version) definitely comes as an extremely close second. The story was pretty good, the puzzles and level design were both excellent, and the fluidity of the combat mechanics was just freakin' amazing!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You can buy many of the others pretty cheap on the wii store.
    ...Nor do I have a Classic Controller, which is the slightly longer answer.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Skyward Sword was awesome, but I felt like it was one dungeon too short. That puts it at my third favourite Zelda game of all time.

Coming in at second was Twilight Princess. Everything about it was great, IMO. No complaints.

In first place we have Majora's Mask. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people. The atmosphere of that game was fantastic and exactly my favourite kind of story. And out of all the various modes of faster-than-walking travel that have appeared in Zelda games over the years, rolling around as a goron was my favourite. Let's face it, Link was rolling everywhere he went ANYway...

And speaking of Majora's Mask, did anybody else see this back when it was news and WEEP to learn that it wasn't a real thing?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I've played all of Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass, partway through Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, and seen about half total of Skyward Sword, most of Ocarina of Time, a little bit of Majora's Mask, and a few bits of Wind Waker past where I played up to.

Based on that exposure, I'm definitely going to have to say Twilight Princess. It has a great aesthetic, the only story out of those six that doesn't feel like it's just there to shuttle you from one dungeon to the next*, by far the best guide/companion, and the wolf segments were awesome and changed things up just enough (in fact, my one complaint about the game is that there's hardly ever a reason to actually use the wolf form after you gain the ability to transform freely). The controls and combat are the best out of the games I've actually played, but I have a feeling that will change once I get around to actually playing Skyward Sword.

*While I'd rate Skyward Sword's story about as good as Twilight Princess's overall (maybe a little bit better), it still manages to have that same feeling of "Okay, here's something that actually happens, now go complete the next dungeon or three." Not to mention that it's probably the one game in the series with an honest to goodness Link/Zelda relationship and they STILL DON'T GO ANYWHERE WITH IT.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal favorite is Majora's Mask. I have not completed Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess yet, but both of those have hte chance to knock my number one off the top spot.

Coming in at second place is Wind Waker. I really loved this game. It was only my third ever Zelda game (Ocarina being my first, Majora my second.)

And third place for me is A Link to the Past, even though I have yet to finish it. (When I played it last, I was kinda stuck, and haven't picked it up again.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm that's a hard one.

First off: I only got to beat Minish Cap, Oracle of Ages and...that's it.
    I had a Game Boy SP and we (or better said my GF has) have a Wii but since she doesn't like Zelda and I have too many things to do atm I can't spend the money on TP, SS or the other remakes for the GC (I had one in Platinum).

I played Wind Waker but it was such a sucky experience for me... Ganondorf too strong, can't farm rupees cause if you do the time runs out... I suddenly had no fun playing it anymore... I have to say the grafics weren't that good but at least how you played was cool, with special tricks for special enemies and so on and then grabbing that uber two-hander from them and smashing everyone with it. The minigames were sucky... the bombin on the boat, the arrow shooting on the boat etc.

Four Swords (the A Link to the Past remake) was good but as I couldn't beat the game on my super nintendo i couldn't finish that one... the problem i had with that game was that the last dungeons are just too big. I think I did the tower in the north, that underwater thing and the one in the desert... but just couldn't get the motivation to finish it.

Oracle of Seasons (my copy of it vanished, another reason i couldn't finish it...) I had problems getting into the last dungeon. Even with help from the interwebs. Seemed like a good game though.

The one for gameboy where you have to collect those instruments... never finished the third dungeon I think.

Minish Cap finished 2 times and I have to say it's going to be my favourite together with Oracle of Ages (finished 3 times). Minish Cap because I liked how you kill the BBEG and how your hat talks to you and shrinks you and suddenly a bug is a serious Boss. Oracle of ages is going to be my favourite because of what you can do, switching between present, past and future to overcome obstacles. Loosing all your stuff, fighting to get it back and so on with a really mean last boss at the top of that dark tower that is filled with super strong and mean enemies and then the boss kills you... with ease.

Twilight Princess: It looked cool but I just got into the castle, don't know hot it is.
    Ocarina of Time didn't work because my TV was too bad and on the one of a buddy of me it was all in black and white. Because of the Hz...

Yeah, I stay with OoA and MC as my favourite two.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

The best Zelda game of the last 10 years was Okami. Yes, it had flaws, but the slavish devotion to the Zelda formula ain't doing Nintendo any favors either. Okami, Wind Waker, and Ltt P are my top three Zeldas, OoT hasn't aged all that well compared to those three. The Oracle of Ages/Seasons were enjoyable too, but I'd still rather go back to Links Awakening for portable entries. I will admit that I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but this particular series has stagnated badly, and is just begging for a complete reinvention which Nintendo doesn't have the balls to try.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube