New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [PF] NPC mage-like class?

I've been wondering if there are any mage-like NPC classes in Pathfinder. The closest I've seen is Adept, but they seem more cleric-like. I've been thinking about just using wizard as a slate, taking away their bonus feats and arcane bond and giving them a d4 hit die. Be nice to know if someone has already made something similar, though.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2013-03-19 at 07:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: NPC mage-like class?

I don't think there are any other NPC classes in PF other than the original 4... Why don't you use Eberron's Magewright? Or Birthright's Magician, for that matter?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] NPC mage-like class?

By interspersing levels of Expert you can create a solid sage type character with diminished casting and a wealth of information. Alternatively, by using commoner instead you might create a peasant wizard or dabbler.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Adept is supposed to correspond to both arcane and divine archetypes. The idea being that among those with NPC classes arcane and divine tend to get muddled into one archetype. It's why Adepts get familiars, for example.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at magewright, but it seems like it's mostly utility and not made for combat. Magician is a bit better, but still not what I had in mind.

I'm looking for a glass-cannon sort of artillary enemy NPC. I guess my best bet is to use adept, and possibly expand its spell list a bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at magewright, but it seems like it's mostly utility and not made for combat. Magician is a bit better, but still not what I had in mind.

I'm looking for a glass-cannon sort of artillary enemy NPC. I guess my best bet is to use adept, and possibly expand its spell list a bit.
    Eberron also has something called Religious Adept, basically an Adept with a Cleric domain slapped on top. Now, I know you are looking for a more arcane feel, but I'm sure some of the domains could fit the bill just fine with just a bit of refluff. Or you could simply scrap the domain and apply the Cleric's Divine Magician ACF to the Religious Adept! You could also give it the Mother Cyst feat, or any other feat that add spells to your list (Dragon Compendium's Bloodline feats would be great, but they require spontaneous arcane spellcasting; you could get a level in bard or sorcerer and apply the spells to the Adept side, but...).

... Or not. You could just fiddle with the Adept's spell list and be done with it! I'm just trying to point out how to do it within the rules.
    Last edited by Larkas; 2013-03-19 at 10:07 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

why not just make them a Sorcerer or other spellcaster? NPCs don't have to be NPC classed.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    why not just make them a Sorcerer or other spellcaster? NPCs don't have to be NPC classed.
    That's what I've been doing, but I was looking for something along the lines of warrior=powered-down fighter. If making an NPC with PC levels the "correct" way, you need to pick bonus feats, bloodlines, etc. Having a quick-to-setup mook class lessens the prep time a bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

The adept's fine for that. It's just a bunch of spells.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

That's what I've been doing, but I was looking for something along the lines of warrior=powered-down fighter. If making an NPC with PC levels the "correct" way, you need to pick bonus feats, bloodlines, etc. Having a quick-to-setup mook class lessens the prep time a bit.
    Note that the default bloodline for sorcerers is arcane unless otherwise specified. So if you're in a rush you could simply do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Give him levels in warmage. That's the definitive arcane glass cannon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

One Prep killing link coming up

NPC Codex - Wizards

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Certified View Post
    One Prep killing link coming up

NPC Codex - Wizards
    Thanks, although reading some of their backstories makes me feel a bit guilty killing them.