Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Brd 5
    Components: V, S, SF
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

"You are feeling very sleepy.... You see a plate full of good things to eat in front of you...."

On a failed save, you cause the target to fall into a deep and dreamy slumber, from which it cannot be wakened by any means except strong magic. It believes itself to be eating its fill of the most delicious foods it knows of, and resting in the softest beds. Actually, it will remain there until it dies of starvation, thirst, exposure, or wandering creatures.

The target receives a new save every 24 hours at a -2 penalty; success ends the spell.

This spell cannot be removed with dispel magic. break enchantment can, however, on a successful CL check against a DC of 11+the original caster level. Remove curse is also effective if cast at a higher caster level than this spell.

Any other spell lists this should be on? (Beguiler??)

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show
    Making sure break enchantment/remove curse work again, adjusting wording of effective duration to encompass a great deal more
    Spell level adjustment and dumping the confusion which is too much of a hassle
    Boom, school focus. Added clause to clarify that no, rouse and friends will not work to wake them up
    Removed material components
    Took domains back out
    Fixed subschool
    Added periodic saves
    Added domains
    Added chance for break enchantment to work on this
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-10-07 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Maze of Sleepy Repletion [3.5 spell, PEACH]

As far as Cleric domains go, I can definitely see this one on the Hunger domain (Spell Compendium) and Trickery domain (PHB).

I think 'break enchantment' should have at least a chance of removing this effect too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thanks. Good call on both of those.

Heh, realized as I was updating this that we now know what the wood elves used on Bombur and Bilbo in Mirkwood...
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Its kinda low level for its power, but Enchantment is a weak school, so it works. Because so many are immune to Mind-affecting, keep it where its at. Maybe add an HD limit?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It might help to compare it to Microcosm which is 9th level and only somewhat harder to remove. However, there are fourth level effective saves or dies, so this may be ok as is.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I might give the victim a new save every 24 hours. It's a small difference, but permanent-stasis spells tend to be higher level than flat save-or-dies for some reason.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I might give the victim a new save every 24 hours. It's a small difference, but permanent-stasis spells tend to be higher level than flat save-or-dies for some reason.
    That seems like a good idea; added it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Its kinda low level for its power, but Enchantment is a weak school, so it works. Because so many are immune to Mind-affecting, keep it where its at. Maybe add an HD limit?
    What limit would you suggest?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see, Sleep is 1st level and affects 4HD, but it doesn't scale.

4th level would be 16HD. That should be plenty since its a single target spell.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Let's see, Sleep is 1st level and affects 4HD, but it doesn't scale.

4th level would be 16HD. That should be plenty since its a single target spell.
    Deep Slumber is 10 HD at 3rd; that would suggest 13 HD with a strict progression, or perhaps 15 HD a bit more permissively. I suppose that's not unreasonable.

Edit: OTOH, those are both multi-target spells; I'm not sure it would make as much sense for this.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-03-04 at 06:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't add it to domain spell lists unless you make a new domain, as they already have spells at those levels. They're balanced against having a limited list.

I also wouldn't add a HD limit, as it's a curse-like effect, which don't typically have such things. Especially since, as has been said, it's single target, not multi. It already has a save, that's all the resistance it needs.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I wouldn't add it to domain spell lists unless you make a new domain, as they already have spells at those levels. They're balanced against having a limited list.
    I suppose you're right. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I also wouldn't add a HD limit, as it's a curse-like effect, which don't typically have such things. Especially since, as has been said, it's single target, not multi. It already has a save, that's all the resistance it needs.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Adding an HD limit would either make it too restrictive, or would never come into play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing you can do for domain specific spells to keep them still balanced is make them available to available to all clerics and then make it available as one level lower to the domain type (but not make it a *domain* spell). So make it Cleric 5, and then allow those with the desired domain the option of preparing it as a 4th level spell. (Or make it cleric 6 and make them have the option of preparing it as a 5th level spell).

I think there's an official splatbook that did that for some spells, but I can't find examples offhand.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    One thing you can do for domain specific spells to keep them still balanced is make them available to available to all clerics and then make it available as one level lower to the domain type (but not make it a *domain* spell). So make it Cleric 5, and then allow those with the desired domain the option of preparing it as a 4th level spell. (Or make it cleric 6 and make them have the option of preparing it as a 5th level spell).

I think there's an official splatbook that did that for some spells, but I can't find examples offhand.
    Really? I'm intrigued. If you find it, I'd love to hear about it, as I can't think of any rules doing that. The closest I can think of is Ardent's trading powers out of Mantles and that's not anywhere close.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    The issue with that in this case is Maze doesn't feel much like a general cleric spell in the first place. Also, I'm not familiar with this specific mechanism, so it would feel a little weird. Ah well.

I may include a note on suggested adaptations, or whatever.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I decided that, since I support removing all free material components as a houserule, I should probably remove them from my homebrewed spells, too. (This one used to require "a piece of cloth from a child's set of nightclothes", in case you're curious.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

School focus changes, plus new wording in spell description to make sure you can't just dump rouse on them and get rid of it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

4th level save or die with the bonus option to take the enemy alive that is still action denial on a successful save? Way, way too powerful. This is better than Finger of Death.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Good to get some more critiques on these old things.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    4th level save or die with the bonus option to take the enemy alive that is still action denial on a successful save? Way, way too powerful. This is better than Finger of Death.
    Hmm. The confusion effect is something around a third-level spell (no save, but otherwise lesser confusion). The primary effect is, on the one hand, a little harder to resist than phantasmal killer (Will-negates Enchantment that doesn't provide ongoing control vs Will/Fort-negates mind-affecting fear), but on the other hand isn't quite as strong an effect. Still, maybe that's more of a 5th-level spell, being strictly inferior in most respects to flesh to stone. Let's try that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

As written it's a better version of Endless Slumber (Complete Mage) which is a 6th level spell.

Also Greater Dispel Magic should be able to remove it as it can remove curses and other effects that normally need Break Enchantment or Remove Curse.

Sleep that damage doesn't wake up is every bit as strong, and stronger than, a death effect making it much stronger than Phantasmal Killer which grants 2 saves.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Good to get some more critiques on these old things.
    Age is no object to being interesting!
    Hmm. The confusion effect is something around a third-level spell (no save, but otherwise lesser confusion)
    How much is not having a save worth? The answer is a lot. Otto's Irresistible Dance is pretty much just a no-save version of Hideous Laughter (the shorter duration doesn't make a difference, since anything hit by it is almost certainly dead by the end anyway) and it both requires a touch attack and is a whopping six levels higher.
    The primary effect is, on the one hand, a little harder to resist than phantasmal killer (Will-negates Enchantment that doesn't provide ongoing control vs Will/Fort-negates mind-affecting fear), but on the other hand isn't quite as strong an effect. Still, maybe that's more of a 5th-level spell, being strictly inferior in most respects to flesh to stone. Let's try that.
    Phantasmal killer is also mind-affecting; the only significant difference is that this spell is more flexible and only allows one save instead of two. Likewise, flesh to stone is similar but worse in 90% of cases, since it also nukes gear, makes it much harder (though not impossible) to take foes captive, and doesn't have a no-save action denial effect tacked on. It does have a longer range and only a standard action casting time, but full-round isn't that big of a change. Without the confusion effect, I'd put this as a sixth level spell, being very similar to flesh to stone: it has a better effect, but is mind-affecting and has other downsides.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    As written it's a better version of Endless Slumber (Complete Mage) which is a 6th level spell.
    Bother!

Also Greater Dispel Magic should be able to remove it as it can remove curses and other effects that normally need Break Enchantment or Remove Curse.
    Hmm, sure enough. Easy enough to fix, fortunately.

Sleep that damage doesn't wake up is every bit as strong, and stronger than, a death effect making it much stronger than Phantasmal Killer which grants 2 saves.
    PK isn't a death effect, it's just a mind-affecting fear save-or-die. Repeated saves to recover, and being able to use a cheap spell to cure it (instead of 5kgp diamonds) is pretty relevant.

Age is no object to being interesting!

How much is not having a save worth? The answer is a lot. Otto's Irresistible Dance is pretty much just a no-save version of Hideous Laughter (the shorter duration doesn't make a difference, since anything hit by it is almost certainly dead by the end anyway) and it both requires a touch attack and is a whopping six levels higher.
    I stand corrected. Should have remembered that, really.

Phantasmal killer is also mind-affecting; the only significant difference is that this spell is more flexible and only allows one save instead of two. Likewise, flesh to stone is similar but worse in 90% of cases, since it also nukes gear, makes it much harder (though not impossible) to take foes captive, and doesn't have a no-save action denial effect tacked on. It does have a longer range and only a standard action casting time, but full-round isn't that big of a change. Without the confusion effect, I'd put this as a sixth level spell, being very similar to flesh to stone: it has a better effect, but is mind-affecting and has other downsides.
    Underlined is a fair point I had not previously considered either. Although flesh to stone has advantages too: not mind-affecting, no continuing save, instantaneous instead of permanent, and so on.

Thinking about this some more, the confusion is really not all that essential to the concept; it was intended to be a lot more minor than it is. Probably not worth keeping around. I'm also not totally sure why it's a full-round instead of 1 round.

22. - Top - End - #22

After these changes, I am definitely starting to like the spell. Pondering how to add it to the Spell Reformation... I think it's fairly comfortable in its new slot, and the 1 round casting time ensures that it's not super easy to pull off and allows it to avoid being better than something like a Finger of Death. Minor points, since you take criticism so well:

• Wouldn't it stay there until it dies of thirst, not starves?
    • What's the point of the -2 penalty to repeated saves? There's nothing exactly wrong with it, it just feels kind of random - an extra fact to remember that will only matter maybe 5% of the time it is cast.
    • Do you want to add that it can be removed with [i]remove curse[i]? And can this be removed by [i]break enchantment[i]? As written, the answer is "no", and I want to make sure that that is what you intend. I feel like [i]break enchantment[i], at least, should be able to remove an enchantment like this.
    • "Sleepy" in the title feels like a kind of boring word to me. And what does this have to do with a "Maze"? It bears some functional similarity to Maze, but I am not sure it fits as a description. I'm not sure what a better title would be - perhaps "Lethargic Repletion" or "Engorging Slumber"?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

After these changes, I am definitely starting to like the spell. Pondering how to add it to the Spell Reformation... I think it's fairly comfortable in its new slot, and the 1 round casting time ensures that it's not super easy to pull off and allows it to avoid being better than something like a Finger of Death.
    Good to hear!

I should probably put a note somewhere what license to use for my stuff. OGL, I expect. Been putting that off for a while.

Minor points, since you take criticism so well:
    Heh, thanks. I try to keep my limits in mind. This just happens to be a place where a lot of them showed up!

Wouldn't it stay there until it dies of thirst, not starves?
    Yeah, but "parches to death" or "dies of thirst" are so clunky. It just doesn't flow well.

[Edit]Ah, there we go.[End Edit]

What's the point of the -2 penalty to repeated saves? There's nothing exactly wrong with it, it just feels kind of random - an extra fact to remember that will only matter maybe 5% of the time it is cast.
    Hmm. I should probably justify this more thoroughly, but the basic idea is so that once you fail a save, you're more likely to stay that way.

Gonna think on this some more.

Do you want to add that it can be removed with [i]remove curse[i]? And can this be removed by [i]break enchantment[i]? As written, the answer is "no", and I want to make sure that that is what you intend. I feel like [i]break enchantment[i], at least, should be able to remove an enchantment like this.
    I actually juuust removed the specific text for those, since I considered them redundant, but I'd briefly forgotten break enchantment's spell limit of 5. Annoying.

"Sleepy" in the title feels like a kind of boring word to me. And what does this have to do with a "Maze"? It bears some functional similarity to Maze, but I am not sure it fits as a description. I'm not sure what a better title would be - perhaps "Lethargic Repletion" or "Engorging Slumber"?
    It's a quote from an old book (The Magic City, by E. Nesbit).
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-10-07 at 01:45 AM.