New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XI: "More Threads than your Tactical Squad has room for!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Ghost View Post
    What range are Disintegrators? I know Dark Lances are 36", I thought they were the same.
    They are. I thought Dark Lances were 24" for some reason. Ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanoi View Post
    I4 Assault-Oriented models?

Crusader Squads, FC Termagants, Fenrisian Wolves, and FC Orks spring to mind.
    Only nobs are I4 with furious charge (and then only with 'uge choppas or heaven's forbid slugga and choppa). FC actually knocks termagants up to I5. Seems odd to mention Fenrisian wolves but not Grey Hunters who show up a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jair Barik View Post
    sorry to be an army list criticising jerk but that looked so stupid it was painful. The rhino also has little reason not to be a razorback, even a heavy bolter one.

I'm used to having 50 models at 1500 points with BA so most BA lists look weird to me.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-05-12 at 06:45 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XI: "More Threads than your Tactical Squad has room for!"

Had my first game with the blood angels yesterday.
    Congratulations! Sounds like your Blood Angels had some nice target practice.

Adding battle report to archiv--- oh wait, wrong thread. Sorry, habit.

Also, as I think it was missed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    While we're talking about Grey Knight options, what do you all think is the best way to equip a Chimera? Specifically, when it comes to weapons?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, as I think it was missed:
    *shrug* There are upgrades on Chimera?

That is, seriously, every single option makes it worse, so why bother?

Also, pure GK version of RBSpam seems to have finally begun crystallizing. Ouch. With its little CC power its so far cry from the invincible CC army obsoleting all other armies they were touted as when they started as possible
    Above Us Only Sky

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Seems odd to mention Fenrisian wolves but not Grey Hunters who show up a lot more.
    Well, they were specifically units that would outnumber the Greyknights about 3:1 or better. And I still forget that Boyz are S3 I2 all the bloody time.

~snip~
    Ouch. That was a pretty brutal stomp.

5. - Top - End - #1325

Chimeras
    Heavy bolter and multilaser if you're a bunker, two heavy flamers if you're going to be getting an assault unit closer. Pretty simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post

Also, pure GK version of RBSpam seems to have finally begun crystallizing. Ouch. With its little CC power its so far cry from the invincible CC army obsoleting all other armies they were touted as when they started as possible
    That's just because mech is king, so the competative armies are going to be the mech ones. Units of 5 guys that fit in razorbacks aren't very good at combat against larger units, so the GK ones aren't either.

Competative razorback spam is completely irrelevant to a lot of 40k players. If your metagame is weak to halberd paladin spam then people telling you that it isn't the most competative GK option is pretty much irrelevant.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Orc in the Playground

Competative razorback spam is completely irrelevant to a lot of 40k players. If your metagame is weak to halberd paladin spam then people telling you that it isn't the most competative GK option is pretty much irrelevant.
    What do you mean by Competative razorback spam?

7. - Top - End - #1327

Wait so let me get this right.

Greyknight terminators with falchions have 2 extra attacks (has this been confirmed?). So their total is 4. If you give them a banner they get an extra attack and then if they charge they have another attack as well. So They get 6 attacks on the charge with force weapons? That is shear insanity. I must now play grey knights.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

8. - Top - End - #1328

No, having reread the entry for falchions, I do not believe that falchions give the two weapon bonus. It never states anywhere that they are a pair of weapons.

So 5 attacks on the charge, yes, but that's with an expensive squad with expensive weapon upgrades with an expensive banner with no anti-tank ability and neither a 4++ save nor I6.

I'm still taking halberds and hammers, thank you.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    No, having reread the entry for falchions, I do not believe that falchions give the two weapon bonus. It never states anywhere that they are a pair of weapons.
    The listing in the actual unit entry has them as 'Pair of Nemesis Falchions' so there's pretty obviously two of them. Only question is whether the +1A they give is separate from the two weapon bonus.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

Heavy bolter and multilaser if you're a bunker, two heavy flamers if you're going to be getting an assault unit closer. Pretty simple really.
    This, except never two Heavy Flamers. Unless the enemy is a fool or the dice favour you massively and mess up his plans, you're never going to be able to get a good shot with both of them without having to move, which means that no matter how you do it you're going to want to run only a single H. Flamer. Therefore, the two Chimaera configs that matter are Multilaser/HB and Multilaser/HF. Though my love of multilasers might be colouring my perceptions here...

Without knowing what extra upgrades you might have with the GK version, Heavy Stubbers are the only upgrade worth taking on a Chimaera, and then only if you don't have something more valuable to spend 10 points on than a toned-down Heavy Bolter, which depends massively on what other units you have. Frankly, the general theme with IG vehicles is to take minimal upgrades, then just spam a lot of them. Generally, the upgrades aren't worth more than an extra hull or two on the field, except in very rare cases. For that matter, that basically describes the best way to play IG in general. Leave the fancy toys to the Space Marines and Eldar, all we need is a bunch of guys with grit and a Lasgun (and maybe a few artillery pieces) and we can get the job done just as well.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

11. - Top - End - #1331

Quote Originally Posted by Craftworld View Post
    What do you mean by Competative razorback spam?
    No idea. Never used it or had any desire to learn how it worked.

Basically you just take as many razorbacks (with las or assault cannons usually) as possible. Then you use some kind of tactics I don't know to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    The listing in the actual unit entry has them as 'Pair of Nemesis Falchions' so there's pretty obviously two of them. Only question is whether the +1A they give is separate from the two weapon bonus.
    If falchions don't give you +2 attacks then they're just crappy lightning claws (that let you keep your guns) and I doubt Mat Ward wrote that book to have a crappy version of lightning claws that cost extra points in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    This, except never two Heavy Flamers. Unless the enemy is a fool or the dice favour you massively and mess up his plans, you're never going to be able to get a good shot with both of them without having to move, which means that no matter how you do it you're going to want to run only a single H. Flamer. Therefore, the two Chimaera configs that matter are Multilaser/HB and Multilaser/HF. Though my love of multilasers might be colouring my perceptions here...
    The second heavy flamer might help if you get a weapon destroyed result but I'm grabbing at straws there.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-05-13 at 06:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

It seems pretty clear to me that one should always keep the Multilaser; I had mostly wondered whether (for a Chimera being used as a bunker in the far back) it maybe still made sense to replace the Heavy Bolter with a Heavy Flamer, so it would have something to defend itself with more effectively against enemy troops suddenly appearing up close (like, something out of a drop pod, or enemy close combat troops that have finally managed to close in, or such).

Oh, and whether, maybe, for some reason I was missing, it made sense to slap that Stormbolter for 10 points onto it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

I had mostly wondered whether (for a Chimera being used as a bunker in the far back) it maybe still made sense to replace the Heavy Bolter with a Heavy Flamer, so it would have something to defend itself with more effectively against enemy troops suddenly appearing up close (like, something out of a drop pod, or enemy close combat troops that have finally managed to close in, or such).

Oh, and whether, maybe, for some reason I was missing, it made sense to slap that Stormbolter for 10 points onto it.
    No x3. That's not GK vehicle, the only ones you buy upgrades (and that's the 5pts one) in this Codex, IMHO.
    Above Us Only Sky

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

It seems pretty clear to me that one should always keep the Multilaser; I had mostly wondered whether (for a Chimera being used as a bunker in the far back) it maybe still made sense to replace the Heavy Bolter with a Heavy Flamer, so it would have something to defend itself with more effectively against enemy troops suddenly appearing up close (like, something out of a drop pod, or enemy close combat troops that have finally managed to close in, or such).

Oh, well why didn't you say so? The correct answer, of course, is no. You don't want to move a bunchimaera for any reason, since that screws up the guns inside. Since, again, your opponent is going to need to screw up terribly for you to be able to get more than 1-2 hits with the Heavy Flamer without moving, you're simply better off taking your 6 shots with the Multi and bolter and shooting as normal out the back.

As to the Storm Bolter, absolutely not. Heavy Stubbers are at least 50% better than Storm Bolters, and they're only just worth 10 points. For the price of two of those things, you could have a Grey Knight that shoots almost as well and also is a body on the field.

If you're worried about Drop Pods as a Grey Knight player, maybe just keep a Terminator squad or a Dreadknight with an Incinerator around to discourage them.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

15. - Top - End - #1335

If you're worried about Drop Pods as a Grey Knight player, maybe just keep a Terminator squad or a Dreadknight with an Incinerator around to discourage them.
    Or just you know, warp quake.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just you know, warp quake.
    I Have Been Expecting You is better
    Above Us Only Sky

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Alright - thanks for the advice, y'all. Multilaser/Heavy Bolter, it is.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #1338

I don't think it is, actually.

Warp quake has a solid 2/3 chance to either destroy the unit or screw it over entirely, (put it in a corner with no LOS somewhere) while I've Been Expecting You... allows you to shoot at the reservee.

Yeah, maybe you have some awesome shooting near Coteaz, but GK squads don't need support to screw over deepstrikers.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    I Have Been Expecting You is better
    Even if only for the incredibly awesome name.

As to the Storm Bolter, absolutely not. Heavy Stubbers are at least 50% better than Storm Bolters, and they're only just worth 10 points. For the price of two of those things, you could have a Grey Knight that shoots almost as well and also is a body on the field.
    GK Chimeras can't take Heavy Stubbers. Or Camo Netting. They also lose Mobile Command Centre and have to pay for Searchlights. The only things they do get that IG Chimeras don't are Truesilver Armour (screws over Daemons and Psykers that try to wreck it in CC) and Warp Stabilisation Field (lets the GK Librarian, if you have one with the right power, teleport it to him), both of which are pretty terrible options.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-05-13 at 01:31 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    I don't think it is, actually.

Warp quake has a solid 2/3 chance to either destroy the unit or screw it over entirely, (put it in a corner with no LOS somewhere) while I've Been Expecting You... allows you to shoot at the reservee.

Yeah, maybe you have some awesome shooting near Coteaz, but GK squads don't need support to screw over deepstrikers.
    That's the thing. Warp Quake may fail, may do nothing, and it works only on deep strike. IHBEY works on all methods of deploying from reserve and never fails. And... 3 Plasma cannon blasts, Coteaz's own attack, 2x Jokaero's fire (and J. bonuses to the shooting others have) and the rest of the unit joinning should sink most units within multi-melta range. Both are useful, but I'd take Coteaz if possible.

BTW, can their vehicle fire as well? I can't check now.
    Above Us Only Sky

21. - Top - End - #1341

The razorwing is supposedly rediculously cheap. As in, cheaper than a Ravager. Two of them are cheaper than a battleforce.

If the voidraven is bigger and costs in the same range as the stormraven/valkyrie I don't see many people buying it when it isn't that more effective in game.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was quite surprised to hear about the pricing on the Razorwing. Then again, having seen the Forgeworld Eldar Nightwing, which has almost exactly the same design, it quickly made some sense.

The Nightwing, and Razorwing by extension, is very thin and probably uses hardly any plastic at all. Because it's a flyer you won't have many, if any, customisable options the same way you do on a Ravager, besides the guns. Which, being Dark Eldar, hardly take up much space at all.

I think GW realised that they weren't going to be able to get away with selling a 2-sprue kit for £30+.

I suspect the Voidraven is a similar size. Maybe a little bigger. I haven't seen any pictures.
    Burning feathers; not an angel

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Orc in the Playground

Why haven't flying vehicles been around longer, they seem awesome!

24. - Top - End - #1344

I played in a tournament today and suffered horrendous losses.

Of the three games I played I drew one and lost two.

Spoiler
    Show

We got extra composition score for having a unit of each type within your army and no more than double of one unit. Also having a fully painted and based army gives you more points. My army was as follows.

HQ
    Captain, Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs

Elite
    5x Terminators

Troops
    10x Tactical Marines, plasma gun, plasma cannon, melta bombs, Razorback
    10x Tactical Marines, plasma gun, plasma cannon
    10x Scouts, missile launcher

Fast Attack
    5x Bikes, Powerfist, 2x meltas

Heavy Support
    Devastator Squad, 4x Missile Launchers

Game 1:
    Dawn of War, Seize Ground Vs Spacemarines

HQ
    Librarian, Terminator Armour, Storm Shield

Elite
    Ironclad Dreadnought, Drop Pod
    Dreadnought
    5x TH/SS Assault Terminators

Troops
    Tactical Squad
    Tactical Squad

Heavy Support
    Vindicator
    Predator, Lascannon, side sponsons heavy bolters

The first game of the day and we both completely forgot that night fighting was in effect. So missing out on that it went pretty well. I didn't destroy any of his vehicles and just killed all of his troops so he couldn't capture. I still held one objective so I was hoping to win but his librarian just wouldn't die and ended up contesting the objective. Highlights of the game was three bolters wounding and three 1's being rolled for his hammernators.

Game 2:
    Capture and Control, Spearhead VS Chaos Space Marines

HQ
    Chaos lord with demonblade, flight
    Demon Prince, Lash

Troops
    Plague Marines, 2x plasma gun, Rhino
    20x Noise Marines

Heavy Support
    Defiler
    Vindicator

This was the most painful game of the day. The board was extremely sparse and there was a long distance between the two objectives. I didn't realise that defilers had fleet which meant my bikes were killed in combat as I turbo-boosted to where I thought was a safe place to launch an assult the next turn. The scouts who had infiltrated into a building were then lashed to the bottom floor so the defiler just bunny hopped from unit to unit.

The plague marines and chaos lord held the objective and were absolutely impossible to push off because I couldnt even get line of sight to them because of a giant forest . The terminators deepstriked near the lord and plague marines. They simply hopped out of the rhino and rapid fired them. Then the chaos lord rolled a 6 for his attacks with his demonblade. 10 attacks! Needless to say there were no more terminators.

The defiler eventually made its way to my tactical marines holding the objective and then killed them. By the end of the game the only thing I had left was a single devastator. The only unit of his that I had killed was the noise marines. I did have the unluckiest rolls of my life in this game so maybe I didn't pray hard enough to the dice gods.

Game 3:
    Pitched Battle, Anhilation Vs Chaos Demons

HQ
    Fateweaver
    Skulltaker

Elite
    4x Blood Crushers of Khorne

Troops
    x 30 Bloodletters
    x 10 Bloodletters

Fast Attack
    Seekers of Slaanesh

This game went rather well. He won the roll off so I didnt have to spend a turn doing nothing. His preferred choice of deepstriking units didn't come in so instead of the fate weaver and blood crushers, the seekers of slaanesh and bloodletters came in. The skulltaker was attached to the large unit of bloodletters. He deployed his units quite far back which meant that I could get a lot of shooting done before he even got near me. Both units of bloodletters were obliterated by massed bolter fire and frag missiles. The seekers were killed in two rounds by my razorback's heavy bolter.

The biggest dissappointment of the game was my terminators fleeing off the board after taking a single casualty to shooting. This really put me out and I could not manage to put wounds on the fateweaver and he proceeded to take out three kill points by himself. The powerfists would have really come in handy there.

He was lucky in the fact that he had only 6 killpoints total for his army as opposed to my 8. Also my captain killed the skulltaker in combat so I was rather chuffed by that. The fateweaver was just ridiculous although his points do make up for that.

Things I learnt:
    -Playing on a 48x48 board is very different to playing on a 48x72 board.
    -My FLGS has a very different metagame to the ones here.
    -Don't worry about composition because its not as important as winning.
    -Need more anti-tank
    -Plasma cannons rock! So does plasma in general.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

25. - Top - End - #1345

Griffon

Hard luck, Ricky S - seems like you did as well as you could under the circumstances, but well done for at least keeping your sense of humour about the whole thing

Meanwhile, though not a Tournament, I too have been busy...

The Return of a Game What I Played In
    Or, 'Pedro Kantor vs. Farseer Robin in the 100m Hurdles', place your bets now!

A little while ago you may remember that I posted a Battle Report about a severe mauling received by my Space Marines at the hands of the greenskin filth, pretty much wiping out my Chapter (the Iron Legion)'s entire 1st Company in a few short turns. Well, now I have a chance to redeem myself and avenge my fallen Battle Brothers; Since then I've had quite a bit more practice, learned many lessons and metaphorically spent many hours punching trees at the Cheesegear Dojo of 40k.

Vengeance shall be mine!

Space Marine List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ: Chapter Master Tiex of the Iron Legion (aka: Pedro Kantor)

Elite: 10x Sternguard
    + 2x Combimelta
    + Meltabombs
    + Drop Pod
    + Deathwind Missile Launcher
    + Locator Beacon
    Elite: 10x Sternguard
    + 2x Combimelta
    + Meltabombs
    + Drop Pod
    + Locator Beacon
    Elite: Ironclad Deadnought 'Leccancia'
    + 2x Heavy Flamers
    + Drop Pod

Troop: 10x Tactical Marines
    + Missile Launcher & Plasma Gun
    + Razorback w/Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
    + Razorback w/Twin Linked Plasma Gun & Lascannon
    + Razorback w/Twin Linked Plasma Gun & Lascannon

Fast: 10x Assault Marines
    + Power Fist & Storm Shield

Ork List (Approximation):
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ: Big Mek with Power Klaw

Elite?: 12x Nobs
    + Pain Boy
    + Various Power Klaws and Big Choppas
    (Though we deliberately decided before the game that we were not playing 'Musical Wounds')

Troop: 12x 'Ard Boys
    + Nob with Power Klaw & Boss Pole
    + Trukk/Transport/Thing
    Troop: 12x Choppa? Boys (Whatever the ones that don;t have Shootas, are called)
    + Trukk/Transport/Thing
    Troop: 12x Shoota Boys
    Troop: 12x Shoota Boys
    Troop: Deff Dread
    + Close Combat Weapons and Rokkits

Fast: 3x Deff Koptas
    + Rokkit Launchers
    Fast: 5x Wartraks
    + Heavy Shootas

Heavy: Looted Wagon
    + Twin Linked Heavy Shootas
    + Twin Linked Heavy Shootas
    + Boom Gun

Pregame Sequence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Randomly rolled, the game type was Annihilation and the setup rules were Dawn of War.
    I was particularly unhappy about the former, as I generally like to use lots of Combat Squads and thus would be particularly vulnerable, whereas my opponent did not like the sound of Dawn of War as it meant that most of his melee-themed army would start 40+" away from my shooty-themed one. We would both just have to make the best of it.

My opponent won the dice off to setup, playing his Deff Dread just behind the cusp of a hill in the middle of the table, as close to the setup boundary as he could, and then put his Big Mek a few inches away from the Dread, hidden almost entirely behind the hill. On my east flank he placed his Trukk full of 'Ard Boyz about 6" from the boundary line, getting as close as he could while taking some advantage of a piece of nearby cover.

I setup both of my Lascannon/Plasma Razorbacks towards the back edge of the table, Combat Squadding their attached Tactical Marines so that the Sergeants and Plasma Guns were riding inside the tank, while the Missile Launchers hid behind cover where they would have the best view of the battlefield.

And then something very, very strange happened: I successfully Seized the Initiative.

Turn the First:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going first, I selected the two Drop Pods of Sternguard and placed them on the table; Commander Tiex and his 'retinue' 4" behind the Big Mek, and the other Squad 4" behind the Deff Dread. The former scattered and almost landed ON the Big Mek, but the Pod's landing system kicked in and left them just enough room to disembark, whereas the other Pod HIT right where I wanted it to.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Deff Dread was quickly turned into molten slag by the combimelta and the Big Mek went down in a hail of Hellfire Rounds. The rest of the Space Marines stared forlornly into the darkness, wondering what all the noise was about.
    At this point my opponent very nearly conceded the game; he was very annoyed by the fact that Drop Pods ignore the "reserves arrive at the start of your second turn" part of Dawn Of War, and after further discussion it turned out that he still thought (due to an archaic scenario from Second Edition) that units arriving from reserve couldn't shoot in the same turn, and thus the next Space Marine turn would wipe him out in one go.

Fortunately we managed to sort that out before he got too depressed, although it didn't help all that much when the occupants of his single remaining Trukk hit their Big Red Button and went screaming 16" right at the Marines, placing them in a wide open No Man's Land and staring down the barrels of at least four heavy weapons. Ouch....

Turn the Second:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rest of the Iron Legion arrived in it's entirety; the Assault Marines lining up right in front of the 'Ard Boys, the third Razorback and Tactical Squad spreading out across the middle of my table edge ready to redeploy when the Orks arrived, and the Ironclad Dreadnought dropped down (a turn earlier than ideal) right behind the other two Drop Pods, within charging distance of whatever appeared in the Ork Phase.

And then I ended my turn, refusing to destroy the 'Ard Boyz' Trukk much to the confusion of my opponent and our onlooking audience.

The Orks then arrived in terrifying tide of green and silver, from my left-to-right; Wartrakks, Nobs, Boyz-in-Trukk (who were level with the Ironclad), Deff Koptas, both Boyz-Without-Trukk, Looted Wagon, Looted Wagon, Looted Wagon, Boyz-in-Trukk. A flurry of shots were unleashed at the two Sternguard squads (who each took 2 or 3 casualties) and the Ironclad, who remained unscathed as did the Drop Pods.
    The 'Ard Boyz, wondering why they were still alive, disembarked from their Trukk.... And then realised that they couldn't move far enough to charge anything!
    It was a simple trick, but one worth remembering; had I blown up the Trukk in my turn, the Orks would almost certainly have passed their Pinning test with their Ld10 and been able to move freely. Now they had to wait an entire turn before doing any damage!

....At least, that was the plan, which was quickly undone by them shooting and killing 4 Assault Marines and the rest of whom promptly ran off the table edge.

Turn the Third:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Third turn passed fairly uneventfully for the Space Marines. The Sternguard accompanying their Chapter Master wasted a single member of the Nobz and the other Sternguard killed one of the Deff Kopta, and then the whole lot of them were put to shame by the combined efforts of the three DeathWind Missile Launchers, who killed 2 Nobz, wounded a third, and inflicted a "shaken" hit on a nearby Trukk.
    Intent on redeeming himself for his last performance against the Orks, former-Brother Sergeant Leccancia turned the bulk of his Ironclad Dreadnought against the nearby unit of Ork Boys (sans Trukk), torching half of them with his Heavy Flamers before running the rest of them down in close combat.
    In the near corner of the battle, the Razorbacks finally got in on the act and killed an 'Ard Boy, though in all the excitement it's twin-linked Plasma Guns overheated and refused to act leaving it to a nearby Tactical Squad to blow up the unoccupied Trukk with a well placed Krak Missile.

The Ork turn was quite unremarkable. Lots of shooting at the Sternguard resulted in lots of dead Sternguard, though they all held their ground, and very little else. The 'Ard Boyz made no advance on the nearby Marines, instead lurking in the wreckage of the Trukk for a cover save and firing lots of shots in various directions. I think they killed a pair of Tactical Marines, but to no other benefit.
    The other units of Ork Boyz in the middle of the table disembarked from their Trukk and assaulted the Ironclad Dreadnought, hoping to act as a "Power Klaw Delivery System" before the machine could grind it's way through the whole squad. Instead, Ironclad Leccancia crushed two Orks, and dared the Nob to come close enough to be next.....
    Finally, the moment that I was dreading came upon me, and the Boom Gun fired. It found it's mark, destroying the Heavy Bolter Razorback and the subsequent explosion killing one of the Marines within.

Turn the Fourth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Tiex's Sternguard moved away from the nearby Ork Nobz who were threatening to charge them very soon, while at the same time destroying a single Wartrakk. The other Sternguard finished off the Deff Kopta in a stunning display of mediocrity while the Drop Pods continued to slowly thin out the Nobz.
    Towards my edge of the table, the combined efforts of the remaining two Razorback and three Combat Squads of Tactical Marines finally put an end to the advance of the 'Ard Boyz, though it took all of them to do it with barely a shot to spare.

The Orks began the fight-back in earnest. Despite yet another Big Red Button mishap that sent a Trukk careening into the Sternguard (the Sergeant of which valiantly stood in the way and ended the rusting juggernaut with a well-placed meltabomb), the same squad was whittled down to just three members by various sources of Heavy Shootas before being charged by the same Boyz that they thought had just been halted.
    On the other side, a chorus of gunfire left Master Tiex suddenly feeling very lonely - his entire squad had been annihilated, and he had been reduced to one wound thanks to the shooting from the Wartraks and the Nobz!
    Ironclad Leccancia continued wading through the Ork Boyz while the Power Klaw'd Nob kept chipping away at it's paintwork in a remarkable display of poor dice rolls on both sides.

Turn the Fifth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Realising that the end was nigh, Master Tiex decided that discretion was the better part of valour and ran away from the Nobz, over the hill, and back towards his own lines with the sort of speed that would put impress an Eldar Farseer.....

Ironclad Leccancia continued playing Whack-An-Ork for another round, and was shocked when the Ork Nob finally got his act together and inflicted a Shaken result upon him. Very little else was achieved by the combat, which would continue for the rest of the game with neither side mustering up enough chutzpah to try and win the thing.
    Just for good measure, the remaining Razorbacks and their Missile-toting companions took some long ranged shots at the nearest Looted Wagon, eventually bringing it down with the last shot of the turn.
    Between the Sternguard and the Ork Boyz, battle raged back and forth. The Marines slew two greenskins, and two more were slain in return leaving the Sergeant alone, but Stubbornly refusing the give an inch.

The Ork turn was the last of the game, and they went for broke to try and secure victory. Boom Guns and Rokkits went flying all over the place, but their intended targets - the Drop Pods - refused to deactivate.
    Tiex was sadly run down by the Wartraks, although in retrospect it was an inevitable; he should instead have charged the Wartraks with his Power Fist and hoped to break them, probably dying in the process but at least achieving something first.
    Perturbed by the loss of a potentially impressive trophy, the Nobz ceased their pursuit of the Space Marine Commander and instead used their Power Klaws to take their frustration out on a nearby Drop Pod.

Which subsequently exploded, wounded one of them and broke the unit which was only saved from fleeing by the presence of a Boss Pole! Hahaha!

The last rolls of the game were between the ailing unit of Ork Boyz and the single surviving Sternguard Sergeant. He amazingly managed to kill an Ork while simultaneously avoiding the Power Klaw and all four armour saving rolls that would have otherwise finished him off, holding the entire mob to a stalemate.

The End?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Iron Legion Space Marines: 9 - 6 :The Orkish Filth

Despite a somewhat awkward start, we both came to enjoy the game a lot. Just about all of my plans resolved as I had wanted them to (even if the accompanying dice rolls did not), and though perhaps my biggest disappointment in this game the Assault Marines have rarely let me down before, so I will forgive them this once.

Despite his improved mood, the Ork Commander was fairly unimpressed by the lethality of Drop Pods and how they circumvented the Deployment rules (an ability which, we discovered shortly thereafter, is upheld by the Errata) although he was also disappointed in himself for having such little foresight as to place his Big Mek without a bodyguard as, if not the Sternguard, then he would probably have taken a Lascannon to the face at some point regardless.
    He has resolved that, in future, he shall remedy this by taking Boom Guns on all three of his Looted Wagons and putting THEM on the table instead.

All in all, an enjoyable game where my army finally seems to have hit a nice balance between 'fun' and 'effective'.... Although once again I seem to have run out of 1st Company Veterans.
    At least I didn't lose any Terminator Armour or Dreadnoughts this time around - I'm definitely improving in that regard!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-05-14 at 07:15 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, nice read, a shame we didnt get a conclusion on the Whack-An-Orc game

To bad about Chapter master Tiex, he should have taken a few less lessons in the Dojo, and spend some more time on the running track
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2011-05-14 at 07:13 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Just did some maths, and the new DE stuff is getting a 70% markup on the UK price at the current exchange rate... seventy percent!

So in that spirit here's a leaked GW store info sheet detailing that, yes, the Razorwing is coming in June (and is cheaper than the Chronos/Talos kit). Not much new stuff, but it has a nice picture at the end of it showing the size of the Talos.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Just did some maths, and the new DE stuff is getting a 70% markup on the UK price at the current exchange rate... seventy percent!

So in that spirit here's a leaked GW store info sheet detailing that, yes, the Razorwing is coming in June (and is cheaper than the Chronos/Talos kit). Not much new stuff, but it has a nice picture at the end of it showing the size of the Talos.
    They had that printed out at the Independant Stockist I visited yesturday. Don't know if the owner found it in the same place or got sent it officially.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    I played in a tournament today and suffered horrendous losses.

Of the three games I played I drew one and lost two.
    Huh... that game against the Daemons player actually sounded like you'd won - I mean, between losing the Bloodletters, the Seekers and Skulltaker, there wasn't much that lived to actually reach your lines - did Fateweaver and the Bloodcrushers really manage to kill off more than four units all on their own?

That CSM list was pretty nasty though.

Anyhow, better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The 'Ard Boyz, wondering why they were still alive, disembarked from their Trukk.... And then realised that they couldn't move far enough to charge anything!
    It was a simple trick, but one worth remembering; had I blown up the Trukk in my turn, the Orks would almost certainly have passed their Pinning test with their Ld10 and been able to move freely. Now they had to wait an entire turn before doing any damage!
    ...huh? I'm confused...
    If the Trukk hadn't moved in that turn, the Boyz were free to move as normal after disembarking. Trukks being Open, he could disembark within 2" of any point of the hull, so thanks to the Trukk not being destroyed, he could move farther than he could have had you destroyed it.

Not to mention that, Trukks being Open, he could have moved even farther by using the Trukk (as I don't see you mentioning it was immobilized), and disembarking then - the Trukk being Open, he still could have charged then.

....At least, that was the plan, which was quickly undone by them shooting and killing 4 Assault Marines and the rest of whom promptly ran off the table edge.
    Obviously a sneaky flanking maneuver on part of the Assault Marines, intending to suddenly appear behind the Orks. They just didn't count on the rest of their brethren beating up the greenskins so quickly.

The Orks began the fight-back in earnest. Despite yet another Big Red Button mishap that sent a Trukk careening into the Sternguard (the Sergeant of which valiantly stood in the way and ended the rusting juggernaut with a well-placed meltabomb), the same squad was whittled down to just three members by various sources of Heavy Shootas before being charged by the same Boyz that they thought had just been halted.
    Orks can't disembark after a Big Red Button mishap, so I think while your Sergeant's bravery is to be commended, his actions were what condemned his squad to be assaulted by these Boyz in the first place. Better teach him to not try to be a damn hero the next time if it means getting greenskins all over himself.

Realising that the end was nigh, Master Tiex decided that discretion was the better part of valour and ran away from the Nobz, over the hill, and back towards his own lines with the sort of speed that would put impress an Eldar Farseer.....
    Hey! Not all Eldar Farseers are cowardly! ...well, at least not all the time! Sometimes! It has happened!

Perturbed by the loss of a potentially impressive trophy, the Nobz ceased their pursuit of the Space Marine Commander and instead used their Power Klaws to take their frustration out on a nearby Drop Pod.

Which subsequently exploded, wounded one of them and broke the unit which was only saved from fleeing by the presence of a Boss Pole! Hahaha!
    Awww, that would have been glorious. Fear the Dread Drop Pod1!

1 It's the slightly more mobile and ferocious cousin of the Dread Gazebo.

All in all, an enjoyable game where my army finally seems to have hit a nice balance between 'fun' and 'effective'.... Although once again I seem to have run out of 1st Company Veterans.
    At least I didn't lose any Terminator Armour or Dreadnoughts this time around - I'm definitely improving in that regard!
    I guess that's the tradition of the Iron Legion now - you serve as 1st Company Veteran, until, after centuries of warfare, you feel that your time has come, at which point you seek out the next greenskin infestation to end your life in the way of your forefathers.

Anyhow, fun read for what sounds like a fun game.

___

So, I'm putting an Inquisitorial Chimera together, and am somewhat confused by the model - so where exactly are those five fire points? One is supposed to measure all weapons fire from the fire points, after all, but where are those? I'm guessing it's three of the six holes on one of the sides of the chimera, and two people shooting from the hatch on top? If so, does that mean that a chimera serving as bunker always has to have its flank pointing towards the enemy? That would kinda suck, considering they only have armour 10 there...

And, I'm wondering whether I should actually include these six guns at its sides - those are lasguns, after all (right?), something that doesn't even exist in the Grey Knight codex, and it looks like they'd obscure the sight for anyone trying to shoot something different and more potent than a lasgun from these firepoints - but on the other hand, these do look kinda cool, and I wouldn't want to miss out on them if possible. What's the usual way to handle this?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

The Return of a Game What I Played In
    Yikes that's a bad ork list.
    Also, there's some...strangeness in the game as reported which will have to wait until tomorrow (today) for me to discuss.
    e: Or just have Winterwind do it for me.
    Orks can't disembark after a Big Red Button mishap
    Also, Trukks don't have the Big Red Button (Don't Press Dat, in the English) rule.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2011-05-14 at 10:43 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show