New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Anti-Slavers of the Wildlands Expeditionary Guild IC

OOC - Rolls - Battle Map

Spoiler: For Draj, Asjara, and Thorn
    Show

You're currently on a mission for the Wildlands Expeditionary Guild to search the Suda Desert for a rumored oasis. This search has led you to some ruins about two days of travel northeast of Danari, the misty desert city, because the ruins are suspiciously far from any known oasis.

After walking around a wall-ending corner on your right, you see a Thri-keen resting in the intact half of a bisected archway about 15 feet away from you.

Spoiler: For SSana||ona
    Show

You're currently searching for the location of Lord Prago’s secret residuum mine. You know the mine's somewhere in the Suda Desert, but have few other details about it. This has led you to search some ruins about two days of travel northeast of Danari, the misty desert city, because the ruins are suspiciously far from any known oasis.

While resting in the shade of a bisected archway, you notice three people walk out from the wall on your left, about 15 feet away from you. That group consists of a Gnoll, a Genasi, and a Pixie.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2018-12-04 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Reworded the end of each section a bit, and added additional information.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Anti-Slavers of the Wildlands Expeditionary Guild IC

"Hmm, few come this way by chance. Are you lost, then?" The insect-like person is tall, 4-armed, and holding a simple-looking staff. The clothes he's wearing blend well into the desert, as everything does after a few days becoming coated in dust. Underneath, though, you glimpse some metal chain. It looks... warm, but plain.

SSana||ona's manner is efficient and simple. He seems like he might be willing to help, if you were lost, but might also want something in trade.

3. - Top - End - #3

Asjara holds her shield, but her warhammer is hang on her belt: travelling with both hands full is tiring and occasionally dangerous!

She wears a white cape over a hide armor. The cape looks surprisingly clean, in contrast of the generally dusty environment. Her hair seems to be made of ice crystals, glowing sky blue, and somewhat bending with the desert sky in color when there's no sandstorm.

“See, we are adventurers curious about this ruin.”

And, logically, either this thri-kreen is another adventurer, or he somehow just live in the vicinity of this ruin. The latter possibility is especially interesting, since that would confirm the existence of an oasis nearby.

Asjara thus adds a question, “...so... do you live here?”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Asjara thus adds a question, “...so... do you live here?”
    "This desert is my home, yes, but I don't own any particular patch of it. Curiosity is what brought me here, too. These ruins haven't been very interesting so far, though - their secrets are well hidden. If people used to live here, where did they get water? Perhaps it all dried up long ago." He shrugs, which, when you've got an exoskeleton, looks mostly like lifting your arms briefly into a "W" shape, and all four of the Thri-kreen's arms make the motion together.

"I haven't found anything to trade here, yet, either. By Moradin's beard, I was hoping to find something useful on this trip, but not having any luck, I'd been thinking of just moving on. Now that I see there are others who think something may be here, perhaps I'll stick around to see. I'll help you look, for a share of what we find, say." SSana||ona smiles, and you get the sense he'd have winked if he had eyelids.

"Are you W.E.G.s, then? You, uh... don't look like their usual sort of crew."

5. - Top - End - #5

Flying about 6 feet off the ground, Thorn can be hard to miss. Gossamer wings catch the light as she slows down, examining the large insect creature with violet colored eyes. A tiny lightning bolt figure in silver is present on her forehead, and she carries a dagger in one hand that looks, well, rather diminutive.

"Well, you certainly seem friendly! It's nice to meet someone who knows the value of polite conversation out here in the wilderness. We're more used to those who attack first and ask questions later. Or, well, usually they can't ask questions by the end. Although there was an interesting hyena pack a mile or so back, who I had a nice chat with, and convinced them to go hunt elsewhere."

Thorn continues flying around, lazily looping through the air.

"And yes, we're from the W.E.G. And I suppose we don't look like their normal sort...or all that normal, in general. So I think you'd fit in quite well with us, no offense meant."

Spoiler: explanation
    Show
    Pixies can communicate with fey and normal beasts. Thought I'd throw a bit of flavor in there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The final member of the team, a hyena-faced beastman in wizards robes, also emerged from the corner. "You might say we are the sort of crew the WEG would prefer not to be publicly known for, but still find useful to associate with. You say you have explored these ruins somewhat? What can you tell us so far?".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Flying about 6 feet off the ground, Thorn can be hard to miss. Gossamer wings catch the light as she slows down, examining the large insect creature with violet colored eyes.

"Well, you certainly seem friendly! It's nice to meet someone who knows the value of polite conversation out here in the wilderness. So I think you'd fit in quite well with us, no offense meant."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    The final member of the team, a hyena-faced beastman in wizards robes, also emerged from the corner. "You might say we are the sort of crew the WEG would prefer not to be publicly known for, but still find useful to associate with. You say you have explored these ruins somewhat? What can you tell us so far?".
    "I'm in the habit of being friendly when I'm surprised and outnumbered, ha!" SSana||ona laughs. "And you have me intrigued by the idea of... well, intrigue. I guess it's time for the details: what are you, or we, looking for? I'll tell you if I've seen it. Probably. If you're just here for treasure generally, I've already mentioned I haven't seen much of that yet. But with four of us maybe we can dig a little deeper than I did earlier."

8. - Top - End - #8

"It's a good idea! Four is better than three when it comes to exploring a ruin. Or anything, really." Asjara's answers joyfully. "And... I think you also mentioned this. If people lived here, where did they get water? We hear rumors about an oasis, hence we come here to examine the ruins."

9. - Top - End - #9

Working together significantly helps your search.

While the dune flows around the ruins are consistent with the ruins being ancient, the construction of the ruins isn't. SSana||ona notices that the walls are using a building technique only devised a century ago, which means these ruins are more recent than they appear.

Using that information, Asjara notes that searching for a basement is now reasonable, because it'd take relatively modern architecture in order to make one in the desert. Sure enough, you notice a small dip in the sand that, after a bit of digging, reveals a broken door hiding a dust-filled downward staircase.

Spoiler: For those without special senses
    Show

You can't see much of the basement because only a little light is filtering in there. You can see a wall and floor at the bottom of the stairs, but darkness obscures the details.

Spoiler: For those with low-light vision or better
    Show

While what you can see of the basement from here looks fairly barren, you can't see much of the basement because the stairs open into a wall. Said wall looks far more intact that the ruins around you.
    Link to true signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    SSana||ona notices that the walls are using a building technique only devised a century ago, which means these ruins are more recent than they appear.

Spoiler: For those with low-light vision or better
    Show

While what you can see of the basement from here looks fairly barren, you can't see much of the basement because the stairs open into a wall. Said wall looks far more intact that the ruins around you.
    SSana||ona says, "Hmm, could be a vault? It must've been sealed up pretty well to be so well preserved."

11. - Top - End - #11

"Maybe someone still lives in it. We can't rule out that yet." Asjara points out.

Asjara sniffs the air from behind the door. Then (assuming nothing special is smelt) she grabs a sunrod out of her backpack, turns it on and straps it on her shield. And with her warhammer in her hand, she signals that she is ready to venture inside.

12. - Top - End - #12

There are neither any unexpected smells nor any noticeable reactions to your actions.
    Link to true signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The gnoll motioned to the pixie. "Thorn, if you would? sooner we find it,sooner we get paid."

14. - Top - End - #14

Thorn flies her way in, cautiously advancing. “I’ll take the lead, if that’s ok with everyone. For some reason, people who don’t make footsteps seem to confuse some monsters. And hey, if I run into a gelatinous cube, at least we’ll both be confused.”

15. - Top - End - #15

"This kind of confusion is part of the reason this prime material plane is so exciting to run around. It never gets boring." Asjara answers Thorn.

They are the two non-native members, coming from the Elemental Chaos and the Feywild respectively, and incidentally both having access to flight, though Asjara is more limited in this regard.

Asjara holds her shield and warhammer firmly, and carefully moves forward, looking for potential traps and other surprises. Especially a gelatinous cube. After Thorn mentions this near-transparent creature, Asjara keeps having that thing in her mind.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"I said it before- we're in the wrong climate for a gelatinus cube. The Desert air would dry out any jelly exposed to outside air, and abandoned ruins arnt exactly well known for an aboundance of discarded organic matter." Draj replied pedantically, safely at the back of the march. His abyssal and beastial heritage granted him low light vision, but he was a native of this plane despite being born knowing the language of the abyss.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2018-12-02 at 04:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: For Thorn
    Show

When reach the bottom of the stairs, you get a clearer view of the rest of the room.

The room seems to have been living quarters, as evidenced by the empty beds and overturned tables within it. Nobody seems to have lived here in a while, though, as the room only contains furniture. At the other end of the room, you can see a well which looks as unused as the rest of the room.

Spoiler: For those who make a DC 12 perception check
    Show

You can see that two suspiciously large beetles are hiding beneath the beds.

Spoiler: For those who make a DC 19 perception check
    Show

You also can see that two snakes are sleeping beneath one of the tables, partly covered in sand.
    Spoiler: For those who make a DC 19 Arcana check
    Show

The amount of sand on them is due to a bunch of static electricity, which is strange.

Spoiler: For Draj, SSana||ona, and Asjara
    Show

You can see Thorn enter the room without incident.
    Link to true signature

18. - Top - End - #18

Thorn looks around the room, which at first glance seems empty.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    (1d20)[12]

"Ooooo, buggies! Big buggies! You don't see those every day."

Thorn brandishes her dagger.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2018-12-02 at 09:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Buggies...?", Asjara repeats the same words in a slightly more confused and indeterminate tone. She hurries towards Thorn's direction to see what buggies she was talking about.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

(1d20+10)[11]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

SSana||ona pokes his head in - "Did someone say bugs? Ahem, I mean, I'm right here."

He glances around for any other bugs they might mean.

Spoiler: OOC - Perception
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17]

Edited to add: "Oh, THOSE bugs, under the bed. Bed bugs. Probably not friendly. Atuku, Kreen?" (This last phrase you may get from context as asking them "What's good, bros?" or more literally "How is being Thri-Kreen?")
    Last edited by Archemist; 2018-12-03 at 02:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler: For those that have entered the room
    Show

The large beetles exit their hiding spot, and begin making aggressive clicking noises.

Spoiler: For those who can speak with natural beasts
    Show

The clicking means "The world needs to be made colder! You need to be made colder!"

Spoiler: For those who have made a DC 19 perception check
    Show

The noise wakes the snakes up.

Link to true signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"Dont clog the door, make room." Draj followed the group into the room.

Perception: (d20+5)[7]

23. - Top - End - #23

Asjara was supposed to look for potential dangers, but she completely overlooked the beetles until the said beetles crawled from under the bed.

Spoiler: What does Asjara know about the beetles?
    Show

Since you said natural beast, I assume I need a nature roll?
    (1d20+8)[21]

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Beetle information for those who make a DC 15 nature check
    Show

These beetles are specifically Tangler Beetles, known for their sticky saliva. Generally, they fight by immobilizing a foe with their spittle then using their pincers to bite it from out of their enemies' reach. Their saliva degrades on exposure to air, though.

The beetles are clearly expressing a desire to turn you into carrion.

Spoiler: OOC Battle Notes
    Show

Link to the battle map. Feel free to replace the basic character tokens I made with ones of your own.

For simplicity, turn order between PCs won't be tracked, and enemies will take all of their turns at once.

In order to do this, initiative needs to be treated differently. Specifically, all of the enemies present while a battle is instigated will have their initiatives averaged into one modifier. For this battle, modifiers will just be compared directly.

If you'd prefer that I roll initiative dice, tell me. If we used rolled initiative in future battles, I'd roll all the dice at once when the battle starts. I don't think that each player rolling their own initiative is a good idea, since that breaks the flow of the game right before every battle.

In this battle, since everyone in the party has an initiative bonus of +2 or better, you'll all get a turn before any enemies do. Against a group of foes with +3 to initiative, Draj and Thorn would go, then the foes, then all of the players.

I'll tell you enemy defenses so that you can resolve attacks with less input.
    These beetles have an AC 19, Fortitude 17, Reflex 13, and Will 14.
    Link to true signature

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

SSana||ona warns the others, "Watch out, these are sticky bugs. Stay back, bugs."

As he says this last bit, he crosses and ducks under Thorn, and strikes at the closer beetle with his staff.

Spoiler: OOC - Energizing Strike
    Show
    (1d20+10)[25], Cha vs. AC, no Augment points used. Damage if hit: (1d8+4)[9].
    And who wants 6 Temp HP? I'm thinking maybe Draj?

Staff Expertise gives him Reach on the strike so he's standing a tiny bit away. Asjara or Thorn can always feel free to duck in-between.

He gives it quite the bop on the nose, and extending a middle-arm gesture back toward the others, transfers over some of its life essence (if you're hip to that sort of thing).

Somewhat surprisingly, SSana||ona has no innate connection with the beetles, and doesn't understand them (or vice-versa, one assumes).
    Last edited by Archemist; 2018-12-04 at 05:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Thorn says "Make us colder, will you?! Let's see how you do with a spark!" and shifts forward into position, slicing at the beetle.

Spoiler: OOC- there will be another post
    Show

Move Action: Shift down/right one on the map, still 1 square above ground level
    Free Action: Lightning Weapon- All damage done is lightning
    Standard Action-Riposte Strike: (1d20+12)[15]
    If that's a hit: (1d4+9)[11] lightning damage and slide Tangler Beetle A the way I do on the map. Also, if Tangler Beetle A attacks me or an ally adjacent to me before my next turn, Immediate Interrupt for Riposte.

There will be another post.

27. - Top - End - #27

Thorn's attack goes wide of its mark as the beetle leans away. ""Ah, a challenging beastie, then!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Action Point!
    Standard action: Riposte Strike
    (1d20+12)[18] vs AC. If that hits, (1d4+9)[13] lightning damage and slide Tangler Beetle A the way I do on the map. Also, if Tangler Beetle A attacks me or an ally adjacent to me before my next turn, Immediate Interrupt for Riposte.

If that's a critical hit, Sneak Attack for 15 damage. If not, sneak attack on the minor action below

Note: I forgot to add CA initially- that's actually a 20 vs. AC here.

"I'm going to get you!"

Spoiler: more rolling
    Show

Minor Action: Low Slash
    (1d20+12)[30] vs Reflex. If that hits, (1d4+9)[10] Lightning and it's slowed until the end of my next turn. If the previous attack wasn't a critical hit, (2d6+3)[14] extra damage, lightning as well.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2018-12-04 at 08:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ha! Pick on someone your own size!

Spoiler: OOC- last one, I swear
    Show

So total of 37 Lightning damage hits, and Riposte is set up.
    If Beetle A attacks me or an ally adjacent to me and Beetle A is in reach, I get the following attack as an immediate interrupt- I'm going to preroll it for convenience. Thorn also has combat advantage against it, so I'll just include that in the roll.
    Riposte Strike Interrupt-
    Attack:(1d20+13)[19]
    Damage:[roll]1d4+2d6+11[/roll] Lightning Damage. If sliding the Beetle 1 is possible and seems useful at that point, then Thorn does so.

Also, if for some reason the Beetle provokes an OA:
    Attack: (1d20+13)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+8)[12] Lightning damage. If the Beetle is either moving out of reach or if it is provoking both an OA and the Riposte and the Riposte missed, add (2d6+3)[8] extra damage.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"Someone asked for a bit of cold, eh?" Draj stepped down from the stairs, weaving a spell safely behind his defensive staff. "Is this chilly enough? CALL the NIGHT WINDS." he shouts, as a frigid mist envelops the room.

OOC
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Close Blast 5 as indicated on the map.
    vs Beetle 1: (d20+8)[22] vs Fort
    vs Beetle 2: (d20+8)[12] vs Fort
    vs anyone else I might catch: (d20+3)[18] vs Fort (including full concealment, IIRC)
    Damage: (2d6+5)[14] cold damage

Effect: All squares in the zone are heavilly obscured from everyone except Draj. Creatures who start their turn there are Slowed until end of next turn.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2018-12-05 at 12:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Your attacks have left the closer beetle near death's door, but the one further away seems completely unfazed. The closer one also seems to be handling the mist better than expected.
    Link to true signature