New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e NPC PrC] The Guard (PEACH)

The Guard
    Just the job, ma'am.
    -Reginald, town Guard

Guards are everywhere. They guard all sorts of things. They guard castles, towns, people, treasure, cities, the common welfare, and most anything you can think of. Most are just ordinary people doing the job. Some are a smidge better than others. These are those, moderately more effective Guards.

Becoming a Guard
    Well, you see... first you go to the recruiting office...

Guards usually start out as Warriors who find that they wish to guard for a living. After a bit of time, they start getting the hang of things and learn the tricks to effective guarding. It takes time and determination, but most anyone can become a Guard.

Entry Requirements:
    Alignment: Any Lawful
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Skills: Profession (Guard) 6

Skill Points at each level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Jump

Hit Dice: d10

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st
    +1
    +2
    +0
    +0
    Keen Eyes
    2nd
    +2
    +3
    +0
    +0
    Where'd They Go?
    3rd
    +3
    +3
    +1
    +1
    Lie Detector
    4th
    +4
    +4
    +1
    +1
    Teamwork
    5th
    +5
    +4
    +1
    +1
    Voice of Authority

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Guard is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and shields except tower shields.

Keen Senses: As a Guard, it's important to notice things. Add your Guard level to all Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

Where'd They Go?: Guards benefit from the Track feat, with one slight alteration. They use Knowledge (Local) instead of Survival for the check and the ability only works within the confines of a town, city, castle, or similar area.

Lie Detector: What's the point of having a guard if they can simply be lied to or otherwise fooled? A good Guard finds that the ability to separate the truth from the falsehoods is central to their job. They enjoy a bonus to all Sense Motive checks equal to their Guard level.

Teamwork: Teamwork is key to tracking down criminals and trespassers, especially when they're a good five HD above you. Guards may be a member of a squad containing up to four other Guards. A Guard may only be a member of one group at a time. Each time a 4th level Guard attacks a target, he may grant either a +2 bonus to hit to one of his squad-mates against the target he attacked, or else inflict a -2 penalty to hit on his target when making attacks on his squad-mates. The attack does not have to hit to have this effect though the total roll must be above 10.

Voice of Authority: When a high-ranking Guard bellows, people have a tendency to obey. Guards can make an Authoritative Shout as a move action which acts as an Intimidate Check against all wrong-doers (People disobeying the law or trespassing) within 60ft of the Guard. Surprisingly, this even works against PCs. They must make a Will Save at DC 15+Charisma Modifier or immediately comply with the orders of the Guard. So if the targets are NPCs, an Intimidate check is used and if the targets are PCs they PCs make the will save. An order given by Voice of Authority may be no more than five words. If the ordered person is under the effect of a Compulsion, they receive and immediate save. They may only receive an extra save once per day in this manner.

Yeah, I made another.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 07:48 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Guard (PEACH)

No listen? Either on the skill list or as a bonus? That seems off.

Also, Voice of Authority seems pretty high. Let's look at just an unoptimized example: Guard with +0 charisma, just hit level 8 (guard 5). He has 11 ranks in intimidate, so a save DC of 21 vs Will. Give that guard just a bit of charisma, or skill focus, and it gets pumped up quickly.

I'd say make it a more standard DC 10+1/2 level (character level, otherwise full class level) + charisma mod, unless you intend for it to be the i-win button of the guard when your PCs start acting up.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a question, but do fighter feats count as class features? If not, this could be a decent class for a very urban-based campaign, at least for dips.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    No listen? Either on the skill list or as a bonus? That seems off.

Also, Voice of Authority seems pretty high. Let's look at just an unoptimized example: Guard with +0 charisma, just hit level 8 (guard 5). He has 11 ranks in intimidate, so a save DC of 21 vs Will. Give that guard just a bit of charisma, or skill focus, and it gets pumped up quickly.

I'd say make it a more standard DC 10+1/2 level (character level, otherwise full class level) + charisma mod, unless you intend for it to be the i-win button of the guard when your PCs start acting up.
    Fixed 'em both. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Just a question, but do fighter feats count as class features? If not, this could be a decent class for a very urban-based campaign, at least for dips.
    Well over in the Bartender class I stated that those did count, but it's a simple matter to say they don't. It makes it no longer an "NPC" class, but I see what you're getting at and it would be reasonable to do so if such a campaign was desired.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-05-09 at 10:57 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Question Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Guard (PEACH)

So, ... ya this class is better than all of your others(other than the assistant) but here is my question... what exactly is profession guard?... I actually have the same question about profession mage's assistent... what do these skills do?

also, as usually you need to add weapon and armor proficiency. :-)
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    So, ... ya this class is better than all of your others(other than the assistant) but here is my question... what exactly is profession guard?... I actually have the same question about profession mage's assistent... what do these skills do?
    They are pretty generic Profession skills. They, like all Profession skills, allow the character to earn an amount of money simply by performing their duties. A couple of Professions have additional uses (Such as Profession: Siege Engineer) but like most, these do not. An increase in these skills represents a raise of some kind.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oh well there you are then. :-)
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Teamwork grants very little as it is; frankly, it isn't going to help against the enemies it's supposed to help against. I'd suggest that their bandmate's attempts on a given thing count as aid another checks if they roll 10 plus, so if i attack a dude, as long as i roll 10 or more on the attack roll, the next dude in the initiative chain gets either a +2 bonus to Attack rolls or the target simply suffers a -2 on attack rolls against your bandmates.

Voice of Authority, while i have no problem with the idea, doesn't actually tell you how it's supposed to work. You apparently have to make both an Intimidate check and a save, but it doesn't actually state explicitly what either do.

Do i get the effects of an Intimidate check, followed by the Command effect? Does the Command replace the Shaken effect? Is this a variation on Coercion?

The command should be limited to a short command at most, maybe three words and should be limited to things that are in the legal authority of the guard to make; people aren't going to be compelled into handing over their stuff, though they can be coerced using successive Intimidate checks...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully cleared stuff up a bit. Changed Teamwork as suggested and agree that that's a deal more fitting. Voice of Authority has been clarified. Thanks for the feedback.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

That's actually just how Aid Another works anyway...

What i was suggesting was more like:

Teamwork: Teamwork is key to tracking down criminals and trespassers, especially when they're a good five HD above you. Guards may be a member of a squad containing up to four other Guards. A Guard may only be a member of one group at a time. Each time a 4th level Guard attacks a target, he may grant either a +2 bonus to hit to one of his squad-mates against the target he attacked, or else inflict a -2 penalty to hit on his target when making attacks on his squad-mates. The attack does not have to hit to have this effect though the total roll must be above 10.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    That's actually just how Aid Another works anyway...

What i was suggesting was more like:

Woops, why do I keep thinking that they need 15? *Facepalm*

One second.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show