New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

'preciate it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Leshy or Lesovik is a male woodland spirit in Slavic mythology who protects wild animals and forests. A leshy usually appears as a tall man, but he is able to change his size from that of a blade of grass to a very tall tree. A leshy has a close bond with the gray wolf, and is often seen in the company of bears as well. He is the Forest Lord and carries a club to express that he is the master of the wood. He is said to have the ability to shapeshift into any form, animal or plant.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Barbarian in the Playground

It matters very little mechanically, but...

Q 495

The 3rd level Gunslinger deed Gunslinger Initiative says that if you have Quick Draw, you can "draw a single firearm as part of the initiative check".

Page 183 of the Core Rulebook says that "If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one."

How do these two rules interact? If I have Quick Draw and TWF, can I draw two firearms as part of my initiative check?
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-07-10 at 02:02 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A495 I would say the gunslinger ability is more specific and therefore supersedes the more general TWF rule. But like you said, it doesn't matter mechanically since you can draw the other weapon as a free action.

4. - Top - End - #1054

This one's probably been asked 100s of times already but:

Q 496

How does Flurry of Blows work with Two-Weapon Fighting? Let's make up a level 1 monk with TWF using 2 short swords. Would he get 2 attacks? 3? 4?

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q497

Melee bite +2 (1d6+1 plus trip)
    I saw this in the wolf companion attack.
    I get the part that I do an attack roll, damage roll and a CMB roll for the free trip that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity but What am I supposed to do for the Melee bite +2 part?
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

A 497

The "bite +2" is the melee attack, and his bonus with that attack. Roll a d20 and 2 to it. This is the total attack roll for the wolf. Compare that total vs. the target's AC. If the wolf's attack is equal to or exceeds the target's AC, the attack is successful and you roll damage and the free CMB.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A496 It doesn't. Flurry of blows works as if using TWF (with upgrades as you level), being able to use the same feat from two different sources gives you no extra benefit. Aside from the fact that taking the feat allows you to use it with all weapons and not just monk weapons, but then your effective BAB drops and it's useless again.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Pixie in the Playground

Q.498 If there were a multiclass Cleric8/Summoner2, could he take the Large evolution upon taking the 2nd level in summoner? The rules say,

"The summoner must be at least 8th level before selecting this evolution."
    Does that mean he can take it since he is level 10 in total and also a summoner?

Q.499 How does a synthesist work when his Eidolon takes the mount evolution? Is it like the centaur in 3.5?

9. - Top - End - #1059

A498
    No.

Usually, when it says "you need to be level X" they actually mean "you need to be level X in this class". There might be a few exceptions, but this is not one of them.

A499
    Not really, all that would happen is that someone would be able to mount you in battle and use mount-related abilities and maneuvers.

If you want a centaur, all you have to do is grab the Limbs(arms) evolution on a quad eidolon as there are no rules discriminating how long is your eidolon's torso and how is it shaped (you still wouldn't get the extra 5ft in range when enlarged though).

But if you're interested in making a centaur down to the mechanics, ask your DM if you'd be able to do it with Mount+Limbs(arms).
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-07-11 at 01:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 500
    Can an evil cleric under an Invisibility spell use Channel Negative Energy to heal his undead minions without breaking the spell and becoming visible?

Q 501
    What happens when you cast a Darkness spell into an area that contains both a Light and a Dancing Lights spell?

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A500 Yes, using channeling for healing is an inoffensive use of the ability (since you can't heal and harm at the same time).

A501 Casting darkness on an area with light, dancing light, or both, lowers the areas of normal light to dim light, and areas of dim light to darkness. Darkness is a 2nd level spell, so it should be applied after any [light] effects of lower level. If you use darkness to dispel one of the effects, one of them would still remain.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks, appreciate it!

Q 500, addendum:
    The reason I asked was this phrase in the channeling rules: A cleric must be able to present her holy symbol to use this ability. One might argue that he isn't really presenting his holy symbol if no one can see it. Or does the "present" in this case just refer to, "must be able to grab and show it"?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A500+ That's irrelevant, affected creatures don't need to see your holy symbol to be affected. Think of it like a divine focus for casting a spell.
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-07-12 at 04:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1064

Q 502

Can anyone find where it says what the hp/hardness of firearms is?

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A 502

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...-and-Hitpoints

firearms are considered to be projectile weapons. Thus, according to the chart they have 5 hardness and 5 hitpoints (with +10 hp and +2 hardness per enhancement bonus of the firearm.)

16. - Top - End - #1066

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp_Paladin View Post
    A 502

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...-and-Hitpoints

firearms are considered to be projectile weapons. Thus, according to the chart they have 5 hardness and 5 hitpoints (with +10 hp and +2 hardness per enhancement bonus of the firearm.)
    I figured that would be the answer... seems kinda silly that they think a hand crossbow equals a heavy crossbow equals a pistol equals a culverin. Probably needs some houseruling.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q: 503 Would it be possible to disguise oneself as one of the more humanoid outsiders? What would the DC for that be like?

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Orc in the Playground

A503 Disguise as a different race has a -2 penalty on your skill check. There are no specifications beyond that, by RAW it doesn't matter if you are disguising as a halfling or a half orc, apparently (link). It has no DC, is opposed to perception checks.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A503+ I don't think Disguise actually allows you to disguise into a different racial type, but this is a clear case where the GM's adjudication is needed. Superficially disguising as tiefling with mostly humanoid features shouldn't be that much harder than, say, a gnoll (which is only a -2 penalty).

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    I figured that would be the answer... seems kinda silly that they think a hand crossbow equals a heavy crossbow equals a pistol equals a culverin. Probably needs some houseruling.
    Umm, no, siege weapons have different rules entirely.

But a early musket/pistol was rather fragile.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 504: sneak attack and touch spells.

do touch and ranged touch spells get sneak attack?
    will a scorching ray with 2 rays only get once the bonus?
    a vampiric touch 5d6 with 4d6 sneak damage will grant 9d6 temporary hit points?
    does empower/maximize increase the sneak damage?
    when a rogue joins a battle in the middle of the fight stealthed are his enemies flat footed?

i have found only rules in 3.5 but not a single one in pathfinder. there are some statements of the developers but still not clear

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A504a Yes, any attack that does damage is viable for sneak attack.
    A504b Yes, one sneak attack per attack roll.
    A504c Yes, other effects that increase the attack's damage also apply.
    A504d No, sneak attack is not part of the "numeric effects of a spell".
    A504e No, and you can't stealth in combat either unless you have HiPS and the requisite conditions.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Spamalot in the Playground

These questions concern the Magician Bard.

Q505a: Does a Magician's Dweomercraft apply to his own spells?

Q505b:When a Magician uses Extended Performance, do the additional rounds of performance he gains count against his rounds of performance per day? Or does the "clock stop ticking" when he stops concentrating even if the effects continue?

Q505c: Does Extended Performance stack with the Lingering Performance feat?

Q505d: What benefit is there to the Magician for gaining the Arcane Bond class feature, since he has no spellbook and doesn't prepare spells? Do you just end up with a free drawback that you have to protect from harm for the rest of your career?

Q505e: Is Metamagic Mastery constantly active while you perform, or does it require a separate action to use it each time? In other words, provided you have a spell slot high enough, could you stack as much metamagic as you wanted on a single spell and have it still be a standard action?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-07-16 at 10:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A504e No, and you can't stealth in combat either unless you have HiPS and the requisite conditions.
    And, by the RAW, you still can't. But it's RAI and commonly houseruled.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    And, by the RAW, you still can't. But it's RAI and commonly houseruled.
    How does this fit in with the rules for sniping, which allow you to make an attack (IE, combat) and then make a move check to remain hidden?

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    How does this fit in with the rules for sniping, which allow you to make an attack (IE, combat) and then make a move check to remain hidden?
    Specific rule for just that- but note at a serious minus.

Sniping: If you've already successfully used Stealth at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack and then immediately use Stealth again. You take a –20 penalty on your Stealth check to maintain your obscured location.

HiPS will not make your foes flat-footed automatically. By RAW. But there's a Blog with a suggested rule re-write for Stealth & Perception that would do so, so it appears to be RAI.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 506

If I make a Rogue that takes either the Knife Master Archetype or the Vicious Claws talent, then takes levels in another class that grants Sneak Attack dice such as Assassin, can the SA dice from that second class be rolled as d8s provided I'm using the right sort of weapon?

For example, say I'm a Catfolk Rogue 5/Assassin 5 with Cat's Claws and Vicious Claws, would I roll 1d4(claws)+3d6(Assassin)+3d8(Rogue) or just 1d4+6d8? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'd like to know for sure since my DM will probably have a problem with this, though I can't see why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    HiPS will not make your foes flat-footed automatically. By RAW.
    Using Stealth never did make your targets flat-footed, not even in 3.5 as far as I know. Since Stealth breaks when you attack, it should deny your targets' Dexterity bonus against the first attack if they cannot see you, but this doesn't work in Pathfinder. Why? Because the Stealthed condition is undefined. Most GMs (including myself) will extend the Invisible condition to Stealthed characters.

A505a Yes, unless stated otherwise, you are your own ally.
    A505b The effects linger, but you are no longer performing. No extra performance rounds are spent.
    A505c Yes, it's not a typed bonus. Note that Lingering Performance stops if you start another performance, while your Extended Performance does not.
    A505d You can cast any spell you know once per day (I think this was answered in FAQ somewhere). But you do have to wear the item to cast spells normally from then on, which as a downside.
    A505e It only applies to one metamagic feat per performance.

A506 Yes, sneak attack is a single ability (regardless of how many sources it comes from), effects affecting your sneak attack ability, affect it as a whole.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 507
    For funsies, and because I might be using it in a PBP game, I am designing a stronghold using the extremely handy Stronghold User's Guide for D&D. I have solved people being able to scry or detect into my base, so my question is now how do I avoid people teleporting into my base.

Advantages (for me):
    The base moves (burrows) so does not remain in the same location
    I'll be the only one to know EXACTLY where it is.

Disadvantages:
    I'm a Good character, so I can't kill all the builders.
    I need to be able to teleport into and out of the base because most of the time it's going to be ten miles below the ground.

So, how do I stop enemies teleporting in or out, or better yet, how do I prevent enemies from knowing what my base looks like/prevent the builders from telling anyone anything useful? I need something from Pathfinder ruleset or something 3.5 that a DM won't mind allowing.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A505d You can cast any spell you know once per day (I think this was answered in FAQ somewhere). But you do have to wear the item to cast spells normally from then on, which as a downside.
    So... all you get is an extra spell/day? In exchange for all your casting henceforth being item-reliant?

That's immensely disappointing if true. I'm going to take that one to the Paizo boards just to be certain.

Thanks for the clarification on Metamagic Mastery, I missed that it ended the performance.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-07-18 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)