New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    But musical wounds is really only of much help when you have multiple wound models. Sure it might make a difference if you have 3-4x as many wounds to assign as you have model and you might get lucky and have a few 1/2s hit the same model but there is no control over it and it doesn't happen all that often.
    It could make a difference in certain situations though. Like, say, those two Marines are the only ones left in their squad, and they are hit and wounded by two meltaguns and one bolter. If they were equipped in the same fashion, the meltas would kill both; with one having bolter+sword and the other bolter+pistol, it's possible to assign both meltagun wounds to the same Marine and have the other one take an armour save against the bolter.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

The good news is that boltgun + chainsword is entirely legal on death company.
    The bad news is that having boltgun + chainsword gives you exactly no bonuses in assault.
    The other good better news is that since death company are relentless, giving them boltguns is actually a very good idea.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    it's possible to assign both meltagun wounds to the same Marine and have the other one take an armour save against the bolter.
    And having a single marine left in a squad is going to make a difference how much of the time? On the last turn where they happen to be holding/contesting an objective or being/not being a kill point but the majority of the time its not going to mean much of anything. Its a theoretical advantage, yes, but I don't think its an actual advantage the majority of the time, especially since you're giving up (a little bit of) combat power to get it.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    And having a single marine left in a squad is going to make a difference how much of the time? On the last turn where they happen to be holding/contesting an objective or being/not being a kill point but the majority of the time its not going to mean much of anything. Its a theoretical advantage, yes, but I don't think its an actual advantage the majority of the time, especially since you're giving up (a little bit of) combat power to get it.
    Oh, I absolutely agree, it's something that would come up very, very rarely, and probably end up disadvantaging you just as often by not having a pistol to shoot when assaulting. Personally, I think it wouldn't be worth the hassle of having to manage different types of Marines where a single type would have done.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

This actualy came up in a way, in our last apocalypse battle.

BA were facing off against an emperial guard tank army, and were getting shot to pieces.
    Unfortunately, there were generaly a couple of survivors who survived getting into melee, where they then tore the tanks appart.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Seven Grey Pointers* charged by three units of ten-ish Orks while in cover. Six power weapon wounds, fourteen normal wounds**, allocated three PK each to the Sharkin and the Shark Guard, and the rest to the unit. Due to re-rolls I take exactly two casualties and rout all three units.
    *Or White Hunters I still don't know
    **Thanks to counter-charge and shark standard and Living Legend I killed several orks before they attacked.

Being able to muck with wound allocation is useful, but can be much more trouble than it's worth. See: my Terminator squad comprised of 1x power weapon/storm bolter, 1x pw/sb/cyclone launcher, 1x chainfist/sb, 1x shark tooth/sb, and 1x Ajax Stormfin. It can take over a minute to roll saves.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Seven Grey Pointers* charged by three units of ten-ish Orks while in cover. Six power weapon wounds, fourteen normal wounds**, allocated three PK each to the Sharkin and the Shark Guard, and the rest to the unit. Due to re-rolls I take exactly two casualties and rout all three units.
    *Or White Hunters I still don't know
    **Thanks to counter-charge and shark standard and Living Legend I killed several orks before they attacked.

Being able to muck with wound allocation is useful, but can be much more trouble than it's worth. See: my Terminator squad comprised of 1x power weapon/storm bolter, 1x pw/sb/cyclone launcher, 1x chainfist/sb, 1x shark tooth/sb, and 1x Ajax Stormfin. It can take over a minute to roll saves.
    But that minute can mean the difference between winning and losing a game and that will make all the difference.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Dwarf in the Playground

Working on some TO stuff, but I've got a question I'd like a general opinion on: Table quarter missions.

Generally you see table quarters as "player with the most VPs in the quarter takes it." Which is all fine and dandy, but I'd prefer a focus more on troop units, and less on "killy kill kill." Plus we're strapped for time usually and VPs are time consuming and there's plenty of room for error or 'accidental' miscalculations.

So my first instinct is to make each quarter held if it contains a troop unit and contested if any enemy unit is within it--but that seems like an easy way to have games end in a draw--so after some digging the next solution I've come up with is that quarters can only be contested by units at or above half strength or undamaged vehicles.

Am I just being overly cautious about the game ending in a draw and going to secondary win conditions as a determining factor (tournament will use points earned each round for primary/secondary/tertiary objectives...so I guess splitting primary and winning on secondary isn't so bad...but still.) I have some time to tweak scenario specifics, and I was looking for an objective, non-participating opinion.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BoSheck View Post
    Working on some TO stuff, but I've got a question I'd like a general opinion on: Table quarter missions.

Generally you see table quarters as "player with the most VPs in the quarter takes it." Which is all fine and dandy, but I'd prefer a focus more on troop units, and less on "killy kill kill." Plus we're strapped for time usually and VPs are time consuming and there's plenty of room for error or 'accidental' miscalculations.

So my first instinct is to make each quarter held if it contains a troop unit and contested if any enemy unit is within it--but that seems like an easy way to have games end in a draw--so after some digging the next solution I've come up with is that quarters can only be contested by units at or above half strength or undamaged vehicles.

Am I just being overly cautious about the game ending in a draw and going to secondary win conditions as a determining factor (tournament will use points earned each round for primary/secondary/tertiary objectives...so I guess splitting primary and winning on secondary isn't so bad...but still.) I have some time to tweak scenario specifics, and I was looking for an objective, non-participating opinion.
    You're more or less reinventing the Third Edition 'Cleanse' scenario.
    So... Tired...

10. - Top - End - #760
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinaky View Post
    You're more or less reinventing the Third Edition 'Cleanse' scenario.
    I didn't play in third edition, or fourth edition. I'm given to understand scoring worked differently then. All i'm working with is scenarios I've played in or read for other tournaments.

Any actual input would be welcome.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

New Frog World:

Dark Eldar Tantalus:

£85 & rules in IA Apoc 2.

Land Raider Proteus / Mk1:

£80...maybe with new rules (no assault, some bonus perhaps)?

I like the DE skimmer, it'd make a great centrepiece for an Autarch to ride around on.
    The Land Raider I'm not so sure about - I'll need to see how it scales up first.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the dark eldar ride, it looks like it will be huge as well (perhapse even super heavy).

The Raider is just a throwback to the first edition (or was it second edition ) land raiders which have the exact same lines and design. So honestly not that impressed
    Check out my horrible homebrews

13. - Top - End - #763
    Colossus in the Playground

While they weren't on sale, those land raiders were, as I recall, in photos in the 3rd ed codex.

It was some way into 3rd ed before the present-day land raider appeared.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

80 quid is only ten bucks AUD more than current Land Raiders and a lot of people really dig the retro-style 'Raider.
    Probably costs less than actual retro 'Raiders, too.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

That style Raider is from 1st ed, originally a scratchbuild with only one lascannon a side and a boltgun:

Original Stats:

Max speed: 20"
    Acceleration/Deceleration: 7"
    Turn Radius: 1

Capacity: 10
    Toughness: 8
    Damage: 30
    Save: 5+
    Equipment: 3 (2x targeters, auto-drive)
    Weapons: 5 (2x Lascannon, 1 bolter)

in the Compendium they upgraded it:

Move stats the same

Cap: 12
    T: 8
    Dam: 50
    Sv: 2+
    Eq: 14 (2x 1" power fields w synchronisers, auto aim, auto-fac, targeters, communicator, bio-scanner, energy-scanner, rad-counter, ejector seats, medi-pack)
    Wep: 12 (4x lascannon, 2x heavy bolters)

Who says GW have always favoured marines?

When Epic 40,000 (forever curse its name!) came out in early 1997, and the Land Raider and Thunderhawk were redesigned into their current incarnations. Well, the Land Raider was a little different, represented by the FW MkIIb version.

Funnily enought GW didn't sell the Mk1 for the latter half of 2nd ed (at least not in Australia).

Good point about the cost there Ninja, though I'm not sure the hassle of assembly would outweigh the savings. That and I already own six Land Raiders...
    Last edited by Zorg; 2011-09-16 at 11:50 AM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    That and I already own six Land Raiders...
    Wow! Do you actually ever use all 6?

Now I really am tempted to do a pre heresy army what with the old school land raider and the old school dreadnoughts that are being released. Sounds interesting.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    New Frog World:

[Dark Eldar Tantalus]
    *Deep Breath*
    ...Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm so happy right now you don't even know!

Anyway, for my next list...

Spoiler
    Show
    Archon - 140 Points
    Agoniser, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Grenades
    Shadow Field

Kabalite Trueborn (x4) - 163 Points
    x4 Blasters
    + Venom

Kabalite Warriors (x5) - 115 Points
    Blaster
    + Venom

Blaster
    + Venom

Blaster
    + Venom

Wyches (x10) - 180 Points
    Haywire Grenades
    + Raider

Haywire Grenades
    + Raider

Ravager - 105 Points
    x1 Disintegrator Cannon

Ravager - 105 Points
    x1 Disintegrator Cannon

Total: 1218 Points (of 1250 limit)

30 Points left.
    Obvious choice is to put Flickerfield/Nightshield on the Ravagers, although I'm not quite sure which. Probably Flickerfields. Although don't really know what to do with my last 10(12) points.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Archon - 140 Points
    Agoniser, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Grenades
    Shadow Field
    a solid choice however I would drop the grenade launcher as defensive grenades rarely come in handy. I would than also add a blaster as a bs 7 blaster is awesome and the lost attack (due to no 2cc) is made up for with a higher chance of a wound on the blaster and the increased versatility (i.e. chance to pop the transport and thus assault the contents, or immobilize a fast moving vehicle to get auto hits with your wyches).

Kabalite Trueborn (x4) - 163 Points
    x4 Blasters
    + Venom
    I have grown to hate this sort of unit. They are wasteful, near throw away units unfortunately due to low toughness and negligible armor. They drop out of their venom pop a vehicle of their choice than get pasted by return fire. The problem with that is unless the vehicle was equal in points to the trueborn (which is rare unless its a land raider) you are trading down in units.

I would suggest dual lance trueborn units. They are only slightly trailing the blasters in fire power but what they loose in numbers they make up for in survivability. They do not need to fly around in a death trap (on average if their venom exploded they take 2 wounds losing 1 guy which is both a moral check and quite a few points down the drain) they need not get into small arms fire (which 18" is because a 6" move gets you in rapid fire range and a marine unit rapid firing on them kills 3.5 even with normal cover save). Instead they sit in the rear out of small arms fire being effective from turn 1 on. If they are shot than its more than likely with heavier weapons which means they are not being directed at your ravagers or venoms which is awesome.

Blaster
    + Venom

Blaster
    + Venom

Blaster
    + Venom

Haywire Grenades
    + Raider

Haywire Grenades
    + Raider
    solid core choices but I would drop a wych so the archon can tag along.

Ravager - 105 Points
    x1 Disintegrator Cannon

Ravager - 105 Points
    x1 Disintegrator Cannon

Total: 1218 Points (of 1250 limit).
    with anti tank covered by the rest of the army these guys are right in their nitch as the clean up crew for the heavy enemy units if they have 3 cannons, so I would just go all cannon instead of split effectiveness.

With the dropped launcher and wych and the swap of blasters to lances you net another 32 points.

I would drop 1 wych and 1 trueborn and add another dual lance trueborn unit. This means your overall list has lost 2 wyches total and your blasters are now lance and hitting 2 units and you have gained a blaster on the archon.
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2011-09-17 at 02:34 AM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    a solid choice however I would drop the grenade launcher as defensive grenades rarely come in handy. I would than also add a blaster as a bs 7 blaster is awesome and the lost attack (due to no 2cc) is made up for with a higher chance of a wound on the blaster and the increased versatility
    I'm actually considering dropping the Archon for Sliscus. 10 points less, does more or less the same thing as the Archon, and gives bonuses to the rest of the army. Don't know why I didn't see it in the first place.

As for the Phantasm, it's a really good investment. It pays for Assault Grenades (which Dark Eldar really do want with their non-wasted high Initiative), as well as Defensive Grenades. Which is handy for shooty units like Trueborn who aren't likely to get out of their vehicle unless they're shot out of it rife for Assaulting.

I would suggest dual lance trueborn units. They are only slightly trailing the blasters in fire power but what they loose in numbers they make up for in survivability.
    After buying an f*ton of Warriors today (to make minimum squads of 5 with), I was sincerely disappointed to learn of the lack of Blasters I would have. Not to mention I then immediately went on the internet-a-webs to see if they still sold the old Blaster/Shredder blisters...They don't.

So, the unit full of Blasters will probably have to wait. Since I'm going to include Sliscus, I'll probably drop the Blaster-Trueborn in favour of Splinter Cannons and Shardcarbines. But, yeah, I do now have an over-abundance of Dark Lances I'm not using for anything else.

...Speaking of which, I've cracked open all my sprues, checked out page 59 and I can't find any Shardcarbines.
    Looks like I'll have to pick up a box of Scourges.

with anti tank covered by the rest of the army these guys are right in their nitch as the clean up crew for the heavy enemy units if they have 3 cannons, so I would just go all cannon instead of split effectiveness.
    You're doing it wrong. Ravagers don't get Power From Pain, and so therefore should absolutely not be clean up crew getting 'last kills' if you've got a unit of Warriors (or Trueborn, turns out) who could get the kills instead.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-09-17 at 05:20 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #770

A quick question to the Warhammer people who know alot more about Warhammer than me!

Is allowing Mixed Codex armies a good or bad thing? Specifically, in the case of Tyranids and Orks?

Just want the opinion of some people more knowledgeable than me!
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    A quick question to the Warhammer people who know alot more about Warhammer than me!

Is allowing Mixed Codex armies a good or bad thing? Specifically, in the case of Tyranids and Orks?

Just want the opinion of some people more knowledgeable than me!
    unless its apocalypse it is regarded as completely unacceptable in most gaming groups unless everyone playing has agreed to it ahead of time.

i got pretty chewed out here after bringing up the subject of a Stormraven in a Codex: Ultramarines Space Marines army.

sorry

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post

Generally it's regarded as unacceptable. As DM said, unless you're in the kind of environment that allows such things.

Mostly because it can get kind of ridiculous. The example given; Tyranids and Orks, is woefully underpowered given the combinations that could otherwise arise. Although I suppose if the idea was Tervigons + Orks.

Generally, it's the kind of thing that happens in 2v2 tournaments. Y'see, there's this guy called Fateweaver, and his rules specifcally state "all friendly models", not 'models you control', or 'daemons', so, obviously, the idea is to pair him with Hammernator-spam Dark Angels and go crazy with the unkillable army.

Incidentally; Queensland won the State Teams Event.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-09-17 at 05:28 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Generally, it's the kind of thing that happens in 2v2 tournaments. Y'see, there's this guy called Fateweaver, and his rules specifcally state "all friendly models", not 'models you control', or 'daemons', so, obviously, the idea is to pair him with Hammernator-spam Dark Angels and go crazy with the unkillable army.
    For exactly that reason, it's become practice 'round here to include "special rules and abilities of one player do not affect his teammate, ever" in the team tournament rules. No Fateweaver giving re-rolls to Hammernators; not even re-rollable to-wound rolls from an allied Eldar Farseer's Doom, etc.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

So played my first game ever against orks, and despite being outnumbered 1v2 I atleast tied against him. It was a capture and control game.

Highlights:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 1. On first turn, the Orks player Shokk Attak Gun rolled double ones. He freaked out and I asked him what that meant. He looked at me with a scared face and sad "It means very bad things". He then rolled a 6 and wiped out half of an orc mob and half of a loota squad.
    • 2. Swarmlord charges into a squad of ork boys, ork boys kill him in 2 player turns.
    • 3. Genestealers outflank to the left to attack Ghazgull Thraka and his mob of Nobz. Ghazgull then spends the entire round of combat hypnotized by the broodlord, while the nobz do everything and slaughter the genestealers.
    • Doom of Malantai deepstriking behind three squads of ork boyz, two of which fail the leadership test. It then promptly gets overruned and refuses to die until the Nobz come in to clean it up.
    • Trygon Prime gets knocked down to 1 wound, and proceeds to make all of his armor saves, and once Ghazgull attempts to shoot it he fails. So a loota kills it instead.
    • Lootas rolling only ones on there roll to see how many shots they get, but proceed to roll all 5's and sixes on there to hit roll (But fail to wound always)
    • Carnifex charges a single ork nob, Ork nob proceeds to knock the carnifex to 1 wound and refuses to die until the next turn.
    • On the final turn a Trukk attempts to shoot down the single warrior holding my objective but gets rammed by a Carnifex who makes his leadership and runs into synapse (Which happened to be towards the trukk) while the other Carnifex blocks the passageway with his Instinctive Behavior body rampaging around.

All in all it was incredibly fun to play against Orks, I definetely would want to do it again, and if I had moved my Termigaunts to support my Hormagaunts I probably wouldve won.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2011-09-17 at 07:03 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

25. - Top - End - #775

Forgive me for barging in and not contributing. I played 40k about 2 editions ago and when I tell you I was playing Dark Eldar you can probably guess why (among other things) I quit playing at some point. Now while I don't really have the time and money to commit to the hobby again, I do know they finally updated the codex some time ago, I actually even have the new codex but not the new core rules and I haven't played in years.
    Would anyone of the active players inform me how well Dark Eldar work out at the moment in terms of tournamentability and fun to play?
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Partysan View Post
    Would anyone of the active players inform me how well Dark Eldar work out at the moment in terms of tournamentability and fun to play?
    Honestly, Dark Eldar haven't changed much. Yes, there are a lot of new toys for Dark Eldar, but most of them pale in comparison to the old things that were just made better.

Dark Eldar are still incredibly fragile, although that can be said of most T3, 5+ armour save armies, unforunately, Dark Eldar don't have the numbers that Orks, Tyranids and Guard do. And rely mostly on boats. Probably more than they did before.
    Venoms and Raiders. Pretty much every unit you have needs one or the other.

'Tournamentability', Dark Eldar are fantastic. But only with boats. Foot Dark Eldar do not do well at all. Like I said, they don't have the numbers that Tyranids and Orks do, and yet will still die to Bolters.

Fun to play? I don't know. What do you want to do? Does this army appeal to you? As a core to an army, it's probably one of the better ones. Anyway, there are two (three) ways to do a 'Tournamentable' Dark Eldar army;

Warriors. Basically the list that I've already linked.
    Wyches. Basically the list that I've already linked, with more Wyches and Raiders instead of Venoms.
    Wracks. Basically a Wych list with Wracks instead and more Haemonculi. Has pretty much the same playstyle as Wyches.

In all cases, you. Need. Boats. A slow Dark Eldar army is a dead Dark Eldar army. Dark Eldar aren't like Space Marines, if Space Marines don't have Rhinos Razorbacks, they've still got 3+ armour. Dark Eldar don't have that and die plenty to Bolters.

So, yeah. Dark Eldar have a lot of new toys, but, whatever you can think of that worked in the older edition, works even better now.

Ravagers. Just Ravagers.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

It was written 7 months ago, not a whole lot has changed, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-09-18 at 01:06 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #777

My fledgeling Blood Angels actually won a game, and through the jammiest way I have seen in quite a while.

It was 1000pts of Descent of Angels against Veteran spam Imperial Guard, fighting for Kill points on Dawn of War. By turn four he was doing pretty well, as a big blob of my Assault marines had steadfastly failed every single re-rolled reserves roll so far. I had snagged a few kill points on the far flank, and the bulk of his army lay in a pair of chimeras, filled to the gills with melta guns. Last turn they had rolled up and vaporised the big unit on the table, and only the wounded librarian survived.

So when my second 10-man squad finally showed (and even the turn 4 2+ roll needed to be rerolled!)... I actually dropped them in on the far side of the table, as far as possible from the action. I figured I could struggle for the draw, and there was no point sticking them against 2 melta filled tanks. For the movement phase, my surviving librarian hopped over a deep forest, just making it to the far side. The remains of my mini-squad finish off an immobilised tank, putting me 1 kill point in the lead.

In his turn the 2 tanks go to barge through the forest. Difficult terrain for the first: 1. Difficult terrain for the second: 1. Both tanks stuck in the mud. He now an effective firing reach of 12" on the move, against an army entirely comprised of jump packs.

With that the librarian flies away, giggling in a most un-Space Marineish way and the game end is conceded by my opponent.

I'm still struggling to change from Orks to BA, but it's a fun learning experience. I have acquired numerous second hand jump packs, though does anyone know which box set holds the most Melta guns?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    My fledgeling Blood Angels actually won a game, and through the jammiest way I have seen in quite a while.

It was 1000pts of Descent of Angels against Veteran spam Imperial Guard, fighting for Kill points on Dawn of War. By turn four he was doing pretty well, as a big blob of my Assault marines had steadfastly failed every single re-rolled reserves roll so far. I had snagged a few kill points on the far flank, and the bulk of his army lay in a pair of chimeras, filled to the gills with melta guns. Last turn they had rolled up and vaporised the big unit on the table, and only the wounded librarian survived.

So when my second 10-man squad finally showed (and even the turn 4 2+ roll needed to be rerolled!)... I actually dropped them in on the far side of the table, as far as possible from the action. I figured I could struggle for the draw, and there was no point sticking them against 2 melta filled tanks. For the movement phase, my surviving librarian hopped over a deep forest, just making it to the far side. The remains of my mini-squad finish off an immobilised tank, putting me 1 kill point in the lead.

In his turn the 2 tanks go to barge through the forest. Difficult terrain for the first: 1. Difficult terrain for the second: 1. Both tanks stuck in the mud. He now an effective firing reach of 12" on the move, against an army entirely comprised of jump packs.

With that the librarian flies away, giggling in a most un-Space Marineish way and the game end is conceded by my opponent.

I'm still struggling to change from Orks to BA, but it's a fun learning experience. I have acquired numerous second hand jump packs, though does anyone know which box set holds the most Melta guns?
    They sell meltaguns in groups of five. Wish I knew why they were metal
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #779

So.....'Ard Boyz over the weekend. Used Orks, lost pretty horrendously.

Game 1: VS Tyranids.
    Hive Guard powered through my biker nobs without trouble, and Swarmlord made them run. Tried to get Thraka stuck in quick, but he got drowned in Trygon and a Hive Tyrant. My Lootas forgot to bring extra ammo, and basically accomplished nothing the whole fight. Massacred, Tabled, got 1 point for killing the messenger.

Game 2: VS Black Templars
    This guy only had 1 LR Crusader, 2 squads of Sword Bretherin, and a biker techmarine with some attack bikes, so it wasn't what I expected from a Templar army. This was a pretty easy game, and if we'd played faster, I would have won easily. Nobs did better, getting assaulted by 15 Crusaders with the Champion, and then another 20 before finally falling after cutting down some 25 foes. If I had thought to hurl my 20-squad of ShootaBoyz nearby into the fray, I would have won easily. LootaBoyz actually got something done, which was nice. Lost on the last turn because I stupidly moved my only available troop squad away from the flag to Klaw a Rhino and try to pop the LR Crusader. So, basically, I blew it. Minor Loss, got 9 points.

Game 3: VS Chaos Marines
    Lash Daemon Prince, Lash Sorceror, Plagues, 9 Oblits, and Havoc Launchers. Got pretty ruined by this guy, immobilizing both of my Battlewagons and wrecked my Deff Dread on Turn 1. Apparently my Mek was tinkering with his KFF, because it didn't do anything. Was fun, more or less, so I didn't really mind losing to this guy. Massacre, Tabled, got 1 point for killing his Sorceror.

Final Score: 11 points.
    Local Winners: Salamanders, IG, IG, in that order. All of them passed on the finals, so I haven't a clue who's going on. Not me, anyways.

Yeah, I know, I brought Orks to a Grey Knight fight, and I didn't truly believe I would win anything, but I still wanted to. Pretty much all of my friends said I should have brought my Blood Angels, and I probably WOULD have done better in the first game, but after that, I probably would have been swept under the rug again. Oh well, maybe I'll do better next year.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    The Tactical Squad box has one. That's it.

Your best bet is to order the blister of 5 Meltaguns.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome