New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    Noticed a few people complaining about XPs and their non-usable nature for the game. I have a Mac. Please realize that I'm never going to be able to play this game, and I didn't even have a chance of it. If you could please cease complaining on this nature, thank you.
    If you could afford a Mac, you can surely afford an X360 or PS3.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Noticed a few people complaining about XPs and their non-usable nature for the game. I have a Mac. Please realize that I'm never going to be able to play this game, and I didn't even have a chance of it. If you could please cease complaining on this nature, thank you.

Looks fantastic, though, and I can't wait to watch some Let's Plays of it!
    Unless your Mac is like a million years old you can use bootcamp. Of course, whether your kit meets the minimum spec then becomes relevant...

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    If you could afford a Mac, you can surely afford an X360 or PS3.
    The Joys of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Unless your Mac is like a million years old you can use bootcamp. Of course, whether your kit meets the minimum spec then becomes relevant...
    I've been on the lookout for that, VMWare, or anything else that I can.

Point still does apply, though.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh XCOM! How many sleepless nights have I had, staring at the computer screen, quivering in terror at 2 in the morning as a strange alien rounds the corner and I'm out of TU's and all I hear is the plasma blast and the shriek as my soldiers die??

I am psyched to see this game. I downloaded the original via steam and now I'm afraid to close my eyes in case my town becomes a terror site!
    Last edited by GunnDancer; 2012-09-25 at 07:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks fantastic, though, and I can't wait to watch some Let's Plays of it!
    Isn't Firaxis stuff usually ported?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    My day just got friggin epic.

Steam isn't going to have it, at least at launch, but I can hope. I hope.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #187

Flumph

I've been on the lookout for that, VMWare, or anything else that I can.

Point still does apply, though.
    Bootcamp is built in, you just need a copy of Windows to install.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

I... I...

WARNING: THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR SCREEN RESOLUTION:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now to find a copy of Windows.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-09-25 at 08:20 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, although I'm not sure how well windows 7 runs on bootcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes
    Yes, they are. It is rather strange that they are not porting this one. The Cv series are probably amongst the best selling Mac games of all times. I wonder why they didn't go that way this time. The game clearly appeals to the same demographic.

My poor laptop couldn't take the game anyway, so I'm glad I have a PS3, but it is still a bummer.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Haven't the foggiest. Still have to grab a copy, though.... now to scheme.

Yes, they are. It is rather strange that they are not porting this one. The Cv series are probably amongst the best selling Mac games of all times. I wonder why they didn't go that way this time. The game clearly appeals to the same demographic.

My poor laptop couldn't take the game anyway, so I'm glad I have a PS3, but it is still a bummer.

Grey Wolf
    Checking the App Store, Civ 5 was one of its best selling apps, ever. Made a tonnnnn of money.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

So I just tried out the demo for the new xcom game.

I am on the fence. On one hand, it looks like Xcom.

On the other hand, it does not PLAY like XCOM. Sure, the prescripted tutorial mission had 3/4 of your squad die, but once I was in control for the next mission and not being ****ing retarded like the tutorial is, the aliens ever only got two shots off. One of thos missed, the other destroyed a piece of cover without doing anything to my guy behind it. Kind of a joke really. Also, the consolitis, while not game-breakingly bad like it is in some games, is clearly in effect. The simple fact is that I didn't get to experiance enough GAMEPLAY (despite this being the demo) to even know how the finished product will play. How do the interception missions work? I have no idea, demo didn't cover it. What about letting me play with the base management somewhat, to see if that is still fun? nope. not covered at all*. So far I am not impressed, and will require watching totalbiscuit or somebody play some first before I decide if I want to spend money on it or not.

*technically included, but everything was prescripted demo bull**** with all your options already chosen for you and you can't even physically do anything else.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post

On the other hand, it does not PLAY like XCOM. Sure, the prescripted tutorial mission had 3/4 of your squad die, but once I was in control for the next mission and not being ****ing retarded like the tutorial is, the aliens ever only got two shots off. One of thos missed, the other destroyed a piece of cover without doing anything to my guy behind it. Kind of a joke really. Also, the consolitis, while not game-breakingly bad like it is in some games, is clearly in effect. The simple fact is that I didn't get to experiance enough GAMEPLAY (despite this being the demo) to even know how the finished product will play. How do the interception missions work? I have no idea, demo didn't cover it. What about letting me play with the base management somewhat, to see if that is still fun? nope. not covered at all*. So far I am not impressed, and will require watching totalbiscuit or somebody play some first before I decide if I want to spend money on it or not.

*technically included, but everything was prescripted demo bull**** with all your options already chosen for you and you can't even physically do anything else.
    That is because the demo is locked on Easy Mode. If you want to increase the difficulty, there is a way to modify the files to bring that setting all the way up to Impossible.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-09-26 at 10:42 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

There is an hour long video of gameplay on youtube. I have yet to see much of base building, but they did mention that certain rooms get bonuses depending on what is near (research labs get bonuses for being near each other). As to your complain of how easy the game is, I understand that the nightmare difficulty with Ironman challenge is only to be played by the extreme foolhardy, and even in classic (i.e. hard) without ironman you can still find yourself with an unwinnable game if you are not careful (whether due to the aliens ramping up their tech faster than you your own, or through excessive attrition, they didn't explain).

There is, however, only one main base. Radar stations are substituted for geostationary satellites. The interceptor looks very old-school, with you sending it out, and it shooting and getting shot at by the UFO. After which you can go after the downed UFO if so desired.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-26 at 10:13 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, the consolitis, while not game-breakingly bad like it is in some games, is clearly in effect. The simple fact is that I didn't get to experiance enough GAMEPLAY (despite this being the demo) to even know how the finished product will play. How do the interception missions work? I have no idea, demo didn't cover it. What about letting me play with the base management somewhat, to see if that is still fun? nope. not covered at all.
    Uhh, what does that have to do with the consoles? All of that is in the console version.

Somebody's thoughts on the demo

EDIT: Ah, found the thead I was looking for.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-09-26 at 11:31 AM.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Uhh, what does that have to do with the consoles? All of that is in the console version.

Somebody's thoughts on the demo
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the demo. To be clear: if you are familiar with the original game, this demo is not for you. It is for those people that have not heard of the game, and it establishes: it's a turn based combat game, with different types of aliens that require different approaches, and in between missions you get to build a base and develop stuff. Oh, and don't get too attached to your soldiers. This is pretty much what XCOM is broadly about, and if the demo establish it all well and feel fun, it will accomplish its objective.

Of course, if you already expect an XCOM game to be all that, the demo will not tell you anything new, except how gameplay operates (i.e. what button does what, how to tell cover from half-cover, how destructible the world is and how aiming works, etc.). I'm not sure what those of you that didn't like the demo expected of it. 10 missions, of different types? See all the aliens? See all the development trees? None of those things belong in a demo. I am looking forward to seeing how well the controls operate, how comfortable I feel with managing the squad, and from all I hear, it delivers. But I certainly don't expect the demo to reveal anything about the game beyond the basics - otherwise, it is not really a demo.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I agree, all I wanted from the demo was to verify that my computer would run the program. It does, I shall buy. The Demo did give me that "holy crap my guy got killed feeling".

It's not a reskin of the old game...and frankly parts of the old game needed fixing (RNG to hit someone one square away with a pistol being one).

I felt tension as I crept around looking for aliens...what more do you want?
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    It's not a reskin of the old game...and frankly parts of the old game needed fixing (RNG to hit someone one square away with a pistol being one).
    What was the chance to hit for that shot? If it was 95% (and a lot of games are capped at 95), you could just have rolled a 1. If it happens three times in a row, then yes, RNG is the problem.

However, if the chance to hit 1 square away is 60%, then the issue is not the RNG, it is the chance-to-hit engine. I saw a one-on-one multiplayer demo in which one of the floaters managed to miss a target two squares away twice. I suspect that they are using a similar definition of round that D&D does: a few seconds of real time. Yes, it is difficutl to miss a target five feet away with a gun when you have a few seconds to aim and shoot, but in combat, you may just be running past him, shoot, then run for cover again, and in those circumstances you could miss entirely, or just scratch them, which in gameplay terms is a miss (when the enemy only has three HP, scratches can't count). That sense of urgency is lost in turn-based games, though, and there is little that can be done about it (short of the not easily implementable "assign orders, hit turn end, your soldiers follow orders at the same time the enemy does").

I do wonder if you get bonuses to hit when behind cover and/or when you haven't moved...

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly the same way it runs on Windows-native machines. Bootcamp is basically just a bootloader/manager tool- it's used to help manage the system when you have more than one OS choice. It's not OSX running a virtual Windows or trying to run all of Windows as a subsystem of OSX, both of which can involve significant performance hits; it's just loading straight into Windows.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Exactly the same way it runs on Windows-native machines. Bootcamp is basically just a bootloader/manager tool- it's used to help manage the system when you have more than one OS choice. It's not OSX running a virtual Windows or trying to run all of Windows as a subsystem of OSX, both of which can involve significant performance hits; it's just loading straight into Windows.
    And if it was a simple program, I wouldn't worry. But I'm not sure how well e.g. Mac graphics cards play with Windows-only code. They will be optimised to run OpenGL, not DirectX. Same with a half-dozen other subsystems that may be able to interpret windows instructions, but may lack the edge to make a high-performance game work smoothly.

On the other hand, I stopped paying attention to those things years ago. For all I know, those issues are irrelevant now. Thus why I'm not sure - and why I'm glad SamBurke can test the demo before shelling out $60 on the game.

GW

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

What would I expect from a demo like this? Simple, a short one mission demo with a bit of base building. Give me the default starting base, tell me I can detect aliens after building a couple of things, like a radar and research lab. I do that, the aliens are detected, I can launch an interceptor, shoot it down, and then engage the mission with alien positions and my start being randomly generated.

If the Tutorial is in the main game, which it might not, be, I expect to act like I did in Fallout 3, and make a save just after it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, I stopped paying attention to those things years ago. For all I know, those issues are irrelevant now. Thus why I'm not sure - and why I'm glad SamBurke can test the demo before shelling out $60 on the game.

GW
    I'm reasonably sure that kind of thing stopped being a significant issue back when they switched to using Intel chips to run the systems. The components of a modern Mac are the same as those in a modern Windows system; differences in how they operate are largely up to the operating system, and booting into Windows means you're going to be using the Windows version of the relevant APIs/drivers/etc. Wouldn't expect any problems.
    What was the chance to hit for that shot? If it was 95% (and a lot of games are capped at 95), you could just have rolled a 1. If it happens three times in a row, then yes, RNG is the problem.
    I'd blame the RNG more for X-Com's wildly variant damage spreads.. if you're shooting at a target one square away or even adjacent to you, you probably hit it regardless of what your hit chances were because of how X-Com processed shooting (your displayed hit percentage was not an absolute 'you hit/you missed' thing. It was your chance the shot would fly straight to the chosen target point; you still made a shot, and if that projectile intersected with anything you would hit whatever it ran into. If your target was very close by, there wouldn't be much time for the variance to cause a miss, and you'd probably still hit.. but because X-Com did both locational damage and had very wide damage spread, you could pump three shots into an enemy right next to you and only wing him in both arms and a leg without doing sufficient damage to put him down.)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    What would I expect from a demo like this? Simple, a short one mission demo with a bit of base building. Give me the default starting base, tell me I can detect aliens after building a couple of things, like a radar and research lab. I do that, the aliens are detected, I can launch an interceptor, shoot it down, and then engage the mission with alien positions and my start being randomly generated.

If the Tutorial is in the main game, which it might not, be, I expect to act like I did in Fallout 3, and make a save just after it.
    FUNNY STORY!
    Fallout 3 automatically created a save right when you walked up to the big old exit door and you could Magic Morph your character into any build.

You keep all your in-Vault choices, though (Like whether or not to kill the Overseer).
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

23. - Top - End - #203

Flumph

As well as it would on any PC with the same hardware.

Remember that bootcamp is just a dual boot scheme, it's not virtualisation, you're running Windows natively.

24. - Top - End - #204

Flumph

However, if the chance to hit 1 square away is 60%, then the issue is not the RNG, it is the chance-to-hit engine
    In old UFO the chance to hit was a little odd. It rolled to hit, but then did conefire around the centre of the target for where the shots actually landed, so a "hit" could actually be stopped by an obstacle, whereas a miss could randomly conefire onto the target.

If you were one square away though usually even your misses would hit.

And the chance to hit wasn't capped, if you were at 100% or better you would always hit (barring obstacles).

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Man, that guy. As expected, grognards already whine and cry over every single small change the new game introduces, yelling "dumbed down!" and "ruined forever!" constantly. Anything but exactly the same game as the original, except with updated graphics and more weapons and aliens, is a sacrilege to them.

Their tears nourish me.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Man, that guy. As expected, grognards already whine and cry over every single small change the new game introduces, yelling "dumbed down!" and "ruined forever!" constantly. Anything but exactly the same game as the original, especially with updated graphics and more weapons and aliens, is a sacrilege to them.
    Fixed

Their tears nourish me.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I never went back to the vault, so I never worried about those choices. (Though honestly, there was no one left alive when I was done anyway...)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Whelp, the last three OXM X-Com preview videos are up:

Part 4

Part 5

And Part 6

Enjoy
    Last edited by Rake21; 2012-09-27 at 01:22 PM.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    Whelp, the last three OXM X-Com preview videos are up:

Part 4

Part 5

And Part 6

Enjoy
    Thanks, I shall!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wouldn't even call this new version "Dumbed Down". It's certainly simplified, but in such a way as to focus on the core challenge of the game, in this case tactics. Its hard to make sound tactical decisions when you're fighting an obtuse interface and need an accounting degree to keep track of what your soldiers can do.
    this new interface means the player can focus on putting their soldiers where they need to go, not counting TU's to make sure you have enough to move across the field, crouch behind the fence, and fire with an auto-shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]