New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thanatos's Tharmturges Present: Tropical, Tipsy, and Typically Random Banter #127

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Pub quiz? Is that...like...barroom trivia?
    Um . . .
    What's not to get? It's a quiz. In a pub. Generally the quiz contains easy questions, popular knowledge and moderately to fiendishly difficult things. Often people joke about how they'd love Stephen Fry on their team. And the host is the person who runs the pub, so he's vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    I just had an induction day on Friday. But actual "school" started Today. And I get a FREE hour of nothing everyday at school.
    Current timetable:
    Monday - Lesson 1 (History), Lesson 2 (Free/Study period), Lesson 3 (Maths), Lesson 4 (Biology), Lesson 5 (English Language).
    Tuesday - Lesson 1 (History), Lesson 2 (English Language), Lesson 3 (Biology), Lesson 4 (PSHE), Lesson 5 (Free period).
    Wednesday - Lesson 1 (Maths), Lessons 2 3 and 4 (General Studies), Lesson 5 (Recreation)
    Thursday - Lesson 1 (Free period), Lesson 2 (Maths), Lesson 3 (Biology), Lesson 4 (English Language), Lesson 5 (History).
    Friday - Lesson 1 (Free period), Lesson 2 (History), Lesson 3 (Maths), Lesson 4 (Biology), Lesson 5 (English Language).

4 whole hours of time in school where I don't have to do anything (and I can chose to do my homework in those hours, leaving me with more free time after school)

I love 6th form.
    Firstly, General Studies is a crock. Most universities don't even accept it as a qualification.
    Secondly, VIth form sucks. I used to have forty five minutes to three free hours a day at college. And I could leave the premises any time I liked, even if it meant skipping a lecture.

@Maggy: I don't watch James Bond films.
    *steals teh Maggeh Box*
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-09-07 at 12:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Thanatos's Tharmturges Present: Tropical, Tipsy, and Typically Random Banter #127

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Um . . .
    What's not to get? It's a quiz. In a pub. Generally the quiz contains easy questions, popular knowledge and moderately to fiendishly difficult things. Often people joke about how they'd love Stephen Fry on their team.
    I understand! I just didn't know if "pub" meant a bar-like taverny thingy or some weird Brit-people abbreviation of something else! v.v

*hugs*
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

IŽl only have two books at most for college.

And probably just one book.

This is cool and scary at the same time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

4. - Top - End - #664

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    I understand! I just didn't know if "pub" meant a bar-like taverny thingy or some weird Brit-people abbreviation of something else! v.v

*hugs*
    Pub is short for public house.
    A public house is different from an inn in that it is legal to sell alcohol to the public as well as food and a place for recreation and general gathering.
    Some pubs are also inns in that you can stay upstairs, but not all inns are pubs.
    So it is a weird Brit - people abbreviation of something, but it's just a "bar - like tavernny thingy" too.
    *huggle the God of Huggles*
    It's been ages since I had a Cobra Hug.

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    IŽl only have two books at most for college.

And probably just one book.

This is cool and scary at the same time.
    That's just terrifying. I had four books for one subject. Granted, you'll have a very light bag, but that's just worrying.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-09-07 at 01:02 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in my final year of high school (I don't know what it'd be for you people who live in somewhere that isn't here, and I can't be buggered to find out. Suffice to say that after this, I'm either getting a job or going to Uni. And I'd prefer the job, thankyouverymuch.) and I have four subject and two books... and one seperate book filled with information, called "Appendices", though "semi-related ideas of everyone who has ever lived" might be more appropriate. Then there's the stuff I need for English... ergh... We're currently doing poetry.

Let me make this clear...

I did not sign up for basic English to learn about the meaning behind poetry!

It seems to have very little with English, and more to do with my schools love of "meaning" behind what they teach, which means to pass my Exam I'll probably just need to pretend I saw a lot of cruddy meaning in their awful texts. (One book I had to read had at least five suicide attempts, with at least two of them succesful. And it's a true story.)

I just wanna learn what words mean, how to spell them, how to use them, and why saying "burgers hair sword yanking!" is incorrect use of the English Language.

But, now that I've vented over my well-known hatred of learning things I don't want to know, how's everyone else doing? Especially you. Yeah, you. You know who you are.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Firstly, General Studies is a crock. Most universities don't even accept it as a qualification.
    Secondly, VIth form sucks. I used to have forty five minutes to three free hours a day at college. And I could leave the premises any time I liked, even if it meant skipping a lecture.
    Well, I'm just appreciating what I have (mainly because I can leave the site and the other years can't).
    And I don't know what College is like so I can't make a comparison.
    And I know about General Studies, but, it's just something that's there and that I'll have to do, so for me, it's not worth fussing about.

I actually like 6th form.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

That's just terrifying. I had four books for one subject. Granted, you'll have a very light bag, but that's just worrying.
    I suppose itŽs what I get for studying Art & Design. >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

8. - Top - End - #668

So I just did Biology homework about DNA whilst listening to That Spells DNA by JoCo. I shan't be telling my teacher that I know the names of the bases because of a song.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

...I listen to the Elements Song a lot just to try and memorise the things.

Makes me wish science was still back thousands of years ago or whatever. Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Heart Aether = elements. So much easier to remember. And could possibly make an easier song to sing along to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    So I just did Biology homework about DNA whilst listening to That Spells DNA by JoCo. I shan't be telling my teacher that I know the names of the bases because of a song.
    Ooh, let's see if I remember these. Adenine, Thiamine, Cytosine, Guanine? With AT and CG pairing up? And in RNA, Uracil replaces...Thiamine? It could be Adenine, but I don't think so.

I took biology a year early, which means I don't have it this year. I need to make sure I don't forget everything for next year, when I'll have it again.

Edit:

...I listen to the Elements Song a lot just to try and memorise the things.

Makes me wish science was still back thousands of years ago or whatever. Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Heart Aether = elements. So much easier to remember. And could possibly make an easier song to sing along to.
    You could still memorize those, you'd just be wrong. In fact, you'd be just as wrong as if it had happened in the past.
    Last edited by Alteran; 2009-09-07 at 01:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm aiming for evolutionary biology. I have no training in genetics. I'm gonna learn everything in honors Bio this year. Wish me luck.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm trying to convince myself that this was immoral, and yet it just seemed so RIGHT....
    I see that college has already begun to corrupt you. Today, cacao powder - tomorrow, 80's dance parties!
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

13. - Top - End - #673

I'm in my final year of high school (I don't know what it'd be for you people who live in somewhere that isn't here, and I can't be buggered to find out. Suffice to say that after this, I'm either getting a job or going to Uni. And I'd prefer the job, thankyouverymuch.)
    That means you're eighteenish. US High School = Oz High School.
    Final year of High School = Last year of UK college.
    In both cases the next step is university. Or US college.

Then there's the stuff I need for English... ergh... We're currently doing poetry.

Let me make this clear...

I did not sign up for basic English to learn about the meaning behind poetry!

It seems to have very little with English, and more to do with my schools love of "meaning" behind what they teach, which means to pass my Exam I'll probably just need to pretend I saw a lot of cruddy meaning in their awful texts. (One book I had to read had at least five suicide attempts, with at least two of them succesful. And it's a true story.)

I just wanna learn what words mean, how to spell them, how to use them, and why saying "burgers hair sword yanking!" is incorrect use of the English Language.

But, now that I've vented over my well-known hatred of learning things I don't want to know, how's everyone else doing? Especially you. Yeah, you. You know who you are.
    Ah. But. You. I, what? No. Uh. *haemorrhage of the brain*
    Poetry is pure(ish) English.
    Poetry is one of the oldest forms of writing and story telling in the world. If you don't understand poetry you can't properly understand English or any other language.
    Language in its purest form is poetry:
    "We dance in a ring and suppose
    The Secret sits in the middle and knows"
    That is The Secret by Robert Browning. Everything in it has to do with spelling, placement in the sentence, structure, syntax. Everything.
    Why did the poet use "suppose" and "knows"? Was it the sound? Is it the subtle difference between their definitions? Is it that they're part of a lexical set of knowledge?
    Does this mean the Secret is knowledge? Who is "we"? Why use the present tense inclusive plural? Why is "Secret" capitalised? Does that anthropomorphise it or tell us it's a real person? Why are "We" moving around the edges? What is so imprtant about the "Secret" that makes it the very centre of all?
    ALL English is meaning.
    Everything is meaning.
    Why does red mean danger?
    Why is swearing so taboo?
    It's been proven that analysing poetry enables a better grasp on language as a whole, not to mention in some aspects, culture itself. Why is the Iliad so universal that it's been around almost three thousand years? Why Gilgamesh? Why Beowulf? Poetry, whether we like it or no, is endemic of a society, of a culture and of a history.
    All schools study poetry. All people know poetry. Song is poetry come again to some of its oldest roots: Bardic songs. Oral poetry with a set rhythm and pieces to enable better recollection of the song or poem.
    I can't recall precisely, but if the novel is a glass or orange squash, a poem is orange juice concentrate. That was said by someone.

If you wanted to learn those basics you mention: spelling, definition, and application you shouldn't have taken it at a more developed 'basic' level. The title of the course Basic English shows in a sense just how important poetry is. Nursery rhymes; everyone knows them. They never leave you and they're poetry containing a story. Why does it stick? What's with the language that makes it impossible to forget? Reading into a story is hard not to do. Analysing poetry is using your instincts, and sharpening them to ridiculous levels as you'll see below.
    Leaving it at primary in this case would be best. What you want, rather than an education and learning how to analyse anything is a dictionary and a grammar book.

why saying "burgers hair sword yanking!" is incorrect use of the English Language.
    This is the thing I think I have most problems with. Nothing is ever incorrect use of the English language (granted, in other languages with a strictly inflected case system (i.e. German or other Eastern European or Asian languages) or with ideograms reflecting a specific thought and idea (Japanese leaps to mind) there will be 'impossible' or unorthodox uses of language). It is 'non - standard' or 'unorthodox'.

"burgers hair sword yanking" can mean anything. "Sword yanking" - swords are almost inextricably linked with males, the masculine and inevitably the phallus. "burgers" are meat. 'Meat' is also a slang term for the penis itself (coming from the phrase 'meat 'n' two veg') not including the scrotum and other . . . bits. So "hair" could be pubic hair. Hence this 'random' collection of words can be seen as an extremely obtuse metaphor or synecdoche for masturbation.
    Alternatively: "burgers" - this is the plural form of a concrete noun. It is still meat.
    However, "hair" is in the singular with no use of a pronoun to indicate whether the "burgers" own it, or are doing something to it. "sword" is also singular, possibly indicating perhaps an unusual neologism of a "hair sword".
    So is the "sword yanking" itself out of the burgers? In that case, who is holding the sword, why did they attack the burgers? Are they maybe some kind of activist vegans/vegetarians? What is the story behind how the sword is made of "hair"? Is it only the hilt bound in hair? This seems likely, but if the entirety of the sword is made of hair, why?
    Nothing has no meaning.

You don't object to studying novels, short stories or books do you? I bet you've read and loved at least one of the following: LoTR, Harry Potter or Discworld. How do you know what's happening without the subtle hints and meanings you read into the text?
    Poetry is an extremely condensed form of a book. By having a form and in some case a limit to lines, syllabes per line and other limits it makes the author apply with more finesse the intricacies of a complex language where one word can mean one hundred things depending on its placement in a sentence and every other word in the sentence, the sentences surrounding it and every other word in the entire thing.

And so ends my impassioned plea on the worth of studying poetry. P.S. I don't even like poetry very much.

DISCLAIMER: I may not have gotten The Secret entirely right. It could be 'dance in a circle and suppose'.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-09-07 at 02:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

*Awesome stuff*

15. - Top - End - #675
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yum, soft drinks. I could get on with Cherry Coke attached to one arm via IV and Irn Bru on the other one.
    Round Four: Eat Brains.
    SPLAT!
    Cheers for the avvy, Rincewind

16. - Top - End - #676
    Bugbear in the Playground

My school day means PARTAY!

ahem.

Monday!
    8.15-9.45 French
    10.00-11.00 Chemistry
    11.15-12.15 English (well, actually it's critical reading and logic in English, but that's basically still English)
    12.45-13.15 Maths (The teacher is HORRIBLE. And it's the 11th grade! And I want to do the frickin exam!)
    14.30-15.30 German (The teacher is the most pedantic person EVER! Ordnung etc)

Tuesday!
    9.45-11.00 History (Och nein, the teacher is called Sandman because his tone and lessons are so boring you can fall asleep in 10 minutes)
    11.15-12.15 Chemistry
    60 minutes break! I mean, what the friction!
    13.15-14.15 German
    14.30-15.30(45) Maths

Wednesday!
    8.30-9.30 English
    10.00-11.30 Citizenship or Society teaching or something (with the same teacher as History)
    11.45-12.45 Virtues (ethics and morality in one bunch; totally pointless unless you're borderline psychopath)
    13.15-14.45 British Literature (AWESOME)
    15.00-16.00 Media

Thursday!
    8.15-9.45 French
    10.00-11.00 Chemistry
    11.45-13.00 Geography
    13.15-14.45 Estonian literature

Friday!
    8.15-9.45 Estonian literature
    10.00-11.30 Maths
    11.45-13.15 Physical education
    13.45-15.15 French conversation

So, the plan has it's "Yay!"'s and "Nay!"'s, with the nays being math teacher, German teacher and PE being in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY. I swear I would have fallen asleep if we had desks in the French conversation class.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Today is the first day of my new job as a security guard. I am nervous as all hell.

Normal for a first day, really. Bonus points because I don't know much of what to expect.

Wish me luck?
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    My defence wasn't awesome, but I like that gif.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Argh, my cold/flue is getting worse. I have a horrible sore throat, my eyes itch and are very watery and my nose isn't much better. >_<

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Today is the first day of my new job as a security guard. I am nervous as all hell.

Normal for a first day, really. Bonus points because I don't know much of what to expect.

Wish me luck?
    Luck!

In other news, I also have school tomorrow. But its only a partial day (10:00 - 1:00 or 2:00), so it'll be totally survivable. Hopefully none of my teachers this year are the types to spend a 35 minute class assigning homework due for Thursday...

Ugh. Where has all that long long beautiful summer gone to?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    Has a cold/the flu/a runny nose
    Try Advil Cold & Sinus! It works really well. I get this weird chain reaction thing where I have an allergic reaction, followed by an asthma attack, followed by hay fever followed by a cold. You could say I am a cold-med connoisseur.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-09-07 at 03:59 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

My defence wasn't awesome, but I like that gif.
    If anyone ever does anything reasonably epic, only Charles Foster Kane can live up to it.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post

Try Advil Cold & Sinus! It works really well. I get this weird chain reaction thing where I have an allergic reaction, followed by an asthma attack, followed by hay fever followed by a cold. You could say I am a cold-med connoisseur.
    I've never heard of it.

Ew, my eyes are all puffy.

23. - Top - End - #683

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    If anyone ever does anything reasonably epic, only Charles Foster Kane can live up to it.
    All I know about this person is that he is presumably the eponymous Kane of Citizen Kane.

@Namless: Oh noes! You has swine flu!

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I've never heard of it.

Ew, my eyes are all puffy.
    Advil Cold & Sinus

That's the stuff. Are your eyes puffy and kinda bloodshot and really itchy? That's what I get when I have an allergic reaction to dust or smoke.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

All I know about this person is that he is presumably the eponymous Kane of Citizen Kane.
    I would recommend you see Citizen Kane at first possible viewing. It's one of the few 'classics' that I believe is worth its fame.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Advil Cold & Sinus

That's the stuff. Are your eyes puffy and kinda bloodshot and really itchy? That's what I get when I have an allergic reaction to dust or smoke.
    Okay thanks. :3

27. - Top - End - #687

@Namless: Oh noes! You has swine flu!
    What? People are panicking about that again?
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Indeed, Citizen Kane is fantastic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    What? People are panicking about that again?
    Nah, but my mumr recently insisted that my stinkingly horrible cold was swine flu. So I must continue the joke!

And am I the only person who keeps wanting to write 'flu' as flue?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

And am I the only person who keeps wanting to write 'flu' as flue?
    I agree, "Flu" Seems... Wrong somehow... e_e