New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [3.5] Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Two questions about this awesome prestige class:

1. Will Spell Focus: Abjuration increase the DC of my Veils?

2. Under the "Area" warding, it says that moving out of the ward is safe, but entering it isn't. Does that mean that I can cast or shoot things out of the Veil and people can't cast/shoot me back?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Quote Originally Posted by had3l View Post
    Two questions about this awesome prestige class:

1. Will Spell Focus: Abjuration increase the DC of my Veils?
    Looking at the text, no, but since it is a spell-like ability, Ability Focus (Warding) will increase the DC by 2. Ask your DM if Warding does count as a spell, but it doesn't seem to.

2. Under the "Area" warding, it says that moving out of the ward is safe, but entering it isn't. Does that mean that I can cast or shoot things out of the Veil and people can't cast/shoot me back?
    As far as I can tell, yes. It's a one way ward. The Initiate isn't affected by it. (This is why people love this prestige class so much.)
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2010-09-25 at 09:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The "area" warding has your allies in mind. You can have other creatures in the area with you and you can use the ward to protect them, but not to lock them in with you. Also, you can sue the warding to "close in" with an ally, buff im for a while and then let them o out into the fight.

EDIT: it later says that the warding provides concealment for you but doesn't affect sight from within, so your line of sight and line of effect should be perfectly safe. Other people CAN cast/shoot at you; you merely have a miss chance.
    Last edited by Rad; 2010-09-25 at 09:22 AM.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Looking at the text, no, but since it is a spell-like ability, Ability Focus (Warding) will increase the DC by 2. Ask your DM if Warding does count as a spell, but it doesn't seem to.

As far as I can tell, yes. It's a one way ward. The Initiate isn't affected by it. (This is why people love this prestige class so much.)
    It does say it works like prismatic wall though doesn't it? And reading the definition of a spell like ability, it says it should work just like a spell does, or am I mistaken?

It just feels like a waste to require 2 spell focuses in abjuration if it doesn't affect the main ability of the character... Do you think it would be bending the rules too much to ask my dm to make the spell focus work on the ability seeing that it supposedly should work just like a prismatic wall?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    The "area" warding has your allies in mind. You can have other creatures in the area with you and you can use the ward to protect them, but not to lock them in with you. Also, you can sue the warding to "close in" with an ally, buff im for a while and then let them o out into the fight.

EDIT: it later says that the warding provides concealment for you but doesn't affect sight from within, so your line of sight and line of effect should be perfectly safe. Other people CAN cast/shoot at you; you merely have a miss chance.
    Sure, they can shoot at me, but what good is it if their arrow or spell gets disintegrated?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

It just feels like a waste to require 2 spell focuses in abjuration if it doesn't affect the main ability of the character... Do you think it would be bending the rules too much to ask my dm to make the spell focus work on the ability seeing that it supposedly should work just like a prismatic wall?
    The IoTSV is already a really powerful, full casting PrC. Your main ability is your spellcasting, which those Spell Focii affect, and the Ward's DC is already 18+Stat Bonus. One more feat can't hurt. And it is a +2 instead of a +1.

As a DM, I'd say "Take Ability Focus".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depends which veil you are talking about. If its the one that blocks "all spells" then no, you can't cast through it. "All" is pretty concrete. Add that to the part where is says they are functionally the same as the Prismatic Sphere spell effects, which is very clear that you can't cast through it.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"