New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Wait a tick. You can get a harpoon gun in Mass Effect? How and when? Unless it involves spoilers then don't tell me.
    Multiplayer with the Rebellion(?) expansion, or sometime in the next month as a side package to the Leviathan DLC in a weapons pack which also includes the geth plasma SMG, and a few other cool goodies.

It's a low-powered scope sniper rifle that charges up. It shoots a half-meter spear that causes bleed damage, ignores armor DR, ignores the shield gate, ignores enemy physical barriers (such as a guardian's shields and possibly wafer thin cover), and unlike every other sniper gun does NOT lose damage if you don't scope in, so it can be fired from the hip. The projectile arcs, so headshots are harder to score but deal triple damage if you pull it off. It's also approximately equal to a widow in power at about half the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    My guess was Ponyxalted Faust, but Imperial makes sense too.
    You know, I never did get to play exalted. And now my game roster is at capacity! Heck, I even accidentally put Ophiokasha on hiatus. I'll have to fix that one way or another. Sorry, Diego/Pokonic/Grif/Draconi.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Nothing May Be EXALTED But Her Upon The Golden Throne!
    You know, funny thing about that seal: You would think that Philomena could be a nice replacement for the Imperial Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

You know, I never did get to play exalted. And now my game roster is at capacity! Heck, I even accidentally put Ophiokasha on hiatus. I'll have to fix that one way or another. Sorry, Diego/Pokonic/Grif/Draconi.
    "Hissss"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #333
    Colossus in the Playground

Will Anderson dropping hints about Weird Al and MLP like a baws.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    A teaser for my next big fanfic, entitled II (click for description)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Opalescence?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Thanqol used to enjoy making ponies cry with his fics. Does it still count if he's only making OC's cry using his own OC's?
    Used to? Sad ponies in the snow all the way across the sky.

Spoiler
    Show

I think this particular OC of mine might be a little bit of a drama queen. But then, she is a vampire unicorn princess.
    "Your chains chafe, my face is cold, and this is the worst kidnapping ever."

A rare and precious thing, so I am told.

Also, Hoity Toity looks amazing, or at least very good. Today is a good day.
    Why thank you!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

O mr Lich.....

EQD has Ask Spike and Rarity blog featured on front page atm

sounds like something you may enjoy if you arent already following it

no idea on quaility level as i cannot view tumblr's from here at work
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-08-13 at 10:46 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably not much darker than LotR or Harry Potter. It's got war with everything that means (ponies getting hurt and such, big meaningful struggles with real consequences), but aside from that it's just a regular heroic romantic tale. Certainly not grimdark or Cupcakes or anything.

I've always found it curious that people who probably have no problem with LotR or Harry Potter claim to not like similar stories just because it involves ponies. Is it because "Dark" makes it sound worse than it probably is? Would "Suspense" or something else work better as a tag?

Or is it really because stories about ponies can't have anyone getting hurt or even dying? Are we limited to fights where the enemies are only stunned or knocked out? I mean, that's fine for the show, but I like to think you can write a good story about ponies with a little more edge, maturity and darkness, certainly without it becoming Cupcakes.
    Frankly, I've always felt they should have tags that indicate different levels of "Dark", especially since at the moment the "Dark" tag supposedly covers everything from Batman and Harry Potter through Cupcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I think this is it, at least for me. Dark tends to connote subjects like death and violence, and such. Anything that involves death of ponies (especially the mane 6) is stuff I stay the hell away from. I understand that I am probably thinking more of grimdark, but where is the distiction between that and regular dark? Where's the line?

As I mentioned before around here, I like MLP because it makes me happy, which I why I steer clear of this stuff. That's not to say I haven't liked some of it (I read the Pinkamena tumblr despite the nausious feelings it caused) but these are more exceptions than rules.
    I think a good start to differentiating between Dark and Dark-ish would be whether or not the story ultimately has a happy ending.
    To me that's the difference between "suspenseful and engaging” and downright depressing.

Alright, one more pony pic before bed:
    Spoiler
    Show

G'night all.
    It needs to be said:
    Fausticorn is best pony.
    Because without her, we would have no ponies.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey folks, I was wondering...

Do any of you still have that mini-story about Snapshot (I think that was his name)? That one about how he got his Cutie Mark. I don't know why, but I have the intense urge to read that again. :/
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

just read a fic where the author mentioned a group known as the Magisters

described as the Unicorn equivalent of the Wonderbolts

...I cant believe I haven't seen that idea done before
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Hey folks, I was wondering...

Do any of you still have that mini-story about Snapshot (I think that was his name)? That one about how he got his Cutie Mark. I don't know why, but I have the intense urge to read that again. :/
    *fires desk*
    you have no time to be reading. I've gone far too long without clockwork. back to work!
    *cracks whip*

also, welcome back
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #339

The story that started life as a dare from Lixie to turn one of my own wise-ass comments about retcons into an actual story is now up on Fimfiction. Still have no idea where I'm going with it, but I'm challenging myself to push ahead with it anyway.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-08-14 at 12:30 AM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    *fires desk*
    you have no time to be reading. I've gone far too long without clockwork. back to work!
    *cracks whip*

also, welcome back
    *Desk collides with face.*

Ouch. Don't worry Thubby. I've almost got Ch. 23 done, but school is already starting to hamper my progress. However, I do have 3 other fic ideas residing both in my head and phone, so you'll have plenty of storis from me to eat.

Also, it's good to be back.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

11. - Top - End - #341

I just proved Rule 34P true again: If it exists, there is pony of it. No exceptions.

Enjoy.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #342
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    just read a fic where the author mentioned a group known as the Magisters

described as the Unicorn equivalent of the Wonderbolts

...I cant believe I haven't seen that idea done before
    It has been done before. Just not well. I've heard magisters before (possibly in reference to this fic), inquisitors, archmages, and one that was a fraternity of Celestia's Students. But... Why?

The wonderbolts are an air show, military group and point of national pride. They are also a parallel to real world groups. A bevy of hyper competent unicorns would do what? Intelligence? SWAT team tactics? Okay, sure, but do they do anything that would make canonical sense?

13. - Top - End - #343

It has been done before. Just not well. I've heard magisters before (possibly in reference to this fic), inquisitors, archmages, and one that was a fraternity of Celestia's Students. But... Why?

The wonderbolts are an air show, military group and point of national pride. They are also a parallel to real world groups. A bevy of hyper competent unicorns would do what? Intelligence? SWAT team tactics? Okay, sure, but do they do anything that would make canonical sense?
    There the public face of the royal guard. They go around, in there nice robes and shiny armor, and put on shows of magical display. Grand explosions, false monsters, and real magical skill all on display, with the merch pulling in a nice amount of dough. As for tactic's, Twilight is the only pony we have seen that teliports like it's going out of style. No, much like the Wonderbolts, there flashy, but instead of cute contrails they fling out genuine grade-a magic missiles and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They do dazzling light shows to practice acting as artillery units. Sort of like fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, ponythread! They officially have me on a Fiber Optics connection right now, so... Continue posting so fast that I'll never catch up!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I just proved Rule 34P true again: If it exists, there is pony of it. No exceptions.

Enjoy.
    Not true, there's a disconcerting lack of Xenoblade ponies. Someone really needs to draw a Pony Face.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Enjoy.
    Ponies the Anthology II has been out for a month, what field you been grazing?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Something like this has recently been on my mind. I don't seem to have a problem separating these things. I mean, I read Cupcakes and I have no problem not thinking of that every time I see Pinkie eating a cupcake. I can if I want to, and sometimes I might remember it briefly but then just shrug it off. I can watch the show for what it is even if I've just read a story where ponies were gutting each other.
    Separation isn't the issue for me. I'm good at compartimentalising. For me, it's simply not liking pony+dark. There's no fun in the experience of the two things overlapping. I think what really gets me is the feeling of out-of-characterness that inevitably accompanies such stories. Happy, pony-natured ponies cannot exist in a dark story and remain true to that nature. Nor can the universe that the ponies themselves live in remain in-character either. Funny can make up for it though, regardless of whether the funny is intentional or not.

Just my own two bits on the subject, natch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    The story that started life as a dare from Lixie to turn one of my own wise-ass comments about retcons into an actual story is now up on Fimfiction. Still have no idea where I'm going with it, but I'm challenging myself to push ahead with it anyway.
    Wait a... I'm sure I read a couple more chapters of that fic! Where are they?

oh god.

It's spilling out to ponythread! Run for your canons!
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-08-14 at 04:18 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    There the public face of the royal guard. They go around, in there nice robes and shiny armor, and put on shows of magical display. Grand explosions, false monsters, and real magical skill all on display, with the merch pulling in a nice amount of dough. As for tactic's, Twilight is the only pony we have seen that teliports like it's going out of style. No, much like the Wonderbolts, there flashy, but instead of cute contrails they fling out genuine grade-a magic missiles and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    They do dazzling light shows to practice acting as artillery units. Sort of like fireworks.
    Why would Equestria need artillery or magic missiles? Unless the grad corps of magisters work as special effects artists, and it really is just an ol' boys club fraternity. It just too weird for me. Especially the "special unit" part. Suddenly you have the most powerful force in Equestria not being being loyal or obedient, simply as a consequence of existing.

No, if Equestria did have something like this, they wouldn't operate like a SPECTRE, as Boffenspark and Clockwork seem to do. They would be just another group of competent unicorns. In which case we see them all the time, in Celwstia's throne room. The royal honor guard.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Why would Equestria need artillery or magic missiles? Unless the grad corps of magisters work as special effects artists, and it really is just an ol' boys club fraternity. It just too weird for me. Especially the "special unit" part. Suddenly you have the most powerful force in Equestria not being being loyal or obedient, simply as a consequence of existing.

No, if Equestria did have something like this, they wouldn't operate like a SPECTRE, as Boffenspark and Clockwork seem to do. They would be just another group of competent unicorns. In which case we see them all the time, in Celwstia's throne room. The royal honor guard.
    The fact that Elements of Harmony appear to BE pretty much Equestria's elite unit, and the the royal guard have been totally ineffective in every combat situation (with the Wonderbolts, who appear also to actually serve in a paramilitary capacity not far behind) would seem to indicate that no such group would exist. And that even if they did, they would be no more cop than either of the aforementioned; as so far no-pony, apart from the Elements and Shining Armor/Cadance has even made a contribution to dealing with the any of the threats seen in the series, major or minor.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    The fact that Elements of Harmony appear to BE pretty much Equestria's elite unit, and the the royal guard have been totally ineffective in every combat situation (with the Wonderbolts, who appear also to actually serve in a paramilitary capacity not far behind) would seem to indicate that no such group would exist. And that even if they did, they would be no more cop than either of the aforementioned; as so far no-pony, apart from the Elements and Shining Armor/Cadance has even made a contribution to dealing with the any of the threats seen in the series, major or minor.
    Quite. *bubblepipe*

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Alright then. I present to you...

The single most... innuendo-filled magical summon EVER.

I was raised on Harley Davidson though, so I've got a thing or motorcycles. Mileage an variance and all.
    Well that's... just plain silly really.

Me gusta! I think I seem some references for Charlotte's wardrobe.
    Who?

It can be a fine line.

I won't try to convince you to read my story if it's not your kind of story. I just want to make sure as many as possible of those who would enjoy this story get the chance to read it, in spite of any tag-aversions.
    I understand that, so sorry if it sounded like I was dismissing you or something. I'll think about reading it. I still have a large fic backlog to go through.

I think it's more a matter of association. I can barely listen to music from
    About ten years ago because of a slew of bad mental connections. I think they just don't want to have Tragedy = Teilight Sparkle in their brains ANYWHERE.
    Yeah, I've had moments like these. I do tend to get over them after a while though.

Mostly though, SlyGuy seems to have said it best. I just don't really like mixing dark and ponies.

In the end it's up to any one person hat they're willing to do. I just get irked when old judge a thing they haven't tried. Personal peeve. So best compromise is we can have others review it when you're done, and let him know if it's too dark or not.
    Seems like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Nothing May Be EXALTED But Her Upon The Golden Throne!
    Spoiler
    Show

Any excuse to post that.

Hey, don't apologise to me, I did the same thing.

Enjoy.
    Then find me Captain Harlock Rule 34P please. I tried finding some to see if I could prove the rule to a friend. I couldn't, though I was luckily able to find Ragnarok Online pony, so it worked out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yup. Her name is Eden Aspect. She used to be known long ago by a different name, starting with D
    Deden Aspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Also, time to keep the Lich happy!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Um... Huh. Guess that means Spike is a "D&D" type dragon.
    (i.e. can mate with anything and produce offspring)

Steampunk pony image dump time! (all from this gallery)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oooh, I love "Tesla Gun" designs. Looks like that parasprite is cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    *Hits ground at Mach 7.*
    Resulting crater.
    Hey guys. What'd I miss?
    Well, certainly not the ground.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-08-14 at 06:38 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Separation isn't the issue for me. I'm good at compartimentalising. For me, it's simply not liking pony+dark. There's no fun in the experience of the two things overlapping. I think what really gets me is the feeling of out-of-characterness that inevitably accompanies such stories. Happy, pony-natured ponies cannot exist in a dark story and remain true to that nature. Nor can the universe that the ponies themselves live in remain in-character either. Funny can make up for it though, regardless of whether the funny is intentional or not.

Just my own two bits on the subject, natch.
    I can respect that you prefer the sweet and innocent stories, but I must admit I don't understand or agree that it's OOC.

Serious, adult ponies who act and think and feel in complex, mature and realistic ways do make sense and aren't, in my opinion, out of character at all. Nor are dark, gritty situations somehow incompatible with the setting.

There are big, scary monsters everywhere. There are evil ponies and evil monsters and evil deeds. There's love and conflict and war and complex emotions. All of this is canon, it's part of the setting and part of the ponies and their lives, it's just that the show has to step carefully around certain details, but that doesn't mean your story has to do the same. Like, they can't actually show a pony getting seriously hurt, or go into detail about Pinkie's mental problems, but it is clear that it's there, it's real, it happens, and your story can deal with it if it is meant for adult readers. It is not in conflict with the setting, it is not "out of character" for the world or for the ponies.

It's just looking at the same world and same characters through different glasses. If you prefer to keep the rosy glasses on, that's fine and good and there are many stories where that works great, but there's nothing wrong or OOC about viewing the same world through different shades and for some stories anything else would be OOC and odd and unbelievable.

I understand that, so sorry if it sounded like I was dismissing you or something. I'll think about reading it. I still have a large fic backlog to go through.
    My intention is that the first chapter will give you a good idea about how dark the story is. Not that it'll necessarily be the darkest chapter, but if you like the first chapter then there shouldn't be any nasty surprises later on.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

speaking of pinkie's issues, has anyone read a good fic exploring them? i have a taste for tragedy
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-14 at 07:16 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

26. - Top - End - #356

GnomeWizardGuy

I can respect that you prefer the sweet and innocent stories, but I must admit I don't understand or agree that it's OOC.

Serious, adult ponies who act and think and feel in complex, mature and realistic ways do make sense and aren't, in my opinion, out of character at all. Nor are dark, gritty situations somehow incompatible with the setting.
    I'll have to agree with Deadly here; simply being dark does not mean being out of character. Even ones featuring the main cast can portray them very much in-character, without needing to rely on fandom personality interpretations. Cupcakes / Rainbow Factory isn't a good example of this, but not all dark fics are like those.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Who?
    His character in our ongoing Changeling game, found here, if you're interested in lurking.

Also the reason I've been posting less in ponythread recently. My giantitp time has been all PBP thread posts, which take up my ponythread catchup time. So right now I'm just skipping some pages.

I would make one distinction, which is that it's kind of built into the setting that friendship and kindness work really well as a practical solution to obtaining power. So I think it can be weird to have ponies get into conflicts and suffer serious injuries or have bad endings even if they're all working together with their friends. Not that it could never happen, but it would need some serious explanation about what they were dealing with to justify overcoming the whole friendship magic thing.

Other than that, I agree, the ponies clearly understand conflict and have a military history that imply that all sorts of mature things went on in the canon.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I would make one distinction, which is that it's kind of built into the setting that friendship and kindness work really well as a practical solution to obtaining power. So I think it can be weird to have ponies get into conflicts and suffer serious injuries or have bad endings even if they're all working together with their friends. Not that it could never happen, but it would need some serious explanation about what they were dealing with to justify overcoming the whole friendship magic thing.

Other than that, I agree, the ponies clearly understand conflict and have a military history that imply that all sorts of mature things went on in the canon.
    Dealing with the seemingly unbeatable power of the Magic of Friendship is of course an issue, and one I've certainly considered for this story. But not every conflict requires the Elements, or there may be reasons why friends are separated, or the Elements aren't working.

Ultimately it's a matter of the writer doing a good job or not. You can write a grimdark in which the characters are in some serious deep s***, where friendship is broken and the Elements scattered, where characters get hurt or even die, and still be believable and IC. It no doubt will involve friendship, but that doesn't exclude conflict, in fact conflict can make friendship that much more meaningful. If friendship always comes without effort, is it really interesting?

Take LotR, I'd say there's a lot of powerful friendship there. Frodo would never have made it without Sam by his side, and their friendship is undeniably much more deep and powerful at the end than when they set out. Same with the rest of the Fellowship. The conflict and struggle brought them closer together and gave them the power to overcome impossible odds. Don't tell me that doesn't work in the MLP universe

29. - Top - End - #359

Then find me Captain Harlock Rule 34P please. I tried finding some to see if I could prove the rule to a friend. I couldn't, though I was luckily able to find Ragnarok Online pony, so it worked out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You ask, I deliver.

I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Colossus in the Playground

Princess Celestia is best princess. I can't believe I haven't drawn her before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-14 at 10:31 AM.