New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Warm, Hearty, Zoop

WARM, HEARTY, ZOOP

A partial replacement – or partner, if you prefer – for those froglike outsiders that weren’t in the SRD.

CHICKEN ZOOP
    Fine Ooze (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Swarm)
    HD 3d10-3 (13 hp)
    Speed 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 5 ft.
    Init: +0
    AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
    BAB +2, Grp --
    Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Full-Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Space 10 ft ,Reach --
    Special Attacks Cure disease, distraction, greet the sunrise
    Special Qualities Blindsight 60 ft., fear vulnerability, immune to weapon damage, ooze traits, swarm traits
    Saves Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +1
    Abilities Str 1, Dex 10, Con 8, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills Spot +10
    Feats
    Environment Chaotic Outer Planes
    Organization Solitary or coop (2-100)
    Challenge Rating 4
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always chaotic neutral
    Advancement
    Level Adjustment

Combat
    Cure Disease (Su): Any living creature that begins its turn with a chicken zoop swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save or be subject to a cure disease effect as the spell. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a chicken zoop swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Greet the Sunrise (Su): A chicken zoop swarm reacts to any sudden increase in lighting (such as the result of a light spell) by making a very loud noise. Each time this occurs, any living creature in the swarm's space must succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save or be deafened for one round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Fear Vulnerability (Su): Fear effects bypass the chicken zoop swarm’s various immunities. Specifically, neither the immunity to mind-affecting effects due to being a mindless ooze nor the immunity to damage from being a fine swarm protect chicken zoop from fear effects.

Skills: Chicken zoop have a +10 racial bonus on Spot checks.

PEA ZOOP
    HD 2d10-2 (9 hp)
    Speed 100 ft. (20 squares), fly 10 ft., swim 10 ft.
    BAB +1, Grp --
    Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Full-Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Space 10 ft ,Reach --
    Special Attacks Distraction, solid fog
    Special Qualities Blindsight 60 ft., immune to weapon damage, indistinguishable, ooze traits, swarm traits
    Saves Fort -1, Ref 0, Will +0
    Skills Hide +0*
    Feats
    Organization Solitary or bank (4-444)
    Challenge Rating 4
    Treasure None
    Advancement
    Level Adjustment

Combat
    Distraction (Ex) : Any living creature that begins its turn with a pea zoop swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Indistinguishable (Ex): Pea zoop swarms are very similar to one another. Any attempt to tell the difference between one pea zoop swarm and another is at a -10 penalty.
    Solid Fog (Ex) : The presence of pea zoop swarm in a given area inhibits visibility and movement. Treat any square containing a pea zoop swarm as under the effects of a solid fog spell. The senses and movement of pea zoop is unaffected by this.

Skills: Pea zoop swarms have a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks in cloudy, foggy, or smoky areas.

CREAM OF MUSHROOM ZOOP
    HD 1d10-1 (5 hp)
    Speed 10 ft. (2 squares)
    BAB +0, Grp --
    Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Full-Attack Swarm (1d6)
    Space 10 ft ,Reach --
    Special Attacks Distraction, explosive, poison
    Special Qualities Blindsight 60 ft., immune to fire and sonic damage, immune to weapon damage, ooze traits, swarm traits
    Saves Fort -1, Ref 0, Will +0
    Skills
    Feats
    Organization Solitary or package (3-21)
    Challenge Rating 4
    Treasure None
    Advancement
    Level Adjustment
    Combat
    Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a cream of mushroom zoop swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 9 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Explosive (Sp): Once per round, a cream of mushroom zoop swarm can set off an 20-foot spread of explosive flame with the center point at the center of the zoop. This flame detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 (DC 9 Reflex save for half damage) points of fire damage to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure.
    The explosion sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the explosion may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as spell effects do.
    Poison (Ex) : Injury, Fortitude DC 9, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

DUCK ZOOP
    HD 1/4d10-4 (1 hp)
    Speed 5 ft. (1 square), fly 5 feet, swim 5 feet
    BAB +0, Grp --
    Attack Swarm (1d2)
    Full-Attack Swarm (1d2)
    Space 10 ft ,Reach --
    Special Attacks --
    Special Qualities Blindsight 60 ft., immune to weapon damage, ooze traits, swarm traits, uncanny dodge
    Saves Fort -4, Ref 0, Will +0
    Abilities Str 1, Dex 10, Con 2, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills
    Feats
    Organization Solitary or package (3-21)
    Challenge Rating 1/10
    Treasure None
    Advancement
    Level Adjustment

Combat
    Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A duck zoop swarm retains its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if it is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, it still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Change Log

9/17/10 Toned down claims of replacing slaadi. (Thank you, DracoDei.)
    9/17/10 Fixed number agreement. (Thank you, DracoDei)
    9/17/10 Removed erroneous entry from Duck Zoop Combat section.
    9/17/10 Fixed space entries. (Thank you DracoDei)
    9/17/10 Added center point for Explosive. (Thank you DracoDei)
    Last edited by ideasmith; 2010-09-17 at 02:06 PM. Reason: As per Change Log
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warm, Hearty, Zoop

I have been informed that silly is a very specific flavor of D&D (because I do a lot of silly stuff... check the first link in my signature for the biggest one, and the last link in it for all the rest). These don't replace Slaadi (yes, I think we can say that) in a serious game and even in a silly game, the low CRs and lack of intelligence leave some very very big gaps.

Inhabitant of Limbo? Could work.

Replacement for Slaadi? No way.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-16 at 11:47 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

No replacement for the slaad... but very hilarious. I picture an evil grandmotherly character offering someone sick a nice bowl of 'chicken zoop'.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

On a second reading, some of the grammar is questionable (using the singular for a swarm), and "Explosive" needs to specify where the origin point can be.

In addition Swarms have a space (usually 10x10 feet AKA 2x2 squares), just no reach.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-17 at 12:03 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's true... I don't understand why it can't be an ordinary ooze.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-09-17 at 07:00 AM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I have been informed that silly is a very specific flavor of D&D (because I do a lot of silly stuff... check the first link in my signature for the biggest one, and the last link in it for all the rest). These don't replace Slaadi (yes, I think we can say that) in a serious game and even in a silly game, the low CRs and lack of intelligence leave some very very big gaps.

Inhabitant of Limbo? Could work.

Replacement for Slaadi? No way.
    Good point about the Slaadi. Have fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    No replacement for the slaad... but very hilarious. I picture an evil grandmotherly character offering someone sick a nice bowl of 'chicken zoop'.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    On a second reading, some of the grammar is questionable (using the singular for a swarm), and "Explosive" needs to specify where the origin point can be.

In addition Swarms have a space (usually 10x10 feet AKA 2x2 squares), just no reach.
    Thanks for catching those. Have fixed. (I hope).
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    That's true... I don't understand why it can't be an ordinary ooze.
    I felt that ooze swarms fit the concept ‘bizarrely weird creatures of quintessential primordial chaos’ better than plain, ordinary, oozes did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature