New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 335873747576777879808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2461
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Btw, I did make another thread for this, so we don't bog this one down.
    You did? I went looking for it just now but didn't see it on page 1 of this board.

2. - Top - End - #2462
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q1209

If during a round I use one of my hand for any action, can I still give an attack with a two-handed weapon (and thus gain the associated damage bonus) ?

Q1210

Symmetrically, while doing 2-handed attacks am I allowed to free one of my hand to perform an action ?

3. - Top - End - #2463
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1209, 1210

As far as I can tell, there are no rules for it, so it is up to the individual DM.

4. - Top - End - #2464
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    Q1209

If during a round I use one of my hand for any action, can I still give an attack with a two-handed weapon (and thus gain the associated damage bonus) ?

Q1210

Symmetrically, while doing 2-handed attacks am I allowed to free one of my hand to perform an action ?

A1209/1210

Since actions occur in sequential order, and taking a hand off a weapon is a free action, there is nothing stopping you from wielding a two handed weapon and performing actions which require a single hand, such as opening doors or casting spells with somatic components, as it merely a free action to move your hand back to your weapon. If you had a quickened spell with a somatic component ready you could actually cast it in the middle of a full attack if you wished, as you are able to use free actions between the attacks in a full attack.
    Last edited by Crake; 2012-10-28 at 08:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #2465
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    taking a hand off a weapon is a free action,
    Would you prove that please. It's not in the list for free actions.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-28 at 08:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #2466
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 1211
    Are there any uncapped damaging spells besides Wings of Flurry?

7. - Top - End - #2467
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 1209
    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    ... it merely a free action to move your hand back to your weapon.
    That's not RAW. It's up to each individual DM to decide what action is required to re-grip a weapon. One DM might decide that it's a free action, but another require the usual move action necessary to manipulate an item.

A 1210
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Would you prove that please. It's not in the list for free actions.
    Dropping an item is a free action. "Item" is not a D&D term with restricted meaning like "object", so it can include body parts such as hands: hence dropping a hand from a weapon is a free action.

8. - Top - End - #2468
    Ettin in the Playground

Removing your hand from an item is not dropping an item. If you do so, nothing is dropped. I wonder at this liberal interpretation in the RAW thread.

P.S. Of course I would handle it in the same way at my table.

9. - Top - End - #2469
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Removing your hand from an item is not dropping an item.
    Removing your hand (an item) from a weapon (another item) is dropping one of those items. As I stated, "item" is not a term with a restricted D&D definition. A body part is not a D&D object, but it is an item.

10. - Top - End - #2470
    Titan in the Playground

Re: A 1197

Note that while the table for the Rainbow Servant class indicates four lost caster levels, the class features description does not. Because text trumps table, the Rainbow Servant is by RAW a full casting class.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #2471
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A1197
    Yes - once you have completed Rainbow Servant keep taking levels of the original class or Epic Rainbow Servant until you reach the required caster level.
    Ah. See. The thing is that the PrC loses 4 caster levels, and I was looking for a way to get 9ths before Epic.

12. - Top - End - #2472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Removing your hand (an item) from a weapon (another item) is dropping one of those items. As I stated, "item" is not a term with a restricted D&D definition. A body part is not a D&D object, but it is an item.
    I disagree. At least Merriam-Webster's definition does not say or IMHO imply body part or more generally part of a whole. I would not call a hand an item unless it is separated from the rest of the body.

13. - Top - End - #2473
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1212 If I draw Talons from a Deck of Many Things, do I lose the deck as well?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

14. - Top - End - #2474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Ah. See. The thing is that the PrC loses 4 caster levels, and I was looking for a way to get 9ths before Epic.
    *cough* *points up*
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #2475
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1212

An artifact is a magic item, so the deck of many things is also lost.

16. - Top - End - #2476
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1213

Are there any ways to give an object permanent immunity to an energy type? Immunity to electricity, optimally, but any energy type would do.

Alternatively, are there any materials that are immune to electricity?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-10-28 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #2477
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1214

What is the RAW on the numerical effect for the "Sword of Conscience" spell (BoED 109)? I cannot seem to find out how much wis and cha damage it does. Is the effect based upon the strength of the foe's aura, HD, alignment, the deeds it has done, or something else?

A1213

All of the energy immunity/resist spells from divine casters affect creatures, not objects. If you can use a creature as a weapon (monk, hulking hurler, etc), then that would work. Otherwise, you could make a weapon/object out of stone or bone or wood (AaEG 12; DMG 144) Don't forget that objects you have on you are able to use your saves against spells in some cases. Making the weapon/object spell-reflecting/absorbing might also work. Also: antimagic field.

If you magically craft a weapon yourself, you could ask your GM if you could stick an energy immunity spell on it, but that's not RAW. A wondrous item seems very likely to be able to have this property.

Aurorum (BoED 38) reforms after it is destroyed, so it is effectively immune. There are a number of divine spells that will create simple objects out of ice or stone (Stone Shape PHB; Stone Shape, Greater SC; Ice Shape Fb), and with a craft check you can make more complex objects. Many of the "Wall of..." spells are immune to all energy types but one, and some are able to form domes or more complex structures.

What kind of application do you need this for (what kind of object), and is it immunity vs. magical electricity/energy, or natural electricity?
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2012-10-28 at 10:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #2478
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    Q1214

What is the RAW on the numerical effect for the "Sword of Conscience" spell (BoED 109)? I cannot seem to find out how much wis and cha damage it does. Is the effect based upon the strength of the foe's aura, HD, alignment, the deeds it has done, or something else?
    A1214
    From the bottom right corner of p.109:
    Consequences of Sword of Conscience
    —-Wisdom and Charisma Damage—-
    {table]Creature/Object | 1d6 | 1d8 | 2d6 | 2d8
    Evil creature[1] (HD) | 10 or lower | 11–25 | 26–50 | 51+
    Evil elemental or undead (HD) | 2 or lower | 3–8 | 9–20 | 21+
    Evil outsider (HD)| 1 or lower | 2–4 | 5–10 | 11+
    Cleric of an evil deity[2] (Class levels) | 1 | 2–4 | 5–10 | 11+[/table]

[1] Except for evil elementals, undead, and outsiders, which have their own entries on
    the table.
    [2] Some characters who are not clerics may radiate an aura of equivalent power. The class description will indicate whether this applies.
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-10-29 at 01:09 AM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

19. - Top - End - #2479
    Banned

Q1215
    If a creature has a Strength penalty and Sneak Attack, when it rolls its normal damage and gets a 1, does it subtract its Strength penalty from the Sneak Attack damage, or is the damage capped at a minimum of 1 before Sneak Attack is added?

20. - Top - End - #2480
    Orc in the Playground

Q1216

Is it possible to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency if you do not have proficiency with Martial Weapons? Or even Simple Weapons. This is mostly for Eidolons/Pathfinder.

Q1217

Is it possible to Mix and Match weapon and unarmed attacks during TWF? As in, using Weapon 1 as a primary weapon, and using kick as an off-hand weapon.

Q1218

Related to Q1216. Can an Eidolon use natural attacks combined with a weapon? Like a Weapon + Bite + Gore + Slam at level 1.

21. - Top - End - #2481
    Titan in the Playground

A: 1217

That's one of those hot-button topics. There's a lengthy discussion here.

Do be warned, I don't think they've actually come to a concensus.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-29 at 02:33 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

22. - Top - End - #2482
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1215

Neither. Sneak attack is part of your damage. You add up everything, positive as well as negative numbers. Only the end result will never be below 1. It's weapon damage dice + weapon enhancement bonus + STR Bonus/Penalty + Sneak Attack dice + other damage bonuses.

A 1216

In 3.5 yes, the only prerequisite for Exotic Weapon Proficiency is BAB 1 (and STR 13 for certain exotic weapons). I can't say for pathfinder though
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-29 at 02:52 AM.

23. - Top - End - #2483
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Re: A 1197
    Note that while the table for the Rainbow Servant class indicates four lost caster levels, the class features description does not. Because text trumps table, the Rainbow Servant is by RAW a full casting class.
    Admittedly this is FAQ not Errata, but the Rainbow Servant is one where the FAQ is usually regarded to be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Does the rainbow servant (CD 54) and sacred fist (CD
    59) gain spellcasting levels for every level of the class or just
    levels shown on their table?

In the Sage’s opinion, these classes gain spellcasting as
    their tables indicate. Normally, if there is a difference between
    what a table says and what the ability indicates in its written
    explanation, we suggest you use the written rules. This
    exception, however, maintains a good game balance for these
    classes within the larger game.

24. - Top - End - #2484
    Ettin in the Playground

While this may possibly be closer to the intention of the writers, FAQ cannot change rules. Why they did not bother to change it in the respective errata I don't know. As it stands the FAQ is wrong in that case because of the official text trumps table rule.

25. - Top - End - #2485
    Banned

Why would the company even bother to issue FAQ if they were not just as binding as rule errata? It makes no sense to treat anything that comes from Wizards as NOT being part of RAW. If it's something like a former Wizards employee writing on his blog about his intended changes to the book he wrote, I can see an argument for disregarding that opinion, even though it comes straight from the author. But anything from Wotco comes straight from the entire publication department, and has presumably been approved. If you can just disregard it as "not RAW", why does it exist?

26. - Top - End - #2486
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Why would the company even bother to issue FAQ if they were not just as binding as rule errata? It makes no sense to treat anything that comes from Wizards as NOT being part of RAW. If it's something like a former Wizards employee writing on his blog about his intended changes to the book he wrote, I can see an argument for disregarding that opinion, even though it comes straight from the author. But anything from Wotco comes straight from the entire publication department, and has presumably been approved. If you can just disregard it as "not RAW", why does it exist?
    The purpose of FAQ is to explain RAW if it is unclear/ambiguous and not to contradict it. If the writers found out that the RAW produce results other than the intended ones, the rules need to be changed. Until this is the case, the FAQ are irrelevant if they contradict the rules.

27. - Top - End - #2487
    Firbolg in the Playground

The purpose of FAQ is to explain RAW if it is unclear/ambiguous and not to contradict it. If the writers found out that the RAW produce results other than the intended ones, the rules need to be changed. Until this is the case, the FAQ are irrelevant if they contradict the rules.
    To add to this, the FAQs are often answered by people who did not understand the rules whatsoever, which is why only printed errata is respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #2488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    The FAQ only exists to give semi-official answers based on a reading of the rules done by a customer relations employee.

That's read; someone with no more to go on than we do, except maybe a vague memory of what was intended by one of the designers that's got his mind on the current project, if (s)he's lucky.

Then of course there's the fact that they've made suggestions that are blatantly against the rules as they were most likely intended, nevermind the actuall rules as they appear in the books.

It's a simple matter of credibility really.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-29 at 04:18 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

29. - Top - End - #2489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    A: 1217

That's one of those hot-button topics. There's a lengthy discussion here.

Do be warned, I don't think they've actually come to a concensus.
    You can two weapon fight with an unarmed weapon

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/spe...WeaponFighting

If your off-hand weapon is light, the penalties are reduced by 2 each. (An unarmed strike is always considered light.)
    I read this as unambiguously stating that an unarmed strike can be your off-hand weapon.

The debate in the linked thread seems to be about a more complicated attack than just using an unarmed strike as your offhand weapon

30. - Top - End - #2490
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1219

How far can one fall in a single round?