New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

biggrin Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

well, dragonborn DLC trailer got released. Needless to say that it was moving and epic. So let me give you What's gonna go down on December 4th:

Cortana(From Halo 4): "Chief, we need to stop the didact and the covanent from destroying earth!"

Master Chief(Me): "Huh, Our relation ship is over. It was a nice three weeks though..."

Cortana: "What about earth? Wait, what's that on your head?"

MC(Now wearing Dragonborn Helmet): "Oh, this?(points at head) Time for me to go back to being FUS ROH DAHwesome!!!"

Also, did anybody else see that mindflayer in the trailer? Cause i think we're in for some hurt if that's the case.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by killer_monk View Post
    Also, did anybody else see that mindflayer in the trailer? Cause i think we're in for some hurt if that's the case.
    Actually, the whole thing looks pretty... tentacly?... tentaclish?...

Screw it. There are a **** load of tentacles in the trailer. Defiantly getting a heavy Lovecraft-vibe from a lot of the visuals. I'm thinking good old Hermaeus Mora, our resident Outer-thing/librarian, might have a big part to play in the DLC.
    Last edited by Rake21; 2012-11-16 at 01:12 PM.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thumbs up Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

I think you may be right. I'm just glad that I get to ride a dragon. And there may also be pole arms being added. Pretty exciting.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Not a mindflayer, it's an Ascended Sleeper.

There's a mass of Morrowind references in the new DLC, and it looks like some older faces showing up. Telvani architecture as well. Cautiously optimistic about this DLC, likely to do one of three things: Get the Morrowind stuff right, thus being awesome ; not get the Morrowind stuff right, which'll annoy those who like Morrowind, but have good mechanics and gameplay ; not work at all and fail completely.

Hoping for the first option, though the second option'll be cool as well.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Looks pretty badass. I know I'll be buying it.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post

There's a mass of Morrowind references in the new DLC, and it looks like some older faces showing up. Telvani architecture as well. Cautiously optimistic about this DLC, likely to do one of three things: Get the Morrowind stuff right, thus being awesome ; not get the Morrowind stuff right, which'll annoy those who like Morrowind, but have good mechanics and gameplay ; not work at all and fail completely.

Hoping for the first option, though the second option'll be cool as well.
    So, as a guy who never played Morrowind, I just want to make sure I understand this Corpus thing.

It's basically a disease that drives you nuts, connects you to an insane god-like entity, and warps your body into a twisted abomination. Is that about right?

Cause that's awesome.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    It's something called a Seeker (most likely a lesser daedra serving Hermaeus Mora). The name was revealed by the filename on one of the 12 released screenshots (it should have a section on Dragonborn - if you don't see it, change the language to english).

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    So, as a guy who never played Morrowind, I just want to make sure I understand this Corpus thing.

It's basically a disease that drives you nuts, connects you to an insane god-like entity, and warps your body into a twisted abomination. Is that about right?

Cause that's awesome.
    It also makes you immortal (as in: can't die of old age), though most victims die due to various accidents. Though we should use the past tense - after the events of Morrowind it lost most of it's potential.

8. - Top - End - #1418

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    It's something called a Seeker (most likely a lesser daedra serving Hermaeus Mora). The name was revealed by the filename on one of the 12 released screenshots (it should have a section on Dragonborn - if you don't see it, change the language to english).
    That's a shame. Should be interesting to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post

Cause that's awesome.
    Basically zombie cancer. Makes you immortal as well. And insane.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see
    - Morrowind's Bloodmoon showed Skyrim via Solstheim (Viking, Snow, and Mead)
    - Now, Skyrim's Dragonborn is showing Morrowind Solstheim (Mushroom, Dark Elves, and Corpus)
    Haven't heard the Skyrim theme for a long time.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I just got the game (A year late, I know), and was wondering what skill trees were good for a newbie to level. I'm currently a heavy-armor sword-and-board, but is there something easier/more effective?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woodzyowl View Post
    I just got the game (A year late, I know), and was wondering what skill trees were good for a newbie to level. I'm currently a heavy-armor sword-and-board, but is there something easier/more effective?
    Basically any "pure" build would work fine. Hardest, I think, of those is the pure 2handed warrior (blocking can be a... It's slow).

Stealth / Archer is easy. So is the one you are playing. Also pure mage (summoner is the easiest, I think).

However there are certain hybrid builds that are really good: Battle mage (heavy armor, enchanting, magic) for example.

Also, if you are a warrior of some kind, learn smithing.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Also pure mage (summoner is the easiest, I think).
    Summoner/Illussionist can work nicely. Though if you plan to go all the way to level 81, the latter will start to have problems (the spells can't affect creatures of that level). A mage focusing on Destruction has a hard life on higher levels (unless you go for 100% cost reduction - which I tend not to do - and then spam doublecasted spells with Impact).

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Any melee build will work nicely. The advantage of two handed weapons is that hen you swing, it is impossible for the enemy to block your attack, and from my experience you also have a slight reach advantage over other weapons.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

That's really the easiest way to do it. Add Smithing to the mix for maximum survivability. Smithing is much harder to grind now, after a change with the 1.5 patch which has it based on cost.

Of course it's still possible to grind it, it just takes more persistence.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulm11 View Post
    Any melee build will work nicely. The advantage of two handed weapons is that hen you swing, it is impossible for the enemy to block your attack, and from my experience you also have a slight reach advantage over other weapons.
    When your hen swings, you should be worried.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

When your hen swings, you should be worried.
    Of course the most deadly weapon in the game is a hen. Just look at any Zelda game. The most deadly creature is not the fire breathing dragon, but the chicken.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Troll in the Playground

That's Cucco, thank you.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2012-11-18 at 01:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

HMmm... I started over today. Or rather I finally decided which one of my four concept characters I would play ( played all four up to lvl 5 about... 5 months ago).

I give you: My second archer rogue, this time with more mage!

Erelinde, the High Elf rogue!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

So... Bound bow or not? I am mainly focusing on archery, stealth and illusion, with some destruction as an emergency exit strategy. It (bound bow) would fit nicely with my character but on the other hand that was basically the only spell I used with my female orc rogue, and it is a pain to get. On the plus side is that you never risk running out of arrows, it doesn't weigh anything and up to late mid game it is overpowered for your level (it is damage equal to a daedric bow with daedric arrows).

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woodzyowl View Post
    I'll add my vote about Smithing being quite useful. Finding good equipment to buy off the shelf is a fickle prospect at most stores, and even then it doesn't hurt to bump up the stats with a little smithing.
    Just pick one side of the Smith tree and stay on that side. For you, since you're going heavy armor, that would be the right side.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'll add my vote about Smithing being quite useful. Finding good equipment to buy off the shelf is a fickle prospect at most stores, and even then it doesn't hurt to bump up the stats with a little smithing.
    Just pick one side of the Smith tree and stay on that side. For you, since you're going heavy armor, that would be the right side.
    Even if you don't grind it, it is a good way to make money early on. Longbows and Hunting bows can be upgraded using firewood, which is free... it increases their value quite a bit. Also if you can carry the weight, shoot a deer or goat (or of course any predator attacking you) on the way to the local town; upgrading hide armors or leather armors (etc) with what is basically free hides both help you increase smithing (by first making leather, then upgrading the items) and increasing their value before selling them.
    Of course this is only if you can handle the weight... A good tip is to only carry things that are worth 10 times their weight in coin, but if you have the space, go for it.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

If you're on PC, SkyUI, which is basically a requirement, has the option to sort by value/weight by clicking the column. That way you can sort for value.

23. - Top - End - #1433

DrowGirl

I prefer alchemy for money making over smithing, tbh. And it gives you the advantage of high level healing and magicka potions, which is awesome.

Currently finishing off my hearthfire house. Two disappointments so far with Hearthfire:

- Fixed slots for each tower/wing. I wanted a Library, Enchanting Room, and Greenhouse, but Enchanting conflicted with the greenhouse. So had to settle for an alchemy lab instead of enchanting room (and now am having immense fun with the bookshelves mod that allows a number of books depending on their length rather than an arbitrary number. Full bookshelves AND an easy way to put soulgems on a shelf. :3)
    - Couldn't adopt Aventus Aretino.

Otherwise, enjoying it a lot. My house is awesome.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Troll in the Playground

There's a mod that sends Aventus back to honorhall orphanage.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So... Bound bow or not? I am mainly focusing on archery, stealth and illusion, with some destruction as an emergency exit strategy. It (bound bow) would fit nicely with my character but on the other hand that was basically the only spell I used with my female orc rogue, and it is a pain to get. On the plus side is that you never risk running out of arrows, it doesn't weigh anything and up to late mid game it is overpowered for your level (it is damage equal to a daedric bow with daedric arrows).
    Bound bow is a pain in the butt to get alright, but you can buy it from the wizard in Morthal.

It's an expensive spell to cast, requiring several upgrades to magicka, enchantments increasing magicka or fortifying conjuration, or the adept conjuring perk to halve its cost. It is also not inherently silenced, so you have to cast it before you get in trouble, not afterwards. With a duration of 2 minutes, and a casting cost that will usually regenerate before that time is up, however, this is rarely a deal breaker.

It's also a good sight more powerful than the bound sword and battle ax, even before Mystic Binding, and comes with 100 arrows per summoning (which you'll likely not use half of). All told, it's a pretty handy spell, especially early on, if you can take advantage of it.

On top of that, you also have the advantages of any bound weapon: namely, readily available weapons with soul trap/banishment enchantments of effectively infinite charge, allowing you to save the slots on physical weapons for useful enchantments.

Of course, you know all that. For a particular character, I guess the real question is "Would the character find practical benefits as outweighing the bother to make proper use of it?". It would make sense for a sniper who likes not having weapons that found during a search, for instance. Or a thief who likes being unarmed right up until the moment they're suddenly not.

Besides, that summoning animation is badass.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-11-19 at 01:54 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

So... Bound bow or not?
    Well, it woulf definately fit both the build and the character's race. And if you don't plan to use smithing, it's definately the best bow to use.

Though I'm not sure why is it such a pain to get
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is a copy of the tome in Fort Amol prison, which I don't recall being particularly tough...

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd say not. Arrows don't weigh anything, and selling smithed/enchanted weapons at the Drunken Huntsman will have you drowning in Ebony Arrows.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    If you're on PC, SkyUI, which is basically a requirement, has the option to sort by value/weight by clicking the column. That way you can sort for value.
    *makes a note* See, I've decided to reinstall Skyrim enticed by the new DLC and knowing there's like a bajillion mods for it now and people have had time to polish the better ones. The clunky UI was always something that bothered me of the vanilla game.

Another thing that bothered me somewhat was the combat. Is there anything that makes the combat a bit faster or more responsive? Also, I've seen some mods that claim to boost framerate or give better textures at low settings. Do any of those actually work? I was playing on minimum settings and even then I'd hit 4 FPS every time a mage decided to fireball my face off. Anything to help with that would be great.

Any other excellent mods?
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-11-19 at 05:38 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've never had so much as a hiccup when I play Skyrim in combat, though my system is admittedly defense-budget expensive. What's your current hardware setup?

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

A good way to deal with the bound bow issue is to immediately carriage to Windhelm, and then do Blood on the Ice. If you do it the correct way you get the Necromancer's Amulet, which cuts the cost of Conjuration AND provides a boost to magicka.

To go along with SkyUI, Categorized Favorites menu is da bomb. I use the Oni Edition config which supports every single mod I use it seems. Midas Magic, Jaysus Swords, Extended Vanilla Weapons, Wearable Lanterns and Immersive Armors. Everything I need.

I'm also in love with New Alchemy and Enchanting Effects. I understand it's not for everyone, but the addition of the merchants who sell useful things is a god send, particularly for some of the Immersive armors which want things like Dragon Bones, Snow Fox Pelts and Troll Skulls which are hard to find at best and down right impossible at worst if you don't know where to look.